Options

Ocarina Of Time Ten Years Today

• Options
    thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think people were expecting TP to be another re-invention of the series, and not Oot with waggle controls.

Personally I loved TP, and I have a feeling that the next Zelda game will be the "change in a good direction" we're all waiting for.

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ProxyProxy regular
    edited November 2008
    OoT came out when I was still a kid, and I remember loving every minute of it (well... except for the Redead). I also enjoyed Twilight Princess, especially the much darker approach the story took. As far as I'm concerned, TP is the culmination and last hurrah of all Nintendo learned over the last 10 years of 3-D Zelda games, just as A Link into the Past was the culmination of what was started with The Legend of Zelda.

Proxy on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't understand the complaints about TP being too similar to OoT. Maybe all the wolf sections are just another thing I don't remember about OoT.

Peewi on
  • Options
    thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Does anyone here have either of the board games?

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The wolf sections were basically the worst parts of the game. You can't do shit. The masks from Majora's Mask on the other hand were awesome. I could spend hours swimming in the ocean as Zora Link. Wolf Link digs and smells. Thrilling.

But I digress.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey...

He can also smell things and eat bugs.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh man don't even get me started on TP. That was a game that had great dungeons and terrible everything else. Also, the story was pretty good right up until the end, where it took a right turn onto Pointless Boulevard.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Oh man don't even get me started on TP. That was a game that had great dungeons and terrible everything else. Also, the story was pretty good right up until the end, where it took a right turn onto Pointless Boulevard.

I really liked the first part of the game. The wolf segments could have been shorter, but I enjoyed the cut scenes, plus it seemed like there were going to be some well-developed characters. The story kind of disappeared after you finish the first 3 dungeons, though.

Also, some of the items were completely useless outside of the dungeons you got them in and 2 or 3 spots in the over world that lead to a heart containter or rupies that you didn't need.

Food on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm not sure why everyone hates the wolf so much

Gnawing on faces, the jumping sequences, and the special where you attacked everyone in the circle were all great stuff.

The howling scenes on the other hand...yikes.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Food wrote: »

I really liked the first part of the game. The wolf segments could have been shorter, but I enjoyed the cut scenes, plus it seemed like there were going to be some well-developed characters. The story kind of disappeared after you finish the first 3 dungeons, though.

Also, some of the items were completely useless outside of the dungeons you got them in and 2 or 3 spots in the over world that lead to a heart containter or rupies that you didn't need.

Useless items?

OoT
    Fire tunic. Only useful in two spots (fire temple, fire mini-dungeon).
    Water tunic. Only useful for a couple of heart containers or rupees. Only used in water temple.
    Farore's Wind. Unless you glitched it and used it on Hyrule Field.
    All the masks were optional, and after you were done it just sat there, taking up space. I guess it's useful if you do the bottle glitch.

Majora's Mask
    A lot of the masks were one-time-use, or only used in a sidequest. Two of them could only be used in boss battles.

LttP
    Half the shit in this game was useless.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Does anyone here have either of the board games?

I have the second one. In fact I have a lot of other Zelda stuff.

Click Link in the sig to see!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Twilight Princess did nothing for me because it had no identity for itself. It was trying to please everyone and did nothing to carve itself into the Zelda mold.

One minute it's trying to be like OOT, the next it's trying to be ALTTP, then Majora's Mask, etc.

I did not give two shits about any of the characters.

Even though it was massive, every place felt like the same damn area.

Gannondorf was thrown in at the last fucking minute to appease the fans, instead of sticking with Zant like they should have done.

Ocarina of Time had a very simple story, but it was told extremely well. I had a connection with every area of the world. It felt like a world; I really did feel like I was miles away from Hyrule while trekking through Gerudo Valley, or exploring the hollows of the forest temple, or nervously wandering through the bottom of the well. Everything felt larger than life and epic.

The only times I got anything close to those feelings in Twilight Princess was in the Desert Asylum at the Arbiter's Grounds and the Snow Mansion. Everything else fell flat for me.

Good combat, mediocre to terrible everything else.

Godfather on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Useless items?

OoT
    Water tunic. Only useful for a couple of heart containers or rupees. Only used in water temple.
    All the masks were optional, and after you were done it just sat there, taking up space. I guess it's useful if you do the bottle glitch.

Majora's Mask
    A lot of the masks were one-time-use, or only used in a sidequest. Two of them could only be used in boss battles.

LttP

Haha! Well said! But people like to complain, so you'll see a lot of complaining about TP.

RockinX on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, I'd like to point out that OOT wasn't released the 21st of november of 1998. It was released the 23rd. Wikipedia is not always right, you know.

Unless you mean in Japan, of course.

http://nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/nus-nzl.shtml

Edit: Ok, nevermind what I said. Wikipedia has the right date, but it only displayed the Japanese one before I clicked on "show".

