Options

Anime Mecha/Giant robot discussion.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, I forgot that Gundam Wing had a fairly catchy themesong.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Probably its greatest redeeming feature.

EDIT: Is the ending that Toonami played different from the ending in the original Japanese? I ask because the former rocked pretty hard.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:

I did like the psycho chick with the glasses.

Been a while since I watched it...

Tiemler on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Tiemler wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

I did like the psycho chick with the glasses.

Been a while since I watched it...

Lady Une. Just about every female in that show is a complete nut job, and both themes are really pretty good. The ending however, is disturbing.

The G Gundam openings, however, are balls awesome.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rfs1xMwyxM

Mmmmm...delicious Engrish.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    FCD wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8bNJOSQgu0&mode=related&search=

and this is the other one, which is also as awesome, and just as engrishy.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    FCD wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8bNJOSQgu0&mode=related&search=

and this is the other one, which is also as awesome, and just as engrishy.

I don't know. That second one doesn't have lines as brilliant as "BRIGHT YOU NOW!"

Man that show was weird.

Also, I forgot how hilarious Master Asia's martial arts are. Of course, now he's probably going to kill me in my sleep with his scarf for laughing at him.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Master Asia is the baddest badass who has ever kicked an ass.

He is probably my favorite anime character ever, even if his reasons for being evil are questionable, at best.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    When Master Asia rips his shirt open while Domon is cradling his dying body, all I could think was "Wow, this is really gay." However, it was funny gay, not serious gay, like Wing and SEED. Which is forgivable.

However, Asia is the only character in Gundam history ever to destroy a mobile suit with a piece of cotton, so he gets mad props.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The entire arc that introduces him is great too. The Master Gundam reveal and the Devil Gundam awakening and blowing what little remains of the city to shit are highlights.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:

That is from one of the many SD Gundam games, which as a rule have awesome cinematics.

The Predator parody with Deathscythe stalking a group of Hizacks in a swamp stands out in my mind.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Boy howdy, does Quatre have a girly voice though.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Tell me some things about these "SD Gundam games" of which you speak. Gundam vs Z-Gundam is excellent, but lacking in Deathscythe.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:
    What exactly was its 'theme song'? I'm not sure if I ever picked it out.

I always loved the 'intro music', that ran over the setting of the stage, the significant shots from the previous episode, and finally the title displayed in front of the Wing Gundam in orbit. It's so delightfully John Williams-esque.

Also, Quatre is a bad motherfucker by the series' end. He has a girly goddamn voice, but he kicks ten kinds of ass in the final fight.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    What exactly was its 'theme song'? I'm not sure if I ever picked it out.

I always loved the 'intro music', that ran over the setting of the stage, the significant shots from the previous episode, and finally the title displayed in front of the Wing Gundam in orbit. It's so delightfully John Williams-esque.

Also, Quatre is a bad motherfucker by the series' end. He has a girly goddamn voice, but he kicks ten kinds of ass in the final fight.

I believe it was called "Just Communication". The Japanese themesong is pretty cool, but it does mark the shift from Gundam using hilarious male voices to sing their songs ("Gundamu!!!") to high pitched Japense women. Which is slightly less amusing.

But the remixed rock version used in the Toonami ending is pretty awesome.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    using hilarious male voices to sing their songs ("Gundamu!!!")
    The openning theme for the original Macross is hilarious in this regard.
    "Maaacuuurosssu! Maaacuuurosssu!"

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Big O... Big O Big O Big O!

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Zampano wrote:
    Flash Gordon homages are actually "awesome", not "hilarious". Easy mistake though.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    BuntaBunta Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    The Macross intro song might be a bit silly now, but the ending song still puts a tear in my eye, especially after the events in the last few episodes :(

Bunta on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Zampano wrote:
    Flash Gordon homages are actually "awesome", not "hilarious". Easy mistake though.

Plus, the managed to sing that without Engrishing it up. Otherwise, it probably would have been "Bigu Oru!"

