As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Safeguards against Stupidity

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
The idea for this thread came back to me after the whole Prop 8 thing, but since I want to move to a broader discussion of the workings behind it (and not to mention that the Prop 8 thread is now planning protests against the Red Cross or something), I felt I'd start this thread.

We've recently seen democracy takes some turns for the stupid, both here and abroad: People electing terrorists regimes into almost limitless power, the prejudiced legislating the rights of the people they judge unworthy, and zealots demanding that public forums of education both accept and instruct unprovable spirituality concurrent with (and occasionally in lieu of) scientific fact.

What can we do as a civilized, intellectual society to keep inalienable rights and indisputable truths out of the hands of a tyrannical majority without disenfranchising people? At what point do we decide which of the public's desires we allow and which we don't?

Atomika on

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The idea for this thread came back to me after the whole Prop 8 thing, but since I want to move to a broader discussion of the workings behind it (and not to mention that the Prop 8 thread is now planning protests against the Red Cross or something), I felt I'd start this thread.

We've recently seen democracy takes some turns for the stupid, both here and abroad: People electing terrorists regimes into almost limitless power, the prejudiced legislating the rights of the people they judge unworthy, and zealots demanding that public forums of education both accept and instruct unprovable spirituality concurrent with (and occasionally in lieu of) scientific fact.

What can we do as a civilized, intellectual society to keep inalienable rights and indisputable truths out of the hands of a tyrannical majority without disenfranchising people? At what point do we decide which of the public's desires we allow and which we don't?

By having a strong constitution that is difficult to change enshrine basic and/or wide ranging rights which get applied to ensure those various minorities have equal protection.

Proposition 8 is unconstitutional federally and most likely according to California's state constitution. It's just a matter of getting SCOTUS to admit to it.

moniker on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Uh. Public education that is run by science?

That or hope that people only get smarter and not dumber. I think it is a general trend that people get smarter.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »

That or hope that people only get smarter and not dumber. I think it is a general trend that people get smarter.
    Every time man makes a new experiment he always learns more. He cannot learn less.

moniker on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Except school boards are run by people elected to office with very little requisite qualification. As are mayors. As is any official, really.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    moniker wrote: »

Every time man makes a new experiment he always learns more. He cannot learn less.

This is predicated on man doing experiments.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is a relatively minor point, but "electing terrorist regimes" largely depends on your point of view.

You can't really safeguard people from electing people you don't like, or it's not democracy.

James on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    James wrote: »
    This is a relatively minor point, but "electing terrorist regimes" largely depends on your point of view.

You can't really safeguard people from electing people you don't like, or it's not democracy.
    "One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

That quote get's more disturbing the closer we get to Bush not in power.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kill everyone, no chance of stupid people then.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Nature might find a way.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Nature might find a way.
    You're a nature.

EDIT: Wait this isn't the [chat] thread...uhh...

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Nature might find a way.

Well that wouldn't be our problem then, nature deserves what it gets in that case.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    James wrote: »

True, true, but I think we can all agree that governments that detain or murder thousands of their own people as well as others in the name of centuries-old religious conflicts, while at the same time funding paramilitary groups to murder innocent civilians and calling for the annihilation of entire nations and peoples can safely be called "terrorist," right?

It's not so much "keeping people from electing who you don't like," as it is "keeping people from electing dangerous people."

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No, but the serious answer to the OP is simply permitting majority rule with minority rights enshrined in the Constitution as such that it takes a Herculean effort to carve out niches from equal protection. Unlike California's ballot measures which have made the Constitution more reminiscent of the Augean stables.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No, but the serious answer to the OP is simply permitting majority rule with minority rights enshrined in the Constitution as such that it takes a Herculean effort to carve out niches from equal protection. Unlike California's ballot measures which have made the Constitution more reminiscent of the Augean stables.

And in case like Prop 8, that'll work.

But what about when the people attempt to vote in (or out) educational curricula? Or what rights people have per their religion?

