Options

Anime Mecha/Giant robot discussion.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Tiemler wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Not to mention that it suffers from the 0083 syndrome where [spoiler:f3065fd12b]GINORMOUS WORLD CHANGING EVENTS happen in a timeframe before a classic series, where none of this is of any importance.[/spoiler:f3065fd12b]

The events of 0083 led directly to the emergence of the Titans, though.

Zero lost me when I realized this "Bird Human" shit was the central theme of the series. Not cool.
    0083 at least had that excuse.

That Colony Drop crap, though, just one of which in the one-year-war directly and indirectly wiped out half of the planetside population, as well as irreversibly changed earth's climate, happens again.

Eeh, I doubt the drop in Sydney honestly killed that much. Most of Earth's population by that time was involuntarily sent to the colonies in an effort to lower the planetside population. Most of the deaths in the One Year War was during its first week when Zeon and Earth were relentlessly nuking and gassing each others' colonies.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Eeh, I doubt the drop in Sydney honestly killed that much. Most of Earth's population by that time was involuntarily sent to the colonies in an effort to lower the planetside population. Most of the deaths in the One Year War was during its first week when Zeon and Earth were relentlessly nuking and gassing each others' colonies.

It hit a fairly heavily populated area and annihilated it, though.

And the Federation didn't nuke or gas colonies during the One-Year War. The Zeons gassed colonies that aligned with the Federation, or simply ones that they wanted to turn into weapons, and fought battles in the midst of a Side that tried to remain neutral, resulting in the destruction of most of its colonies.

The actual loss of life in the first week of the conflict, and throughout the One Year War itself, has never really been agreed upon, and even the population of the Earth Sphere is really up in the air.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Tiemler wrote:
    OtakuD00D wrote:

It hit a fairly heavily populated area and annihilated it, though.

And the Federation didn't nuke or gas colonies during the One-Year War. The Zeons gassed colonies that aligned with the Federation, or simply ones that they wanted to turn into weapons, and fought battles in the midst of a Side that tried to remain neutral, resulting in the destruction of most of its colonies.

The actual loss of life in the first week of the conflict, and throughout the One Year War itself, has never really been agreed upon, and even the population of the Earth Sphere is really up in the air.

I dunno, I could've sworn both sides were at it pretty indisciriminantly until Revil was captured and the Antarctic Treaty was signed. He escaped, however, and this led to the continuation of the war instead of a loss for the Federation.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    eaglearchereaglearcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The original Macross --- The one great Mecha animes.

I am not particularly fond of Gundam, I like Gundam, but there're too many
    philosophical craps in there.

eaglearcher on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, in Wing.

The rest of the series tend to be a lot lighter on that.

And hell, it's not Macross doesn't delve into that either.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Yeah, in Wing.

When it does, it's more along the lines of

"MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR! MUSIC SOOTHES THE SAVAGE BEAST!"

"AH, FUCK! CULTURE!" *Head asplode*

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Yeah, in Wing.

I don't understand shiat what Char's broadcast in Z-Gundam on TV, people moving to space and that non-sense, V-Gundam's reasoning of the bad guys, the motivation behind all the people in Gundam Turn A.

At least I know what the hell is going on in Macross, despite its ludicrous revelation about magic in the music.

eaglearcher on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Yeah, in Wing.

I don't understand shiat what Char's broadcast in Z-Gundam on TV, people moving to space and that non-sense, V-Gundam's reasoning of the bad guys, the motivation behind all the people in Gundam Turn A.

At least I know what the hell is going on in Macross, despite its ludicrous revelation about magic in the music.

Char basically gripes about Mankind needing to evolve into Newtypes by moving to space. In space, their souls aren't held down by Earth's gravity and thus are able to evolve. As Newtypes, mankind can gain the ability to communicate across the vast reaches of space and achieve a common understanding and blah blah blah.

Eventually he says "Fuck this. You guys suck." and pulls a Magneto by attempting to drop an asteroid on Earth. He figures that by fucking Earth up enough like that he can get everyone to move out to space. Of course, he still can't get over Lalah Sune and Amuro. >_>

Thus follows the worst case of a mid-life crisis I've ever seen.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I'm pretty sure Char never really wanted to destroy the Earth.

If you pay attention on how he acts and what he says during CCA, it seems he really just wants Amuro to show up and stop him.

Which actually makes his plan even more dickish.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Oh yeah, and definite proof that Macross >> Gundam
    th_mcr077l.jpg
    th_c1_5b.jpg
    th_jyousyoub.jpg
    th_m34_1.jpg

eaglearcher on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Char never really wanted to destroy the Earth.

If you pay attention on how he acts and what he says during CCA, it seems he really just wants Amuro to show up and stop him.

Which actually makes his plan even more dickish.

Yeah, I pointed that bit about Amuro too.

Like I said, mid-life crisis. :( Char was in his early-thirties. That's like, GETTING THERE for Mecha pilots!

And with that, g'night.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Char basically gripes about Mankind needing to evolve into Newtypes by moving to space. In space, their souls aren't held down by Earth's gravity and thus are able to evolve. As Newtypes, mankind can gain the ability to communicate across the vast reaches of space and achieve a common understanding and blah blah blah.

Basically, sometimes even UC Gundam turns all philosophical and new agey. Every time a character I'm supposed to respect utters some drivel about men's souls being weighed down by gravity, with a straight face, it makes me wanna fast-forward to the parts where Kill-Em-All-Tomino earns his moniker.
    Thus follows the worst case of a mid-life crisis I've ever seen.

"Whose asteroid is that out front?"

"Mine. It's Axis. I've always wanted it, and now it's mine. I rule!"

Tiemler on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just some more Macross pictures, because I don't really care much for giant robot shows but I do care about this one. Whoever came up with the valkyrie design is a genius. There's something elegant yet powerful about them, not like some bulky ugly gundam.

t60211377.jpg

t60211563.jpg

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Something I loved about Gundam X was it's final revelation about Newtypes, that they weren't evolved humans after all, but were in facts humans who had been mutated by living in space. I thought that put a nice capper on the whole thing, even if Gundam X really is, technically, an alternate story, most people i've talked to about it, consider it the last word on Newtypes, as later UC series seem to put it that Newtypes aren't humanity's future after all.

Matthew on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Matthew wrote:
    Something I loved about Gundam X was it's final revelation about Newtypes, that they weren't evolved humans after all, but were in facts humans who had been mutated by living in space.
    ...how is that not an evolved human? That's all evolution is, mutation that doesn't impede survival.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Matthew wrote:
    Something I loved about Gundam X was it's final revelation about Newtypes, that they weren't evolved humans after all, but were in facts humans who had been mutated by living in space.
    ...how is that not an evolved human? That's all evolution is, mutation that doesn't impede survival.

I think he means more in that it is not some kind of pre-destined 'higher step', but just basic adaptation.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    Matthew wrote:

I think he means more in that it is not some kind of pre-destined 'higher step', but just basic adaptation.
    And I think what I mean is that's all evolution is.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Bad Kitty wrote:
    Just some more Macross pictures, because I don't really care much for giant robot shows but I do care about this one. Whoever came up with the valkyrie design is a genius. There's something elegant yet powerful about them, not like some bulky ugly gundam.

I'll tell you why. Nothing in the valkyrie design is just there for the sake of decoration. No pointless Gundam skirt, the V antenna, the legs of the mech unlike other robots actually have a practical purpose (vertical take off/hover)

eaglearcher on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    Matthew wrote:

This is true.

The concept of a newtype always seemed to be implying it was something BEYOND that, though, at least to me. It was more than just basic adaptation.

I could be wrong on this, though, and I could be wrong on what Matthew was implying, as well.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    Matthew wrote:

This is true.

The concept of a newtype always seemed to be implying it was something BEYOND that, though, at least to me. It was more than just basic adaptation.

I could be wrong on this, though, and I could be wrong on what Matthew was implying, as well.

See, this is one thing Gundam Wing got absolutely right. No Newtypes. It's just that people born and raised in space are much better at moving in a 3D enviroment. No crazy psychic powers.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    Matthew wrote:

This is true.

See, this is one thing Gundam Wing got absolutely right. No Newtypes. It's just that people born and raised in space are much better at moving in a 3D enviroment. No crazy psychic powers.

I always saw Newtyps as something beyond mere adaptation. I alwasy got the impression that Newtypes were a whole new world of humanity, as different from current humans, as current humans are from the first cavemen. to adapt means to change to fit a certain situation right? Newtypes were mortrayed as something more, more about destiny and the limits of human potential.

Wasn't this the theory that Char's father, Zeon Daikun, stated? The one Char was fighting to make come true?

Which made GX's reveltaion all the more interesting. That Zeon was wrong. Newtypes weren't about destiny, but almost an accident.

Matthew on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Matthew wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    Matthew wrote:

This is true.

I always saw Newtyps as something beyond mere adaptation. I alwasy got the impression that Newtypes were a whole new world of humanity, as different from current humans, as current humans are from the first cavemen. to adapt means to change to fit a certain situation right? Newtypes were mortrayed as something more, more about destiny and the limits of human potential.

Wasn't this the theory that Char's father, Zeon Daikun, stated? The one Char was fighting to make come true?

Which made GX's reveltaion all the more interesting. That Zeon was wrong. Newtypes weren't about destiny, but almost an accident.

Then again, GX's revelation can't really apply to UC Gundam, unless you've seen Turn-A and consider THAT canon. Either way. Accidental mutation = Evolution. Destiny blah blah = Romanticized rambling about evolution.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Beating route E in Gundam v Zeta Gundam is pissing me off, because it's not occurring.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So... I liked Gundam Wing. A lot.

The whole "Make peace, not war!" thing does get really heavy-handed, but I enjoy the way the characters deal with those ideas. Also, Gundam Wing's other theme, about the right attitude a soldier should take regarding war and peace, was done very well.

Also, Gundam Wing has my favorite treatment of the whole idea behind Gundams. The Gundams of GW felt crafted instead of built. In so many of the other Gundam shows, the Gundams are clearly military machines assembled in a factory for warfare. The Gundams of Gundam Wing felt like the products of an artisan's workshop: a lone master craftsman, working with limited assistance, painstakingly constructing something that's unique, distinctive, and powerful. They were more than machines, they were symbols, almost gods.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Harrier wrote:

The whole "Make peace, not war!" thing does get really heavy-handed, but I enjoy the way the characters deal with those ideas. Also, Gundam Wing's other theme, about the right attitude a soldier should take regarding war and peace, was done very well.

Also, Gundam Wing has my favorite treatment of the whole idea behind Gundams. The Gundams of GW felt crafted instead of built. In so many of the other Gundam shows, the Gundams are clearly military machines assembled in a factory for warfare. The Gundams of Gundam Wing felt like the products of an artisan's workshop: a lone master craftsman, working with limited assistance, painstakingly constructing something that's unique, distinctive, and powerful. They were more than machines, they were symbols, almost gods.

That's because Gundam Wing's war is considerably different than the war in UC.

In GW, the main characters were not taking part in a traditional war, with two opposing armies and mass produced units on both sides. Their war was a Guerrila War, meaning it was them against the world, so all they had for themselves were their five machines, and nothing else. This facilitates the craftsman idea, since the Gundams were designed precisely with that in mind. They had to carry the war on their own.

UC, on the other hand, was not a Guerrila War. The original Gundam was produced expressly with the belief that it would not have to carry the entire war. It was the prototype for a mass produced model (the GM), and that was never really in doubt. That's the reason why UC Gundams appear to have been built, as you put it. It's because they were.

Gundam Wing, to me, missed the mark solely because of the Characters. It would have been far better, in my mind, if there were only 3 Gundam pilots: Duo, Quatre, and either Trowa or Wufei. We didn't need Trowa, Wufei and Heero, since all three are practically the same character, compounding their annoyance. I personally favor Trowa, since I liked Heavyarms and it would be needed to balance out the other 2 main characters having chiefly close range machines. But with Wufei, you get a more rounded Gundam and the conflict with Treize. But never Heero. Screw him and his annoying storylines.

Also, we should have seen a lot more of the Maganacs. Because they were cool.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Harrier wrote:

In GW, the main characters were not taking part in a traditional war, with two opposing armies and mass produced units on both sides. Their war was a Guerrila War, meaning it was them against the world, so all they had for themselves were their five machines, and nothing else. This facilitates the craftsman idea, since the Gundams were designed precisely with that in mind. They had to carry the war on their own.

UC, on the other hand, was not a Guerrila War. The original Gundam was produced expressly with the belief that it would not have to carry the entire war. It was the prototype for a mass produced model (the GM), and that was never really in doubt. That's the reason why UC Gundams appear to have been built, as you put it. It's because they were.

Gundam Wing, to me, missed the mark solely because of the Characters. It would have been far better, in my mind, if there were only 3 Gundam pilots: Duo, Quatre, and either Trowa or Wufei. We didn't need Trowa, Wufei and Heero, since all three are practically the same character, compounding their annoyance. I personally favor Trowa, since I liked Heavyarms and it would be needed to balance out the other 2 main characters having chiefly close range machines. But with Wufei, you get a more rounded Gundam and the conflict with Treize. But never Heero. Screw him and his annoying storylines.

Were Trowa and Heero really all that alike? I mean, they both had the 'strong, silent type' thing going on, but Trowa was merely fearless, while Heero had an inability to feel emotion that sometimes bordered on physical abnormality- it was like his brain didn't work the way it should.

I'll say, however, that I never liked Heero as much as some of the others. My favorite pilots were Duo and Quatre; Duo is absolutely fucking fantastic, and Quatre goes through some of the best character development in the show.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    Zampano wrote:
    Harrier wrote:

Were Trowa and Heero really all that alike? I mean, they both had the 'strong, silent type' thing going on, but Trowa was merely fearless, while Heero had an inability to feel emotion that sometimes bordered on physical abnormality- it was like his brain didn't work the way it should.

I'll say, however, that I never liked Heero as much as some of the others. My favorite pilots were Duo and Quatre; Duo is absolutely fucking fantastic, and Quatre goes through some of the best character development in the show.

The orginal Quatre VA also holds the title for girliest voice ever, just barely beating out Goku. Its that girly.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Four Psycho-Gundams duking it out in Hong Kong City 2 is awesome to watch.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    Zampano wrote:
    Harrier wrote:

The orginal Quatre VA also holds the title for girliest voice ever, just barely beating out Goku. Its that girly.
    It's a hell of a lot better than the dub voice, though.

Harrier on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    MECHA SHIVA!

mecha-shiva.gif

Etch on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    Harrier wrote:
    Zampano wrote:
    Harrier wrote:

It's a hell of a lot better than the dub voice, though.
    Yeah, it was pretty girly. Then again, Amuro's dubbed voice wasn't particularly manly either.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I'll tell you why. Nothing in the valkyrie design is just there for the sake of decoration. No pointless Gundam skirt, the V antenna, the legs of the mech unlike other robots actually have a practical purpose (vertical take off/hover)

Right, Macross is sooo not about style before substance. :roll:

Did you manage to keep a straight face while you typed the words "valkyrie" and "practical" in the same paragraph?

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Tiemler wrote:

Did you manage to keep a straight face while you typed the words "valkyrie" and "practical" in the same paragraph?

Both of you, stop arguing right now, or you're going to the corner for a time-out. Followed by ritualistic beatings.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    Tiemler wrote:

Both of you, stop arguing right now, or you're going to the corner for a time-out. Followed by ritualistic beatings.
    Yeah, somehow I don't think threats from yalborap are going to show themselves to be terribly persuasive.

Besides Tiemler is right, Valkyries are frankly more absurd than Gundams in terms of being-like-real-weapons. Here we have a manned fighter whose capabilities are exceeded by modern unmanned fighter experiments and just to make sure we can't make it even remotely durable to compensate for being so much less maneuverable, let's expend even more mass on the mechanisms and systems needed to make it transform into a giant robot with a rifle. Which, by the way, will totally not be a maintenance nightmare, I promise. Sorry dude, but while the V and the face and skirt and shit on the Gundams are clearly just for decoration, the entire fucking Valkyrie is just for decoration.

That said, I'll take Skull One over Wing Zero any day.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Pretty much the concept of the giant humanoid robot is itself impractical. Think of the unnecessary technology, gyros, and all other crap it takes to simulate human balance and dexterity. There are much better ways to fight a war. That said, I refered to the valkyrie as elegant purely in a stylistic sense. They're much sleeker, prettier, and more feminine than a gundam's garish and overly masculine gladiator design. More aerial swan than hulking behemoth.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Actually, there's a decent reason why Gundams exist in, at the very least, the UC timeline. Minovski Particles. Scattered across the battlefield, they make any kind of guided long range combat almost completely useless, necessitating a new era of close ranged combat. Plus, the fact that you can make a Beam Saber fairly easily makes one want to create something that can use it.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I prefer Gundams just because they don't look like they'll break if I hit them hard enough with a stick.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    Tiemler wrote:

Yeah, somehow I don't think threats from yalborap are going to show themselves to be terribly persuasive.

Besides Tiemler is right, Valkyries are frankly more absurd than Gundams in terms of being-like-real-weapons. Here we have a manned fighter whose capabilities are exceeded by modern unmanned fighter experiments and just to make sure we can't make it even remotely durable to compensate for being so much less maneuverable, let's expend even more mass on the mechanisms and systems needed to make it transform into a giant robot with a rifle. Which, by the way, will totally not be a maintenance nightmare, I promise. Sorry dude, but while the V and the face and skirt and shit on the Gundams are clearly just for decoration, the entire fucking Valkyrie is just for decoration.

That said, I'll take Skull One over Wing Zero any day.

Lol. Self-maintaining Nanomachine repair bots.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Bad Kitty wrote:
    Pretty much the concept of the giant humanoid robot is itself impractical. Think of the unnecessary technology, gyros, and all other crap it takes to simulate human balance and dexterity. There are much better ways to fight a war. That said, I refered to the valkyrie as elegant purely in a stylistic sense. They're much sleeker, prettier, and more feminine than a gundam's garish and overly masculine gladiator design. More aerial swan than hulking behemoth.
    Bah. Hulking behemoth?
    bscap122nm3.th.jpg
    bscap126pg2.th.jpg
    bscap129cz2.th.jpg
    bscap132zr0.th.jpg
    bscap133dl7.th.jpg

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I have no idea what show that is. Berserk in space? The huge sword is making me laugh.

Bad Kitty on