As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

car shopping

truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I was in a 5 car crash Tuesday night and my car was totaled. So now it is time to shop for a new one. Can you help?

I was previously driving a 2002 Nissan Altima which did work for me and I enjoyed it. Gas mileage wasn't anything to write home about though. I settled for somewhat near Blue Book value minus deductibles and such so I've got $8000 towards the down-payment of the next vehicle. Ceiling price around $24,000, but preferably paying 20K or under

What I'm looking for: (sort of ranked in order or priority)

Family friendly - ability to put car seats in for babies (don't have any now, but planning for it very soon)
Storage Space - doesn' t need to be massive, enough for groceries, luggage, golf clubs (not all those at once) also folding down split back seat is really nice when you have those extra large items
Safety - impacts and just routine driving (I do live in an area with light to moderate snowfall)
Good gas mileage
Automatic transmission (I can drive manual, but the wife can't. I'd consider manual if the car met all criteria with flying colors and then attempt to teach her how, but on a newer car....... D:)
Air conditioning

Nice to have:
Power lock/window
keyless entry
auxillary MP3 jack (I installed MP3 support in my Altima which was simple. Would be nice to have to start, but I could install again really on anything as long as the AUX exists in the wiring)

I'm open to most styles sedan, wagon, hatchback, not too interested in SUV. I've mainly been looking at new cars right now, but if anyone knows older models for used I'm open to suggestion. I care nothing about image or coolness, I must just get from point A to B with all the junk I'm hauling and not die hopefully.

Things I've found so far searching online. I've found some things that look good on paper for storage going by cubic footage, but they "look" like small cars (if you know about any of these I'd appreciate any info). Most of these listed are the same offering by each different company as competing models.

Toyota Prius - MPG of course, I think it had car seat anchors, good storage space, highly rated, mega dorky looking, although I'd do the South Park Prius guy impression constantly which would be fun.

Toyota Matrix - still good MPG, storage high, one guy I work with has one and speaks well of it, will check it out later today at work

Honda Fit - Matrix clone with slightly different options

Chevy Aveo - same as Matrix, Fit, but cheaper and crappier, but cheaper!

Honda civic - I could go with the hybrid here or not, long time reliable car with a good reputation. My wife has a 1999 civic, but to me it feels like driving a toy and not a real car. It does get the job done though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Steam
XBOX
truck-a-sauras on

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Saturn Astra 5-door is a good deal, especially with the Red Tag event going on. You could get a top of the line XR model with leather for under $20,000. It does everything the Civic and Corolla do but has a much nicer exterior and hits all the points you addressed in your OP. Add to it GM dealerships are doing anything to sell cars right now, you will come out very well.

The Pontiac Vibe is also good. It is the Toyota Matrix (they are made at the same plant in California), but again, the Red Tag sale and the desperation from car dealers will help you get a good deal on the Vibe.

With Chrysler, the only car they make that is actually decent is the Jeep Patriot, which is like a Jeep Liberty only 60% the size. With 4WD for NJ snow and the need to sell, you could get one below $20,000. But it is Chrysler, and they just don't care right now.

One thing you have to be aware of right now is that if you are buying a car and using it until it can't run anymore, like in 10 years, buy American. I say this because if GM or Chrysler go under (Ford won't), the depreciation on all their vehicles will be huge, meaning no resale value whatsoever.

If you do want resale value, buy foreign.

If you really want a good deal, American is the way to go right now. They just need to sell, and the cars they make, especially the ones that aren't really American built but are just rebadged European vehicles are the ones to get. And even if they did go bankrupt, they won't go out of business. Hyundai will swoop in and buy Chrysler, Ford will be OK and not go under, and GM will finally be able to get rid of their UAW albatross and bounce back in a few years.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    how about a ford focus, im not a big car fanatic but ive heard good things and it seems to have everything you would want.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/focussedan/

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    +1 for the Saturn Astra. Just a rebadged Opel, the European subsidiary of GM.

I have a Fit and i would skip on it, it's definitely not a family vehicle unless they made some huge improvements to the new model.

I noticed you didn't put down how much you're willing to spend. I think that'd be really helpful for future posters to know.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    how about a ford focus, im not a big car fanatic but ive heard good things and it seems to have everything you would want.

I have a 2003 wagon and so far have had only normal maintenance (battery, brakes, etc.) at almost 80k miles. Gas mileage is pretty good, the cargo space and the roof rack are invaluable and it sits four adults very comfortably. I've driven the 2007 four-door version as a rental car and it was just as nice, definitely got better gas mileage.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Precursor wrote: »
    I noticed you didn't put down how much you're willing to spend. I think that'd be really helpful for future posters to know.