Atomika on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Proposition 8 is unconstitutional federally and most likely according to California's state constitution. It's just a matter of getting SCOTUS to admit to it.

Sweet Holy Christ, thank you. You have no idea how often that argument come up and I have to explain the 14th amendment to people.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The problem becomes rational thought is eroding. Our public school systems are teaching our children less and less. The general pool of knowledge is shrinking, with more of it becoming lodged in fewer people.

One of my professors put it in perspective when he said "Currently less than 1% of all American High Schools offer Calculus. Of those schools less than 1% of the students actually take the classes. This means that one one hundredth of a percent of high school graduates have taken Calculus. In Japan 100% of all high school graduates have taken Calculus. The night janitor at Toyota, he has taken Calculus."

While humanity continues to expand our breadth of knowledge on any number of subjects, that average human being has to learn less to get through life. Factor in little external motivation to learn and educate yourself with society attempting to idiot proof itself. If you do not have the internal desire to learn and better yourself then no problem, you will be fully capable of stumbling through life voting for people you would like to have a beer with and paying no attention to the issues.

Not a dig at Obama, but there are people out there who think because he was elected their lives are going to be completely turned around from welfare poor to rich without having to do anything to earn it. There are people with huge unrealistic expectations about what he is actually going to do. Expectations that just sitting down and thinking about them for a minute would lead any rational human being to the conclusion that they are not feasible. Whether Obama created these expectations or not is irrelevant and you could argue both sides. Yet people still seem to think Obamas election is going to bring massive social upheaval where the horrible rich will be cast down, and the barely literate poor with no money management skills will have their mortgages paid, free gas, and be set for life.

How do you communicate with someone like that? How do you explain that Obama, who may or may not be a great president, is limited in what he can do? How do you tell people that at his best what Obama can grant is an opportunity for every American through hard work and dedication to make a better life for themselves and their children? Some people voted for Obama due to the issues, some voted for him because of charisma. He came to office on a platform of change, how do you then tell people that part of that change is hard work? While you can offer more help to people in need a hand out is always a hand out. How do you get people to accept a hand up instead?

Detharin on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Detharin wrote: »
    The problem becomes rational thought is eroding. Our public school systems are teaching our children less and less. The general pool of knowledge is shrinking, with more of it becoming lodged in fewer people.
    [citation needed]

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Step 1 - Strong Constitution
    Step 2 - Universally high quality public education
    Step 3 - Hope for the best

You can't come up with an empirical/rational/mechanical way to determine whether an idea is a good idea or not. If you could, democracy would be unnecessary.

This is predicated on man doing legitimate experiments correctly.

Oboro wrote: »
    [citation needed]

Its a "Known Fact".

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Decent read

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/decline1.htm

quick blurb from here
    http://www.hoover.org/publications/digest/3062866.html
    A science and math, American students trail those in other advanced democracies. The longer students are in school, the worse things get. Among fourth graders, U.S. students rank high on the International Test of Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS). Despite this head start, by eighth grade, American adolescents have slipped to the midpoint on the TIMSS; by age 17, their scores trail all but those in a few developing countries.

Perhaps this is “just” math and science, something American schools have never been good at. Besides, apologists say, Asian students (who score at the top on the TIMSS) are inexplicable math and science geniuses.

Yet low performance is not limited to these more challenging subjects. Americans barely reach the international literacy average set by advanced democracies, according to a report issued by the Educational Testing Service after looking at the International Adult Literacy Survey (IALS). Unlike the math and science surveys, the IALS was given to a cross section of adults aged 16 to 65. Despite the high expenditures on education in the United States—and the large numbers of students enrolled in colleges and universities—the United States ranked 12th on the test.

The United States is living on its past. Among the oldest group in the study (those aged 56–65), U.S. prose skills rose to second place. For those attending school in the 1950s, SAT scores reached an all-time high.

As the years go by, the United States slips down the list. Americans educated in the sixties captured a Bronze Medal in literacy, those schooled in the seventies got 5th place in the race. But those schooled in the nineties ranked 14th.

