Options

Ocarina Of Time Ten Years Today

145791015

Posts

  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    /easyjoke

    Godfather on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I did not know that people actually didn't know about that!

    Do... do we know about

    this?

    I'd seen that years prior... I... I always thought it was some stupid photoshop YTMND nonsense.

    Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    I did not know that people actually didn't know about that!

    Do... do we know about

    this?

    I'd seen that years prior... I... I always thought it was some stupid photoshop YTMND nonsense.

    Nope, it's in the game.

    I think a few years back Miyamoto or the other Zelda guy made some mention about how OoT still had one more secret in it, and everyone freaked out and started looking for the Triforce. Instead they found this.

    Speed Racer on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Listen and be consumed by heart-wrenching remembrance!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bwHlDD9Nc&feature=related

    Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    I think Majora's Mask is too damn big to put on the Virtual Console. You had to use that expansion pack to play it, remember?

    The poor girl can't take it.

    What? Another 4MB of RAM? The Wii has 88MB iirc, I'm sure another 4 won't break the emulator.

    Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

    Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Falstaff wrote: »
    Listen and be consumed by heart-wrenching remembrance!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bwHlDD9Nc&feature=related

    Check the post second from the top.

    Godfather on
  • Options
    GreyFoxGreyFox Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I remember renting OoT a few times and thinking it was this incredible and magical thing. The music and sound really stuck to me, along with all of the crazy enemies and characters...I eventually bought it, of course, and finally got further than Jabu-Jabu's Belly.

    Even with such "jaggy" or polygonal graphics, it had so much charm and wonder to it, and I think the game still has some of that wonder for me to this day.

    GreyFox on
    %20Greyfoxtwin.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You know, it's funny, but in a way I think OoT actually benefited from being rushed a little. It meant that there was stuff in it that wasn't fully explained, like the Gossip Stones, which added a larger sense of scope and realness to the game.

    Speed Racer on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kor wrote: »
    I did not know that people actually didn't know about that!

    Do... do we know about

    this?

    I'd seen that years prior... I... I always thought it was some stupid photoshop YTMND nonsense.

    Nope, it's in the game.

    I think a few years back Miyamoto or the other Zelda guy made some mention about how OoT still had one more secret in it, and everyone freaked out and started looking for the Triforce. Instead they found this.

    I can't beleive I never heard of that. I played this game a lot. Must be hard to find if it took so much time for people to find it.

    Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Kor wrote: »
    I did not know that people actually didn't know about that!

    Do... do we know about

    this?

    I'd seen that years prior... I... I always thought it was some stupid photoshop YTMND nonsense.

    Nope, it's in the game.

    I think a few years back Miyamoto or the other Zelda guy made some mention about how OoT still had one more secret in it, and everyone freaked out and started looking for the Triforce. Instead they found this.

    I can't beleive I never heard of that. I played this game a lot. Must be hard to find if it took so much time for people to find it.
    If I remember right, the way it eventually got discovered was when someone was looking through the game's sound effects with a gameshark or something and discovered a laser beam sound effect.

    Speed Racer on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    GreyFox wrote: »
    I remember renting OoT a few times and thinking it was this incredible and magical thing. The music and sound really stuck to me, along with all of the crazy enemies and characters...I eventually bought it, of course, and finally got further than Jabu-Jabu's Belly.

    Even with such "jaggy" or polygonal graphics, it had so much charm and wonder to it, and I think the game still has some of that wonder for me to this day.

    This.

    Part of the reason why I love this game so damn much is the actual look of the game. It's very simple, but conveys the atmosphere far better than most game do today. Simpler really is better.

    The forest temple can be summed up in one word: Green.

    Godfather on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    GreyFox wrote: »
    I remember renting OoT a few times and thinking it was this incredible and magical thing. The music and sound really stuck to me, along with all of the crazy enemies and characters...I eventually bought it, of course, and finally got further than Jabu-Jabu's Belly.

    Even with such "jaggy" or polygonal graphics, it had so much charm and wonder to it, and I think the game still has some of that wonder for me to this day.

    This.

    Part of the reason why I love this game so damn much is the actual look of the game. It's very simple, but conveys the atmosphere far better than most game do today. Simpler really is better.

    The forest temple can be summed up in one word: Green.

    Actually my mind usually snaps to that room with the checkerboard floor.

    Speed Racer on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    I think Majora's Mask is too damn big to put on the Virtual Console. You had to use that expansion pack to play it, remember?

    The poor girl can't take it.

    They already emulated it on the GameCube. As said before, the expansion pak only added another 4MB of RAM on top of the existing 4MB of RAM.

    If they ever bring it to VC, they need to give it 3 save slots though.

    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    I think Majora's Mask is too damn big to put on the Virtual Console. You had to use that expansion pack to play it, remember?

    The poor girl can't take it.

    They already emulated it on the GameCube. As said before, the expansion pak only added another 4MB of RAM on top of the existing 4MB of RAM.

    If they ever bring it to VC, they need to give it 3 save slots though.

    I doubt they'll add another slot, but you could backup your save in an SD card and start a new one on the save file located in your Wii.

    RockinX on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It couldn't have come at a better time for me. Except for the Water Temple, a sentiment which I'm sure is echoed by many. Fuck that place.

    When I played through OoT my little brothers had fun watching, but I went to a summer camp when I reached the Water Temple and when I got back my brothers had just finished playing through the Water Temple on my save file. I finished the game without ever experiencing the Water Temple and I have no regrets.

    kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I always preferred Majora's Mask.

    The world was just that much more dense the characters all had little stories that you could change (as you could with the world) and the Dungeons (despite being only four of them) were so much larger and complex.

    People complained about the time limit, but it was never a hassle, you could slow down and speed at time as you choose.

    Blake T on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    RockinX wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    I think Majora's Mask is too damn big to put on the Virtual Console. You had to use that expansion pack to play it, remember?

    The poor girl can't take it.

    They already emulated it on the GameCube. As said before, the expansion pak only added another 4MB of RAM on top of the existing 4MB of RAM.

    If they ever bring it to VC, they need to give it 3 save slots though.

    I doubt they'll add another slot, but you could backup your save in an SD card and start a new one on the save file located in your Wii.

    The only reason they dropped it to 2 for the US version was because they added the Owl Save feature. And since saving-on-cart was extra money..

    They could simply renable the 3rd slot for VC.

    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How could the Japanese stand it without the owl saves? That would have been downright painful.

    ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think the fact this is 10 years old now is a good enough reason for me to finally play through it again. I've been meaning to for a while. Followed by a player's guide-less Majora's Mask run. Cuz I've never done it without.

    GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    MythosMythos Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    I just noticed that this game is on the virtual console...looks like I am going to have to finally pick up a wii.

    Honestly to *ME* OoT is one of the best games every made.

    Mythos on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Should I replay OoT? I never played Majora's Mask or any of that other silly stuff but up until OoT I played every Zelda and loved it.

    Has it aged well?

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As long as you don't mind N64 era graphics, yes.

    Also play Majora's Mask.

    Speed Racer on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How could the Japanese stand it without the owl saves? That would have been downright painful.

    WHAT




    Without those statues Majora's Mask would have been terrible. Just godawful.

    Godfather on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    EDIT: Best music in Ocarina (in my opinion mind you) was this little number:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PGdcUDwhQs&feature=related

    YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES

    Song of Storms is up there as well, but this! Oh man.

    I wanted to do an episode of my LP of montages set entirely to this. (It would've been just as good as me talking, heh.)

    If you can find an orchestrated version of this (it's out there) it is so awesome.

    I also really strongly associate Saria's Song with this game, if for no other reason than that's all your hear for, you know, the entire first portion.

    ASimPerson on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I remember getting Ocarina of Time about a year or two after it was released. I don't have my original N64 cartridge anymore unfortunately, but I do have the Gamecube version which is good enough. Even today, it's still my most favorite game ever. The Forest Temple was my favorite dungeon.

    I'll also add that Majora's Mask is really good as well (and I still have my N64 cartridge of it!), although it's been years since I've played it. Hopefully they'll release it on the VC sometime soon so I can play through it again.

    CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How could the Japanese stand it without the owl saves? That would have been downright painful.

    I beat MM multiple times without using the save and quit of the owl statues, because I didn't really understand exactly what it did. I will agree that is a very useful feature, though.

    Peewi on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Kor wrote: »
    I did not know that people actually didn't know about that!

    Do... do we know about

    this?

    I'd seen that years prior... I... I always thought it was some stupid photoshop YTMND nonsense.

    Nope, it's in the game.

    I think a few years back Miyamoto or the other Zelda guy made some mention about how OoT still had one more secret in it, and everyone freaked out and started looking for the Triforce. Instead they found this.

    I can't beleive I never heard of that. I played this game a lot. Must be hard to find if it took so much time for people to find it.
    If I remember right, the way it eventually got discovered was when someone was looking through the game's sound effects with a gameshark or something and discovered a laser beam sound effect.

    Holy crapple, I've never even HEARD of that easter egg until now. Ridiculous.

    Henroid on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MH79 wrote: »
    I think the fact this is 10 years old now is a good enough reason for me to finally play through it again. I've been meaning to for a while. Followed by a player's guide-less Majora's Mask run. Cuz I've never done it without.

    This thread has reminded me to finish my "no cutscene" run.

    So even if you go without the guide this time, won't you still remember how to get through from last time? Now the player's guide is your mind.


    Also, its criminal that Majora's Mask isn't on VC. I have the Collector's Edition, but I would gladly pay for MM again if the VC version didn't have the bugs.

