Options

Ocarina Of Time Ten Years Today

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I feel bad saying that I don't enjoy a single 2D Zelda.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Tried Minish Cap?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How can you not like A Link to the Past? Is such a thing even possible?

...no. No it isn't. I'll just pretend you meant all the other ones.

Graviija on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I liked Link's Awakening. I've tried to play A Link to the Past twice in the past 4 years and I always finish the 3rd dungeon and put it down. I guess I should fix that one of these days.

I tried playing Oracle of Seasons, but I just couldn't get into it so I never tried Oracle of Ages.

And I just bought Phantom Hourglass, so here's to playing through it on Thanksgiving break.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Minish Cap is the best 2D zelda.

And yes, before you ask, I've played all of them, and own almost all.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just think that the items in OoT are implemented really well in the game, from the ocarina, magic beans, bottles and the trade quest item, the developers actually thought about how to use these items. The ocarina's uses are obvious, but it's amazing to see how much you can do with it. The magic beans aren't just used to get heart pieces, it's very useful in the trade sidequest too. Bottles have several uses, like storing bugs and poes. The trade quest is just brilliantly done like in Link's Awakening.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

Tried Minish Cap?

No, I don't own a GBA.

By 2D Zeldas, I mean LoZ, Zelda II, and LTTP.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Tried Minish Cap?

No, I don't own a GBA.

By 2D Zeldas, I mean LoZ, Zelda II, and LTTP.

Minish Cap is much more accessible, and feels more in line with the 3D ones.
    Worth giving a shot if you get the chance.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Chen wrote: »
    I just think that the items in OoT are implemented really well in the game, from the ocarina, magic beans, bottles and the trade quest item, the developers actually thought about how to use these items. The ocarina's uses are obvious, but it's amazing to see how much you can do with it. The magic beans aren't just used to get heart pieces, it's very useful in the trade sidequest too. Bottles have several uses, like storing bugs and poes. The trade quest is just brilliantly done like in Link's Awakening.

LttP doesn't disable half your inventory when you go into the Dark World, either.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh yeah I forgot about Minish Cap.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also didn't like Phantom Hourglass, though not sure if you'd count that a 2D Zelda or not.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    hoo boy do I have a memory of the launch for OoT.

I was 16, went to get it at launch (reserved for gold cart and all). The launch day for me was nice and all, I had a great day playing it and forgetting any and all homework I had. It was really cool. However, the real memory comes later on, about 2 weeks after launch.

I was spending the night at this girl's house I had met about a month prior. We weren't dating, but we became really good friends pretty fast and I was to go to her house and help her with math homework. Well, I went over and I realized she had an N64 (which surprised me, she was absolutely not the gaming type. Typical hot blonde type of girl). Well, after we got done all our homework and she started understanding the stuff better, she asked if I ever heard of the new Zelda game....I was kinda shocked and was like "yeah I got it, it's awesome" so she has me go to her room and we played for like 4 hours. It was around 11pm and I was tired as shit so I just kinda fell asleep next to her. We were in this huge beanbag type chair. She later told me her parents came up to her room and saw me sleeping, but just left me alone instead of waking me up. So, anyways when i woke up at 6am I saw an N64 controller leading to the girl (Kristen was her name), left in her hands and her head was resting on my shoulder. She was sleeping and the game was left in the Water temple.

She woke up and the first thing she said was that she didn't invite me over to help with her homework (even though she actually did need the help). She kissed me and we dated after that for about a year.

so when I hear someone say stuff about the water temple in OoT, the last thing I think of is "bad".

Dawww that's nice. I could of done with something like that when I was a 16.

See, that's the power of this game!