Detharin on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Detharin, do you seriously not understand the absolute lack of relevance between international rankings and your espoused "teaching our children less and less," "the pool of knowledge is shrinking?"

How about you find me something that says schools in America today are teaching children less than they were 10, 30, 50, and 100 years ago? That evidence would actually be relevant to your hyperbolic propaganda -- if it existed -- which it doesn't.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    http://www.voxeu.org/index.php?q=node/930

http://www.voxeu.org/index.php?q=node/1564

http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/education/cps2007.html

While we can assume it takes longer to get a PHD or masters look at the number of 18-24 who's highest education is high school or lower.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1272/is_n2586_v122/ai_14995074

An interesting one on the decline of public education.

In other news, water is wet.
    http://www.why-is-the-sky-blue.tv/why-is-water-wet.htm

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah amongst all of that there's not a single bit pointing to your cited claim which is that "schools are teaching children less". Were this the case then one would expect the high school graduate rate to be increasing.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I certainly think that in regard to public education, in the last twenty years or so we (in the USA) have focused so hard on pulling the bottom up instead of pushing the top higher that we've traded (much like some would say regarding socialized care) a higher minimum standard by losing our focus on our potential. We've spent years now on "outreach programs" that offer little more than what schools should already be providing, and public awareness has now turned people's first reaction to our low scores into a ready-made attack on the material instead of the students' poor performance. Say what you want about racial/cultural/religious/economic bias in education, but the students in those same demographics were likely doing far better fifty years ago.

Factor that in with widespread anti-educational bias across many of America's socio-economic groups, as well as ever-increasing percentage of lower-income families, and I think you get the picture. There are actually people in this country that think its an inalienable right to be taught wrong things, as well as there are people who think it isn't cool or worthwhile to be smart or ambitious. And what's worse, there are people at the ready to defend both of these groups' actions as justifiable.

Until we're out of this mired period that would see us squabbling over who's to blame for educational disparity or whether or not religion is an acceptable placeholder for science, we won't better our progress.

Atomika on
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A second plausible explanation of poor American performance when compared to other countries could run something like this:

Back in the day, after WWII, we were sitting pretty and everybody else was severely fucked. Naturally, we were #1 in various educational metrics. On the other hand, once the rest of the world begins to recover and catch up to us, our inbuilt disadvantages (particularly a strong pro-religious, anti-intellectual culture) were put into stark relief by the successes of other nations, which weren't held back by such disadvantages.

Matrijs on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah amongst all of that there's not a single bit pointing to your cited claim which is that "schools are teaching children less". Were this the case then one would expect the high school graduate rate to be increasing.

i think its more of a "we're not increasing the amount of learning the really smart people get each year like we used to"

our edjucation system fails btw, because it was structured around a society where children were compliant curious and submissive. with social rights being granted to younger people over the years and the increasing popularity of rebellion, children are less likely to abandon their opinions to listen to the wisdom of the older generations. this leads to schools reacting to keep the majority educated by making policies that "hold the bottom up" instead of further extending the structure (in my telescoping step pyramid sitting on quick sand analogy).

its not like they have a real choice, you can't have the highly educated work well in a country of people that know nothing... a philosopher amoung cavemen isnt going to be as effective as a philosopher amoung his peers. in other words, as soon as the bottom drops out, the top is gonna either split off or fall as well.

also, since what your point seems to be "what can we do to educate people" instead of "how can we make sure a stupid majority dont enact change", can you change the OP to reflect that?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    our edjucation system fails btw, because it was structured around a society where children were compliant curious and submissive. with social rights being granted to younger people over the years and the increasing popularity of rebellion, children are less likely to abandon their opinions to listen to the wisdom of the older generations. this leads to schools reacting to keep the majority educated by making policies that "hold the bottom up" instead of further extending the structure (in my telescoping step pyramid sitting on quick sand analogy).
    Eh, I disagree with what you're saying here since it's too much a restatement of "those damn kids have no respect for authority" which to use the overstated fact traces back to the Romans and has an example in every generation at every possible stage of development.

