Options

NXE, That new Xbox Dashboard Thing?

• Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't see how the NXE will change how you view achievements. It isn't any harder or easier to check them out.

Ranced on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ranced wrote: »
    I don't see how the NXE will change how you view achievements. It isn't any harder or easier to check them out.
    It's less of a pain to view them, but it adds the annoyance of seeing those half-filled bars when you're flipping through your library or whatever. ;p

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Still waiting for my 360 coffin to arrive.

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    While I know there are going to be ads no matter what, there's one thing I wish they'd change about that Spotlight section. I wish that they'd mix up the ads whenever the 360 boots up or I go back to the Dashboard. That way it wouldn't constantly be that same Lips ad in the front every time. I've noticed the ads switching around behind it, but that Lips one is always in the front. Might make the ads a least a little less annoying.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I update, plug in my iPod Nano 2G, play a few tracks without issue, then attempt to load all of my 1500 odd tracks to throw them into shuffle. I get checkerboarding and my 360 freezes.

I reboot, I get a few seconds of the intro, checkboard then freezing, and 3 quadrants light up on the front of my console. I unplug, replug, boot again. Now I don't even get a display, just the same RROD.

Now I'm waiting for a box to send it back to Microsoft. I have a launch-day console, so it's literally weeks out of the 'extended' 3 year warranty. What do you think the chances of MS repairing/replacing it for free are, considering this is post update?

(On the other hand, what are the chances of me getting a bigger HDD back? :P)

Rohaq on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just bought a 120 GB HDD on Amazon for $139. Expensive, but in the end being able to install a bunch of games will be worth it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    chesspiecefacechesspieceface Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rohaq wrote: »

You don't send your HDD in with the console when you exchange them. They just take your broken xbox and send you out a refurbished one.

in other news, I was trying to watch "Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film" on my netflix queue earlier through the 360 and kept getting horrible delay in the sound track. I've not had this issue on any thing else i've watched. Anyone out there with the netflix want to queue this up and see if they also get the disjointed sound track?

chesspieceface on
    WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
    Willie Tanner Livestream
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Just bought a 120 GB HDD on Amazon for $139. Expensive, but in the end being able to install a bunch of games will be worth it.
    Not all games benefit from install to HDD though. This link contains a table that compiles the data gathered from the folks at Avforums, NeoGAF, etc.

The chart.

I will say, Warriors Orochi 2 feels like it loads levels maybe 10-30 seconds faster. I'm doing WU-4 Proficiency farming runs to finish off the achievements for it and a single go clocked in at 4:00 minutes from stage selection, but that was a run I made with 4 errors. (+5-10 seconds each).

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Not all games benefit from install to HDD though. This link contains a table that compiles the data gathered from the folks at Avforums, NeoGAF, etc.

The chart.

I will say, Warriors Orochi 2 feels like it loads levels maybe 10-30 seconds faster. I'm doing WU-4 Proficiency farming runs to finish off the achievements for it and a single go clocked in at 4:00 minutes from stage selection, but that was a run I made with 4 errors. (+5-10 seconds each).

Oh yeah I know. I just would have liked to have more than 2 games installed at a time. Marvel Ultimate Alliance has almost NO loading times now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You don't send your HDD in with the console when you exchange them. They just take your broken xbox and send you out a refurbished one.

in other news, I was trying to watch "Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film" on my netflix queue earlier through the 360 and kept getting horrible delay in the sound track. I've not had this issue on any thing else i've watched. Anyone out there with the netflix want to queue this up and see if they also get the disjointed sound track?

Yeah, send in the console only. Keep your power brick, AV cable, controllers, hard drive, memory card, hell, even the faceplate.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

I know, but I heard reports of people getting replacement consoles back with HDDs. a shiny 60GB would be nice.

Here's hoping for a free repair, anyway.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh yeah I know. I just would have liked to have more than 2 games installed at a time. Marvel Ultimate Alliance has almost NO loading times now.

Really? I've had MUA since forever and never gotten more than halfway through it. Everybody I play it with keeps abandoning me. :x

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I know, but I heard reports of people getting replacement consoles back with HDDs. a shiny 60GB would be nice.

That's really, really, hells of unlikely. Don't even bother hoping for one.

