As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Local legends/myths/weird shit.

NadsNads Bob DuccaAsleep in a cul-de-sac.Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited November 2008 in Social Entropy++
So, I was watching the Blair Witch Project and then decided to make a thread on our towns' local myths and legends.

We have plenty of haunted houses and boats and what have you, but we have other legends too. The most prominent one in my head for Long Beach is Midget Town. It's a gated community about a block from the Donnie Darko and Ferris Bueller houses that's said to be a community for midgets. Supposedly, when viewed from the gate, it is filled with homes that are much smaller than average homes. Some say they've seen midgets living there, others say it's abandoned. My brother says they chased him out with rocks and sticks. I've never been, but I do know where it is. Apparently, there's a midget Fresh Prince of Bel-Air house there.

Anyway, what shit is talked about in your towns?

3c5d24e9-b7f2-44ba-bbf2-3b4658af70bd.jpg
Nads on

• Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    in denver there's a haaaauuuunteeeeedd 7/11 that was built on an indian burial ground

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Blair Witch is both a good and terrible movie

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i live about 35 miles from the Moth Man

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There was a couple around here suspecting of being rampant child murderers. No one ever found out who they were or how many they killed. They remain at large to this day.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    also there's a midget town in colorado too. also one in northern california near san leandro.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Veretas wrote: »

Mostly good though

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    #pipe wrote: »

Mostly good though

i still get chills when i think about that last scene with the dude standing in the corner

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    NadsNads Bob Ducca Asleep in a cul-de-sac.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    in denver there's a haaaauuuunteeeeedd 7/11 that was built on an indian burial ground

We need to go get us some slurpees there, dogg.

Nads on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Nads wrote: »

slurpee is really ectoslime

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Mostly good though

i still get chills when i think about that last scene with the dude standing in the corner

it really is a great movie

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, it is.

Nads on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

let's do it. i hear, when you go next to the slurpee machine, you hear ancient indian chants

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Mostly good though

it really is a great movie

on halloween, somebody went around town and put those little stick bundle crosses on a bunch of street corners

a bunch of them are still there

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No, no, that's just Raj listening to the radio.

Nads on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No, no, that's just Raj listening to the radio.

i thought it was atlanta braves fans in town to play the rockies

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    superbelter_682_450560a.jpg

Midgets you say.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    superbelter_682_450560a.jpg

Midgets you say.

travelocity-gnome.jpg

I've come to enforce the guarantee!!!

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh man, I fucking love the way that gnome story ended up

#pipe on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Is that a miniature pyramid head?

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait, did the gnome story continue? What happened?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I must know what that was

#pipe tell us

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ive never read the gnome story

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wait, did the gnome story continue? What happened?

I remember reading that it was a midget who wore a paper hat and cape and did this like twice a week just to fuck with people

but I can't find it now and maybe I imagined it because I was too freaked out

#pipe on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There was all kinds of rumor about a satanic cult in the town I used to live in. Though I'm pretty sure it just degenerated into wife-swapping.

Also this "Old Folks Path" was this long path through a little park that was pretty much begging for someone to get raped in it, there was bad lighting and once you were inside it no one could see you in there, it was surrounded by stands of trees and a forest.

A couple of times people stumbled on some weird shit in there.
    Like five guys wearing coveralls and monkey masks gathered around a dead dog. They took off when our friend saw them and he found the dog the were standing over. I still don't know what the hell that was about. Also one time in there I found a guy that had built his own house and wine distillery and he was living in the forest part but that's another story.

Oh and
    Oh and the fucking sewers, fuck I got lots of stories about that town. I swear there was a portal to hell right underneath the Old bar there. They even cemented an entrance to the old sewer up down there because you kept hearing all kinds of weird shit coming out of it. There used to be another entrance you could get in halfway down a cliff. Some friends got in there and found satanic imagery and symbols and stuff all over the place.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bigfoot is supposedly around here in the woods somewhere

also that Courtney killed Kurt

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I live in apartment building built on an ancient Indian burial ground. We didn't have any Indians or their burial grounds here, so we had to import it, bone by bone, just to build something on it. It was also a mental hospital where serial-murdering ghosts burned down an orphanage.

Ivar on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My local park was always rumoured to have ghosts and stuff. I think the most widely known one was that a man was said to of seen an old time funeral precession going through the middle of a field at about 2AM.

Also this place has always had weird shit reported about it.
    Abandoned Hospital

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This man disappeared a while back, and his dad was investigated in the disappearance, because it was rumored he had killed him. The entire basement of the father's house had been filled with dirt.