I think the reality is kind of the opposite - every study I've ever read makes it pretty clear that socioeconomic status is one of the biggest indicators of future educational success. The US's problems are that it has increasingly stratified socioeconomic groups. If more were done to increase social mobility and provide support programs for the lower classes to help keep kids in school (i.e. handouts to make sure that they can go to school rather then end up working to keep a family afloat etc) then I think you'd see the ranks close up and overall performance rise. What you're getting at the moment are disaffected youth who don't see much chance for progress out of where they are in life, whereas there's also a pretty strong trend that those from the lower class who work their way up do so pretty effectively.

EDIT:
    children are less likely to abandon their opinions to listen to the wisdom of the older generations.

This is also conflating two separate points. The "wisdom" of older generations has nothing to do with the study of physical sciences, business etc. This statement is more traditionally associated with decrying changing social norms and trends.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Eh, I disagree with what you're saying here since it's too much a restatement of "those damn kids have no respect for authority" which to use the overstated fact traces back to the Romans and has an example in every generation at every possible stage of development.

I think the reality is kind of the opposite - every study I've ever read makes it pretty clear that socioeconomic status is one of the biggest indicators of future educational success. The US's problems are that it has increasingly stratified socioeconomic groups. If more were done to increase social mobility and provide support programs for the lower classes to help keep kids in school (i.e. handouts to make sure that they can go to school rather then end up working to keep a family afloat etc) then I think you'd see the ranks close up and overall performance rise. What you're getting at the moment are disaffected youth who don't see much chance for progress out of where they are in life, whereas there's also a pretty strong trend that those from the lower class who work their way up do so pretty effectively.

EDIT:
    children are less likely to abandon their opinions to listen to the wisdom of the older generations.

This is also conflating two separate points. The "wisdom" of older generations has nothing to do with the study of physical sciences, business etc. This statement is more traditionally associated with decrying changing social norms and trends.

what i mean is that the way schools are structured was based around obedience and the students accepting what the teacher said as fact. since children and teenagers are now more aware of their freedoms, they dont always go into a classroom thinking that the teacher has something valueable that needs to be learned. instead, they see it as pointless and unnecissary and the only reason they are there is because they have to be.

It used to be that children got a low level of education and then if they wanted to continue to high school and college, they wanted to be there. the kids that know the least are often the ones that dont want to learn... yes there are exceptions. My mom teaches math in a public high school to lower track students who all treat the class like a necessity rather than an opportunity.

yeah but i was using it to refer to knowledge.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    EDIT:

what i mean is that the way schools are structured was based around obedience and the students accepting what the teacher said as fact. since children and teenagers are now more aware of their freedoms, they dont always go into a classroom thinking that the teacher has something valueable that needs to be learned. instead, they see it as pointless and unnecissary and the only reason they are there is because they have to be.

It used to be that children got a low level of education and then if they wanted to continue to high school and college, they wanted to be there. the kids that know the least are often the ones that dont want to learn... yes there are exceptions. My mom teaches math in a public high school to lower track students who all treat the class like a necessity rather than an opportunity.
    I don't see what this has to do with granting societal privileges to people. Hell, I don't see much historical evidence to suggest that children ever really saw it any other way just that they were treated far less like people in their own right.

Disaffection with the educational process is, again, connected to the whole issue of their parents wealth. People like myself, and a substantial portion of those who post in this forum I would guess, succeed because at some level we picked up the general importance of learning from some type of major figure in our lives but this was not necessarily a figure of authority or not by the exercise of it thereof. Important to the process though was that someone had time to spend encouraging and explaining the point of education, spending time with homework etc. These are all things which are generally negatively affected by the aforementioned family wealth variable when it goes down.