I'd probably say upwards to $24,000, but would prefer to try and keep it 20K or under.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Have you looked at a Subaru? Our main car is a Forester, and we really like it. It has a decent amount of space and still gets pretty good gas mileage and they are reasonably priced. My wife's car before this one was an Impreza, which was also really nice. A little smaller, but still plenty of room even with a car seat in it. Subarus last a long time and do really well in any weather with their all wheel drive. Both of these cars have everything that you're looking for, except maybe the auxilary jack. That might be an option on newer ones or the higher end models, though.

Newton on
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Reposting my recommendation from a previous car thread.

I bought a 2008 Elantra GLS Sport (SE equivalent) this spring. It was rated this years top pick in the small sedan category by Consumer Reports against the Civic, Corolla, Cobalt, Aveo, Focus and Mazda3 in road test, reliability and safety tests. The only other cars recommended in that class were the Ford Focus and Subaru Impreza.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=126602

"The Elantra's top rating in the small sedan class shows how far Hyundai has come in the last decade," it said. "Its cars used to be unreliable and unrefined, with low scores in CR's tests. Now, some compete with the best in their classes."

Personally, I think it's a blast to drive even though it only has 138 hp in a 4 cylinder engine. I average 35-40mpg in a mix of semi-aggressive city and highway driving. I also like the fact that I have front, side curtain, side seat and rear curtain airbags, wheel mounted cruise control/stereo controls, air conditioning, power windows, remote power door locks w/ alarm, heated seats, 6 speaker cd/mp3 stereo w/ auxillary jack, power sliding glass moonroof, foglights, 16" alloy wheels and a rear spoiler. All but the foglights, alloy rims, sunroof and spoiler are standard on the GLS version which is the trim level most commonly sold. We opted for the next level up to get the extras and I'm glad we did.

Here are a couple photos of mine. (which has been tinted by a third party, not factory) Spoilered for a bunch of images.

avante7.jpg

avante8.jpg

DSC_3573.jpg

DSC_3566.jpg

DSC_3566.jpg

DSC_3573.jpg

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know a few people with the Toyota Matrix and they all seem to really like it.

As someone mentioned, the Pontiac Vibe is basically the same car mechanically speaking, but you can get them cheaper.

I have a Ford Focus 4-door hatchback that I really like, but in the price range you're looking for I would recommend either the Vibe or Matrix as they're likely going to be better quality for a similar car.

Toyota right now (I believe it's still going on) is running a 0% financing promotion for 08 and 09 models (I think the 0% is only on a 36 month loan, but they're still offering low percents on slightly longer loans as well).

Daenris on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Maybe check out the Saturn Aura. I'm looking for something similar as well, checking that and the Chevy Malibu out this weekend. They both are built on the same chassis and have the same 4 cylinder engine and 6 speed transmission which are apparently very good (my father works in the plant that makes them and people he knows that have them are happy). The Aura has more features for a bit less it looks like too, plus there's all the sales and stuff from GM. Don't know what it's like in the States but it probably better than the sale here.

bombardier on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    Maybe check out the Saturn Aura. I'm looking for something similar as well, checking that and the Chevy Malibu out this weekend. They both are built on the same chassis and have the same 4 cylinder engine and 6 speed transmission which are apparently very good (my father works in the plant that makes them and people he knows that have them are happy). The Aura has more features for a bit less it looks like too, plus there's all the sales and stuff from GM. Don't know what it's like in the States but it probably better than the sale here.

Correct, the Aura and the Malibu all have the same underpinnings.
    The only downside to these otherwise very good vehicles (especially the Malibu, which has a beautiful interior) is that if you are above 6' it's a pain to get in and out of them. I'm 6'2, 195 lbs. and it was a complete nuisance getting in and out of the car. Even the salesman, a tall guy as well, had to concede it's not for the tall person.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2008
    Daenris wrote: »

Same here, I've yet to hear a bad review of the car from someone I know.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Usagi wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

I have a 2003 wagon and so far have had only normal maintenance (battery, brakes, etc.) at almost 80k miles. Gas mileage is pretty good, the cargo space and the roof rack are invaluable and it sits four adults very comfortably. I've driven the 2007 four-door version as a rental car and it was just as nice, definitely got better gas mileage.

Ford makes some pretty solid cars maintenance wise.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Forester: maintenance isn't cheap (course maybe that's ubiquitous amongst newer cars), and the turbo isn't what I'd call fuel efficient (average 17 MPG with mainly city driving), they really need to change from the 4-spd auto if they haven't already.

Of course even with the above issues, we plan on taking our 68K forester at least past 100K; it's a very practical vehicle with roof rack, towing hitch and AWD. Non-turbo and manual would probably net another 8+ MPG. You might look into the new impreza wagon, though the styling is pretty bland unless you go WRX, which has a turbo.