Ranced on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    templewulf wrote: »

Really? I've had MUA since forever and never gotten more than halfway through it. Everybody I play it with keeps abandoning me. :x

Yeah man, there's almost no pause in the beginning... The only real load time is when you get to the SHIELD save point and try to edit your team.

I'd play MUA with you, but I just beat it for the 3rd time recently. Kinda need a break :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yeah man, there's almost no pause in the beginning... The only real load time is when you get to the SHIELD save point and try to edit your team.

I'd play MUA with you, but I just beat it for the 3rd time recently. Kinda need a break :P

I might be willing to slog through it myself if the loads are really that small. Thanks for the notice!

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I'd hit some MUA action up with you. I still need the multiplayer achievements for it. :U

Also, if anybody has Lego Star Wars... I'd love to try and knock that out too, heh.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Which Lego Star Wars? I have the Complete Saga.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Which Lego Star Wars? I have the Complete Saga.
    Complete Saga. You know you love a game when you buy that and you own the originals on your PS2, lol.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Wow - tomorrow when my 60GB shows up I'll gladly play. I'll send you a PM. MUA was one of my favorites, and I was so close to actually have a complete gamerscore on it, but never had any multiplayer stuff.

And the no load times would be great. I've seen the big grid of games and load times, but would love to just see a small list of the best ones to install. I would have never thought to install MUA, but hearing how great it makes it, I def will now.

On a 60GB drive, I know I'll have about 10 with RB songs right away. I'll be installing RB2 (because the disc is near death, and hopefully it will save it), Fable 2 and Left 4 Dead for sure. Not sure how much space will be left after that...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I'd hit some MUA action up with you. I still need the multiplayer achievements for it. :U

Also, if anybody has Lego Star Wars... I'd love to try and knock that out too, heh.

I don't think I have you on my friends list. As indicated in my signature, my XB name is also templewulf.

Come to think of it, a MUA premium theme for NXE would be pretty awesome.

Edit:
    I didn't think there would be much interest in MUA, since I'm way, way LTTP. I'm all for some hot group action. Add me on XBox, and we'll party chat up some coordinated times.

Also, I call Dr. Strange.

templewulf on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I saw you online playing Burnout Revenge and remembered you talking about how excited you were to try with installs—how is it?

My 20GB is really hurtin' for space. I've had to delete a number of my XBLA games just to make room for a Fable II install (6.8 freaking gigs!).

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

I saw you online playing Burnout Revenge and remembered you talking about how excited you were to try with installs—how is it?

My 20GB is really hurtin' for space. I've had to delete a number of my XBLA games just to make room for a Fable II install (6.8 freaking gigs!).

Revenge install makes it MUCH more manageable if you lose a race. Half the time I was getting angry that I lost because I had to sit around for 20-30 seconds to retry. Now it's at most 10 seconds.

Really good for Burning Laps. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    OmegasquashOmegasquash Boston, MARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    My 20GB is really hurtin' for space.

THIS, so very, very hard. I want to give MS some cash for the 120 gig drive, but I can't justify the prices. I hope (against hope) that the price will drop post-holiday. I've been looking forward to the sound of my disc drive NOT spinning, and only being able to do it with Gears 2 is a slight downer.

Omegasquash on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I might be willing to slog through it myself if the loads are really that small. Thanks for the notice!

If you're looking for someone to run through MUA with, I have the game, some Live cards, and a lack of reason to use them.

Having only downloaded Bring Down the Sky and Castle Crashers, I don't have the troubles with installing games :D. I just delete when I'm done and install the next.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I want to buy the 120 gig also...on two conditions...price drops a little and I can transfer everything on my HD to the new one...we'll see.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I want to buy the 120 gig also...on two conditions...price drops a little and I can transfer everything on my HD to the new one...we'll see.

It comes with a transfer cable to move all your data from one hard drive to the other.

Price drop, well... we'll see.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I will pay no more then $100 for a 120gig HDD. I don't even want to pay that really but I really want the drive and that is the highest I can justify paying for it.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I don't think I have you on my friends list. As indicated in my signature, my XB name is also templewulf.

Come to think of it, a MUA premium theme for NXE would be pretty awesome.

Edit:
    I didn't think there would be much interest in MUA, since I'm way, way LTTP. I'm all for some hot group action. Add me on XBox, and we'll party chat up some coordinated times.

Also, I call Dr. Strange.
    I'll shoot you a message when I can do that. I'm grinding Warriors Orochi 2 hard. Fallout 3 + Fable 2 + GoW 2 took me off the track to full completion and I'm already beyond the point of just walking away.

It'd be like getting 1,400 multi-player matches in GoW2 and not taking the time to play the others.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It comes with a transfer cable to move all your data from one hard drive to the other.

So it's pretty easy to do?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

So it's pretty easy to do?

Yeah, just follow the instructions. Just ensure that you plug it into the rear USB port.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'll probably get the 120gig when it doesn't cost as much as two games. Right now I am fine with installing one game at a time.

Ranced on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will pay no more then $100 for a 120gig HDD. I don't even want to pay that really but I really want the drive and that is the highest I can justify paying for it.

It can be done for $40 if you have an existing 360 hard drive. That's how much the hard drive used in the official 120gig can be purchased for online. You can Google everything, I'll just say that it works and it works on Live. Nobody has gotten banned for doing this...maybe they got banned for playing copied games (which this in no way allows you to do) but not this.

Nothing is free though, it's a bit of work. More than just plugging it in and waiting like you will if you pony up the $130 or whatever it is.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

THIS, so very, very hard. I want to give MS some cash for the 120 gig drive, but I can't justify the prices. I hope (against hope) that the price will drop post-holiday. I've been looking forward to the sound of my disc drive NOT spinning, and only being able to do it with Gears 2 is a slight downer.

Same here. Damn my RB2 DLC habit. Though I'm not optimistic for a price drop... the wireless dongle is still a hundred freaking bucks, after all.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    It can be done for $40 if you have an existing 360 hard drive. That's how much the hard drive used in the official 120gig can be purchased for online. You can Google everything, I'll just say that it works and it works on Live. Nobody has gotten banned for doing this...maybe they got banned for playing copied games (which this in no way allows you to do) but not this.

Nothing is free though, it's a bit of work. More than just plugging it in and waiting like you will if you pony up the $130 or whatever it is.

You'll also void the warranty on the drive (naturally). However, I'd say read the new EULA, before pursuing this. It isn't illegal, but their interpretation can be wonky.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm not going to do anything that is not 100% legit. It's tempting but I would rather not take the chance.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm not going to do anything that is not 100% legit. It's tempting but I would rather not take the chance.

Good choice, and I agree with you.

I wouldn't want to take the chance either.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Same here. Damn my RB2 DLC habit. Though I'm not optimistic for a price drop... the wireless dongle is still a hundred freaking bucks, after all.

I would spring for the 60GB if it were $50 or $60, maybe. I was considering jumping on a new HD even before the whole NXE thing, but honestly, I'm really impressed by how quick the install time for each game is, so much so that I'm not all that bothered about just hot-swapping the one game install I can fit every so often. And I can still manage playing from the disc if I don't have the time or desire to install right at that very moment.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    So does my xbox have to be connected to the internet to play .avi files now? After I install the media update, it still prompts me to download it each time.

My googleing has told me that some people have to, some people don't. Does anyone know what makes it like this, if I can fix it, etc.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    OmegasquashOmegasquash Boston, MARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I would spring for the 60GB if it were $50 or $60, maybe. I was considering jumping on a new HD even before the whole NXE thing, but honestly, I'm really impressed by how quick the install time for each game is, so much so that I'm not all that bothered about just hot-swapping the one game install I can fit every so often. And I can still manage playing from the disc if I don't have the time or desire to install right at that very moment.

True indeed. I just...I can't imagine that they're making money on those drives right now. Perhaps I'm looking at the scenario through my own, comfortable lens, but everyone else that I've spoken too that doesn't have a 360 has raised an eyebrow at the price.

But the $50 mark...that piques my "perceived value" radar.

Omegasquash on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So does my xbox have to be connected to the internet to play .avi files now? After I install the media update, it still prompts me to download it each time.

My googleing has told me that some people have to, some people don't. Doe's anyone know what makes it like this, if I can fix it, etc.

Try clearing out your cache? Pretty sure the method is in the OP.

freakish light on