When the police excavated they did not find any body, but they did find an old satanic alter.

It was some pretty creepy shit.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    so was the dad an old school satan worshipper or did they just find one in the basement from previous owners?

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No, see, the dad was the one who filled in the basement after his son died, and was rumored to be a practicer of the occult and all around crazy guy.

Funny thing is apparently they never finished the excavations entirely, either.

Its just one of those unsolved mysteries type of stories, really bizarre.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    rumour has it on friday and saturday nights the local bakery is open between 2 and 3am

it would explain why i often wake up on saturday morning with tomato sauce all over my shirt and mini-quiche stuck in my teeth

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Story thing:
    I had from a friend of mine (at the time) about four years ago tell a story his speech/public speaking teacher told his class. I forget the teachers name, but she teaches at OCC, a community college in Southern California. The story starts with my friend telling me that she doesn't tell this story to all her classes, only the ones she feels can handle it.

Her story essentially involves her growing up in the midwest and at some point in her young life realizes that her parents are part of a cult of some kind. She comes to find out that they are grooming her to take part in some kind of ritual/whatever. She finds this out and sets off to run away with a friend of hers. They try and flee the town and end up being captured by the police who are part of the cult. They manage to kill her young, apparently Indian, friend.

I forget how but she escapes with her life and to this day she claims various cult members follow her and have threatened her etc. After my friend was finished telling me this I proceeded to tell him the ways in which she is wrong/crazy and he gets livid telling me it could be a true story. Claims the story was told to his class with nothing but earnest truth.

I honestly believe she told her class some version of this story. Although it's possible my friend made it up I've had it confirmed by at least one other person I know that she did tell this story to her class.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    rumour has it on friday and saturday nights the local bakery is open between 2 and 3am

it would explain why i often wake up on saturday morning with tomato sauce all over my shirt and mini-quiche stuck in my teeth

there used to be a bakery shop here in town that ran a prostitution ring in the back

you could tell when the hookers were doing business because the donut on the bakery sign's center hole was lit up

you went in and asked if they had any "hot holes"

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

there used to be a bakery shop here in town that ran a prostitution ring in the back

you could tell when the hookers were doing business because the donut on the bakery sign's center hole was lit up

Damn, thats a pretty good idea.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    hmm

around here we have brothels and you go in and ask for a blowjob

edit: or so i assume. *cough*

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Damn, thats a pretty good idea.

it was too good though because everybody in town wanted to talk about it

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    here we have something called a manananggal

basically it is a woman whose whole upper torso disconnects from her body and she grows wings
    she flies of to eat little children and suck out people's livers

we also have something called a Tikbalang
    which is like centaur except he only has one pair of horse legs
    they are blue for some reason

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    what kind of fucked up place do you live Rob?

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    Story thing:
    I had from a friend of mine (at the time) about four years ago tell a story his speech/public speaking teacher told his class. I forget the teachers name, but she teaches at OCC, a community college in Southern California. The story starts with my friend telling me that she doesn't tell this story to all her classes, only the ones she feels can handle it.

Her story essentially involves her growing up in the midwest and at some point in her young life realizes that her parents are part of a cult of some kind. She comes to find out that they are grooming her to take part in some kind of ritual/whatever. She finds this out and sets off to run away with a friend of hers. They try and flee the town and end up being captured by the police who are part of the cult. They manage to kill her young, apparently Indian, friend.

I forget how but she escapes with her life and to this day she claims various cult members follow her and have threatened her etc. After my friend was finished telling me this I proceeded to tell him the ways in which she is wrong/crazy and he gets livid telling me it could be a true story. Claims the story was told to his class with nothing but earnest truth.

I honestly believe she told her class some version of this story. Although it's possible my friend made it up I've had it confirmed by at least one other person I know that she did tell this story to her class.

I don't know about that story in particular but there have been a lot of people caught producing children just to sacrifice them. I used to read a lot of books about child abuse cases that turned out to be caused by creepy cults that ran daycares and stuff. I don't know why people always think that's so far fetched, obviously they don't read the horrible shit in the newspapers about people locking kids in basements for years and stuff like that.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do you live in Sunnydale Robcham?

EDIT: @ trentsteel, eh I should have said but I'm pretty sure she claimed it was a satanic cult. A lot of what she said fits in with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_ritual_abuse, a lot of the shit in there.

It's not that I don't believe cults exist, it's that the scope at which she claimed the cult to have operated on seems insane.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg