Options

Ocarina Of Time Ten Years Today

• Options
    DividesByZeroDividesByZero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I can't express to you how excited I was for this game; OoT was going to make me stop regretting that I wasn't a playstation owner.

I got about to the forest temple before I quit playing. I think this was probably the first game I just kind of forgot about as the dreaded "jaded gamer syndrome" set in.

Eight years later I pulled the n64 out of storage and set out to beat OoT. I had a blast. The game has aged horribly in a lot of ways, but there is just a pulsing mass of fun lurking under the muddy textures and 5-polygon people.

In fairness, I did use the guide I got for Christmas when the game came out and I'm sure that helped me overcome any major frustrations.

DividesByZero on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was a PlayStation-only owner back when this came out, and sadly in my middle school days (I was in 7th grade when this came out), it was exchanges of "lol Kidtendo 64" vs. "lol Gaystation".

Like three years later I got an N64 for dirt cheap at the flea market and picked up this and GoldenEye. I called it the greatest game of all time, and it's still in my top five (#3, actually; yes, I keep a top 5 list).

Wind Waker was goddamned amazing though, and I actually preferred it simply because of controls until I played the GC and VC versions of Ocarina. Pretty much the N64 controller was the only thing wrong with it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh hey, Ocarina of Time is today's Wikipedia entry of the day.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    hoo boy do I have a memory of the launch for OoT.

I was 16, went to get it at launch (reserved for gold cart and all). The launch day for me was nice and all, I had a great day playing it and forgetting any and all homework I had. It was really cool. However, the real memory comes later on, about 2 weeks after launch.

I was spending the night at this girl's house I had met about a month prior. We weren't dating, but we became really good friends pretty fast and I was to go to her house and help her with math homework. Well, I went over and I realized she had an N64 (which surprised me, she was absolutely not the gaming type. Typical hot blonde type of girl). Well, after we got done all our homework and she started understanding the stuff better, she asked if I ever heard of the new Zelda game....I was kinda shocked and was like "yeah I got it, it's awesome" so she has me go to her room and we played for like 4 hours. It was around 11pm and I was tired as shit so I just kinda fell asleep next to her. We were in this huge beanbag type chair. She later told me her parents came up to her room and saw me sleeping, but just left me alone instead of waking me up. So, anyways when i woke up at 6am I saw an N64 controller leading to the girl (Kristen was her name), left in her hands and her head was resting on my shoulder. She was sleeping and the game was left in the Water temple.

She woke up and the first thing she said was that she didn't invite me over to help with her homework (even though she actually did need the help). She kissed me and we dated after that for about a year.

so when I hear someone say stuff about the water temple in OoT, the last thing I think of is "bad".

Great story man.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I beat this game at least six times between the ages of nine and eleven. It is, in my opinion, the greatest video game ever made.

I've also owned five different copies, although I'm not sure I still have the first.

I always hated the Shadow Temple when I was younger though, it scared the shit out of me.

I miss the days of the N64. I just haven't been able to get into another console since.

Nostalgia blows. Timemachineplz?

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Witchsight wrote: »
    I think everyone did a 3 heart run.

I don't ever remember any required hearts

Sryus? Ive never looked up the right way to do it... but i could have sworn there was a boss whose arena you couldnt escape unless you hopped in the little tranportation portal that had a heart right in it.

Pretty sure. I beat it with 3 hearts and only 3 hearts. I think. Fuck, let me go check.

edit, yeah,this video shows someone beating the final boss with only 3 hearts

http:// www.youtube.com /watch?v=vEOS4qboxtw

mangled for spoilers

You know, it's possible to have Youtube links without it emedding. Quote me to see how I did.
    [VIDURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEOS4qboxtw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEOS4qboxtw[/VIDURL]

Personally, I think that Ocarina of Time has some parts that are really great, but it also has some things that I find annoying.

I did it because for the past month, whenever i use vidurl it didn't parse.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    TubaFrogTubaFrog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jerks at the mall videogame store didn't want to give me the gold cart! :x

TubaFrog on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm convinced that, for myself, the reason any new console past PS1 and N64 (and Dreamcast) doesn't have the same magical feeling is because when all 3 of those consoles came out I was in High School. Those, so far have been the best 4 years of my life. I'll never look at games the way I did when I was in High School. I mean hell, a HUGE reason I love FF7 as much as I do is because in that year of school (my sophmore year I think) a ton of big life changing things happened to me. Cloud and crew were there to help me forget some of the shitty things going on and by the time I got to the ending of the game, my life had changed pretty drastically. I was being invited to a lot of parties and social outings and stuff.

Sure, I love the new consoles but they just don't have that spark that N64 and PS1 had. I remember playing Secret of Mana when I was on a nostalgia kick one day and my girlfriend at the time had broken up with me, so the title music always ALWAYS brings tears to my eyes.

it's things like that, for me, that this generation is lacking and it has nothing to do with the systems or games themselves, it's got everything to do with me.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Decent game, but it hasn't aged well.
    I might have enjoyed it more back in the day, but every other 3D Zelda eclipses it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I might have enjoyed it more back in the day, but every other 3D Zelda eclipses it.

I'm almost 100% certain you just said that to make me upset.

Take it back D:

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Take it back D:

I've been saying this opinion on the boards for years.
    It's a good game, I just prefer Majora, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Minish Cap, Four Swords Adventures and indeed most other Zeldas.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    "Bask in the glory of my opinions"

- OoT wasn't that great, but it gets a pass 'cause it was the first of the 3D world (i.e. I acknowledge its importance, but it still wasn't much to write home about as a game)
    - Majora's was superior to both it and WW (though in the latter case, just barely)
    - TP was about as good as OoT, but it does NOT get the "world first" free pass

Oh and most importantly

- The top three Zelda games are Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Link's Awakening (DX) in that order

Ledneh on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Take it back D:

It's a good game, I just prefer Majora, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Minish Cap, Four Swords Adventures and indeed most other Zeldas.

I hold the same opinion and while I don't call OOT the greatest game of all time it was certainly one of the most important

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ohtsam wrote: »

Take it back D:

I hold the same opinion and while I don't call OOT the greatest game of all time it was certainly one of the most important
    Oh, I'll certainly give you that.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, I love 3D Zelda's as much as the next guy, but I can't help but feel that Zelda (as a series) lost something in the transition to 3D.

Hint: Inventory

Link to the Past had so many items, all that had their potential uses. Not every item needed to be found in a dungeon, some items upgraded, others did not. Some items were only plot based, most weren't. It was just so vast. Now, while 3D zeldas did a great job of transferring items into 3D, such as the hookshot and bow, the all over variety, is what I miss.

My favorite item in LttP was the Ice Rod. You don't find it in a dungeon, you can get it as soon as you've cleared Dungeon 2 in the Light World, technically before you finish it. It was vital way later in the game, and it was just a really neat item.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I drove in a horrible rainstorm for 90 min (both ways) to secure my gold cart when i was in college. To me the game was a major let down. I was expecting a lot more from it I suppose, it was the death of N64 in my heart. I sold it to a buddy at my school about 5 months later.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Minish cap actually had the best selection of items, I thought.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Minish cap actually had the best selection of items, I thought.

Minish cap was definitely a step in the Right Direction.

Old classic items that people would bitch if they were gone. Yet a good healthy amount of either newet items, or newer takes on older items to keep the game fresh.

Roc's Cape? Awesome. Digging claws? Okay, these are kinda cool.

Still though, that sheer amount of inventory LttP had puts Minish Cap to shame.

Honestly, I was severly dissapointed in Phantom Hourglass that it only had like 7 items, one of which was the shovel...

edit: For clarification, Minish Cap had an inventory screen of 3 by 4. 12 items. LttP had 5 by 4, 20 items, not including powered up items, and other passive equipment of course.

edit 2: Wait, was LttP past 5 by 4, or 5 by 5?

Kor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Phantom Hourglass made up for it by making the items so enjoyable to use.
    Dungeon design was my main problem with that game. Too derivative.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Three words: MOTHERFUCKING BIGGORON SWORD

Slaying Iron Knuckles twice as fast is friggin sweet.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

If you just do <vidurl>URL</vidurl>, it won't work. You have to do <vidurl=URL>stuff</vidurl>.

There are a few things in OoT that I think is stupid bullshit. Example: in order to get the fire arrow, you have to shoot the sun in a specific place in the morning. There's a text with writing on it, that says that you have to do that, but I think that it's retarded.

When I played I never found the ice arrow, Nayru's Love or Farore's Wind and the only reason I found Din's Fire was because my cousin, who had played the game before, told me how to get it. I know, they're supposed to be secrets, but there wasn't even any hints about them.

Also, I remember being stuck and stopping playing during the fire temple twice. One time in Master Quest and the other in regular OoT.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    How did you get stuck in the Fire Temple? It's like the most straightforward dungeon together with Dodongo's Cavern.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OoA/OoS had the best (read: goofiest damn) inventories. Magnet glove, Switch shot, all the different seeds

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

If you just do <vidurl>URL</vidurl>, it won't work. You have to do <vidurl=URL>stuff</vidurl>.

There are a few things in OoT that I think is stupid bullshit. Example: in order to get the fire arrow, you have to shoot the sun in a specific place in the morning. There's a text with writing on it, that says that you have to do that, but I think that it's retarded.

When I played I never found the ice arrow, Nayru's Love or Farore's Wind and the only reason I found Din's Fire was because my cousin, who had played the game before, told me how to get it. I know, they're supposed to be secrets, but there wasn't even any hints about them.

Also, I remember being stuck and stopping playing during the fire temple twice. One time in Master Quest and the other in regular OoT.

I found the Fire Arrow pretty easily. Personally I liked the way you had to search OoT to find thing like Farore's Wind and Nayru's Love... What I didn't like is how I never once used the damn things because they were goddamn retarded items. Well, I'll rephrase, Farore's Wind is a goddamn retarded item. Nayru's Love wouldn't have been a retarded item, if Nintendo hadn't changed their philosophy over the years from "Nintendo Hard" to "Nintendo Easy".

Anyway, the Fire Arrow is kinda hard to miss. As soon as you beat the Water Temple, Sheik talks to you and the camera keeps panning over that gravestone to sort of hint it to you. As soon as you can move again its super early morning, so you go over, read "shoot an arrow at the sun in the morning" then you just shoot, because the sun is still really early. Even if you missed it, it took a whopping 4 minutes to swap from night to day?

edit: Oh, also, the Ice Arrow was found in the Gerudu time trail dungeon. You can actually see the arrow at the very beginning, so you know what your reward would be if you got thru it.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wait, the Bug Catching Net, the Cane of Byrna and the Magic Cape aren't retarded? Come on.

While not an inventory item, the fishing rod provided hours of entertainment. Bug Catching Net, not so much.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, it's difficult to parse through and determine the nostalgia factor vs. the actual game as to why I love OoT so much. It was the game that really got me into video gaming. Regardless, the game itself does stand on its own as a great early example of a video game epic.

1. Story begins "in media res"- Not really, though you could say that Ganondorf has already been around cursing the Deku Tree and everyone else to try and get the spiritual stones.

2. Unusual circumstances surround the hero's birth- definitely. We never find out who his real mother is, and it's something of a mystery for the first half of the game how Link can leave the Forest when his friends can't.

3. Hero encounters women as temptresses- well every chick in the game does seem to have a crush on Link. The only ones who really threaten the completion of his journey are the Gerudo and possibly Ruto.

4. The final task is completed alone- Zelda doesn't do enough in my opinion during the last fight to make this one untrue.

5. Vast setting- OoT probably has the biggest world of any 3D game of its time.

6. Statement of the theme- the Deku Tree's speech to Navi before he sends her to Link explains the basic theme of good and evil, and the evil descending on the land.

7. Use of epithets- maybe? I feel like they used epithets somewhere.

8. Long and formal speeches- Kaepora Gaebora, anyone?

9. Divine intervention in human affairs- Triforce

Lots of Zelda games have an epic feel, but I think OoT does the best job of the traditional epic poem. Link's Awakening does the philosophical introspective epic. Twilight Princess pulls off the modern, Lord of the Rings type epic. I could go on, but it's not necessary.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Terrendos wrote: »

I feel obliged to point out that Daggerfall came out a year earlier.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The Bug Catching net was just a limitation item. Its how you put faries in jars in LttP.

The Cane of Byrna IS Nayru's Love. The only difference, is tha tin OoT you have to almost try to die, whereas LttP, dying outside of dungeons wasn't exactly uncommon.

