Options

Ocarina Of Time Ten Years Today

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So the first temple then?

The boss in that temple was a real monster.

But Ikana canyon was horrifying to me as a kid, and still puts me on edge. It was like the Under the Well sequence in OOT, multiplied by ten and throughout that entire area.

Godfather on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It was like the 3rd one, you had the Zora mask for it. It sucked.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Man, Farore's Wind was awesome. It was perfect for if you had to save and quit before finishing the dungeon.

I'm not sure I understand. Can it bring you back to where it was when you first used it?

A complaint about OoT that I had forgotten is the save system. If you save in the overworld, you always start in the Kokiri Forest as a kid or the Temple of Time as an adult. What's up with that?

Yeah, pretty much. Once you cast the spell it makes a warp point in the room you cast it in. You can then use it to teleport back to that room if you die or have to quit the game or whatever.

I always thought it was pretty handy really.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Great Bay temple then.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    I quit MM at the water temple that was worse than the one in OoT. Fuck that level.

Man I really don't get the hate for the water temples in the N64 games.They tend to be kind of hard but they're really not that bad. The only real problem I remember having in OoT was one key that was kind of easy to miss and drove me nuts, and in MM you just have to keep track of the three pipes.

That one key in OoT absolutely ruined me though. It's the one where you go to meet Ruto, and she leads you up to the third floor where there's a water-level-changer, and then you drop back down to the first floor, but on the second floor there's a bombable wall. The first time I got to the water temple I thought that I had opened the doors in the wrong order or something and had gotten myself trapped, so I deleted my save and started over, and when I got stuck in the same place again, it took like 3 hours to find that fucking key.

Really though that's my fault, not the Water Temple's.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You did know GameFaqs existed back then, right?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I will always remember this scene in Majora's Mask, two minutes into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eERSuNo-xew&eurl=http://video.google.ca/videosearch?hl=en&safe=off&q=Ikana+canyon&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=video_res

The Song of Healing was one of the best Zelda pieces ever.

Godfather on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I always felt that Shadow of the Colossus felt like a good companion piece to OoT.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's weird, I always felt like it was a good companion piece to Ico. :D

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    That's weird, I always felt like it was a good companion piece to Ico. :D

Well obviously.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    well obviously YOUR FACE

On a more topical note, Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game, hands down. It's definitely the prettiest one.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So what was your favorite temple in Ocarina?

Forest Temple for me. That entire area was perfect; the mood, the atmosphere, the boss fight, the music.

Oh God the music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=322V5rD6ko4

It's calming but disturbing at the same time.

The Spirit Temple was a close second, but it was too damn short! Or rather, it felt too short because it was so goddamn awesome.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I liked the inside of the fish quite a bit. I especially hated the fire dungeon, and quit shortly after I beat it.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's got to be the Forest Temple. I liked that the theme wasn't completely overwhelming (like it kind of was in the Fire/Water/Shadow Temples). It was a really solid dungeon with that awesome, awesome music.

Graviija on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I could never really get into MM, it wasn't so much the design of the temples, it just felt weird having all your accomplishments reset at the end of the day. It made it all seem kind of pointless. I did eventually beat it, but I didn't like it nearly as much as OOT.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TheStig wrote: »
    I could never really get into MM, it wasn't so much the design of the temples, it just felt weird having all your accomplishments reset at the end of the day. It made it all seem kind of pointless. I did eventually beat it, but I didn't like it nearly as much as OOT.

This is why the correct way to play the game is to beat the temples, then beat every boss and do every sidequest in one three day cycle, getting to Majora just as the clock is winding down.

Also I'm pretty sure it's technically possible to beat the game with only the one mandatory reset at the beginning.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Part of the reason why I liked Ocarina so much is because of the atmosphere. For some reason the graphical limitations actually added to that immersion. Everything was simpler; textures, color choices, audio, you name it. But this really drew you into it's world, and more than once did I forget that I was playing a game and felt like I was living it.

You kinda got the same effects in the Wind Waker, but in Twilight Princess is was completely lost. That wasn't the developer's fault mind you, it was simply the changing of the times.

Godfather on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Forest Temple for me. That entire area was perfect; the mood, the atmosphere, the boss fight, the music.

Oh God the music

There's a really long nature trail out behind a school near my house. I would walk on that trail after a rainstorm and hear this theme in my head. So atmospheric.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I can't argue with the Forest Temple as the best overall, but the Spirit Temple will always have a special, squishy place in my since-hardened gamer heart. Twin Rova was my favorite fight by far, too.