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    "Bask in the glory of my opinions"

- OoT wasn't that great, but it gets a pass 'cause it was the first of the 3D world (i.e. I acknowledge its importance, but it still wasn't much to write home about as a game)
    - Majora's was superior to both it and WW (though in the latter case, just barely)
    - TP was about as good as OoT, but it does NOT get the "world first" free pass

Oh and most importantly

- The top three Zelda games are Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Link's Awakening (DX) in that order

WRONG!
    Seasons is better than Ages. It's funny how you proclaim those as the best ones, as they often get forgotten in Zelda discussions, along with Four Swords (Adventure).
    Graviija wrote: »
    How can you not like A Link to the Past? Is such a thing even possible?

...no. No it isn't. I'll just pretend you meant all the other ones.

I didn't play ALttP until the GBA release, and I don't really remember my first playthrough, but when I replayed it recently I slowly began hating it, purely because of you easily you can die, despite having a shitton of hearts.
    Minish Cap is the best 2D zelda.

And yes, before you ask, I've played all of them, and own almost all.

It really is awesome. I love how you learn additional sword techniques throughout the game. The roll attack is cool and it's pretty neat that they put it in TP.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MikeRyu wrote: »

I was 16, went to get it at launch (reserved for gold cart and all). The launch day for me was nice and all, I had a great day playing it and forgetting any and all homework I had. It was really cool. However, the real memory comes later on, about 2 weeks after launch.

I was spending the night at this girl's house I had met about a month prior. We weren't dating, but we became really good friends pretty fast and I was to go to her house and help her with math homework. Well, I went over and I realized she had an N64 (which surprised me, she was absolutely not the gaming type. Typical hot blonde type of girl). Well, after we got done all our homework and she started understanding the stuff better, she asked if I ever heard of the new Zelda game....I was kinda shocked and was like "yeah I got it, it's awesome" so she has me go to her room and we played for like 4 hours. It was around 11pm and I was tired as shit so I just kinda fell asleep next to her. We were in this huge beanbag type chair. She later told me her parents came up to her room and saw me sleeping, but just left me alone instead of waking me up. So, anyways when i woke up at 6am I saw an N64 controller leading to the girl (Kristen was her name), left in her hands and her head was resting on my shoulder. She was sleeping and the game was left in the Water temple.

She woke up and the first thing she said was that she didn't invite me over to help with her homework (even though she actually did need the help). She kissed me and we dated after that for about a year.

so when I hear someone say stuff about the water temple in OoT, the last thing I think of is "bad".

seriously that is like the best story in the world
    it warms my soul on this snowy day

Snork on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MikeRyu wrote: »

Hmm... I can't help but remember a Letter written into Nintendo Power about almost this exact same thing. A girl asking for advice on how to get some guys attention. She was a gamer and knew he liked games. She even included the OoT bit...

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OoT is still the most memorable I've ever played, and still on the top of my list of Favorite Games ever. Although I've lost my GC disc :( Maybe I'll have to track one down somewhere and give it another play through.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just typed up a post in the disappointing games thread defending Twilight Princess, saying how it's one of the only games (TP and Mario Galaxy) that made me feel like I was a little kid playing OoT and Mario 64 again.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Jesus, Minish Cap is expensive. If you can find it, of course.

Renzo on
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I got OOT around Christmas when I was 13 and about 30 seconds after turning on the N64, we lost electricity for the night. It was horrible.

I loved the game (though maybe not quite as much as LTTP); I remember sweaty palms fighting Ganondorf and whacking at Ganon with the broken haft of the biggoron sword because I had no idea what else to do.

It also makes me sort of sad thinking about it. I liked MM well enough but everything else since has been a disappointment. I hated Wind Waker and sailing is the most indefensible bad mechanic in all video games. I was completely indifferent to TP. I just stopped playing it for a couple days when I went away for a weekend and never felt like picking it up again (the spinner was awesome though).

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Minish cap is so good, but the sky dungeon is HARD.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    I played OoT when I was about 9 years old and loved it. The Water Temple was a real bitch though and while I managed to get past it, I never finished the game (stopped at Ganon's castle).

