As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anime Mecha/Giant robot discussion.

MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Here's something I'm wondering. I love giant robot anime, but why? What is it that makes this genre so popular? What is it that draws people to it?

Also, what are you guys favorite Giant robot series? Real or super.

One of my current favorite's is the MazinKaiser OVA's. Great fun series! With Kouji, Sayaka, and, of course, the real hero of the entire Mazinger saga...Boss Borot. :lol:

Also i'm looking forward to the english release of Gaogaigar (Who knows when it'll be though, now i'm hearing early December).

Matthew on

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Macross Plus is still my favorite anime in general.

The fact that it has badass robots is a bonus.

That said, I get the feeling we could just merge this with the Gundam thread.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, probably belongs with either the Gundam thread (which was off in Super Robot Wars land for awhile anyway) or the greater anime thread.

And I only approve of mecha series if A.) They give me a craving for Pizza Hut, or B.) They are heavily HEAVILY sexualized, preferably with either all the mecha in high heels or the pilots required to sit in each other's laps in order to fly their machines.

You probably think I'm joking too.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh no, no, I believe you.

Furu on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    And I only approve of mecha series if A.) They give me a craving for Pizza Hut, or B.) They are heavily HEAVILY sexualized, preferably with either all the mecha in high heels or the pilots required to sit in each other's laps in order to fly their machines.

You probably think I'm joking too.
    Nah, Vandread (Which I loved) and Dual (which never really took hold).

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I used to like giant, piloted robots. Gundam Wing and Evangelion killed that for me.

Now I just like Transformers

august on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    august wrote:
    I used to like giant, piloted robots. Gundam Wing and Evangelion killed that for me.

Eva was one of those transformative shows. After it, mecha and mindfuck have kind of gone hand in hand... as opposed to all the super robot shows that came before it. Like it or hate it, it pretty much changed the entire mecha genre. Annnnnnnd that's why I watch very few mecha shows...

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    There are quite a few super robot shows still, Big O, Goddanar, GaoGaiGar...

I'd just kill for a half-decent Gundam show.

Furu on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    august wrote:

Eva was one of those transformative shows. After it, mecha and mindfuck have kind of gone hand in hand... as opposed to all the super robot shows that came before it. Like it or hate it, it pretty much changed the entire mecha genre. Annnnnnnd that's why I watch very few mecha shows...

Here is the plot for Evangelion:

Cool robots fail to save the world. Fairly attractive anime females all act annoying, destroying whatever physical appeal they may have. Hideaki Anno hates you and made an anime about it.

Maybe the Eva Relaunch will bring in the cool that should have been there.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I would like to see a good Gundam series to. However, it seems that the crossover success of Gundam Wing has influenced the writers at Sunshine. Wing was the first Gundam series that was not really Shonen oriented, and it was probably the biggest success the Gundam series had since it's beginning. The follow ups to it had more in common with pre-wing series, and had less success.

Seed, and Seed:Destiny where both designed to follow up on Wing's success, by, essentially, taking everything that drew in Shojo fans to Wing, and adding a few things from the old series (the cynic in me says they did it just to make it look like they weren't abandoning the old series ways). Wing and EVA have changed the face of popular mecha, and there will probably be plenty of shows aping them in the future.

Still, I hold out some hope. The new SRW:OG series looks pretty good, and there's shows Like Gaogiagar, as proof that the older ways of doing mecah are still viable.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    august wrote:

Here is the plot for Evangelion:

Cool robots fail to save the world. Fairly attractive anime females all act annoying, destroying whatever physical appeal they may have. Hideaki Anno hates you and made an anime about it.

Maybe the Eva Relaunch will bring in the cool that should have been there.

The more I hear of the Eva relaunch, the more it sounds like an adaptation of Angelic Days/Girlfriend of Steel 2, which I really have no problem with. A more Super Robot-style setting will do the show good.

Furu on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    Errrrr.... shojo = virgin. Shoujo = girl. :P

The difference is important.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Matthew wrote:
    I would like to see a good Gundam series to. However, it seems that the crossover success of Gundam Wing has influenced the writers at Sunshine. Wing was the first Gundam series that was not really Shonen oriented, and it was probably the biggest success the Gundam series had since it's beginning. The follow ups to it had more in common with pre-wing series, and had less success.

Seed, and Seed:Destiny where both designed to follow up on Wing's success, by, essentially, taking everything that drew in Shojo fans to Wing, and adding a few things from the old series (the cynic in me says they did it just to make it look like they weren't abandoning the old series ways). Wing and EVA have changed the face of popular mecha, and there will probably be plenty of shows aping them in the future.

Still, I hold out some hope. The new SRW:OG series looks pretty good, and there's shows Like Gaogiagar, as proof that the older ways of doing mecah are still viable.