I guess what I'm saying is, what system of obedience do you think once existed that made education work better, or more concerning to me: what social rights or freedoms are we giving to children that you think we shouldn't be?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I guess what I'm saying is, what system of obedience do you think once existed that made education work better, or more concerning to me: what social rights or freedoms are we giving to children that you think we shouldn't be?

oh no, im not trying to take away childrens rights and the ability to question decisions of people older than themselves. im just saying that the current structure of k-12 is based on an obedience system that is no longer in place. the ingrained respect for anyone substantially older than yourself is something that was common back then and not so common now. but thats not a bad thing.

the bad part comes when you continue to use a system that is based on something that no longer exists. having a teacher stand at the front of the class and lecture assumes that the students are actually listening, assigning homework assumes that the kids will actually do it etc. grades aren't even an incentive as most teachers just give students a D and pass them up instead of failing them and facing the negative impact on their career.

what i am advocating is a different system that will work today.... what that is? i have no clue. im not even remotely prepared to offer a solution, but i can see that there is a problem. if someone else here majored in education or has some insight into how we can restructure k-12 in order to improve learning, by all means the floor is yours.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ultimately power is in the hands of the people. You need to convince them.

Speaker on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    It's not stupidity that scares me these days but the arrogance that comes with it. Look at this video for example, you can find similar on the other side but the arrogance in their beliefs is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1KOBMg1Y8&eurl=http://www.howobamagotelected.com/

Then there are the truly stupid who feel their actions have no bearing on their surroundings. That's one of the reasons we're in this economic mess. From home owners who were too greedy or incapable of simple math to plan a budget, that can also include CEOs too.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Emanon wrote: »
    It's not stupidity that scares me these days but the arrogance that comes with it. Look at this video for example, you can find similar on the other side but the arrogance in their beliefs is the same.

*snip*

Nobody in the video seems particularly arrogant to me, although they do appear to be ignorant. It is not surprising that people are going to pick up on news stories about Sarah Palin that are more widely publicised, nor is it surprising that they are more inclined to believe that the opposition candidates are guilty of past wrongdoings.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's not stupidity that scares me these days but the arrogance that comes with it.

I think this is a huge part of the problem with ignorance the world over, and especially in Western nations where democratic rights have been commonplace for some time. People honestly feel like they have the right and the freedom to be ignorant and to make choices without being informed.

I know it's a defense mechanism when confronted with one's own stupidity, but c'mon for fuck's sake. And therein lies the crux of the argument: in a democratic process, can ignorance be tolerated, and if so, legitimized by participation within the process?

Atomika on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In a democratic process, can ignorance be tolerated?

Seeing as how I don't know everything, I would hope so.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's not stupidity that scares me these days but the arrogance that comes with it.

I think this is a huge part of the problem with ignorance the world over, and especially in Western nations where democratic rights have been commonplace for some time. People honestly feel like they have the right and the freedom to be ignorant and to make choices without being informed.

I know it's a defense mechanism when confronted with one's own stupidity, but c'mon for fuck's sake. And therein lies the crux of the argument: in a democratic process, can ignorance be tolerated, and if so, legitimized by participation within the process?
    It's more that people aren't taught how to not know something and it seems to pervade society. If people get asked a question they don't know the answer to, the instinctive response for some reason is just to make something up rather then say "I don't know".

I mean, there was an interesting case where the Prius in the US had a recall to fix a switch related to the air conditioning called a "solar switch" (related to how it operates). When a guy called his dealership to setup the service and asked what the solar switch did, the operator - instead of admitting she didn't know - started to tell him it helped the car convert solar energy to charge the battery (it in no way does this).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One of my professors put it in perspective when he said "Currently less than 1% of all American High Schools offer Calculus. Of those schools less than 1% of the students actually take the classes. This means that one one hundredth of a percent of high school graduates have taken Calculus. In Japan 100% of all high school graduates have taken Calculus. The night janitor at Toyota, he has taken Calculus."

I find these numbers incredibly hard to believe, especially the second. I mean, I went to public school in east bumfuck, we had calculus, and out of a graduating class of 110 there were at least 15 of us in the class. I could possibly understand the first number, but the second means that even in schools with graduating classes of 500 or 1000, you're looking at one class with 5 or 10 people in it? I just don't believe it. That may have been true years ago but I don't believe it's true now.

