Options

Anime Mecha/Giant robot discussion.

• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Bad Kitty wrote:
    I have no idea what show that is. Berserk in space? The huge sword is making me laugh.
    The Super Robot Wars OAV.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dygenguar

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bad Kitty wrote:
    I have no idea what show that is. Berserk in space? The huge sword is making me laugh.

I prefer to call it by Daizengar, myself. Although I do wonder how they'll translate it in OG2.

Although yes, if you're looking for your non-hulking-behemoth-mechs, I direct you to this:

gf13-050nsw.jpg

yalborap on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    Bad Kitty wrote:

The OAV is so mediocere to poor. Though I'm not certain the series is too much better yet. I'm sorta enjoying it as a fan of the games, but jesus is it dragging. I guess if it's scheduled for a year run, it's going at about the right clip, but yaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnn.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Bad Kitty wrote:

The OAV is so mediocere to poor. Though I'm not certain the series is too much better yet. I'm sorta enjoying it as a fan of the games, but jesus is it dragging. I guess if it's scheduled for a year run, it's going at about the right clip, but yaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnn.

How far are they? I'm incredibly behind.

Furu on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Bad Kitty wrote:

How far are they? I'm incredibly behind.

Irm shows up in episode 4. Doesn't pilot anything, but finally makes it to the base. Also the first encounter with the Lions. Basically, every training mission in the game got an episode.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Well fuck, that's a little much.

If it turns out they did that and don't make it through the end of the Bian storyline I'll be rather pissed.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Bad Kitty wrote:

The OAV is so mediocere to poor.
    You mean it's a giant-robot anime? I hadn't heard.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    Bad Kitty wrote:

There are lots of good mecha anime...just not this one.

There's a pretty big list of things that went wrong with the OVA. The absolutely barren backgrounds, stiff CGI, off-model characters, and nonsensical plot stand out. Most of those are fixed in the TV series, though the backgrounds are still a little too sparse looking for my tastes.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    Bad Kitty wrote:

There are lots of good mecha anime...just not this one.
    Honestly, no. There are maybe one or two, but I doubt they're even ones I enjoy. I don't go to giant-robots looking for Citizen Kane though, I go looking for giant robots to smash eachother. The game and the OAV both deliver, the series does not.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    To each his own, I guess.

All I know is that Giant Robo is probably one of the best things I have ever seen.

Furu on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Robotech? Patlabor? You are a classy human being and you should be my friend.

Thank you, it would be an honour.

Giant robots have always captivated my imagination in the same way that fighter jets and modern armour (tanks and whatnot) do; giant machines designed to protect their occupents and hit things that need hitting.

Impractical as a Veritech (I grew up on Robotech, and that's what I'll call them, damnit!) is, they are also incredible machines for their given roles. That said, yeah, without some kind of nano-technology for automated repair, I'm sure they'd be a maintenance nightmare.

On the smaller end of the scale, I've also had a profound love of the concept of Power Armour, especially given the far greater likelyhood of us one day producing such units, for construction, search and rescue or military purposes. Encasing someone in a suit that will protect them, make them stronger, faster and resiliant to danger and damage is all kinds of appealing. From the power loader in Aliens to the suits in Appleseed and Bubblegum Crisis, to Cyclones in Robotech (the latter, of course, being another flight of fancy). Elemental suits in Battletech and the various PA in Rifts also inspire me, to the point that my first and favourite Rifts character is an NGR Power Armour Pilot. (T-31 Super Trooper for life!)

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Forar wrote:

Giant robots have always captivated my imagination in the same way that fighter jets and modern armour (tanks and whatnot) do; giant machines designed to protect their occupents and hit things that need hitting.

Impractical as a Veritech (I grew up on Robotech, and that's what I'll call them, damnit!) is, they are also incredible machines for their given roles. That said, yeah, without some kind of nano-technology for automated repair, I'm sure they'd be a maintenance nightmare.

On the smaller end of the scale, I've also had a profound love of the concept of Power Armour, especially given the far greater likelyhood of us one day producing such units, for construction, search and rescue or military purposes. Encasing someone in a suit that will protect them, make them stronger, faster and resiliant to danger and damage is all kinds of appealing. From the power loader in Aliens to the suits in Appleseed and Bubblegum Crisis, to Cyclones in Robotech (the latter, of course, being another flight of fancy). Elemental suits in Battletech and the various PA in Rifts also inspire me, to the point that my first and favourite Rifts character is an NGR Power Armour Pilot. (T-31 Super Trooper for life!)

I think the issue of realism was part of why I liked NGE so much. Obviously the concept and story aren't "realistic", but I loved the way the Evas and their opponents always felt *real*. You could feel the weight of them as they moved, you could see it in the way their were animated (this is especially true during the Unit 02 fight in End of Eva), and the use of the power cords in order to supply them always struck me as very cool, because goddamn, giant robots would be a bitch to power.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Robotech will always be my favorite. Even though its a mix of three different anime series with a single storyline its the story and animation that had me hooked.

Other notable favs are:

Megazone 23 OVA series

Anything Macross (except Macross 7)

Orguss

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I really enjoyed the giant robot fights in Full Metal Panic!. I should buy both season box-sets sometime when I have enough money not to eventually have to sell them to make a car-payment again.

Edit: Also, new avatar time. [chat] failed me, so I shall put it here since it's frankly more appropriate here anyway.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I actually had a dorky idea a while back that might fit with this. You could switch to Zengar/Sanger and make a Civil War "I'm with Team ATX" signature, and then I would make an SRX avatar and a "I'm with Team SRX" Civil War signature.

