As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Winter 2008-2009

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Used to love snow as a kid. Now that I have to drive in it? FUCK snow.

Especially because people in Ohio decide to ride your ass if you're driving cautiously. "I CANT FUCKING SEE THE ROAD YOU RETARD WHY ARE YOU RIDING MY ASS!!"
    Don't get me started on those jerks.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Especially because people in Ohio decide to ride your ass if you're driving cautiously. "I CANT FUCKING SEE THE ROAD YOU RETARD WHY ARE YOU RIDING MY ASS!!"

Since you're from Ohio you know exactly what I mean.

The best part is after they pass you, you see their car off the road 2 miles down the road. Totally worth it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Absolutely worth it. Makes me smile every time.

also, if anybody hasn't watched this video (fucking disabled embedding means you actually have to visit youtube), this crazy fat guy was walking around in a blizzard downtown wearing a speedo in front of the news camera, yes, I know it's in the OP, but some people may have skimmed past it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYeEOhZLk9g

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    God, it's terrible I know of all those major storms. '78 is the only one I wasn't alive for. Up here, it's not really a blizzard until there's at least 15-18" of snow on the ground. Shit, Cleveland State campus doesn't close until they run out of places to put the snow in the parking lots.

In New England, the issue is less the amount of snow from a storm and more the fact that, even with modern meteorology, it still manages to sneak in your window at night and rape you in your sleep.

I guess that's the price of civilization, though.

Yeah, noreasters are nature's way of reminding you who the bitch in the relationship is.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

The best part is after they pass you, you see their car off the road 2 miles down the road. Totally worth it.

Yes. Pure justice.

I live in Toledo, and we usually don't get raped as bad as the rest of the region, but still... every winter my wife packs her bags and tells me the next time it snows she's leaving me and going back to Japan. She keeps those bags packed until spring.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Hey, this happened to me just this morning (also in Ohio). Seriously, man. See my tiny Honda? Just because you have a ginormous four-wheel drive behemoth, it doesn't mean we can all drive 60 with several inches of snow on the road.

Also: This is probably going to be the winter that makes me hate snow. Driving in it doesn't bother me so much because the possibility of the glorious SNOW DAY has always outweighed having to drive cautiously (Last year my University had a record setting four snow days. That was pretty regular at my high school, but even one a year is rare for colleges around here. They were all on Tuesdays, too, which really pissed off the director of my Tuesday lab :P).

Starting in January, though, I'm moving to Cleveland for a semester-long internship. So...(a) more snow, (b) no snow days. :(

I will gladly be paying $30 a month for underground parking at my apartment complex, because there's no way in hell I'm waking up two hours early every day to excavate my car.

Edit: You guys may also be interested in a story from one of our thicker Ohio snowfalls last year...I'd decided I wanted to go sled riding, and I wanted to do it when there was a lot of snow, of course, but it had started snowing later in the evening and so no one else was out on the hills packing the snow down. Still, some friends and I decided we'd go for the hell of it. Someone has to pack the snow down, right?

After clearing a path at the top of the hill (a tarmac, if you will), I grab my sled and run toward the edge of the hill. Diving face first when I get there, I'm not really sure what I expected to happen, but what did happen is that I slid neatly under the light and fluffy snow and tunnelled about a quarter of the way down face first, popping my head up when I finally came to a stop. I wish I could've seen that from an outside perspective, but I couldn't convince any of my friends to try it. :P

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah Cleveland gets hit really bad with the lake nearby. Fuck. I'd pay $30 a month to park my car underground... And I don't get hit by that much snow here in Dayton.

urahonky on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah Cleveland gets hit really bad with the lake nearby. Fuck. I'd pay $30 a month to park my car underground... And I don't get hit by that much snow here in Dayton.

Columbus got hit with 20 inches of snow in 24 hours. Then it iced over, then snowed again, which iced over. It was like a layered composite of death.

This year, I got a personal garage right across my apartment for $30 a month. Fuck snow.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love snow, but it never snows in South Carolina. At least not where I'm at, which is about fifty miles from the mountains. At least it's cold right now, and not like it was last year, where it was 80 degrees all winter long, and then we get feet of snow in April, of all things.

But we're one of those places where schools shut down for an inch or two of snow. We get a lot of ice, and since it snows so infrequently, none of our school buses are equipped for operation in snow or ice. So, everything shuts down instead.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The thing that bothers me most about winter is how much faster I would be dead if there were some kind of zombie apocalypse. You could have all the food and ammo in the world, but it won't keep you from freezing to death.

Smurph on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In defense of the low accumulation areas closing for less snow, they understandably don't spend as much funds on snowplows, etc. for something that is relatively uncommon. It's simply makes sense to just close down for a couple of days out of the year and make it up later on.