EDIT: Here, I found these remarks by the secretary of education from 1998 that say that 10% of students take calculus.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »

I find these numbers incredibly hard to believe, especially the second. I mean, I went to public school in east bumfuck, we had calculus, and out of a graduating class of 110 there were at least 15 of us in the class. I could possibly understand the first number, but the second means that even in schools with graduating classes of 500 or 1000, you're looking at one class with 5 or 10 people in it? I just don't believe it. That may have been true years ago but I don't believe it's true now.

EDIT: Here, I found these remarks by the secretary of education from 1998 that say that 10% of students take calculus.

Even if that weren't the case, I don't quite see the bearing which calculus has on how smart we are as a nation. I took it in college and have never applied anything that I learned in that class outside of the tests. Yay? If anything the absolute focus on science and maths at the expense of, you know, everything else seems to be more detrimental to the state of our public schools. And in the case of civics and history classes, our governance.

moniker on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Even if that weren't the case, I don't quite see the bearing which calculus has on how smart we are as a nation. I took it in college and have never applied anything that I learned in that class outside of the tests. Yay? If anything the absolute focus on science and maths at the expense of, you know, everything else seems to be more detrimental to the state of our public schools. And in the case of civics and history classes, our governance.

'Tis true. A basic (or more than basic) economics course is probably more beneficial to a voter from a "knowing what the fuck candidates are talking about" than calculus.

And now the 30 page argument about the vital importance of calculus and having everybody and their baby cousin take it can begin.

I attended three high schools, two out of three offered calculus. Nothing about these schools was noteworthy. Small sample, sure, but I think Deth's little quote there was actually just patently absurd, and he's incredibly naive for believing it just because somebody told it to him one time.

So, any other broad and poorly supported statements about our educational system anybody wants to throw out to derail the thread?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah, I went to an Arts magnet, so the core academics weren't even our strong suit (especially history, oh god our history department was bad) but I had almost 20 people in my calc class, and we graduated 115 that year.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah that stat is 165% bullshit. Not only is the American stat completely and utterly wrong and invented from whole cloth by a lying liar, but the Japanese stat is completely and utterly wrong and invented from whole cloth by a lying liar.
    In 1998, more graduating students had taken advanced mathematics courses than did their counterparts in the early 1980s (see figure 1-7 figure.) In 1998, 62 percent of students had taken algebra II compared with 40 percent in 1982. The 1998 participation rates for geometry and calculus were 75 percent and 11 percent, respectively. Corresponding figures for 1982 were 47 percent in geometry and 5 percent in calculus. The percentage of graduates taking AP calculus rose from 1.6 to 6.7 percent over the same period (NCES 2001c.)
    On average, high school students have completed more mathematics and science courses since 1990 (appendix tables 1-9Excel. and 1-10Excel.), including more advanced courses in these subjects. In mathematics in particular, class of 2005 graduates completed courses at higher rates than their 1990 counterparts in all advanced mathematics categories except trigonometry/algebra III[11] (figure 1-5figure.). For example, the proportion of students completing courses in statistics/probability increased eightfold (to about 8%), and for precalculus/analysis, any calculus, and AP/IB calculus, it doubled over the 15-year period.
    Science and Education Indicators 2008 (2003). There's an excel sheet in there that shows calculus completion at around 15% in 2005 (most recent year)

In Japan, entrance into public secondary schools are regulated by entrance exams. Furthermore, when you near the end of "high school" you are expected to choose a scientific/mathematical or humanities/liberal arts track. Those who pick the latter don't take calculus. Those who are at lesser schools will often not have the option in any real way.

What calculus has to do with civics is a bit lost on me however. While a curious mind is always good, specific instruction in scientific and mathematical disciplines will not and does not inherently make one averse to stupidity in relation to government. You'd be horrified how many people with engineering degrees frequent freeperland

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+