Options

Anime Mecha/Giant robot discussion.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I quite like Big-O but japanese style Giant Robots usually annoy me severely. I prefer my future tech a little bit more hulking. To me the Imperial Battle Titans from WH40K are what a Giant Robot is, huge war machines bristling with guns and shields who fight in hand to hand like Gigantic boxers, with massive power fists slowly crashing into each other or pushing each other back before blasting at their eneamies with Plasma cannons. Shields flaring with inalculable force as hundreds of little tech priests frantically try to keep the thing running from the inside.

The whole "nimble like a ninja" family of Robots just annoys me, I also hate any anime when they put a child in charge of a Giant Superweapon. I dont care how 'great' you think he is going to be at flying it, put a damn adult in that machine.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    tbloxham wrote:
    I quite like Big-O but japanese style Giant Robots usually annoy me severely. I prefer my future tech a little bit more hulking. To me the Imperial Battle Titans from WH40K are what a Giant Robot is, huge war machines bristling with guns and shields who fight in hand to hand like Gigantic boxers, with massive power fists slowly crashing into each other or pushing each other back before blasting at their eneamies with Plasma cannons. Shields flaring with inalculable force as hundreds of little tech priests frantically try to keep the thing running from the inside.

The whole "nimble like a ninja" family of Robots just annoys me, I also hate any anime when they put a child in charge of a Giant Superweapon. I dont care how 'great' you think he is going to be at flying it, put a damn adult in that machine.

I love my robots nimble and quick and over-the-top.

But yes, the child thing is annoying. The ONLY time it works is if this kid was essentially trained from birth and isn't entirely HUMAN, let alone a normal child, and you don't exactly see that concept often.

yalborap on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I am largely indifferent to giant robots/mecha. My enjoyment of a series is based on characters and story; if that story involves mecha, so be it.

I detested Eva.

I loved Macross Plus + Zero

I love Parallel Trouble Adventure Dual!

Nadesico is my all time favourite

I'm not keen on most of the Gundams or early Macross.

Etc.

Janson on
  • Options
    RobloRoblo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The only giant robot anime i have seen is Eva (not completly all of it, but most) so i dont really have much of a clue. can anyone tell me a few (easy to get hold) shows that are worth a watch? i did enjoy eva, expecially certain scenes, but it has its problems.

oh, and i have seen Patlabor, i thought it was horrible...

Roblo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Roblo wrote:
    The only giant robot anime i have seen is Eva (not completly all of it, but most) so i dont really have much of a clue. can anyone tell me a few (easy to get hold) shows that are worth a watch? i did enjoy eva, expecially certain scenes, but it has its problems.

oh, and i have seen Patlabor, i thought it was horrible...

Well, first, do you want super robots or real robots?

yalborap on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    well... patlabor is really more power armor, or whatever. like, GitS has simalar shit and that ain't mecha. It's really more a cop show with robots. Kinda like appleseed but more bad.

meh, I liked eva.

macross stuff is very good. Pretty as all get out. Zero was cgi or whatever, IIRC, and it was still rather nice looking.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DreamerdownDreamerdown Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Two pages in, and no mention of Giant Robo and/or Getta Robo? No Grandaizer or Dangard Ace?

Poseurs.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My favorite mecha anime has got to be Big O. It's Batman with an adroid and a giant mech. I couldn't not like it if I tried.

As to why mecha anime is popular, just look at them. What little boy wouldn't want to don a giant suit with lasers and missiles and lay waste to the forces of evil?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    GEKIGENGAR PUNCH!

Yesssss! Even though I know Nadesico dosn't really feature the giant robots as their main point, I loved everything about the robots, from the pilots to the fight scenes. Gai's death scene still makes me misty eyed.

Also, I used to love Vision of Escaflowne for the longest time, the design for those giant robots were superb. Haven't rewatched them in years though, I wonder if its still as good as I remember.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This thread fails pretty hard without any pics. All of mine are on my computer at home, or I would share...

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    alpha-battloid.gif

LegiosBattloidCutawayFS_ACGp43.gif

seeexxxxxy??

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, am I the only person left in the world who just enjoyed the fuck out of Evangelion, and never gets tired of re-watching it?

Aside from the original ending, I love every single episode.