WHAT

You can't stop there. The end fights are so awesome. They are "Top 10 Gaming Moments" material. Then the end is kind of cheesy except for this one moment. So good.

I've seen other people play the end fights and I've seen the ending so I know exactly what you mean. Maybe I might replay the entire game some day and be able to play the end fights myself.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I got OOT around Christmas when I was 13 and about 30 seconds after turning on the N64, we lost electricity for the night. It was horrible.

I loved the game (though maybe not quite as much as LTTP); I remember sweaty palms fighting Ganondorf and whacking at Ganon with the broken haft of the biggoron sword because I had no idea what else to do.

It also makes me sort of sad thinking about it. I liked MM well enough but everything else since has been a disappointment. I hated Wind Waker and sailing is the most indefensible bad mechanic in all video games. I was completely indifferent to TP. I just stopped playing it for a couple days when I went away for a weekend and never felt like picking it up again (the spinner was awesome though).

Goron butter knives for the win

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I honestly don't get the complaints about sailing in WW. Personally I loved sailing to all these small islands, feeding the fishman to get the sea chart and exploring the island for secrets. I'd say that it has more exploration than most other games in the series, because of all these places that you don't have to go to.

Peewi on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I didn't like OoT, I think to me, that Zelda will always be best in 2D. (Much like Sonic, Mario and megaman)

My roommate and I rented it on his then new N64. We both thought it was slow and shitty, too much hand holding and talking to annoying NPCs (First Zelda had monsters as soon as you left the initial screen.) I tried to play it again when I got the Zelda collection for my gamecube I got a bit father this time around, but still lost interest.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This thread reminds me that I never did beat Master Quest.

I thought I was a badass when I got the Ice Arrows for the first time, but hell if I can beat Ganon's Tower in MQ. I need to get back on this.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Minish cap is so good, but the sky dungeon is HARD.

It's easier than pretty much all of LTTP, though.

And sailing in WW was amazing. The only problem with it was the damn map- you knew there was going to be an island in each of those grid squares, and that sucked all the discovery out of it. If it had been a more open, less rigidly arranged ocean, and the last couple of dungeons had been better, it would've been the best Zelda.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zelda II was my favorite 2d one. I am error.
    I used to draw out the fights with any humansized enemy that could use a shield, just because i thought it looked really cool.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

I honestly don't get the complaints about sailing in WW. Personally I loved sailing to all these small islands, feeding the fishman to get the sea chart and exploring the island for secrets. I'd say that it has more exploration than most other games in the series, because of all these places that you don't have to go to.

I just found it extremely boring and monotonous and a very bland way to explore. If the islands were more tightly packed and there was a better land vs. sea transportation ratio, I may have been okay with it.

To make matters worse, I love sailing in real life. When you take away the sound of the water and feel of the wind/sun, it's just a whole lot of passively staring at the TV screen or pointing yourself in one direction and going to grab a drink.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've beaten OoT a few times both on 64 and on the GC but I have yet to complete MM since the day it came out. It definately doesn't grasp me like OoT and I hate the time limit because honestly I can be dirt slow in temples. I think the last time I played MM was last year and gave up on the Water Temple. I saw all the pipes and water and said "Fuck it."

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is my favorite game ever. Ever. Ever ever. Ever.

I could write an entire novel on why this is my favorite game ever, but I'll just share my favorite moment: stepping onto Hyrule Field for the first time in the early morning light. The music starts, and the camera pans up and over, showing you the vast kingdom you're about to explore.

AND THEN YOU GET ATTACKED BY SOME SORT OF HOVERING PINEAPPLE MONSTER OMGWTF RUN

The thing that sticks with me about OoT and pretty much all Zelda games even to this day is their music. Koji Kondo is a genius.

Check out the site done by people reorchestrating the Zelda MIDI music into full orchestral scores: http://www.zreomusic.com/listen

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »

LttP doesn't disable half your inventory when you go into the Dark World, either.

Well, all the disabled stuff had equivalents in the other time period.