Retarded idea, but you might be willing to go with it. If not, I'll just edit this away.

yalborap on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Forar wrote:

I think the issue of realism was part of why I liked NGE so much. Obviously the concept and story aren't "realistic", but I loved the way the Evas and their opponents always felt *real*. You could feel the weight of them as they moved, you could see it in the way their were animated (this is especially true during the Unit 02 fight in End of Eva), and the use of the power cords in order to supply them always struck me as very cool, because goddamn, giant robots would be a bitch to power.

Don't forget the mechs from VOTOMS. They were pretty damn small. I'd think they're fairly feasible. THey skid along on wheeled legs and all.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    DreamerdownDreamerdown Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Robotech will always be my favorite. Even though its a mix of three different anime series with a single storyline its the story and animation that had me hooked.

Other notable favs are:

Megazone 23 OVA series

Anything Macross (except Macross 7)

Orguss

Orguss is all manner of awesome.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love.
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Forar wrote:

Don't forget the mechs from VOTOMS. They were pretty damn small. I'd think they're fairly feasible. THey skid along on wheeled legs and all.

And the armors from Blue Gender, though that show was so insane that it they would be hard pressed to salvage it.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I like where this is going.

The Scopedog is easily my favorite mecha of all time, and Patlabor is my favorite anime series. Mecha that look like they could conceivably inhabit the modern battlefield 4tw.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    RobloRoblo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i saw Robotech: the Macross saga' ( or something like that, i think) for £25 today ( a box set) is it good? is it worth that? all i have seen before is some Evangelion (and patlabor, didnt like that). so, should i get it? i bow to your accumulated knowlege...

Roblo on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Do heavy gears count? Considering that it's basically a votoms-inspired RPG/wargame.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Forar wrote:

I know it's not anime, but Exo Squad was also a good example of Power Armor. A pity the series ended on such an awful cliffhanger.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Also, is anyone else pissed that Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles has been delayed again? Cause man, I was looking forward to getting it Nov. 21, since the previews of it look pretty cool. Oh well.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    DreamerdownDreamerdown Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Do heavy gears count? Considering that it's basically a votoms-inspired RPG/wargame.

It's a series of PC games too, so I'd say it counts.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    XV89p4.jpg

Thread needs more Tau.

With which to say I think the giant robot thing/power armour extends far beyond japanese anime/manga. Personally I just don't get the attraction in a lot of the mecha cartoons, however my soul belongs to Battletech and the european influenced mechs after having a go in one of the special arcades that were set up around the same time as Mechwarrrior 2 came out.

Given a briefing, then led to a large, dark hanger with the very same pods you've seen installed into said mechs...sold!

To take it in more of a general dicussion of the topic rather than specific TV shows, I'd say that the appeal lies in the same sort of wish fullfillment that sword and sorcery does (i.e life would be so much easier if I were super strong/beautiful/magical/in a giant robot suit). With that in mind I think the japanese series and settings push the suspension of disbelief more than the western ones. Whether this is due to a more establised fantasy genre or a more secular outlook on life on the part of Europe (and the US) I don't know. But I just can get behind a character piloting a huge walker, or a sophisticated battlesuit more than one who has a wierd psychic titan acrobat.

Alternatively its something deep within the human/male psyche that just loves pistons, and our giant robots are just steam trains taken to the next level - something the Japanese ones are too keen to sacrifice for being able to perform Kung Foolery.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well, lets see. Most American mech designs are based off of Battletech, which itself is stolen from Macross, so...

Anyways throw a vote in for me with the Great, Big O! That is one cool looking robot.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm going to go on record and say that Battletech's original designs for the most part, sucked hideous balls up till around when the Clans invaded.

Not to say that the borrowed designs were all great, either. They actually managed to make the zentradi battlepod uglier.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    Don't you Wing fans love it when your show gets a mention in the news?
    http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0645,weekly,74919,2.html

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:

"Then Gundam Wing Happend."

True enough, however, I'll say this; No other show has resulted in more nerds getting laid, ever. Talk to the right yaoi obbessed girl about this show in the early part of this decade and bam. That's just one reason I can never, ever hate Gundam Wing.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    "BUTT SEX!" shriek almost 2,000 women, rearing up from their chairs.

What hath Machall unleashed upon the world?

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    I also liked the misspelling of shoujo (girl) comics as shojo (virgin).

Shojo comics indeed. :wink:

Aroduc on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:

Well, most people really don't want to have to hunt down the O with a bar over it, which is another proper way to do it that doesn't make people want to pronounce a U. Hell, I can't even find the proper O in Word.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:

Wasn't that a game?

Shojo: Armored Hymen Division

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Tiemler wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

Wasn't that a game?

I beat it on hard.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Tiemler wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

Wasn't that a game?

I beat it on hard.

I hear that unlocks easy mode.

Did it take a couple tries?

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Tiemler wrote:
    Tiemler wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

Wasn't that a game?

I beat it on hard.

No but after the first time through you can turn off the gore and it's more fun.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Tiemler wrote:
    Tiemler wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:

Wasn't that a game?

I beat it on hard.

No but after the first time through you can turn off the gore and it's more fun.

Wait, is this the D&D "Mecha" thread, or the OD&M "Worst RPG Ever" thread?

I'm confused, though to be fair, both are pretty focused on the protective qualities of armoured hymens.

Forar on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I just watched Karas.

Does that count?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I would regret google image searching that, wouldn't I?

Forar on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Forar wrote:
    I would regret google image searching that, wouldn't I?

GIS'ing even innocuous terms, hell maybe even the word innocuous, has an alarming tendency to turn up disturbing results.

Tiemler on