Actually, the show started to bring in a big Shojo audience around ZZ and G Gundam, Wing just shows it off better. I was gonna write a huge bit about each show in the other thread (still working on it, actually) but I disagree with some of what you say about SEED. SEED does follow the entire Gundam formula, to some degree of success. It is a relaunch of sorts, not meant for long term fans who are sick of the same old, which SEED does very well. SEED has everything. Aces, Newtypes, Supernewtypes, 5 Gundams, 5 emo pilots perfectly formulated to appeal to a certain fan, a crazy guy in a mask, some deaths, and lots of really good Opening and Ending songs. It's also really, really shiny. See, the tradeoff for any Gundam shows visuals is the fact that given the oppretunity, they can and will reuse the same footage over and over.

SEED just isn't for anyone expecting anything new.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Errrrr.... shojo = virgin. Shoujo = girl. :P

The difference is important.

Sorry, My apologies.

As for Seed, well, that was just my opinion. I understand not everyone agrees with it, but I still feel that wing and EVA have changed things alot. I doubt anyone would disagree with this.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    SEED is so vastly different in quality and content from the original shows that it is brand new in the sense that it is chock full of shit.

SEED is Bandai taking control, the one thing Tomino never wanted to happen, and making it into a mass market show-by-comittee. It never does anything interesting or controversial, it's a poor mimic of everything that's come before.

So in a sense, I do agree with you.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    SEED is so vastly different in quality and content from the original shows that it is brand new in the sense that it is chock full of shit.

SEED is Bandai taking control, the one thing Tomino never wanted to happen, and making it into a mass market show-by-comittee. It never does anything interesting or controversial, it's a poor mimic of everything that's come before.

The first opening has bewbs though, that is different. The funny thing is, I used to think that exactly about the show. Then I saw the dub, and it all sort of clicked. It is a formulated show, but it is very well put together.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Robotech was my first introduction to the world of anime/mecha. I read the comics/books, bought the anime, wrote my own god dam GURPS set, and generally drove everyone crazy with it. Then I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion all in one sitting with my friedns. I wish I could unremember it so I could watch it again for the first time. I watched Seed for awhile, but... its just so lame.

edit: Apprently I meant to say SEED 'destiny'.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Macross Plus is still my favorite anime in general.

The fact that it has badass robots is a bonus.

That said, I get the feeling we could just merge this with the Gundam thread.
    hi5. Macross Plus is one of my favorite animes.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:

[spoiler:07140bf9e6]Which explains why all the major character deaths happen in the last 2 episodes. If Tomino was in charge, Flay and Mu would have been dead looong before.[/spoiler:07140bf9e6]

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Furu wrote:

[spoiler:4c03e46c14]Which explains why all the major character deaths happen in the last 2 episodes. If Tomino was in charge, Flay and Mu would have been dead looong before.[/spoiler:4c03e46c14]

[spoiler:4c03e46c14]Characters were supposed to die a lot sooner.

Bandai made them change that, because they were popular.

Assholes.[/spoiler:4c03e46c14]

And don't make me get started on that Mwu bullshit. I hate that SEED and SEED D pretend to have physics...but only when it's convienent to make the fans think the show is deeper than it is.

Furu on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    Are you serious? Are we talking about the same company here? This is Sunrise. They aren't exactly known for making edgy shows. In fact, it's more accurate to say that they are known for having some of the most unkillable characters around. Hell, if a character 'dies' in a Sunrise series, you can count on one hand the number of epiosdes until they show up again, likely in an opera mask. Bandai has nothing to do with anything here.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Which is why it's probably safer to blame this regretable trend on Tomino's absense, since when he was in charge, people got blown up for good.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Are you serious? Are we talking about the same company here? This is Sunrise. They aren't exactly known for making edgy shows. In fact, it's more accurate to say that they are known for having some of the most unkillable characters around. Hell, if a character 'dies' in a Sunrise series, you can count on one hand the number of epiosdes until they show up again, likely in an opera mask. Bandai has nothing to do with anything here.

While Tomino was in charge and hell, even during the Alternate Universe shows during the 90's, Sunrise mostly let the directors do whatever they want with Gundam shows.

And now Bandai is cracking down via Sunrise because they've got a director who is essentially a puppet that gives them ideas they can modify for the masses and spew back to the studio.

EDIT: In hindsight, that's a little too mean to Fukuda. I really did like GEAR Fighter Dendoh. I just wish he could make shows like that again.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Which is why it's probably safer to blame this regretable trend on Tomino's absense, since when he was in charge, people got blown up for good.

