As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Winter 2008-2009

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    the temperatures just dropped up here. it was like 50 something last week, now it's in the low teens.

freaking cold. And the wind doesn't help any at all. Stupid wind chill.

It was a cool, wet summer. It's bound to be a bitter and snowy winter.

Stupid Vermont.

Fixed for me. :|

And yet everyone hates Florida.

I would rather have to wear 3 sweaters and a coat for half the year than live in Florida.

moniker on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    the temperatures just dropped up here. it was like 50 something last week, now it's in the low teens.

freaking cold. And the wind doesn't help any at all. Stupid wind chill.

It was a cool, wet summer. It's bound to be a bitter and snowy winter.

Stupid Vermont.

Fixed for me. :|

And yet everyone hates Florida.

I would rather have to wear 3 sweaters and a coat for half the year than live in Florida.

You know one of these days someone will have to explain to me the hate.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    My city is generally regarded as one of the more unpleasant places to live in southern Canada in the winter. It gets very cold (currently -23°C/-10°F outside) and we have absolutely no hills to let us derive at least some pleasure from the copious amounts of snow that always fall here. I hate winters here, but I take solace in knowing that one day I will move away and, regardless of where I go, it will be more pleasant between the months of October and May than Winnipeg. I also get a lot of pleasure out of watching videos of people not accustomed to snow and ice trying to drive on it, but it's not enough to make up for waiting 10 minutes for a bus in -50°C at least twice a day. Not nearly enough.

I'm from Labrador, so I have an idea what cold is like, and I feel comfortable in saying that Winnipeg is brutally cold. Just unbelievably cold, how the hell do you people do it?

Yeah, subzero F is pretty bitter and only gets worse the lower it goes/the higher the wind speeds.

moniker on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    The snowfall Toronto's expected to get is critical? Oh come on, this is just a normal winter in Canada.

Should we put the military on standby? :D
    I'm hoping someone remembers that year and gets the joke.

Honestly, I was expecting them to roll into town last year. Apparently Toronto got like, 200 cm more snow last winter here than normal. It was the best winter ever.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    God, it's terrible I know of all those major storms. '78 is the only one I wasn't alive for. Up here, it's not really a blizzard until there's at least 15-18" of snow on the ground. Shit, Cleveland State campus doesn't close until they run out of places to put the snow in the parking lots.

In New England, the issue is less the amount of snow from a storm and more the fact that, even with modern meteorology, it still manages to sneak in your window at night and rape you in your sleep.

I guess that's the price of civilization, though.

We're so used to unpredictable snow rape thanks to lake effect snow. We just live the entire winter in constant expectation of it. Well, I do at least, some people around here don't know what to do when snow starts falling.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, Michigan and northern Indiana get fucked pretty hard thanks to the Lake. Meanwhile Chicago and Milwaukee get to sit pretty and enjoy it.

moniker on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Yeah, Michigan and northern Indiana get fucked pretty hard thanks to the Lake. Meanwhile Chicago and Milwaukee get to sit pretty and enjoy it.

My dad went to college in Buffalo, where people drive around with skis just in case. Of course, I'm pretty sure MA is the only place where you can get hail in July.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    My city is generally regarded as one of the more unpleasant places to live in southern Canada in the winter. It gets very cold (currently -23°C/-10°F outside) and we have absolutely no hills to let us derive at least some pleasure from the copious amounts of snow that always fall here. I hate winters here, but I take solace in knowing that one day I will move away and, regardless of where I go, it will be more pleasant between the months of October and May than Winnipeg. I also get a lot of pleasure out of watching videos of people not accustomed to snow and ice trying to drive on it, but it's not enough to make up for waiting 10 minutes for a bus in -50°C at least twice a day. Not nearly enough.

I'm from Labrador, so I have an idea what cold is like, and I feel comfortable in saying that Winnipeg is brutally cold. Just unbelievably cold, how the hell do you people do it?

Must have something to do with all the pyrohy and kovbasa that's consumed, makes for hearty stock.

mmmm.....Ukrainian food.

Fun fact, not only in Winnipeg like one of the coldest cities in Canada, it's also the Slurpee consumption capital of the world. That's year round folks.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Canadians purchase an average of 30 million drinks per year. Despite its status as the coldest city in the world with a population of over 600,000,[2] Winnipeg, Manitoba was crowned the Slurpee Capital of the world for the ninth time in a row in 2008. In Manitoba, 7-Eleven stores across the province sell an average of 8,330 Slurpee drinks per month. The rest of Canada sells an average of 5,990, which makes Manitobans the world leader of Slurpee sales.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I come from Colorado. Place either has the winters where it snows once a week and builds up or its sunny all winter and you get a huge blizzard in the begining or the end with some small snows in the middles. Though for blizzard in college we had one in March right after spring break, snowed so much it shut down the town and college for 3 days. A friend of mine was jumping off the roof of his house into the snow and not getting hurt at all it was so deep. Took me two days to dig my car out of the snow afterwards. I love snows like that. Got a nice one here where I live in Japan, but it doesn't snow nearly enough in this part of the country.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I always get hit with the first overnight foot of snow before I stock up the kitchen. I prefer to not leave the apartment at times like that, and instead watch outside and laugh at all the people covered in snow. I need to hit up the store soon before we get hit.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh yeah, if you come to Boston over the winter and see a dug out spot occupied solely by a piece of furniture or traffic cone, or even a spot that looks like it may have been dug out by a person with a shovel (Menino's having garbage services pick up the furniture now) DON'T. FUCKING. TOUCH. IT. It may be booby trapped or protected by an IED. Those guys shoveled guys dug out their own motherfucking spots and no motherfucking commuter is going to take it. Motherfuckers.
    This is especially true of the south shore and southie.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh yeah, if you come to Boston over the winter and see a dug out spot occupied solely by a piece of furniture or traffic cone, or even a spot that looks like it may have been dug out by a person with a shovel (Menino's having garbage services pick up the furniture now) DON'T. FUCKING. TOUCH. IT. It may be booby trapped or protected by an IED. Those guys shoveled guys dug out their own motherfucking spots and no motherfucking commuter is going to take it. Motherfuckers.