Music: (wait until the mourning trill of those pipes kicks in)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-jT6T59rYw

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Spirit Temple = best in the game. I loved every second of it including the Twinrova fight, and the music only just falls short of the Forest Temple's.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I think everyone did a 3 heart run.

I don't ever remember any required hearts

I did it. When I got my Japanese Master Quest in the mail, I decided to try and make it a bit harder.

That wasn't enough.

RockinX on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TheStig wrote: »

This is why the correct way to play the game is to beat the temples, then beat every boss and do every sidequest in one three day cycle, getting to Majora just as the clock is winding down.

Also I'm pretty sure it's technically possible to beat the game with only the one mandatory reset at the beginning.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's possible, but it's definitely no fun. It's a bunch of running backwards, exploits, and farming Rupees in the first 3 days. For example, I know you farm a ton of Rupees in the first 3-day cycle so that you have enough to do all the mandatory stuff later. Then you play through the first dungeon until you get the bow, then use that to get the Goron Mask, and play through that to get the Fire Arrows. The main complication is that you need the Song of Storms, so you have to be able to get into the Graveyard the night of the First Day. That and you can use the Goron Mask in the first dungeon to skip a bunch of rooms.

I thought about trying it once, but it takes a ton of practice which I didn't feel like bothering with. If I ever did it, I'd at least have the decency to record it ala Let's Play Zelda. In fact, I'll bet there's a recording of it done on Google Video or Youtube already.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    the forest temple music still gives me goose bumps.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Spirit Temple is easily my favourite, but the Fire Temple was awesome also. Years later I listened to the Muslim chant that had been taken out of the European version, and wished they'd kept it in :(

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I only liked the back half of the Fire Temple. Once I figured out that all keys come from freeing the gorons, it wasn't hard to spot those jail-cell doors from the distance.

Once you got the hammer, and dropped that pillar down about 5 stories, that was pretty awesome.

Also, the Megaton hammer was my new sword, since it did twice as much damage, and since the jumping slice was 2x dmg as well, I was hitting 4 times as hard. :P

This was only when I was too lazy to get the biggoron sowrd.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The Spirit Temple = best in the game. I loved every second of it including the Twinrova fight, and the music only just falls short of the Forest Temple's.

Twinrova was arguably the best boss fight in the entire game, running neck-in-neck with Phantom Gannon and Bongo Bongo.

For Majora's Mask it was Goht and Twinmold.

Man Twinmold...

EDIT: Best music in Ocarina (in my opinion mind you) was this little number:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PGdcUDwhQs&feature=related

Godfather on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The title screen music always slays my heart strings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-jQuZmQYE

Song of Storms is my favorite, though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43IPAGw01IY

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I love how the Song of Storms was really integrated into Majora's Mask.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I just wish they'd release it on the VC so I could actually play MM. :|

Song of Storms for Brawl was great, too. I just wish all the songs in brawl weren't so ridiculously short. They need to take every song in that game, most especially the Ocarina Medley, and extend them all quite a bit.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think Majora's Mask is too damn big to put on the Virtual Console. You had to use that expansion pack to play it, remember?

The poor girl can't take it.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28YSSkCoueI

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I made a 76 minute long repeating version of the Song of Storms. My love for that song knows no bounds.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited November 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28YSSkCoueI

YES. THIS.

I TOLD THIS TO PEOPLE YEARS AGO. NONE BELIEVED ME.

I STAND BEFORE YOU VINDICATED. DO YOU HEAR ME??????

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wait, are you telling me that they took a song from Super Mario Bros. 3 and stuck it in Ocarina?

Jesus.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I don't know if 6 notes constitutes a song.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I made a 76 minute long repeating version of the Song of Storms. My love for that song knows no bounds.

It is so fucking fantastic.

Go around! Go around!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt

did you just do to my brain

barrlgghgh

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I did not know that people actually didn't know about that!

Do... do we know about

this?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt

did you just do to my brain

barrlgghgh

For some reason, your sig meshed perfectly with "barrlgghgh".

That one I am familiar with, Speed.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian

• Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    He should have done a barrel roll

Hur hur.
    Sorry. Brawl's G-Valley by way of penance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bwHlDD9Nc&feature=related

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.