Of course, thanks to my love of Eva, I have a hard time liking pretty much any other giant robot-related anime, because it either feels derivative, or the robot action just isn't even close to being as awesome.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This thread fails pretty hard without any pics. All of mine are on my computer at home, or I would share...

001bnh0.th.jpg

rahxephon1pi4.th.jpg

1136249270757dq2.th.jpg

I hope you're SATISFIED.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    tbloxham wrote:

I love my robots nimble and quick and over-the-top.

But yes, the child thing is annoying. The ONLY time it works is if this kid was essentially trained from birth and isn't entirely HUMAN, let alone a normal child, and you don't exactly see that concept often.

I dunno. Space Runaway Ideon did just that and pretty much showed what the consequences were. :D

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    You know what was an awful Giant Mecha anime? RahXephon.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I first watched Robotech when I was a kid, and fell in love. VF series Veritechs remain among my all time favourite mecha, along with the Cyclone power armour. Robotech had it all, and I lapped it up at the age of 5 or 6. It stuck with me, and the later novels and VHS releases only fueled that fire.

NGE really grabbed me as well, and while I can admit that the series isn't flawless, it is one of my favourites as well. Flawed characters and mecha alike, it was one of the first animes that I really got into that had vehicles of incredible power that also had horrific limitations imposed, which made things that much more interesting for me.

Patlabor, Bubblegum Crisis, etc all have given me a great love of giant robots and mecha (especially power armour), but that taste is hindered by a necessity to enjoy the show above and beyond the action. Gundam (at least as translated and dubbed in NA) drives me up the wall. The incessant monologues where people drone on and on about being unstoppable this and their foes imenent downfall that... just fucking get in the thing and blow shit up! GAH!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    You know what was an awful Giant Mecha anime? RahXephon.

You're an awful giant robot anime.

Alternatively:

Quiet you.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    It seemed like a really extra shitty Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's possible that the fansub I watched was just of extra poor quality making it somewhat incomprehensible.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    You want your giant robot pictures?

Here're all the ones I have.

mechgundam05tx4.th.jpg

srwogswall5raeo7.th.jpg

srxxd1.th.jpg

wingtm6.th.jpg

ac2210240mtqe8.th.jpg

banpreiosov2.th.jpg

koryuouuu8.th.png

metalgearrexym1.th.jpg

rex9kqdh1.th.jpg

thrudgelmirlk7.th.png

une6pzrr9.th.jpg

zoe2gt3em0.th.jpg

Well, that's everything from my desktop and artwork/renders/etc. folder, at least. I'll sift through my misc. folder later and see if I can find any more.

yalborap on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    It seemed like a really extra shitty Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's possible that the fansub I watched was just of extra poor quality making it somewhat incomprehensible.

It actually has more in common with an older Super Robot show called Brave Raideen.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    It seemed like a really extra shitty Neon Genesis Evangelion.
    Redundant.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    GadeusGadeus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I really enjoyed Eureka Seven, it's easily my favorite anime. Everything seemed perfect about it: the characters were likable, the music was great, and I was really impressed with the pacing after the first few episodes.

I really liked Eva as well, but not nearly as much as Eureka Seven. I really think that the characters being dysfunctional and unlikable added to the show. I always hate it when people complain about characters acting cowardly, or emotional during a story, because how would a normal person act if thrown into a situation like Eva?

Gadeus on
    Brawl Code: 2105-8329-7282
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I too love Evangelion, aside from whiny boy. I'm not complaining about him acting cowardly or emotional, he was just annoying.

I also love both endings to EVA.

I couldn't take Eureka Seven seriously for an obvious reason, but it didn't suck.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Forar wrote:
    I first watched Robotech when I was a kid, and fell in love. VF series Veritechs remain among my all time favourite mecha, along with the Cyclone power armour. Robotech had it all, and I lapped it up at the age of 5 or 6. It stuck with me, and the later novels and VHS releases only fueled that fire.

NGE really grabbed me as well, and while I can admit that the series isn't flawless, it is one of my favourites as well. Flawed characters and mecha alike, it was one of the first animes that I really got into that had vehicles of incredible power that also had horrific limitations imposed, which made things that much more interesting for me.

Patlabor, Bubblegum Crisis, etc all have given me a great love of giant robots and mecha (especially power armour), but that taste is hindered by a necessity to enjoy the show above and beyond the action. Gundam (at least as translated and dubbed in NA) drives me up the wall. The incessant monologues where people drone on and on about being unstoppable this and their foes imenent downfall that... just fucking get in the thing and blow shit up! GAH!

Robotech? Patlabor? You are a classy human being and you should be my friend.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gadeus wrote:
    I really enjoyed Eureka Seven, it's easily my favorite anime. Everything seemed perfect about it: the characters were likable, the music was great, and I was really impressed with the pacing after the first few episodes.

I really liked Eva as well, but not nearly as much as Eureka Seven. I really think that the characters being dysfunctional and unlikable added to the show. I always hate it when people complain about characters acting cowardly, or emotional during a story, because how would a normal person act if thrown into a situation like Eva?

Eureka Seven is, bar none, the most adorable anime I've ever seen. Even if it does feature sky surfing robots and alien coral. The fact remains that the Rentan and Eureka dynamic gets a 10 on the "Awwwwwww" scale.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    As I said on the first post, I'm a big fan of the MazinKaiser OAV, great fights, great humour and characters, and (for the first episode, at least) the villains actually fight like people with brains. Not to mention the villains are a mad scientist named Dr. Hell, and his half male/half female stooge Baron Ashura.

Also, it's been stated by many megalomaniac villains that they want to rule the world (Dr. Hell above is a great example), yet they think they can do this by conquering Japan. Now I like Japan, all my favorite games, and anime come from there, but in terms of pure political power, it's not that much. Wuldn't it be smarter to send their armies of murderous henchmen, and giant robots against a place like Washington? Especially since in most of these anime America has no giant robot driving heroes to protect it.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Matthew did you watch Godannar? Or any of you oldschool fans?

Hilarious show.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't hate EVA and still have some fond memories of it mostly because I watched it before it was hyped up to be the greatest thing ever. I ridicule those who think EVA is a life changing experience and is much deeper than it actually is, but at the time I thought it was a very well done and directed show. I still have a soft spot for Shinji and want to give the poor unloved kid a hug, and hell I was 14 when I watched it so there's a bit of empathy there. Also I haven't watched it in years and most of what I recall is probably tinged with nostalgia.

I love Robotech and all things Macross with the exception of the Macross II movie which was crap. Macross Plus is unarguably the best of them in almost every aspect. I thought Zero started off well as a prequel then failed to live up. I do hold a special place for Macross 7, especially the Dynamite 7 OAVs solely because Basara is a character who is both crazy and awesome, and he sounds eerily like John Lennon at times. The recurring theme in Macross is obviously that music and love triumph over force and violence so of course the logical step in Macross evolution was to combine pilot and singer into one person: a pacifist singer/pilot who flies out in battles shooting speaker pods at both enemy and ally and singing to them, mostly with failure as a result, in hopes of ending conflict. Yes, that whole "anima spiritia" thing in the TV series was silly and stupid but I enjoyed the sentiment. But it's the Dynamite 7 OAVs, which is basically Moby Dick in space, that I loved Basara the most. Basara piloting an old V-1 Valkyrie with an accoustic guitar crooning a duet with a giant space whale to a Yoko Kanno composed song is something to see. And that's another thing about Macross as a whole: the music is always enjoyable. Yoko Kanno's masterpiece in Macross Plus gets top honors but I greatly enjoyed the retro Lennon-inspired rock of Macross 7's Firebomber.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I agree with you Kitty, I love all Robotech except Macross II movie and I didn't care for what I saw of the unfinished sequel series. Robotech remains one of my favorite series of all time (I like how they patched the three separate shows into one for the American market) and Macross Plus is one of my favorite OAVs.

Macross 7 is fun it's just an acquired taste.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I've watched Godannar some, and I agree its a good series, I'll tryo to find time to watch more of it later.

Actually I kind of liked Macross II, I especially loved the music in it. The song Ishtar sings near the end is beautiful, and is quite possibly my favorite song in an anime. I was hoping to find it on the soundtrack, but for some reason it's not there. Anyone know where I can find it?

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I agree with you Kitty, I love all Robotech except Macross II movie and I didn't care for what I saw of the unfinished sequel series. Robotech remains one of my favorite series of all time (I like how they patched the three separate shows into one for the American market) and Macross Plus is one of my favorite OAVs.

Actually I'm still a bit confused with the whole Macross/Southern Cross/ Mospeda combination into Robotech. So, uh, what's that whole "protoculture" thing? At first I thought it was simply a term used in the Macross parts to describe intrinsic non-militaristic behaviour that was previously lost or ignored but then now it's something tangible and able to be harnessed. Someone make sense of it for.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

I agree. Things start off slow but towards the middle and end it's just great stuff. The treatment it gets from the majority of Macross "fans" bugs me to no end.

Also, robot remakes and sequels are on the rise. In three months there have been remakes announced for Reideen and Giant Robo, and sequels for VOTOMS and Dancougar.

Now we just need a Grendizer remake and I'll be perfectly happy.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I believe the Giant Robo is a new story, I don't think it's a remake per se. Judging by my sig, it's not hard to measure my anticipation!!!!

Bad Kitty: I found the 'protoculture' angle was just a way to tie the various alien races in to a single storyline. The Zentraedi, the Invid, and the Masters. I thought it was pretty cool. As far as technicalities, it's a power source with many uses (raw energy for futuristic machinery, mechs, etc, also genetic applications).

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:

I agree. Things start off slow but towards the middle and end it's just great stuff. The treatment it gets from the majority of Macross "fans" bugs me to no end.

Also, robot remakes and sequels are on the rise. In three months there have been remakes announced for Reideen and Giant Robo, and sequels for VOTOMS and Dancougar.

Now we just need a Grendizer remake and I'll be perfectly happy.
    I read an episode-by-episode synopsis of the series.

Apparently, if you cut out about 20 episodes or so, it could've been the best series of the franchise.

Macross Zero, I thought, was absolutely fucking amazing until the last episode. It was just so... unsatisfying.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Macross Zero, I thought, was absolutely fucking amazing until the last episode. It was just so... unsatisfying.

That's EXACTLY what I thought was wrong with Zero. All other Macross series have amazing endings and finales (Space Whales are my favourite). Even Macross 7's weirdly bizarre all villain medley was emotionally wrought. I can't even remember Zero's ending, it was that unsatisfying.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bad Kitty wrote:
    WHY wrote:

That's EXACTLY what I thought was wrong with Zero. All other Macross series have amazing endings and finales (Space Whales are my favourite). Even Macross 7's weirdly bizarre all villain medley was emotionally wrought. I can't even remember Zero's ending, it was that unsatisfying.
    [spoiler:f485ca41ba]Well, none of the rivalries are really resolved in a satisfying fashion; both anti-UN aces are killed by that thing. The protagonist just... up and disappears into space for no real good reason.

Not to mention that it suffers from the 0083 syndrome where GINORMOUS WORLD CHANGING EVENTS happen in a timeframe before a classic series, where none of this is of any importance.[/spoiler:f485ca41ba]

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Not exactly Giant Robot-y (Except the main villains, that is.), more Cyberpunk than anything, but...

I totally dig Battle Angel Alita and Last Order, the sequel.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Not to mention that it suffers from the 0083 syndrome where [spoiler:7168693e4d]GINORMOUS WORLD CHANGING EVENTS happen in a timeframe before a classic series, where none of this is of any importance.[/spoiler:7168693e4d]

The events of 0083 led directly to the emergence of the Titans, though.

Zero lost me when I realized this "Bird Human" shit was the central theme of the series. Not cool.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Tiemler wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Not to mention that it suffers from the 0083 syndrome where [spoiler:dd6547b8f9]GINORMOUS WORLD CHANGING EVENTS happen in a timeframe before a classic series, where none of this is of any importance.[/spoiler:dd6547b8f9]

The events of 0083 led directly to the emergence of the Titans, though.

Zero lost me when I realized this "Bird Human" shit was the central theme of the series. Not cool.
    0083 at least had that excuse.

That Colony Drop crap, though, just one of which in the one-year-war directly and indirectly wiped out half of the planetside population, as well as irreversibly changed earth's climate, happens again.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:

I think Macross 7 is hilarious.

irt robot pictures:
    The best part of giant-robot anime is the hot green-haired leet-pilot-chick.
    miriyadesktopxr6.th.jpg
    nadesicoryoko0017bv8.th.jpg
    (editted for better pic of Ryoko)

Giant-robot knife-fights are also good.
    fmp2404su8.th.jpg

And Mao.
    fmp0519dw8.th.jpg

ViolentChemistry on