Also technically you don't have the stuff from adulthood when you go back in time :P

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think the last time I played MM was last year and gave up on the Water Temple. I saw all the pipes and water and said "Fuck it."

That + Stone Tower Temple = Probably harder than the water temple in OoT, especially if you're looking to get all the small fairies in the dungeon.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

I just found it extremely boring and monotonous and a very bland way to explore. If the islands were more tightly packed and there was a better land vs. sea transportation ratio, I may have been okay with it.

To make matters worse, I love sailing in real life. When you take away the sound of the water and feel of the wind/sun, it's just a whole lot of passively staring at the TV screen or pointing yourself in one direction and going to grab a drink.

Sailing was beautiful and such a great idea. I hope whoever came up with that got a hearty pat on the back after the meeting. It was a fantastic way of creating a sense of exploration and making the world large and open without actually having to make it that big. I loved standing on the edge of islands and knowing that I could just keep going and I'd find something else.

I do agree that it got a bit tedious but only in the second half of the game for me. If there had been some more interesting tasks to perform and the sail was auto assigned instead of being an item it would have been better.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think the last time I played MM was last year and gave up on the Water Temple. I saw all the pipes and water and said "Fuck it."

That + Stone Tower Temple = Probably harder than the water temple in OoT, especially if you're looking to get all the small fairies in the dungeon.

If you're using the Great Fairy's Mask, finding the stray fairies isn't that hard. Stone Tower Temple is pretty hard, but it's also really good.

Peewi on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fuck.... Ten years since that game came out...

I'll be dead soon. This makes me fell fucking old.

Johannen on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The most hyped, greatest launch I've ever seen for a video game. I'd been waiting feverishly for three years, since it had been announced - or seven, if you count the gap between it and A Link To The Past. I followed it's development religiously, buying every magazine I could that had fresh new pictures to show me. For me and many people I knew, it was the Holy Grail of gaming. There was simply no way it could go wrong, not even with the immense amount of pressure Nintendo must have been under to deliver. The thought didn't enter our minds. Ocarina was going to be as close to perfect a game as we would ever play. And you know what?

It was.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Definitely one of the greatest games of all time. I was 8 when it came out, and it was the best Christmas ever. I remember kids bringing the Zelda guides to school and talking about it. And the first kid who beat it was like the coolest kid at school. Such a great game.

eric. on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Link's Awakening was the best game I had ever played and totally enthralled me, making me a gamer for life. I was so pissed that my parents wouldn't buy me an N64 when this game came out.

Luckily I was able to convince a friend to lend my his console so I could play this game. It truly blew me away.

Food on
  • Options
    darkwarriorvadarkwarriorva Senior Keyboard Basher, Touch Thingy Specialist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rohan wrote: »
    The most hyped, greatest launch I've ever seen for a video game. I'd been waiting feverishly for three years, since it had been announced - or seven, if you count the gap between it and A Link To The Past. I followed it's development religiously, buying every magazine I could that had fresh new pictures to show me. For me and many people I knew, it was the Holy Grail of gaming. There was simply no way it could go wrong, not even with the immense amount of pressure Nintendo must have been under to deliver. The thought didn't enter our minds. Ocarina was going to be as close to perfect a game as we would ever play. And you know what?

It was.

Thus I'm reminded of seeing this on TV in the days before it was released: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JntHVUp7m4E

Such epicness.

darkwarriorva on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OoT was just so perfectly balanced and well paced. The story was engrossing and the world consumed your imagination. But not only that, there was so many things to do. The trading game, the bean sprouts, golden skulltullas, poes, there was just SO MUCH to do and every one of those quests gave you a satisfying reward.

That's one of my main complaints with twilight princess. All the rewards for the mini dungeons and side quests pretty much amounts to ruppies or heart pieces. That's it. You pretty much know you're going to get one of the two, and some times it just didn't feel like it was worth the effort.

Guek on