If you do get a turbo subie do be sure not to stretch miles between oil changes. If head gasket failure results from this behavior subaru likely will not cover it.

truck-a-saurus: if that list is really all you need, I'd say go the cheapest you can get that has looks you can live with. With the saved money make sure to religiously change the oil at or in advance of the dealer schedule (not the manufacturer schedule), and if an auto transmission flush/exchange the transmission fluid every 20K miles. There's no reason why most new cars couldn't go 100K or even 200K miles if the vital fluids were changed before they wore out.

Djeet on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You could also consider the Mazda 3 or 6. Especially if it doesn't have to be brand spanking new. Something a little nicer but a little more pricey is the Volvo S60 or V70. They're both quite roomy and comfy.

wmelon on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Daenris wrote: »

Same here, I've yet to hear a bad review of the car from someone I know.

I have a Matrix. My wife thinks the steering column is too low; apparently she is unable to drive my car without her knees bumping into the steering column. I have no such problem. Considering my wife is shorter than me, I'm not entirely sure how this happens.

That's the only negative thing I've ever heard anyone say about the Matrix.

Oh, one more negative: I wish anti-lock brakes were standard on them. If you're buying used, it's really hard to find one with anti-lock brakes, which are extraordinarily useful in the northern half of the United States.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    wmelon wrote: »
    You could also consider the Mazda 3 or 6. Especially if it doesn't have to be brand spanking new. Something a little nicer but a little more pricey is the Volvo S60 or V70. They're both quite roomy and comfy.

The rental I have now is a Mazda 3, it just isn't for me.

Hit the Toyota dealership on the way home today. The matrix was toy-like, but a fun zippy little car. I can see what one of the posters said about the wife hitting her knees while in the driver seat. It does have a bit of a claustrophobic feel the way it is designed. Gotta lean the seat back a bit more to make it feel normal.

The Prius looked great and has amazing storage space in the back, but due to limited supply of those things they only had like 3 which were fully tricked out with DVD players and all kinds of nonsensical frills. So the prices there were jacked up to 27K.

Going to try out the Ford Focus in the morning.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Hit the Toyota dealership on the way home today. The matrix was toy-like, but a fun zippy little car. I can see what one of the posters said about the wife hitting her knees while in the driver seat. It does have a bit of a claustrophobic feel the way it is designed. Gotta lean the seat back a bit more to make it feel normal.

The Prius looked great and has amazing storage space in the back, but due to limited supply of those things they only had like 3 which were fully tricked out with DVD players and all kinds of nonsensical frills. So the prices there were jacked up to 27K.

Consider the 2008/2009 Hyundai Elantra. I but you if you drive it, you'll like it. Drive the SE trim level.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Well, there goes my mazda3 recommendation (though I will say that the time I got a sedan replacement during service I hated it compared to the hatch, both space-wise and in smaller-engine-wise, so if that's the case I still say look at the hatchback version!)

Matrix is a good car, I personally don't like something about the look that I can't describe well, but definitely a solid choice; Subaru Forester (bigger) or impreza wagon/hatchbacks (smaller) are also great cars if you're somewhere that 4wd would be useful... I've seen tv ads for the Nissan Rogue (i think?) that look good for a small hatchback-ey type of car

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

-snip-

You'll probably find that the Focus isn't to your liking as well considering it's based on the same platform and has the same engine as the Mazda 3. The 6 is a bit larger and has a decent engine in the 3L v6. There's even a wagon model available which has tons of storage space.

wmelon on
  • Options
    ainuvasainuvas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I drive a company '05 Matrix every day and personally I hate it. I can never get comfortable and by the end of the day my back is killing me. This is the first car I've ever noticed that does this. (That being said, others say they really like theirs, so its possible it might be just me) We'd considered a Matrix when buying a family vehicle, but ended up with a VW Golf instead because of my back issues.

ainuvas on
    ainuvas.gif
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Consider the 2008/2009 Hyundai Elantra. I but you if you drive it, you'll like it. Drive the SE trim level.

Seconded. I drive a 2007 Elantra, and haven't had any problems whatsoever yet (~11,000 miles) - comfy, seems to get good gas mileage, great warranty (10 years/100,000 miles). My wife's planning to get her own whenever the hamsters in her ol' Kia Spectra decide to give out.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do not count out the Fit as a Matrix clone. Once you have a seat inside I think you'll change your tune. It is a brilliant car in its own right as well as being quite unique. The car is tiny, and yet inside there is a plethora of room. I'm 6'2 and I can sit comfortably in the back seat. Perhaps not for 8 hours at a time, but it is manageable. I bought a Fit for my mom at the end of summer and she loves it. Manual gearbox and she is 57 haha. The automatic costs more but you get those rubbish flappy paddles if you're into that.

I'll post more later if you're interested I have to get to work at the moment, but I do suggest you take a test drive of the new '09 Fit. It really is an awesome little car.

Shogun on