As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NXE, That new Xbox Dashboard Thing?

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    wishda wrote: »
    Edit: and fucking tv shows. If you're going to have episodes from a season not available, make them all from one disc. Random episodes interspersed through the season is fucking annoying.

From what I've read, the Microsoft/Netflix deal has been a huge success, much more than anyone expected. As a result, a lot of studios are trying to renegotiate their deals. Others - like the BBC - are pulling out of Netflix in favor of their own digital distribution methods.

If that's the case, hopefully things will settle down in a month or two then.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So this is getting very annoying. Full length movies won't even start for me. TV shows stop at 61 percent and don't restart.

I'm paying for Netflix for his, and all it's doing is proving to be a pain. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ilmmad wrote: »
    So this is getting very annoying. Full length movies won't even start for me. TV shows stop at 61 percent and don't restart.

I'm paying for Netflix for his, and all it's doing is proving to be a pain. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

Odd. Try restarting your 360 and trying again. I've had it hang on me once but no problems since then. You could also check out Netflix's website, they might have some additional support there or a # you can call.

What shows/movies are you guys watching? I haven't browsed the entire list, but it's been awesome catching up on a lot of my foreign movie tastes :) City of Men (tv show) is really good.

aBlank on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, someone was telling me that it's possible to install even larger HD's then the 120 gb on a 360. I'm kind of suspicious of that claim. Is it actually possible?

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    aBlank wrote: »
    ilmmad wrote: »

Odd. Try restarting your 360 and trying again. I've had it hang on me once but no problems since then. You could also check out Netflix's website, they might have some additional support there or a # you can call.

What shows/movies are you guys watching? I haven't browsed the entire list, but it's been awesome catching up on a lot of my foreign movie tastes :) City of Men (tv show) is really good.

I'm forced to restart whenever it freezes when determining quality for full-length movies.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    So, someone was telling me that it's possible to install even larger HD's then the 120 gb on a 360. I'm kind of suspicious of that claim. Is it actually possible?

I'm sure you could, but if Live detects that you're using an unofficial drive, you'll get banned.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

Not without getting your console permanently banned from Xbox Live

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm gonna email Gabe and ask him if there's any chance of a Penny-Arcade premium theme after seeing how nice the ATHF theme looks.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I'm gonna email Gabe and ask him if there's any chance of a Penny-Arcade premium theme after seeing how nice the ATHF theme looks.

Okay, I would be all over that.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, god, I can only hope.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I figured as much. Well, time to ask for a 120 gb HD for Christmas!

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Premium Themes... need a catchier name. Themiums? Puh-themes? Dashbling?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Cashgrab Mcdashblings

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    Premium Themes... need a catchier name. Themiums? Puh-themes? Dashbling?

<3

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hi Gabe,

Ever since I got my 360, I've been using either the PA Ultraskin or the Hawk/Hare theme during the winter months. I really love your art, and you did a great job using the 360 dashboard as a canvas.

Now that the new 360 dashboard thing is out, you can still use the old themes as backgrounds or you can use new 'premium' themes that change more than the background wallpaper and generally look pretty slick. I know you're a busy guy, especially around this time of year, but I was just wondering if there were any plans for the future to make a Penny-Arcade premium theme. I know I'd buy it.

Also, it'd be 5 times as awesome if you find somewhere to put Twisp and Catsby in it. Easily my favorite characters you guys have come up with.

Thanks for reading and happy holidays,
    -_____

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Needs Div, as well.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Don't worry, I'm sure Khoo has Gabe slaving away at one as we speak.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So not sure if this is NXE related, and a google search didn't yeild much info, but Gamertag recovery takes HOURS now, apparently.

Long story short - found out Rock Band screws up when I'm logged in. So before deleting my save, I figured I'd see if it was the profile. Moved the tag to an MU as a back-up. Recovered the tag on the XBox.

After about 15 minutes, the progress bar hadn't moved yet, and because the universe is angry at me, my power went out. Turned everything back on - and figured fuck it - and put the MU back in. My tag on the MU is now no longer attached to Live, and useless. It tells me to recover.

A full hour later, and the bar is now about 40%. This is fucking ridiculous.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    See, when I recovered the Gears PA tag it took like six seconds. Then again, thre's nothing associated with that except friends.

Willeth on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's about how long it took before.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Ugh, so much wrong here.

1) Nobody has ever gotten banned from Live for using an unofficial hard drive.

2) Even with the Hard Drive Hack, you can't put in a drive larger than 120GB into your 360. Or, rather, you can, but your 360 will only see 120GB.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Ugh, so much wrong here.

2) Even with the Hard Drive Hack, you can't put in a drive larger than 120GB into your 360. Or, rather, you can, but your 360 will only see 120GB.

1) People have and still will. Unless you want to cough up 400$ for a new Xbox.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Ugh, so much wrong here.

No, they haven't. You can get banned for modifying your DVD drive to boot pirated games, and you can get banned for copying someone else's hard disk image and protected save files to your own drive. Nobody's gotten banned just for using an unlicensed hard drive.

(And the 360 hasn't costed $400 for a while now.)

Daedalus on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No, they haven't. You can get banned for modifying your DVD drive to boot pirated games, and you can get banned for copying someone else's hard disk image and protected save files to your own drive. Nobody's gotten banned just for using an unlicensed hard drive.

without access to Microsoft's records of bans, you can't really say that.

Also: I'm now about an hour away from being one of the what, 90 people on in the states @ mygamercard who have 1000/1000'd warriors orochi 2 :U

edit: lol, should check it more often.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Ugh, so much wrong here.

The MSRP on an Elite with a 120gb hard drive is still 399.

And I forgot you work for Microsoft and tell us exactly who got banned for what, including the latest anti-piracy round a couple weeks back.

EvilBadman on
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you're in the know and follow such things closely, you know whether or not people get banned for shit like hard drives and such because they come crying to certain forums in droves when it happens. FyreWulff is right, people are not getting banned for doing the hard drive trick.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you're in the know and follow such things closely, you know whether or not people get banned for shit like hard drives and such because they come crying to certain forums in droves when it happens. FyreWulff is right, people are not getting banned for doing the hard drive trick.
    Because vocal minorities always account for majorities, right?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So not sure if this is NXE related, and a google search didn't yeild much info, but Gamertag recovery takes HOURS now, apparently.

Long story short - found out Rock Band screws up when I'm logged in. So before deleting my save, I figured I'd see if it was the profile. Moved the tag to an MU as a back-up. Recovered the tag on the XBox.

After about 15 minutes, the progress bar hadn't moved yet, and because the universe is angry at me, my power went out. Turned everything back on - and figured fuck it - and put the MU back in. My tag on the MU is now no longer attached to Live, and useless. It tells me to recover.

A full hour later, and the bar is now about 40%. This is fucking ridiculous.

That's something wrong with you, not the NXE. Recovery actually seems a bit quicker for me now. Before, it would take a good twenty minutes, but now I can recover my tag in about ten.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, I'm not sure how long the 360 has been on the market, but is the 360 HDD seen as fairly reliable? It's usually the actual 360 that has had problems in the past, right?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The HDDs are fine. It's the system itself that's had teething issues (to say the least).

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Ugh, so much wrong here.

And I forgot you work for Microsoft and tell us exactly who got banned for what, including the latest anti-piracy round a couple weeks back.

Do you work for Microsoft then Evilbadman? Because you're the one who asserted that a ban will certainly follow modifying your hard drive. You don't have the ban records, we don't have the records, so you can't really say either way. The absence of proof doesn't make the antithesis correct.

The only thing we can go off of are individual reports, and you'll have trouble finding any for a reason. I'm sure plenty of people here have done it and they know how it's working out. I do :P

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Ugh, so much wrong here.

Burden of proof is on you, buddy. edit: Or rather, on Fyrewhoever, who made the initial assertion.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Because vocal minorities always account for majorities, right?

Works in politics.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    NotYourAverageSuperHeroNotYourAverageSuperHero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    haven't even gone on XBL yet since my internets been down for weeks. Fucking Verizon, never again.

NotYourAverageSuperHero on
    cool%20sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Link me to a site that shows you in great detail and supplies all the files (or links to them) how to put a bigger nonMS HDD into a 360.

Challenge factor: this link can't result in an infraction on these forums. "google it" is also not a valid answer. S7S is an example site that you can't link to.

If it really did not result in a ban, there would be tutorials up on every site on the process. But, it results in you getting banned, so it's not.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I PM'ed you a link Frye. I think that's what you're looking for.

(EDIT) I have no idea if modding your harddrive will result in a ban. I'm not sure if MS has any way of detecting that.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The link you sent me will get you banned and requires downloading MS-copyrighted material.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think someone posted a link to a PC World article a while back. Admittedly, one of the instructions was 'Google this thing' as I guess they didn't want to link directly to it but it's a damn thorough tutorial.

Besides, who's to say that with the new dash didn't come a whole ream of detection tools for precisely this, and that people will start getting banned soon?

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The PC world thing was just about turing a 20GB drive into a 120GB drive though. And you have to use the exact same model of 120GB drive as used in the official MS one, or you're stuffed.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    But that's what was being discussed.

Willeth on