Secondly, because they are in more moderate climates, they're more prone to snow melting and refreezing or simply freezing rain. Snow itself isn't that big of a deal, but ice commands a lot of caution. It also causes quite a few more downed limbs / trees than snow.

In the frozen north, do you guys have to close school if the buses can't get a portion of the student body? There were a lot of backwoods dirt roads where I grew up that couldn't be used in inclement weather, and they weren't allowed to open the schools if we couldn't get buses out to them.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Smurph wrote: »
    The thing that bothers me most about winter is how much faster I would be dead if there were some kind of zombie apocalypse. You could have all the food and ammo in the world, but it won't keep you from freezing to death.

The zombies would probably freeze first, which would make foraging a hell of a lot easier.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Smurph wrote: »

The zombies would probably freeze first, which would make foraging a hell of a lot easier.

I was going to say the same thing. :^:

urahonky on
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    About that video posted earlier with the sliding cars, I think the main problem is that they could be on a hill. Sure, you could hear the first guy accelerating, but You don't start off sliding sideways if you step on the gas, which I why I think the second and fourth cars must have been sliding downhill.

Either way, it's still some scary shit.

BigBear on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BigBear wrote: »
    About that video posted earlier with the sliding cars, I think the main problem is that they could be on a hill. Sure, you could hear the first guy accelerating, but You don't start off sliding sideways if you step on the gas, which I why I think the second and fourth cars must have been sliding downhill.

Either way, it's still some scary shit.

They are on a hill, but they leave the safety of the top and try to drive down it anyway. It was outrageous. They were putting a lot of people in danger, including children (you can hear someone begging someone else to help her get her kids out of her car), because they were impatient fucks.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    lazegamer wrote: »
    In the frozen north, do you guys have to close school if the buses can't get a portion of the student body? There were a lot of backwoods dirt roads where I grew up that couldn't be used in inclement weather, and they weren't allowed to open the schools if we couldn't get buses out to them.

Two words, snow chains

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Decius wrote: »

Two words, snow chains

Also put a big bag of kitty litter in your trunk.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    moniker wrote: »

Two words, snow chains

I have an old window Air Conditioner in my trunk from two years ago, will that work?

urahonky on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Two words, snow chains

I have an old window Air Conditioner in my trunk from two years ago, will that work?

It'd help with weight, but if you slid off the road and can't get any traction I don't see how shredding that and scattering the shards in the snow would help.

And if you have that in there for the whole year for no real reason, it's killing your fuel economy.

moniker on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Intangir wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    It's still not jacket weather here. I hate the cold so much, I don't see how you people can live in cold places.
    Ehh, i live in Edmonton (canada) and while we did have a couple weeks last year where it was -40 + windchill and it sucked, i'd take weather like that over anything 30+ (Celsius) I just can't stand the heat.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. You can always put on more clothes when it's cold, but you can only take so many off when it's hot. And even then, it is so disgusting to sweat profusely the second you step outside. I probably hate hot weather as much as most people hate cold weather.

It's got to be a "where you grew up" thing. I have no problem being hot and sweating my balls off. I absolutely hate being cold. My nose and ears hurt and run and im all cold and shivery and god it sucks so bad

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I had a spot in the garage at my old place. I went two winters without ever having to dig my car out. Since then, I moved to a place without garage access. I'm really not looking forward to digging out the snow brush this year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited November 2008
    I had a spot in the garage at my old place. I went two winters without ever having to dig my car out. Since then, I moved to a place without garage access. I'm really not looking forward to digging out the snow brush this year.

Yeah, and if you didn't read the OP, this year is supposed to be bad. :P

But seriously, good luck. I get hit a few times, but I can manage. It really sucks to have to get up earlier though, just go trek out in the cold to clean off your car. Bah!.

urahonky on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Two words, snow chains

Think buses, not cars. Also, it's not worth it trying to go down a hilly dirty road covered in ice.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmm, winter. Is that the thing where it rains sometimes and you can drive a few hours to ski resorts?

/Bay area

cheez on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The snow and cold is good. Any who disagree are weaklings that will be culled.

I was in Philly once and they shut down the city based on like 5 inches for about two days. I couldn't even get a train north.
    The fact that people down there don't know how to drive in it is less funny and more gasp inducing, though.

Worst thing about the first icy/snowy day of the winter. Fucktards apparently forgot over the summer how to drive in those conditions.
    Scalfin wrote: »
    what?

That was my impression of the crazy people who do this. After Menino started clearing out the markers, southie residents started claiming that it was the birthright of every Boston citizen to kill anybody who parked in the spot they dug out.