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    RockinX I like your avatar.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The vast collection in vast spoilered image form because I like showing off :P
    2918903641_629a111430_m.jpg2919748002_95dfac0731_m.jpg2918903449_bbbe3c1331_m.jpg
    2919747748_9288b25ab6_m.jpg2918903221_1914f8e7b3_m.jpg2918903125_a34639fecb_m.jpg
    2918903027_9c8e80ddff_m.jpg2918902897_9102270c4e_m.jpg2918902619_b2c2761b70_m.jpg
    2919746972_3b7cc83c3a_m.jpg2918902445_8cea09c44b_m.jpg2918902349_88418a9863_m.jpg
    2918902249_1af285ce41_m.jpg186784905_f87a220745_m.jpg186776664_14cb28df9a_m.jpg
    186771103_0bca279340_m.jpg186766702_94b6189e93_m.jpg186758891_e691130e7e_m.jpg
    186746410_b65d2d7952_m.jpg186742440_8b28c2fe72_m.jpg186738538_9270e2cf96_m.jpg
    186731783_91a1ad52f3_m.jpg186727052_777e0aa83e_m.jpg186719702_8680bd457a_m.jpg
    186714383_cd03ae077c_m.jpg186709477_f8f8d9ced7_m.jpg186705095_c0473ab309_m.jpg
    186687612_dd7867280e_m.jpg186683193_b796e963b9_m.jpg186679803_b18f998284_m.jpg
    186673830_913ac3b5dd_m.jpg186667232_2550e20205_m.jpg132023309_878efb2e77_m.jpg
    132021012_fc90f09b8b_m.jpg132013991_6e01f60948_m.jpg132009322_6109b06a28_m.jpg
    132003684_1ea82aedc3_m.jpg131999885_40ffe17c04_m.jpg131997235_074c0d9c0f_m.jpg
    131992045_5d2d55c8c5_m.jpg131989372_32b90d91c7_m.jpg131982689_c75848d12c_m.jpg

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I

Wow

Godfather on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I was actually suprised that he didn't have the Zelda 2 thermos I found at a thrift store.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ShoeShoe Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    I loved how they did the gold cart thing with OoT. I remember being able to get one well after they were supposedly sold out because someone apparently didn't pick up a pre-order at Fred Meyer and I snatched it. It's not the same with cd's nowadays, Wind Waker just had some vaguely goldish-yellow on it. I don't know about TP, though, never saw the actual disk.

Looking back, I must have been around 16 when I played it back then. Could've sworn I was younger, but then, maybe that's what a good game will do to you. I remember seeing those initial screenshots in Nintendo Power, the ones that still showed Link in brown tights, and pretty much drooling. Even now, those shots with the low-poly wireframes and the kind-of-cheesy looking gold Iron Knuckle really take me back.

Also from a game design standpoint, the z-targeting was brilliant. I wish more games did it.

Shoe on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I remember after playing one game for a really long time and then going to the other, my friend would always try to hit A to make Link jump in OoT, whereas I would hit Z to try to make Mario Z-Target in Mario 64. What a great thing.

Snork on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think everyone did a 3 heart run.

I don't ever remember any required hearts

I didn't. As great as Ocarina of Time was, I never played through it a second time. I almost never play though games a second time though. The only two exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are Super Metroid and Half-Life.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh no... I can't find my 1998 grey OoT cart. The same one I've had since that very Christmas. Oh god! D:

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited November 2008
    ocarina of time will never be as good as I remembered it, so I will never play it again.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Twilight Princess did nothing for me because it had no identity for itself. It was trying to please everyone and did nothing to carve itself into the Zelda mold.

One minute it's trying to be like OOT, the next it's trying to be ALTTP, then Majora's Mask, etc.

I did not give two shits about any of the characters.

Even though it was massive, every place felt like the same damn area.

Gannondorf was thrown in at the last fucking minute to appease the fans, instead of sticking with Zant like they should have done.

Ocarina of Time had a very simple story, but it was told extremely well. I had a connection with every area of the world. It felt like a world; I really did feel like I was miles away from Hyrule while trekking through Gerudo Valley, or exploring the hollows of the forest temple, or nervously wandering through the bottom of the well. Everything felt larger than life and epic.

The only times I got anything close to those feelings in Twilight Princess was in the Desert Asylum at the Arbiter's Grounds and the Snow Mansion. Everything else fell flat for me.

Good combat, mediocre to terrible everything else.
    I agree with most of this, but I feel like the dungeons aren't getting enough love. The overworld was wretched and boring and colorless, but I can't think of a dungeon in TP that I didn't like.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, Farore's Wind was awesome. It was perfect for if you had to save and quit before finishing the dungeon.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ocarina's overworld was also wretched.
    Even more so, in fact.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've never understood why some people prefer Majora's Mark to this. Ocarina of Time is sooo good.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've never understood why some people prefer Majora's Mark to this. Ocarina of Time is sooo good.

OoT is the shining pinnacle example of a fairly standard flavour of game. MM is like nothing else before, or probably ever again.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Even more so, in fact.
    Wretched? Aren't we maybe using too strong of a word here? I can't think of anything, in any offical Zelda, that can be described as "wretched".

