As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Working as a police officer/ and or DOC

Bwah?Bwah? Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Could someone(either directly or from someone you know) give me some insight into working as a police officer/state trooper? I'm also interested in working for the DOC. I would rather start here with input from PA'ers instead of google.

Thanks

EDIT: DOC= Department of Corrections

MGSsig.jpg
Bwah? on

• Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What are you looking to know?

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In what state are you interested in working?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Michigan... (yea I know)

I really haven't formulated any intelligent questions- I figured I could get input and structure the questions around that

Bwah? on
    MGSsig.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    well, I'll be applying for the hillsborough county Sheriff's office pretty soon

I am told I'll be doing 2 weeks of almost-Military-grade basic training
    9 months of general Police academy
    and 2 or so months of specific training at HCSO

at HCSO you must be
    21 years old
    A citizen
    have a valid liscence
    no illegal drugs within 3 years of applying
    no tobacco use for 6 months prior to applying
    no felonies
    no misdemeanors that involve perjury, false statementsm or domestic violence

must have high school diploma or GED

60 semester hours or Associate's degree of study at college, uni, or comm college
    or military service
    or prior police work

no more than 3 moving violations in past 5 years
    no more than 5 moving violations total

have you studied being a police officer at all?
    I hope you realize the job is 70% paperwork, 25% doing nothing exciting and 5% responding to usually boring calls

A lot of police officers have never fired their gun outside of a range
    and a few have never even unholstered it outside a range

I dunno if Florida's anything like michigan but let me know, I'll see if I can answer anything general in particular

Raneados on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I may be able to give some insight (or rather generalizations that I have noticed):
    ~I live in Maryland, so all the info is about my State~

1. How well you do in the Academy determines where you are placed. I think the person that does the best gets to select where he wants to go.
    2. One thing I have to keep reminding myself about police officers as a whole is that 'they are human' they do normal human things, have normal families, etc., but there are some that get off on the power they have over people, I would stay away from them (you probably already knew that).
    3. If you fail the physical test for the academy, don't give up and keep trying. When I went out for the Baltimore County Police Department I failed the physical (I had to bench press my own body weight which was 250ibs; it didn't happen).
    4. Don't be scared of the polygraph test. And the most important caveat to the previous sentence: When you put your answers down before they test you don't change them. I had a good friend of mine failed a PG because he forgot about a scrap he got into as a child and changed his answer, so stay firm in your convictions.

Also to get a better feel for what you may be doing go to your local PD and ask if you can go on a "ride along (or whatever the heck they call it)" While your there you can talk to the officer with you and he could give you actual tips and hints that are applicable to your area. Good luck in your endeavors and I hope you make it.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    For general questions and such, try http://forums.officer.com/ as one place to start. They have a forum dedicated to the application process, and also a forum for each state; you can just sit and read the application stuff in the former and perhaps ask questions about your speciic department in the latter.

They also have a lot of different forums focusing on different facets of law enforcement; everything from being an MP in the army to corrections to K9 work, so between everything you should find what you are looking for.

I don't have much to offer directly, as my interest (and focus right now) is trying for patrol officer, and I have no idea how that compares to corrections.

Threelemmings on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    My ladyfriend wants to be a cop but is having major problems because of poor credit history. Make sure you have that locked up before anything else. Also, I heard it's easier being a cop in general with some military time under your belt.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have a friend who is a special constable (i.e. a volunteer) in the UK, so does about 4 hours a week. He loves it, although I suspect the novelty would wear off if you did it full time.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for the input guys- Also I found that police forum helpful.

I'm aware of the requirements and that it's not all excitement.

Any other input?

Bwah? on
    MGSsig.jpg