[spoiler:6e7cc7ae7b] I did find it pretty funny when they decide to bring back the characters who obviously should have died (Kira and Mwu) and yet actually left La Cruset dead. [/spoiler:6e7cc7ae7b]

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    GEKIGENGAR PUNCH!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:

[spoiler:f8ae7fa3e9] I did find it pretty funny when they decide to bring back the characters who obviously should have died (Kira and Mwu) and yet actually left La Cruset dead. [/spoiler:f8ae7fa3e9]

[spoiler:f8ae7fa3e9]Especially since La Cruset, being all clonified, would by most anime logic be most likely to return. Plus, he's the series Char Clone, though a piss poor one.[/spoiler:f8ae7fa3e9]

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

[spoiler:91ecb10c19] I did find it pretty funny when they decide to bring back the characters who obviously should have died (Kira and Mwu) and yet actually left La Cruset dead. [/spoiler:91ecb10c19]

[spoiler:91ecb10c19]Especially since La Cruset, being all clonified, would by most anime logic be most likely to return. Plus, he's the series Char Clone, though a piss poor one.[/spoiler:91ecb10c19]

[spoiler:91ecb10c19]Pshaw. He's a great Char clone. Blond hair, working for the "bad" guys, and wears a mask. A perfect Char clone, if Char was a buwahahaha insane villian clone thing [/spoiler:91ecb10c19]

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Meh, I haven't watched many mech shows really, never watched any of the gundam shows.

But one anime show i loved, and had mechs in it, was fullmetal panic. Sure it wasn't all about the mechs only, but they were the main theme, so I guess you call it a mech anime.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

[spoiler:bd6de4bee3] I did find it pretty funny when they decide to bring back the characters who obviously should have died (Kira and Mwu) and yet actually left La Cruset dead. [/spoiler:bd6de4bee3]

[spoiler:bd6de4bee3]Especially since La Cruset, being all clonified, would by most anime logic be most likely to return. Plus, he's the series Char Clone, though a piss poor one.[/spoiler:bd6de4bee3]

[spoiler:bd6de4bee3]Pshaw. He's a great Char clone. Blond hair, working for the "bad" guys, and wears a mask. A perfect Char clone, if Char was a buwahahaha insane villian clone thing [/spoiler:bd6de4bee3]

[spoiler:bd6de4bee3]And if Char had a really, really, really lame name.[/spoiler:bd6de4bee3]

Can I get some hate here for the naming in SEED? It's really awful. I could never bring myself to root for a character named "Mu".

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I just started watching Eureka Seven, and I'm enjoying it. Only two episodes in, but it's a pretty neat anime.

Kriz on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Zampano wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

[spoiler:8817234c14] I did find it pretty funny when they decide to bring back the characters who obviously should have died (Kira and Mwu) and yet actually left La Cruset dead. [/spoiler:8817234c14]

[spoiler:8817234c14]Especially since La Cruset, being all clonified, would by most anime logic be most likely to return. Plus, he's the series Char Clone, though a piss poor one.[/spoiler:8817234c14]

[spoiler:8817234c14]Pshaw. He's a great Char clone. Blond hair, working for the "bad" guys, and wears a mask. A perfect Char clone, if Char was a buwahahaha insane villian clone thing [/spoiler:8817234c14]

[spoiler:8817234c14]And if Char had a really, really, really lame name.[/spoiler:8817234c14]

Can I get some hate here for the naming in SEED? It's really awful. I could never bring myself to root for a character named "Mu".

Mwu is easily the best part of the entire show. He makes the Impossible Possible. Now having the villian named after a famous line of cookware... yeah, you may have a point there. The names get even sillier in DESTINY.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Zampano wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

[spoiler:45448028fb] I did find it pretty funny when they decide to bring back the characters who obviously should have died (Kira and Mwu) and yet actually left La Cruset dead. [/spoiler:45448028fb]

[spoiler:45448028fb]Especially since La Cruset, being all clonified, would by most anime logic be most likely to return. Plus, he's the series Char Clone, though a piss poor one.[/spoiler:45448028fb]

[spoiler:45448028fb]Pshaw. He's a great Char clone. Blond hair, working for the "bad" guys, and wears a mask. A perfect Char clone, if Char was a buwahahaha insane villian clone thing [/spoiler:45448028fb]

[spoiler:45448028fb]And if Char had a really, really, really lame name.[/spoiler:45448028fb]

[spoiler:45448028fb]Mwu was probably the character I liked most on the entire show and pretty much the only who if he died I would have actually cared about. And then he did die.[/spoiler:45448028fb]

La Cruset's VA in the dub was fantastic, though he doesn't really shine until towards the end.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Kelor wrote:
    Zampano wrote:
    Zampano wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

[spoiler:bf32721f50] I did find it pretty funny when they decide to bring back the characters who obviously should have died (Kira and Mwu) and yet actually left La Cruset dead. [/spoiler:bf32721f50]