The Magic cape was great if you used it. Invisibility/Immunity to enemies? Yeah, thats pretty cool, especially in rooms that you know you're going to get eaten up a bit. I used it a lot in Dungeon 5 of LttP. Becuase it always takes me about 3 tries to properly get that block down to that one floor to get to the boss, I always go thru 2 or 3 rooms that is a garunteed hit to me. And since Dungeon 5 does a great job of letting you scrape by with minimal Magic and Health, it was actually pretty challenging.

Kor on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Kor wrote: »

I found the Fire Arrow pretty easily. Personally I liked the way you had to search OoT to find thing like Farore's Wind and Nayru's Love... What I didn't like is how I never once used the damn things because they were goddamn retarded items. Well, I'll rephrase, Farore's Wind is a goddamn retarded item. Nayru's Love wouldn't have been a retarded item, if Nintendo hadn't changed their philosophy over the years from "Nintendo Hard" to "Nintendo Easy".

Anyway, the Fire Arrow is kinda hard to miss. As soon as you beat the Water Temple, Sheik talks to you and the camera keeps panning over that gravestone to sort of hint it to you. As soon as you can move again its super early morning, so you go over, read "shoot an arrow at the sun in the morning" then you just shoot, because the sun is still really early. Even if you missed it, it took a whopping 4 minutes to swap from night to day?

edit: Oh, also, the Ice Arrow was found in the Gerudu time trail dungeon. You can actually see the arrow at the very beginning, so you know what your reward would be if you got thru it.

There's a difference between 'hard' and 'cheap'

None of the Zelda games were hard.

Zelda 2 was cheap.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Zelda 1 was kind of hard, actually.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Zelda 1 was kind of hard, actually.

So was LttP and Link's Awakening.

It was once the 3D games came about that enemies started hitting you for 1/4th a heart in the late game.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Chen wrote: »
    How did you get stuck in the Fire Temple? It's like the most straightforward dungeon together with Dodongo's Cavern.

Shut up. I was stuck in Dodongo's Cavern for well over a year. There was a room of torches to light and there were Dodongos in the room, so I assumed that you had to trick the Dodongos into breathing fire on the torches, completely ignoring the lit torch right next to you when you enter the room.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Terrendos wrote: »

I feel obliged to point out that Daggerfall came out a year earlier.

I was talking about the console world, but point taken. It was still pretty massive.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    While not an inventory item, the fishing rod provided hours of entertainment. Bug Catching Net, not so much.

true, but without the bug catching net you couldn't defeat Agahnim or catch fairies.

Also, without the useless magic cape, its tough to get the even more useless cane of byrna

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Here's hoping we get Majora's Mask on the Virtual Console soon. I tried a friend's copy as a kid and hated the time limit, especially before you get the reset song, but I really want to give it another go now that I'm older and more willing to put up with annoying things in the name of originality.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

true, but without the bug catching net you couldn't defeat Agahnim or catch fairies.

Also, without the useless magic cape, its tough to get the even more useless cane of byrna

what?

Kor on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Three words: MOTHERFUCKING BIGGORON SWORD

Slaying Iron Knuckles twice as fast is friggin sweet.

Thinking about it, I never got the Biggoron's sword either. I do know kinda how to get that, though.

You're probably right about those things, I only played farther than the Fire Temple once and I didn't pay enough attention to stuff for me to remember now. I definitely don't remember any "Gerudo time trial dungeon", though.

Peewi on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    "Bask in the glory of my opinions"

- OoT wasn't that great, but it gets a pass 'cause it was the first of the 3D world (i.e. I acknowledge its importance, but it still wasn't much to write home about as a game)
    - Majora's was superior to both it and WW (though in the latter case, just barely)
    - TP was about as good as OoT, but it does NOT get the "world first" free pass

Oh and most importantly

- The top three Zelda games are Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Link's Awakening (DX) in that order
    You're opinions and bad and you should feel bad. I have always maintained that the original Gameboy Zeldas are the 'worst' of the series (fortunately, worst here means still better than pretty much everything else).

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I did not like the Oracle games. I did like Link's Awakening.

Kor on
  • Options
    thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

what?

...or your sword, but that's not as awesome as deflecting magic with some string and wood.

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg