As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NXE, That new Xbox Dashboard Thing?

• Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PatboyX wrote: »
    I was pretty shocked I needed to go back and forth from my laptop to the xbox in order to not just set up the account (understandable security) but to actually find movies and watch them.

I don't mind not being able to browse the whole catalog on my 360, but I'd like to be able to view my entire instant queue and reorder the titles from the 360. As opposed to the top ten from the list.

Still an awesome feature, and I've been using it a lot.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tiemler wrote: »
    I was pretty shocked I needed to go back and forth from my laptop to the xbox in order to not just set up the account (understandable security) but to actually find movies and watch them.

I don't mind not being able to browse the whole catalog on my 360, but I'd like to be able to view my entire instant queue and reorder the titles from the 360. As opposed to the top ten from the list.

Hmm- I have about 50 movies in my Instant Queue, and it all shows up. No Top 10 or anything, I get all 50.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

Hmm- I have about 50 movies in my Instant Queue, and it all shows up. No Top 10 or anything, I get all 50.

Same. They all show up.

Houn on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pancake wrote: »
    EngelNUL wrote: »
    So whats up with the 16:10 ratio thingy? I select the appropriate resolution for my monitor and it has two black bars instead of full screen . Are the new resolutions just not really supported or am I failing somehow?

It adds the black bars. Games are made with 16:9 in mind since that's what HDTVs generally are. They don't make 16:10 TVs.

But some people have monitors with crappy scaling, so officially supporting it with black bars looks better for us.

*Raises Hand*

I have a 16:10 TV.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Neat.

Need to add a beard, though. Must have missed it last night.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    Glaeal wrote: »
    This exact thing can get you banned from Xbox live, because there are large groups of people who share disk images to allow them to unlock achievements.

In which case they would all have a common hardware ID. That's a totally different scenario.

Secuirty sector on the drive is NOT tied to the console's ID. It's just security data that when checked by the 360 says "This drive is certified by Microsoft".

But I don't even get the situationg Glaeal is talking about. Achievements are tied to your gamertag, I hardly see how this could get around that.
    It's game saves and local game data that keep track of progress towards achievements, then the achievement is applied to your gamertag.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »

Same. They all show up.

Yeah, I show all 86 in mine.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe i'm just missing something but does the new dashboard not show NAT status (open, moderate etc) in the connection test anymore? Is this info avaliable anywhere else?

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm disappointed that save game management is still so clunky. Seems to me there's two rather important options that need adding that for some reason they haven't; 'mark all' and 'unmark all'. Would make things a hell of a lot easier.

Oakey on
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oakey wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that save game management is still so clunky. Seems to me there's two rather important options that need adding that for some reason they haven't; 'mark all' and 'unmark all'. Would make things a hell of a lot easier.

The feature I want is the ability to autoselect the hard drive whenever a game asks "Where do you want to save this?" I don't have a memory card. I don't even know what one looks like. So please stop asking me about where to save or load data.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    Hardleft_335Hardleft_335 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

The feature I want is the ability to autoselect the hard drive whenever a game asks "Where do you want to save this?" I don't have a memory card. I don't even know what one looks like. So please stop asking me about where to save or load data.

This is a great idea. Ive never even seen a memory card for the 360. Just save to the hard drive, every time. Please.

Hardleft_335 on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Since we're talking about aspect ratios and displays, I was hoping someone could help me figure something out.

I have a 360 from the first wave of production (about a year after launch, so no HDMI port), and a Panasonic 1080p TV. I have it hooked up by component, but whenever I select 1080p, the set just goes blank. It displays in 1080i fine, but I can't get it at the best resolution. Any ideas?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Oakey wrote: »

That's up to the game. A few developers are just lazy and force you to select every time.

Also the Halo Wars theme looks better than the Halo 3 theme, now if it only didn't have gigantic transparent heads in the background..

The Fable 2 theme would also look better without the logo

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

This is a great idea. Ive never even seen a memory card for the 360. Just save to the hard drive, every time. Please.

Depends on the game, it's not an MS requirement. Most games will ask you only if you have multiple devices inserted, some will ask you all the time, and some will remeber your previous choice - I keep my profile on my memory card and saves on the HDD and Gears 2 asked me when I first booted it up. It just loads from the hard drive every time by default now.

templewulf - your TV probably only supports 1080p through HDMI.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

Is that...is that common? I thought component was good enough?

templewulf on
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    templewulf wrote: »

It is fairly common to only allow 1080p over hdmi. Although poking through the AVS forums component should be able to do it.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I was going for a "Shaun of the Dead" look.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

TVs have to specifically support it.

I know for a fact that the flatscreen TVs at the Sheraton in Seattle do, but those damn things had like 100 inputs.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I know for a fact that the flatscreen TVs at the Sheraton in Seattle do, but those damn things had like 100 inputs.

Soooo...the only way for me to get 1080p out of my xbox is to buy a new xbox?

Well, my set does have 4 HDMI ports. I guess I should just take the hint? :lol:

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Either buy a new box or buy a new TV.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

It takes all of ten minutes to get it set up. Literally setting up the virutal visa is basically just making an entropay account and 'spending' say a tenner into it from a proper account, and setting up netflix is the same as signing up normally and can be done from a UK IP so long as you enter a US address.

The proxy took a bit longer, I guess. All I did though was install Opera and set the proxy as default in Opera (I use Firefox for normal browsing.) When I want to use the netflix site I just use Opera now.

I wonder if we can set something up in relation with Child's Play for it. As in people only interested in the streaming (or UKers or whatever) could have the DVD sent to one of these hospitals. The newest Disney/Pixar/Nick/whatever movie for instance. The hospital could have access to a sub-queue, a rating filter (G-P-13 only say) and could basically get free Netflix. Some way to aggregate the queues of a couple 1 DVD accounts per hospital would be nice, but would require some coding.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    no.

PantsB wrote: »

haha, nice pork chops, btw.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah. It's so hard to take two seconds to choose HDD. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Either buy a new box or buy a new TV.

This is a new TV. :cry:

Well, I do need an excuse to upgrade to an Elite. I could use the extra controller & larger HDD.

templewulf on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Soooo...the only way for me to get 1080p out of my xbox is to buy a new xbox?

Well, my set does have 4 HDMI ports. I guess I should just take the hint? :lol:

There is a $100 mad catz adapter than will convert the 360's output into HDMI for us unlucky few with launch/near-launch consols thats have already red-ringed and been fixed but not replaced with the HDMI out consol.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My Elite is also a fuckload quieter than my previous 360 and looks sooooo much cooler perched above my TV.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Component can do 1080p. Quite comfortably. However, only more recent and top-end older TVs support it for some reason.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    There is a $100 mad catz adapter than will convert the 360's output into HDMI for us unlucky few with launch/near-launch consols thats have already red-ringed and been fixed but not replaced with the HDMI out consol.

I did not know about that, and I appreciate the suggestion.

However, I have to pick a few nits: A) You're recommending a product by Mad Catz, B) $100 is a lot, and I could just trade this in to get a better console overall, C) the new harddrive and controller push me towards a trade-in, and D) Mad Catz.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Can't you just buy a VGA cable for your 360 and then get a VGA -> HDMI adapter? Saves you from buying a new 360/TV. VGA can do 1080p right?

urahonky on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah. It's so hard to take two seconds to choose HDD. :P

Actually, it bugs me as well, I have never had another storage device plugged in to my Xbox, I am signed in to live using the tag stored on my HDD, just let me get on with it, I know its only 2 seconds, but its 2 seconds for every game every time you start up. Put an option in your profile for default save location, just like I don't have to set games to invert anymore, its in my profile, so should this.

(Im glad Im not the only one anal enough for it to get on my nerves :p)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That's really funny to me.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Can't you just buy a VGA cable for your 360 and then get a VGA -> HDMI adapter? Saves you from buying a new 360/TV. VGA can do 1080p right?

I have an optical audio out from my TV, so I'd rather have both going through HDMI. Also, I'm pretty sure VGA is analog Intellectually, I'm not worried about signal attenuation, but I'm excessively anal retentive.

I don't think I've ever seen a VGA->HDMI adapter, so that's something to remember.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I have an optical audio out from my TV, so I'd rather have both going through HDMI. Also, I'm pretty sure VGA is analog Intellectually, I'm not worried about signal attenuation, but I'm excessively anal retentive.

I don't think I've ever seen a VGA->HDMI adapter, so that's something to remember.

Shit. I might be thinking of DVI->HDMI. My bad...

urahonky on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey guys, quick question:

I saved Mass Effect to the HDD to get rid of those annoying, random 'Loading...' messages. In order to play it from the drive, do I have to press Y then select "Play game from hard drive" every time? Or can I merely press A when I highlight the game on the "My Xbox 360" channel, without having to go into the submenu?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    if it's on the HDD the 360 will automatically load it from there

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    if it's on the HDD the 360 will automatically load it from there

Sweet! :)

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think Y is if you want to play it from the disc, since it auto plays from the HDD normally.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Well the do have VGA to DVI then you could go DVI to HDMI, but that would be a monstrosity of cables and adapters. I have no idea if it would actually work or how it would look.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Shit. I might be thinking of DVI->HDMI. My bad...

Neither VGA nor DVI are HDCP-compliant, afaik.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    After playing two hours of stone-silent Mirror's Edge last night, I'm loving installs a lot more than I ever anticipated. It's not even loading time benefits so much as the reduction in noise and wear-and-tear on my drive. I haven't swapped out ME yet, but I'll pop in another game and see if the drive spin noise grates my ears even more now.

EDIT: Oh, hey, the first Avatar clothing packs will be free, apparently.
    http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/11...-will-be-free/
    First wave of new Avatar clothing will be free

You can calm your "will new Avatar clothes cost me Microsoft points?" worries, because Microsoft is committed to offering the upcoming Avatar fashion choices for free ... for now.

Talking to German website dreisechzig.net, Boris Schneider-Johne (Microsoft's Xbox product manager in Germany) confirmed that the first few weeks of new Avatar clothes will be available for free, but doesn't go as far to say that all Avatar clothing in the future will be available for no charge. "More costumes will be made available for free in the next weeks" says Schneider-Johne, adding "what's going to happen as of spring is yet to be announced." So, feel free t put those Microsoft points back in your pocket ... for now.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)