[spoiler:bf32721f50]Especially since La Cruset, being all clonified, would by most anime logic be most likely to return. Plus, he's the series Char Clone, though a piss poor one.[/spoiler:bf32721f50]

[spoiler:bf32721f50]Pshaw. He's a great Char clone. Blond hair, working for the "bad" guys, and wears a mask. A perfect Char clone, if Char was a buwahahaha insane villian clone thing [/spoiler:bf32721f50]

[spoiler:bf32721f50]And if Char had a really, really, really lame name.[/spoiler:bf32721f50]

[spoiler:bf32721f50]Mwu was probably the character I liked most on the entire show and pretty much the only who if he died I would have actually cared about. And then he did die.[/spoiler:bf32721f50]

La Cruset's VA in the dub was fantastic, though he doesn't really shine until towards the end.

SUPER DUPER MEGA REAL SPOILER (only read if you have no intention of ever watching Gundam SEED DESTINY

[realspoiler:bf32721f50]Mwu doesn't die, he's just picked up by a supersecret group calling all the shots and mind wiped. Of course he didn't die, he makes the Impossible Possible[/realspoiler:bf32721f50]

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    That's right!

[spoiler:dfbe449bb0]Mwu survived his mobile suit explode after being hit by a positronic laser beam and being exposed to hard vacuum for an extended period of time.

And it was Bandai mandated.

Forever killed any affection I had for the series.[/spoiler:dfbe449bb0]

Also, worst name? Rey Za Barrel.

Furu on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    That's right!

[spoiler:094a735dd3]Mwu survived his mobile suit explode after being hit by a positronic laser beam and being exposed to hard vacuum for an extended period of time.

Forever killed any affection I had for the series.[/spoiler:094a735dd3]

Did...Did he shoot any type of laser....?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    Furu wrote:
    That's right!

[spoiler:fc4fa63c8b]Mwu survived his mobile suit explode after being hit by a positronic laser beam and being exposed to hard vacuum for an extended period of time.

Forever killed any affection I had for the series.[/spoiler:fc4fa63c8b]

Did...Did he shoot any type of laser....?

He was a [spoiler:fc4fa63c8b]La Cruset clone[/spoiler:fc4fa63c8b]

Furu on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

While Tomino was in charge and hell, even during the Alternate Universe shows during the 90's, Sunrise mostly let the directors do whatever they want with Gundam shows.

And now Bandai is cracking down via Sunrise because they've got a director who is essentially a puppet that gives them ideas they can modify for the masses and spew back to the studio.

EDIT: In hindsight, that's a little too mean to Fukuda. I really did like GEAR Fighter Dendoh. I just wish he could make shows like that again.

That's the thing. Fukuda is a Super Robot director, he just doesn't have the right mindset or ideas in his head to do a proper Gundam show. He was making allusions to Combattler V in an interview, for Christ's sakes.

Doesn't help that his wife played a huge rule in majorly fucking up Destiny's plot.
    Furu wrote:
    That's right!

[spoiler:987c47631a]Mwu survived his mobile suit explode after being hit by a positronic laser beam and being exposed to hard vacuum for an extended period of time.

Forever killed any affection I had for the series.[/spoiler:987c47631a]

[spoiler:987c47631a]Mwu survived because he had a towel handy.[/spoiler:987c47631a]

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Code Geass is a good show: it entertains me while feeding my brain with subliminal hunger for pizza.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Furu wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

That's the thing. Fukuda is a Super Robot director, he just doesn't have the right mindset or ideas in his head to do a proper Gundam show. He was making allusions to Combattler V in an interview, for Christ's sakes.

Doesn't help that his wife played a huge rule in majorly fucking up Destiny's plot.
    Furu wrote:
    That's right!

[spoiler:52bbeafe2f]Mwu survived his mobile suit explode after being hit by a positronic laser beam and being exposed to hard vacuum for an extended period of time.

Forever killed any affection I had for the series.[/spoiler:52bbeafe2f]

[spoiler:52bbeafe2f]Mwu survived because he had a towel handy.[/spoiler:52bbeafe2f]

What did his wife do?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Turned the show into a poorly written Kira/Athrun slashfiction and repeatedly fucked characters over because she disliked the voice actors.

She also turned in scripts late on a pretty regular basis.

Furu on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    In my honest opinion, few modern mecha anime creators can match up to the early works of Yoshiyuki Tomino. His characters have a vivid display of emotions and personalities that are rarely seen in most modern mecha anime. I'd go so far as to say the characters in his early works are a breath of fresh air, compared to the angsty, androgynous pretty boys you usually see in modern Real Robot anime (*cough*Gundamseedanddestiny*cough*).

Just my two cents.

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS