Options

Ocarina Of Time Ten Years Today

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I remember getting OoT for Christmas the year it came out. I was 10. I was so excited to finally have "Zelda 64" and it was the first thing I opened in order to look at the manual.

There's just something about the game, something magical. It just drew me in and wouldn't let go in such a way that I don't think any other game has ever done. It seemed like I was really part of the world. Once all my friends got it the same thing happened to them, we were all drawn into this virtual world.

It helps that Link to the Past was my favourite game as a kid. Ocarina took the bets of aspects of Link to the Past, and turned it 3D. At the time it seemed like it turned Zelda from a game into something real.

Ocarina of Time was my favourite game for many, many years. I just can't grasp it when people tell me they thought the game sucked, or was nothing special. Can't grasp it at all.

[EDIT] Ocarina of Time is today's featured article on Wikipedia. Rock on.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    10 years? Really? Wow.

I remember asking for this for Christmas, with very specific instructions on how to acquire the gold cart edition. And even if they didn't pre-order, the local K-mart still had them in the display a week after it came out.

After that, for any game worth pre-ordering I always did it myself, no matter how close to Christmas it came out.

Anyway this game is awesome and still one of my favorites. There's a link in my sig to all the LoZ Let's Plays, including my crappy one for this game. So if you're feeling ultra-nostalgic and want to watch a dull LP of most of the game, just click below!

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This was my first Zelda. But I didn't get it until december 4th.

It's amazing that I still remember what date I got this game, even though it isn't my favorite Zelda, but it's in the top 3.

I'm this close to completing my Zelda collection. Once I get ALTTP + Four Swords for GBA in the mail, it will be complete! I even have Tingle's Balloon Fight and Tingle's Rupeeland, but the NES games are on my Collectors Edition disc.

RockinX on
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    RockinX wrote: »
    I'm this close to completing my Zelda collection.

linklolvs2.gif

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh god! The horror!

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Those aren't real games!

RockinX on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think I still remember the adult trading sequence by heart.

On a vaguely related note I'm pretty sure I also still know every step in the Anju and Kafei subquest in MM.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aside from Link's Awakening, I never really got into Zelda until OoT came out

There was something about those screenshots and articles in Nintendo Power that convinced me I had to have this game

On the day it came out, my mom let me stay home from school, and we went to Wal-Mart to get it

It was glorious

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    during the console wars of the late 90s, I remember OoT being my #1 means of defense. Some of my friends would go off of long rants about how the ps1 was a superior system and how I was a complete sap for buying into the 64. I would just calmly tell them that the 64 had OoT and smile. Of course that wouldn't convince any of them, but I didn't care. I had ocarina of time.

Guek on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    during the console wars of the late 90s, I remember OoT being my #1 means of defense. Some of my friends would go off of long rants about how the ps1 was a superior system and how I was a complete sap for buying into the 64. I would just calmly tell them that the 64 had OoT and smile. Of course that wouldn't convince any of them, but I didn't care. I had ocarina of time.

It is true that, while I don't rate OoT that high, the only PS1 game that I could honeslty put above it is Silent Hill.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I remember when OoT first came out one of my buddies was the first to get it. I remember I talked a lot of shit about how Zelda should have never moved to 3D and blah blah blah. Once I sat down and played it for five minutes I realized what a doucheturd I was being.

It's really a toss up between this and the SNES one, I just can't pick which one I love more.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm really torn about if I liked Link's Awakening or Ocarina of Time more. One thing I'm not torn on is ranking them below the greatest game in the history of the universe, Majora's Mask.

While I never cheated in Majora's Mask, I ripped Ocarina and Awakening to shreds using cheating devices, hoping to find one last bit of juicy gameplay. At one point, I had an elaborate gameshark code that would overwrite the current screen tiles in Link's Awakening. You could make pathways straight through walls and walk anywhere in the game, including in and out of the final boss battle.

I never released the codes on the internet because I didn't have access when I did all that. I gave away the sheets and sheets of hex code written in sharpie along with the rest of my game boy collection when I sold it on ebay. I told the buyer he now owned a part of me.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, Link's Awakening had a pretty good built in cheat anyway. The screen jumping cheat.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    Well, Link's Awakening had a pretty good built in cheat anyway. The screen jumping cheat.

That glitch is what inspired me to create the tile overwrite cheat. After forever mashing the select button on transitions and getting stuck in walls or infinite falling, I set out to make a noclip/hover cheat and stumbled upon the data that stored the tiles.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My favorite part of WW is at the Master Sword temple, behind the temple and kind of out of the way is the stained glass windows that retell the events of OoT. The fact that TP did not continue the story (it really seemed like OoT to WW was really going somewhere) was a major disappointment to me. Here's to hoping that OoT's storyline continues someday....

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Johannen wrote: »
    Fuck.... Ten years since that game came out...

I'll be dead soon. This makes me feel fucking old.

One of the greatest games of all time <3

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I started playing my N64 cart again. Man is it awesome. I played my Japanese Master Quest like two weeks ago, and I find that the N64 version looks better because it's blurry and it covers some of the edges of the polygons. The GameCube version has a higher resolution and all, but it's really not the same.

Also, I found it humorous when I got to the part where the Deku Scrub told me the order in which you have to beat the Deku brothers in Japanese.
    Deku Scrub wrote:
    2 3 1
    Ni San Ichiban!

It's a very simple joke, but it was funny. Ni means two, San means three, and Ichi means one. Ban is there to indicate a position, which is what makes the pun here: Nisan also means brother, and Ichiban means "the best" or "number one". So basically, he said "Brother is the best!"

RockinX on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just learned two things.

A) That MM and WW are both Zelda games but are also the same letters flipped upside-down WHOOOAA

B) What that damn restaurant in my town called "Ichiban Noodle" means

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I started playing my N64 cart again. Man is it awesome. I played my Japanese Master Quest like two weeks ago, and I find that the N64 version looks better because it's blurry and it covers some of the edges of the polygons. The GameCube version has a higher resolution and all, but it's really not the same.

Also, I found it humorous when I got to the part where the Deku Scrub told me the order in which you have to beat the Deku brothers in Japanese.
    Deku Scrub wrote:
    2 3 1
    Ni San Ichiban!

It's a very simple joke, but it was funny. Ni means two, San means three, and Ichi means one. Ban is there to indicate a position, which is what makes the pun here: Nisan also means brother, and Ichiban means "the best" or "number one". So basically, he said "Brother is the best!"

That makes a lot more sense than "Twenty-three is number one!"

Is it sad I have that memorized?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Terrendos wrote: »

Deku Scrub wrote:
    2 3 1
    Ni San Ichiban!

If it is, then I'm also a sad person.

RockinX on
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Deku Scrub wrote:
    2 3 1
    Ni San Ichiban!

Could be a Micheal Jordan reference D:

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    AggroChan wrote: »

Deku Scrub wrote:
    2 3 1
    Ni San Ichiban!

Honestly, thats what I used to think.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    AggroChan wrote: »

Deku Scrub wrote:
    2 3 1
    Ni San Ichiban!

Honestly, thats what I used to think.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Johannen wrote: »
    Fuck.... Ten years since that game came out...

I'll be dead soon. This makes me fell fucking old.

But think of how fortunate you are; you got to play this while so many before you never even dreamed it possible.

Sometimes age is good my friend.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Water temple was hard? I thought it was so easy, what was hard for me was the damn friggin zombie things. Scared the crap outa me and I hated them. Same with the well level, that also scared me cause it was in a freaking well.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lux782 wrote: »
    Water temple was hard? I thought it was so easy, what was hard for me was the damn friggin zombie things. Scared the crap outa me and I hated them. Same with the well level, that also scared me cause it was in a freaking well.

The water temple conjures such hate from the depths of my soul that playthoughs often end at it.

I hate the water temple. In fact, I hate all water temples. Were they not doused in water I would burn them in a fire so hot that it would make the depths of hell look tepid.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The first time I played it, when I was 14, I just blundered through it without much trouble. Ever since, though, my playthroughs go like this:

Playing Zelda > Get to Water Temple > Say "Fuck this" before even trying and hit up gamefaqs > Beat water temple > Play the rest of the game without gamefaqs

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't know what but this game didn't do it at all for me. I like Wind Waker a lot though.

I think it was the ultra-lame Megaton Hammer that ruined it for me. The Skull Hammer, in retrospect, was ten types of awesome.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I swear Miyamoto confirmed that the 23 is number 1 was a reference to Michael Jordan.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The hammers were the same. One just looked like it was made by Tim Burton.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Actually no. The Megaton hammer was like a tiny rubber mallet. I know they have the same functions but the Megaton hammer was incredibly lame looking.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Spoom182Spoom182 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This game came out when I was 4, I think, and it is easily my favorite game of all time. I freakin' cried when I beat this game, half because of the ending itself and half because there was nothing more to play. Also, I basically learned to read because of this game, since my dad was tired of reading all the dialogue to me and just refused after a while.

Spoom182 on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    Jesus, Minish Cap is expensive. If you can find it, of course.

Lots of copies available on goozex for 350 points (worth about $15). In fact, thanks to this thread, I've decided to give the game a try myself and just requested it.

Ocarina of Time is a good game, but I really think the series lost something with the transition to 3D. Link to the Past was such a huge improvement over the past games and yet I felt that Ocarina of Time was a step back for the series: uglier, muddy graphics, somewhat clunky controls, and a much less interesting overworld.

Twilight Princess was the game that Ocarina of Time should have been, but it came out so many years later that most people didn't care anymore.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoom182 wrote: »
    This game came out when I was 4, I think, and it is easily my favorite game of all time. I freakin' cried when I beat this game, half because of the ending itself and half because there was nothing more to play. Also, I basically learned to read because of this game, since my dad was tired of reading all the dialogue to me and just refused after a while.

This game made English my second language. I used to sit in front of the TV with a dictionary for whenever some dialogue would pop up.

Tharghor on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OoT was nice, but I feel TP is the best 3-d Zelda. Also, fuck PH so hard. Easily the worst game in the series barring... you know the ones. Those ones.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Lots of copies available on goozex for 350 points (worth about $15). In fact, thanks to this thread, I've decided to give the game a try myself and just requested it.

Ocarina of Time is a good game, but I really think the series lost something with the transition to 3D. Link to the Past was such a huge improvement over the past games and yet I felt that Ocarina of Time was a step back for the series: uglier, muddy graphics, somewhat clunky controls, and a much less interesting overworld.

Twilight Princess was the game that Ocarina of Time should have been, but it came out so many years later that most people didn't care anymore.

TP is good, and obviously prettier, but I feel like OoT's got it trumped in terms of both level design and story.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I still have my Gold copy :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

That's the amazing thing about OoT to me - it didn't have any problems in the adjustment to 3d. Much like Metroid Prime, it felt exactly like a 3d Zelda, which was and still is fantastic. I constantly replay OoT, and I didn't have a problem with it, even after TP.

And what exactly do you mean "people didn't care anymore"? Twilight Princess reviewed fantastically and sold millions of copies, so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Graviija on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Twilight Princess had plenty of problems

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Graviija wrote: »
    And what exactly do you mean "people didn't care anymore"? Twilight Princess reviewed fantastically and sold millions of copies, so I'm not quite sure what you're getting a.

I'm talking about the backlash that Twilight Princess seems to have received. Yes, it reviewed fantastically and sold a ton of copies, but nowadays, it seems like more people have negative things to say about it than positive. Personally, I thought it was a great game & I'll probably buy my own copy sometime down the line (played through it on my brother's copy).

Then again, this is the Internet and everyone tends to be more negative here.

RainbowDespair on