    Dirty on
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lon Lon Ranch is one of my favorite pieces of music in any Zelda game, or any game for that matter.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l--fvpyyNH4

    This version brings a tear to my eye, just because of how beautiful it is.

    BigBear on
  • Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You know, the funny thing is, I consider Ocarina of Time to be inferior to Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker (yes, I can and do say that with a straight face)- but I still think that the Water Temple is the best dungeon that there ever was, closely followed by that desert dungeon in MM. I liked the complex puzzles, the constant need to know what the fuck you were doing, the adaption to water, the incredible atmosphere and that haunting music, the hookshot, that shadow link battle- okay, yeah, the boss was kinda lame, but oh well. Twilight Princess recreated that feeling pretty well, although there were other issues.

    Wingo on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wingo the desert dungeon you're talking about is the Stone Tower Temple, arguably the best temple in the entire Zelda series.

    Godfather on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll never forget the first time I beat the Great Bay Temple. The dungeon crawl took so long that by the time I got to the boss I had about give or take 5 minutes left until the moon struck. They seemed like the longest 5 minutes in my life. That bitch just kept flying around and attacking the platform. The school of piranhas certainly didn't help. I went for it like my life depended on it. Delivering the final blow never felt so sweet.

    The Water Temple by comparison was just confusing.

    Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    MH79 wrote: »
    I think the fact this is 10 years old now is a good enough reason for me to finally play through it again. I've been meaning to for a while. Followed by a player's guide-less Majora's Mask run. Cuz I've never done it without.

    This thread has reminded me to finish my "no cutscene" run.

    So even if you go without the guide this time, won't you still remember how to get through from last time? Now the player's guide is your mind.

    I probably can. The only part I'd be iffy on is the well in Ikana Canyon. I'd use the guide to figure out exactly what I needed to not get lost or sidetracked through other doors. And find the stray fairies.

    GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm firmly in the best-game-ever camp when it comes to OoT. Yes, if TP had launched at the same time there would have been no question which was better. But I don't believe there's any other game that simultaneously introduced so many new ideas, large and small, and still managed to deliver such a polished experience. How many new ideas did TP introduce?

    I hope that the next Zelda takes WiiMotion+ and creates something as worthy of emulating as OoT did with 3D adventure.

    Incidentally, the ZREO songs are really making me wish that TP had been orchestrated.

    zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    zakkiel wrote: »
    I'm firmly in the best-game-ever camp when it comes to OoT. Yes, if TP had launched at the same time there would have been no question which was better. But I don't believe there's any other game that simultaneously introduced so many new ideas, large and small, and still managed to deliver such a polished experience. How many new ideas did TP introduce?

    I hope that the next Zelda takes WiiMotion+ and creates something as worthy of emulating as OoT did with 3D adventure.

    Incidentally, the ZREO songs are really making me wish that TP had been orchestrated.

    Heh, I still remember an interview with a developer in Arcade magazine a few years ago, about their reaction to Ocarina when it first came out (paraphrased because my Arcade magazines are, unfortunately, long gone):

    "There were about four of us at first, but as the rumour spread that we were playing it got around, more people arrived. Eventually there were twenty people in the same room, huddled around the N64, eyes never leaving the television. Some had notebooks in their hands, some had no reaction other than to stare at the screen, their eyes wide, while others just stood there and shook their heads, mouths open.

    The player would get to a section such as, Gerudo's Fortress, and the game would immediately change to something more like Metal Gear Solid. More heads shook, more mouths dropped, and all we could think of was, 'Oh, you bastards....'"

    Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

    Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I had a really difficult time with the boss from the MM Water Temple the first time, and I don't know why. I'm pretty sure it killed me at least 3-4 times, which was easily more than anything else in that game. I think I finally beat it by giving up trying to shoot arrows at him from the platform and I just fought him face to face underwater, which was actually pretty awesome.

    And then for some reason I had easy times with some of the really hard bosses... Twinrova took 2 tries, Phantom Ganon took around 5. Majora's Mask only took 1 try, but Odwalla took 3.

    Terrendos on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I had a really difficult time with the boss from the MM Water Temple the first time, and I don't know why. I'm pretty sure it killed me at least 3-4 times, which was easily more than anything else in that game. I think I finally beat it by giving up trying to shoot arrows at him from the platform and I just fought him face to face underwater, which was actually pretty awesome.

    And then for some reason I had easy times with some of the really hard bosses... Twinrova took 2 tries, Phantom Ganon took around 5. Majora's Mask only took 1 try, but Odwalla took 3.

    Yeah, going into the water and using the electrical shield thing is the easiest way to beat Gyorg.

    Peewi on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well done guys. I've just bought a copy of Majora's Mask off of ebay.

    Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited November 2008
    Opium on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Best AMV ever? I think so.

    Seriously, that would make anyone want to play that game.

    Godfather on
Sign In or Register to comment.