Graviija on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Man, Farore's Wind was awesome. It was perfect for if you had to save and quit before finishing the dungeon.

I'm not sure I understand. Can it bring you back to where it was when you first used it?

A complaint about OoT that I had forgotten is the save system. If you save in the overworld, you always start in the Kokiri Forest as a kid or the Temple of Time as an adult. What's up with that?

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Graviija wrote: »
    Even more so, in fact.
    Wretched? Aren't we maybe using too strong of a word here? I can't think of anything, in any offical Zelda, that can be described as "wretched".

I was only echoing the other guy to make a point :P
    Dull is much more accurate.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Useless items?

OoT

Majora's Mask

LttP
    At least in the case of MM, a lot of the masks were at least fun to fuck around with, whereas with, say, the Spinner in TP, you literally couldn't use it outside of a few areas.

The only new item from TP that I thought was all that interesting was the double hookshot. They also did cool stuff with the iron boots.

I also really liked the tone of TP up to the third dungeon. You weren't working to save the world or anything, you were just trying to save your friends. I love the cutscene when you get to Kakariko and you see them all talking about you. Once you get the Fused Shadow though those characters fall to the wayside and the plot becomes really boring. I had fun with the ice mansion but other than that the game really lost its footing. Arbiter's Grounds, City in the Sky, and... well dang, I can't even remember what the other dungeon was, weren't bad, but they were just kind of bland.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Useless items?

OoT

Majora's Mask

LttP
    At least in the case of MM, a lot of the masks were at least fun to fuck around with, whereas with, say, the Spinner in TP, you literally couldn't use it outside of a few areas.

The only new item from TP that I thought was all that interesting was the double hookshot. They also did cool stuff with the iron boots.

I also really liked the tone of TP up to the third dungeon. You weren't working to save the world or anything, you were just trying to save your friends. I love the cutscene when you get to Kakariko and you see them all talking about you. Once you get the Fused Shadow though those characters fall to the wayside and the plot becomes really boring. I had fun with the ice mansion but other than that the game really lost its footing. Arbiter's Grounds, City in the Sky, and... well dang, I can't even remember what the other dungeon was, weren't bad, but they were just kind of bland.

Yeah, I guess it's true that every Zelda game has a few worthless items. I suppose what pissed me off in Twilight Princess was that there were a few items (like the spinner and command rod) that you could only use in specific scripted situations. They acted more like keys than items in that their only use was to let you get certain areas that you couldn't before. At least with the water and fire tunics they were random things that you bought in a shop, so it didn't really feel like they should be important. If they were the big item that you went all the way into a dungeon for, then I'd be pissed.

Food on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    TP had the most interesting dungeon design of any Zelda by miles and miles, I thought.
    The dungeons in it felt more like places and less like game levels. So much better than OOT or WW.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    TP had the most interesting dungeon design of any Zelda by miles and miles, I thought.
    The dungeons in it felt more like places and less like game levels. So much better than OOT or WW.

You're right about that. It was cool how some of the dungeons, like the ice mansion, had their own mini-stories and characters. Plus every dungeon looked really good visually. I'd love to see them continue that trend in the next game.

I did feel that the dungeons were really easy compared to Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask but maybe it's because I was so familiar with the Zelda mechanics by the time I played TP.

Food on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Useless items?

OoT

Majora's Mask

LttP

Yeah, I guess it's true that every Zelda game has a few worthless items. I suppose what pissed me off in Twilight Princess was that there were a few items (like the spinner and command rod) that you could only use in specific scripted situations. They acted more like keys than items in that their only use was to let you get certain areas that you couldn't before. At least with the water and fire tunics they were random things that you bought in a shop, so it didn't really feel like they should be important. If they were the big item that you went all the way into a dungeon for, then I'd be pissed.

You bought your fire and water tunics?

I just talked to the goron Link, and unfroze King Zora, they both give them to you.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't understand the hate for TP. I loved the game, the story, the wolf. Oh so much fun turning into a wolf and biting things. I loved dungeon design, I loved everything about it. It wasn't OoT, it was a unique game that was a lot of fun to play.

As for useless items I think they have a purpose. People complain that the gameplay is the same during the entire game, then when they add these "useless items" to switch it up for a short amount of time in the game people complain that they have no use outside of those special times. Make up your fucking mind, do you want to use everything and constantly be bombarded with the same problems over and over again or do you want to see those problems, solve them, then move on. I prefer moving on and experiencing that slight gameplay change which adds a lot to a game for me.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Majora's Mask had the best temples in my opinion, especially that one temple.

You all know the one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ZTyCxbdok&feature=related

Godfather on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stone Tower Temple is one of the greatest game levels ever.

One of my friends quite MM at that level because they said it was "boring" and I was like what

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I quit MM at the water temple that was worse than the one in OoT. Fuck that level. And the ones before it weren't all that remarkable either. I just don't get the love for MM.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)