Speaking of theme songs, I love that Mobile Suit Gundam's theme features Amuro dancing around like a fairy, for no apparent reason.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Plus, the managed to sing that without Engrishing it up. Otherwise, it probably would have been "Bigu Oru!"

Speaking of theme songs, I love that Mobile Suit Gundam's theme features Amuro dancing around like a fairy, for no apparent reason.

Ah, but you're ignoring the massive amount of engrish disguised as gibberish in between the "Big O" chants. I didn't recognize that they were saying "Cast in the name of God, Ye not guilty" until someone pointed it out for me.

As for giant robo themes, I'm generally torn among the various Macross ones. Do You Remember Love (Macross movie) is classic but is rivaled by Angel Voice (Macross 7 OAV) as best ending/finale songs. Voices (Macross Plus) wins hands down as best intro, but Dynamite Explosion (Macross 7 OAV) is once again just plain fun.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Bad Kitty wrote:
    Voices (Macross Plus) wins hands down as best Macross song ever

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    Bad Kitty wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

Ah, but you're ignoring the massive amount of engrish disguised as gibberish in between the "Big O" chants. I didn't recognize that they were saying "Cast in the name of God, Ye not guilty" until someone pointed it out for me.

ESCA

FLOWNE

ESCA

FLOWNE

ESCAAAAAAA

FLOWNE

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I've been highly enjoying Eureka 7 lately.

I really hated the show at first because it seemed like another generic robot anime meant to appeal to the kids. It also didn't explain jack shit about the plot, although it constantly threw around all the technobabble in it from the first episode.

However, after I realized it was something of an Evangelion clone, I started liking it a lot more, hah. I know a lot of people dislike Eva, but its one of my favorite series. Eureka 7 has its own style and I like where its going, but its hard not to see the obvious similarities between the two series.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I've been highly enjoying Eureka 7 lately.

I really hated the show at first because it seemed like another generic robot anime meant to appeal to the kids. It also didn't explain jack shit about the plot, although it constantly threw around all the technobabble in it from the first episode.

However, after I realized it was something of an Evangelion clone, I started liking it a lot more, hah. I know a lot of people dislike Eva, but its one of my favorite series. Eureka 7 has its own style and I like where its going, but its hard not to see the obvious similarities between the two series.

Plus: Surfing Robots.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bad Kitty wrote:
    Zampano wrote:

As for giant robo themes, I'm generally torn among the various Macross ones. Do You Remember Love (Macross movie) is classic but is rivaled by Angel Voice (Macross 7 OAV) as best ending/finale songs. Voices (Macross Plus) wins hands down as best intro, but Dynamite Explosion (Macross 7 OAV) is once again just plain fun.

I love the hell out of Try Again. I saw a funny as hell youtube video once, but I can't find it again. It was a parody of the Tobe! Gundam intro with the red-nosed Acguy pilot as the main dude. It was AWESOME.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    I love the hell out of Try Again. I saw a funny as hell youtube video once, but I can't find it again. It was a parody of the Tobe! Gundam intro with the red-nosed Acguy pilot as the main dude. It was AWESOME.

Try Again is one of those great feel good inspirational songs that's pretty cheesy but works just so damn well in context that it puts a smile on your face. Guilty revelation: the dubbed NA SailorMoon finale song when they're defeating Evil Queen Beryl, Power of Love, elicits the same reactions. Also Try Again is awesome because [spoiler:8e063cad57]the villains start singing along with Basara to defeat the true universe-ending big-bad and holy shit the villains sound awful, like a chain-smoking drag-queen singing in falsetto. But it was still a fun, if weird and cheesy, ending. [/spoiler:8e063cad57]

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have the opening track to Robotech on my MP3 player, and sometimes the guy who DJ's a net radio station during our WoW raids will play it just because there are a couple of us who love it dearly.

I had, however, forgotten about Voices, and shall have to go download that when I get home.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bad Kitty wrote:
    OtakuD00D wrote:

Try Again is one of those great feel good inspirational songs that's pretty cheesy but works just so damn well in context that it puts a smile on your face. Guilty revelation: the dubbed NA SailorMoon finale song when they're defeating Evil Queen Beryl, Power of Love, elicits the same reactions. Also Try Again is awesome because [spoiler:757166f40c]the villains start singing along with Basara to defeat the true universe-ending big-bad and holy shit the villains sound awful, like a chain-smoking drag-queen singing in falsetto. But it was still a fun, if weird and cheesy, ending. [/spoiler:757166f40c]

I love its use in Super Robot Wars Alpha 3.

[spoiler:757166f40c]It debuts in the final Macross 7 Mission. The Sound Force squad, complete with Basara, Mylene, the other two, and the Protodeviln girl sing the song as a group to beat Gepelnich. Afterwards, you can use that as a MAP move to increase all stats by a certain amount, or use the group version to dramatically buff stats on a single unit. It's an awesome song.

Of course, Toutageki Love Heart is the most important song for me because it boosts Morale very damn quickly. I can max out everyone's Morale after barely a turn or two if I group everyone up and spam the MAP version of that song. :D[/spoiler:757166f40c]

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Forar wrote:
    I have the opening track to Robotech on my MP3 player, and sometimes the guy who DJ's a net radio station during our WoW raids will play it just because there are a couple of us who love it dearly.

The whole Robotech soundtrack is awesome,* I have it on CD. But yeah, we'd crank the volume at the start of an episode just for that theme music.

*with the obvious exception of any and all tracks with vocals

Tiemler on
  • Options
    DreamerdownDreamerdown Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Come on. No "Look up look up look up! The sky is falllllling......fallllling."

Man, what?!?

The original Japanese vocal tracks were superior to the English Robotech ones though.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love.
  • Options
    BedigumxBedigumx Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Tiemler wrote:
    Forar wrote:

The whole Robotech soundtrack is awesome,* I have it on CD. But yeah, we'd crank the volume at the start of an episode just for that theme music.

*with the obvious exception of any and all tracks with vocals

did the soundtrack have the slow piano version of "We will win". I know they played that song the episode after [spoiler:e458848c3b] Roy [/spoiler:e458848c3b] gets killed but I think I remember someone saying thats the only song not on the soundtrack

Bedigumx on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Speaking of Super Robot Wars, Ep 6 of Divine Wars features a slip in character-drawing quality in many scenes buuuutttt....
    [spoiler:b135151cd6]it also features Alteisen, Weissritter, Grungust Type 0, the Hiryu Custom and Cybuster. Oh, and the proper music accompany Alteisen and Cybuster. It's sweet.[/spoiler:b135151cd6]

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Speaking of Giant Robot Anime, Adult Swim is adding Voltron to their lineup starting this monday.

To be frank, I would have preferred Robotech, but still. VOLTRON.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Like many here, Robotech was my first real introduction to anime, and I loved every minute of it. It was so different from all the other saturday morning cartoons that you could watch.

As for giant robots, C'mon, who WOULDN'T want to pilot a giant, transforming robot with vulcan cannons and enough missiles to deforest the ENTIRE amazon rainforest in one go?

I'm going to have to pick up one of those models someday.

Oh, and special mention has to go to Gunbuster. One of the best Mecha anime ever, but with the most utterly utterly stupid defence mechanism of all time:

"BUSTEEEERRRR.... SHIELD-O!!!"

subedii on
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just a question..

Anyone remember a badly-dubbed mecha anime that passed on cartoon Network in the afternoon?

It was Super robotsor something,the US title.

JCM on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Since the old gundam thread has been closed down, I migth as well bring this question here. Does anyone know a good website where I can find translated scans of CrossBone Gundam? How about Five star stories?

Matthew on
  • Options
    Justin_BrettJustin_Brett Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I dunno about the rules of necro-bumping here, so If I offend anyone, sorry.

Gunbuster is an awesome series just because it's not even supposed to about the mechs.

The final episode being in black and white was also a nice touch, if unintentional.

Justin_Brett on
    This is my Signature....yeah.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I dunno about the rules of necro-bumping here

Then perhaps you should have checked the rules thread at the top of the page.

DarkPrimus on