Mostly because it is. The fundamental origin of property is natural resources, which in the natural state belong to all (for instance, a snow bank that has been reinforced by passing plows), improved by Labor, which inherently belongs to the individual (in this case, clearing the snow). Such property is inherent and can't be capriciously removed without at the least compensation and due process.

Also, because they will fucking break your skull motherfucker.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PantsB wrote: »

To say this from such a temperate city as Quincy, MA, makes me wonder if you've ever actually experienced cold weather. I propose that walking around in -52°C really sucks as a universal truth. Ditto for digging your car out of 3ft of snow in similar weather.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »

To say this from such a temperate city as Quincy, MA, makes me wonder if you've ever actually experienced cold weather. I propose that walking around in -52°C really sucks as a universal truth. Ditto for digging your car out of 3ft of snow in similar weather.
    How many days has it been -52C in Winnipeg in your lifetime?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    It's got to be a "where you grew up" thing. I have no problem being hot and sweating my balls off. I absolutely hate being cold. My nose and ears hurt and run and im all cold and shivery and god it sucks so bad
    I think that might be it. I still infinitely prefer being hot to being cold, but I notice that I don't suffer near as much as Texas natives.

Though seriously, the cold sucks ass and I can't wait to be next to Mexico again.

Quid on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Or go the the snowy side of 95 (or is it the other way around? I can never remember which is cold and which is snowy).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, so, the apartment complex I live in now has these rules.

We can't have our cars in the lot any time after 9am when it snows. now I work at night, so now, I have to get up before 9am, dig the car out (must buy a new shovel), and move it, right?

Wrong!

They have a solution for that! I can just park my car in the hospital parking lot that's down the road! They never tow anybody! Of course, this is about a quarter mile away. So, when I get home at night (say about 1030), I can park in the hospital parking lot, climb out of my car with my stuff, and then trudge the quarter of a mile to my apartment complex and get inside.

grrrrrr.

yeah, I need to get a shovel. And some gloves.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, you see that darkest blue strip going across the U.S.? Minimal snow risk? All fucking over it. In Arkansas, it gets down to around freezing pretty often, but almost never below 0 F, and it rarely snows. What happens more often is an inch or more of ice, and where I went to High school, the district served a hilly area, so any ice = canceled school, 8-).

We had at least 5 snow days last year due to ice, including a half-snow day, where they apparently decided that because it was only scheduled to snow *during* the day, it'd be fine. Then, the temperature dropped, and it started icing up all the roads, and they went "Oh, shit, you guys have to drive home. Have fun!"

Keep in mind that we can't use official snow gear, because the ice is thin enough that anything that would give more traction would tear up the pavement in the thin spots, besides which we never encounter real deep snow, which means a whole bunch of teenage highschoolers trying to get out of a parking lot that's like an ice rink of multi-ton, metal ballerinas, :|.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Albino brain chiggers!

Cover your ears!!

TL DR on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

:lol: you might need to use weeks to measure that

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Well, -52°C is somewhat of an outlier (though I've experienced it multiple times), but it will hit -40°C here every winter for about a week or so. The best way of estimating really cold temperatures, I've found, is seeing how long you have to keep your eyes closed before your eyelids freeze shut and there's a noticeable snag when opening them. At really cold temperatures you get the snag every time you shut your eyes!

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Well, -52°C is somewhat of an outlier (though I've experienced it multiple times), but it will hit -40°C here every winter for about a week or so. The best way of estimating really cold temperatures, I've found, is seeing how long you have to keep your eyes closed before your eyelids freeze shut and there's a noticeable snag when opening them. At really cold temperatures you get the snag every time you shut your eyes!

I don't think I've ever experienced this. I assume this is a good thing.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Two words, snow chains

Think buses, not cars. Also, it's not worth it trying to go down a hilly dirty road covered in ice.
    They often didn't cancel school when buses couldn't reach ANY of the students when I growing up. Seeing "Buses aren't running due to the cold but schools are still open" was pretty common

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Two words, snow chains

They often didn't cancel school when buses couldn't reach ANY of the students when I was growing up. Seeing "Buses aren't running due to the cold but schools are still open" was pretty common

Meanwhile, in Marblehead, they just wait for word from [Chuck]. [Chuck] is the city bus driver (my cousin's family lives in Marblehead).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've never in my entire life seen snow.

I need to go to a place with snow someday.

There's some up in the blue mountains I should look into it when we visit there later these holidays.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mountain snow is different than real snow. Real snow affects real people in real cities. Some mountain snow is real snow, like in Denver, but most real snow happens in areas like Cleveland, Chicago, Buffalo and many cities in Canada.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wut

Whatever kid.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.