The hell are you on about? Why would there be IED's in Boston?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    what?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited November 2008

Plus it's proof that they have shovels, so noone would find your body until the thaw.

moniker on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    what?

Snow plowing is a cutthroat business.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    what?

That was my impression of the crazy people who do this. After Menino started clearing out the markers, southie residents started claiming that it was the birthright of every Boston citizen to kill anybody who parked in the spot they dug out.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's not just Boston, either. My grandmother's from Somerville, and she also used to do that. I remember those storms they had around 2003 or so, seeing all the sidestreets blocked off by folding chairs and traffic cones or some shit.

BigBear on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love how we in the Seattle area have the same snow risk as freaking Mexico

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    you bastards

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yea, snow day for us? Half an inch.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man, at Cleveland State they always call the day in the middle of the day. The last two times they called it at 2pm, which causes a mass evacuation of campus, which clogs up all the routes out on top of the foot of snow that's already on the ground and the foot that's falling from the sky. Not once have they called a snow day at the beginning fo the day.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah I don't know guys.

I'm kinda looking forward to doing the barbeque thing for Christmas then heading down to the beach for some surfing on Boxing Day.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm looking forward to finding someone to whom to point out that any beer company could become the producer of the unofficial light beer of Judaism simply by making a beer commercial about the Festival of "Lights."
    And yes, I do find that amusing.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IntangirIntangir Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, I love winter and snow, I don't understand the hate (well, I do for the absolute cold, but not snow). I live in the lake-effect snow region of Michigan and I'm still disappointed in how much snow falls. I think I'd probably only be happy living in Buffalo or a few spots in the Rockies. Still, I'll take what I can get. Between skiing, snowmobiling, driving, and the amazing snowy peaceful evenings, winter is easily my favorite season. Hopefully this year, my Colorado ski trip will not be interrupted by my suicidal appendix and a week-long hospital visit.

Intangir on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Having moved here to Atlanta, from Florida, what kind of snowfall should I be expecting?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't snow in Atlanta. At least, not enough to count for shit.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's still not jacket weather here. I hate the cold so much, I don't see how you people can live in cold places.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Some of us don't have a choice... for now.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    It's still not jacket weather here. I hate the cold so much, I don't see how you people can live in cold places.
    Ehh, i live in Edmonton (canada) and while we did have a couple weeks last year where it was -40 + windchill and it sucked, i'd take weather like that over anything 30+ (Celsius) I just can't stand the heat.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It's only really cold for 2 months out of the year here. Right now it's barely below freezing.

moniker on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    We don't always have a choice. Sometimes the snow comes to us.
    blade055a.jpg
    Other times we don't have a choice, because when you're 9 years old, you live where your parents tell you to. And if a blizzard shows up on May 5th, and school is canceled for a week because of the devastation of a foot of snow on trees that were already budding, well, that's what you have to live with.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Beat me to it

People freak out here if it snows a tiny bit and everything shuts down

Pretty ridiculous

Medopine on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cars have to drive through snow sometimes round these parts. Now this is winter.

P3090012.JPG

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That pic Fireflash kind of looks exactly how Toronto was last year.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am not surprised that I live in a CRITICAL SNOWSTORM THREAT REGION.

I'd be surprised if I didn't have to fight a polar bear to the death every morning to get to work.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ok folks, we've had our first snow fall. How the hell do you forget how to drive for winter. This happens every year. Do you have some goldfish in your lineage. Slow the fuck down, pay attention, and brake early. It'll all be ok.

This is speaking to my fellow Edmontonians. My god it took the radio guys took 10 minutes to list off all the accidents.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah the same thing happens here. I mean, it's Cleveland. Winter storms happen all the fucking time. It's november, it's going to snow, fucking get with the program already, people.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Used to love snow as a kid. Now that I have to drive in it? FUCK snow.

Especially because people in Ohio decide to ride your ass if you're driving cautiously. "I CANT FUCKING SEE THE ROAD YOU RETARD WHY ARE YOU RIDING MY ASS!!"

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm almost tempted to blame it on the oil boom, too many people from out of province, and not being used to our winters. But this isn't the USA, it's Canada. There's only ONE PROVINCE (British Columbia) that doens't get anything remotely resembling winter, and then it's just one region of that province (Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley). It just happens to be the most populace region (imagine that). Other than that, most every other pronvince in the country gets weather similar to or worse then us.

Except Toronto.

Fuck Toronto.

</RANT>

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    IntangirIntangir Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ehh, i live in Edmonton (canada) and while we did have a couple weeks last year where it was -40 + windchill and it sucked, i'd take weather like that over anything 30+ (Celsius) I just can't stand the heat.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. You can always put on more clothes when it's cold, but you can only take so many off when it's hot. And even then, it is so disgusting to sweat profusely the second you step outside. I probably hate hot weather as much as most people hate cold weather.

Intangir on