Options

Anime Mecha/Giant robot discussion.

12346»

• Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Chicks dig giant robots. That is why giant robots kick ass, other than the fact that they are giant, robots, and usually have lots of guns and shit on them.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gunbuster is an awesome series just because it's not even supposed to about the mechs.

It's one of my favorites, as well. I love the story, the humor, the ship designs. The Gunbuster itself isn't among my favorite designs, it's more of a spoof of giant robot anime that I never followed, like Mazinger and such. But the Machine Weapons rule.
    The final episode being in black and white was also a nice touch, if unintentional.

Yeah, with 'Mars, Bringer of War,' from Holst's 'The Planets' playing over the battle. And the ending just rules.

The thing about that kind of somber, serious final episode is, it left an impression in many viewers' minds of what Gunbuster was like as a series, so that they didn't give Gunbuster 2 a fair shake. Personally, I loved the new series, and was surprised how well it evoked the feeling of the original once it got rolling. And again, awesome ending.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Matthew wrote: »
    Here's something I'm wondering. I love giant robot anime, but why? What is it that makes this genre so popular? What is it that draws people to it?

Also, what are you guys favorite Giant robot series? Real or super.

One of my current favorite's is the MazinKaiser OVA's. Great fun series! With Kouji, Sayaka, and, of course, the real hero of the entire Mazinger saga...Boss Borot. :lol:

Also i'm looking forward to the english release of Gaogaigar (Who knows when it'll be though, now i'm hearing early December).

Favorite mecha show ever is easily Gundam: 08th MS Team. Original Gundam is an absurdly close second.

I like the Mecha As War type series the most, and one of the reasons I really loathe Gundam SEED is that it pays lip service to the deeper meanings found in the original Gundam while completely missing the point. I saw Eva for the first time a few months ago, and came to the conclusion that it's a giant robot show for people who really don't like giant robot shows. Since I really enjoy Gundam, Robotech, Transformers, etc. it was not really a show for me. It was good, don't get me wrong, but not the be-all end-all of giant robot mecha that people told me it was.

I also have an unhealthy love for G Gundam. It's not a good show by any stretch of the imagination, and there's almost negative character depth. However, I firmly believe that it is the most fun anyone can have watching Gundam, because it's so completely insane and hilarious. I mean, a dude nuking giant robots with a scarf is just made of awesome.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2007
    Tequila Gundamn.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Also, any mecha fan worth their salt should import the game Another Century's Episode 2 by From Software for PS2. An abbreviated list of mecha in the game:

-vGundam (Char's Counter Attack)
    -God Gundam (G Gundam)
    -Wing Zero, Deathscythe Hell Custom, Heavy Arms Custom, Tall Geese, Gundam Altron, Gundam Sandrock Custom (Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz)
    - GP01, GP02, GP03 (Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory)
    -Skull One and other Veritechs (Robotech)

There's also tons of bots from shows I don't even recognize. One that was pointed out to me was 2 bots from Ora Battler Danbai. The campaign mode is also made of awesome, as it blends the stories of Stardust Memory, G Gundam, Na Na Nadeisco, and Macross into a huge story arc, with all the disparate mechs and pilots housed on the Albion from Stardust Memory as well as Lieutenant "I'm more badass than you" Burning giving out the mission briefings.

To give you an idea, the opening video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntbvGbNZL2k&mode=related&search=

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I like the Mecha As War type series the most

Then you need to watch Armored Trooper VOTOMS now.
    Also, any mecha fan worth their salt should import the game Another Century's Episode 2 by From Software for PS2.

Love the concept, but from watching gameplay vids, I get the distinct impression that it doesn't measure up to ZOE2, for instance. So the moment the novelty wore off, I'd lose interest.

Edit: Okay, so it'd take a long time for the novelty to wear off. These videos keep getting cooler. Between this and Front Mission 5, I really need a modchip or swapmagic soon.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    I like the Mecha As War type series the most

Then you need to watch Armored Trooper VOTOMS now.
    Also, any mecha fan worth their salt should import the game Another Century's Episode 2 by From Software for PS2.

Love the concept, but from watching gameplay vids, I get the distinct impression that it doesn't measure up to ZOE2, for instance. So the moment the novelty wore off, I'd lose interest.

Edit: Okay, so it'd take a long time for the novelty to wear off. These videos keep getting cooler. Between this and Front Mission 5, I really need a modchip or swapmagic soon.

The gameplay is reminiscent of Federation Vs. Zeon DX, except about a thousand times faster and with tons upon tons of weapons. Also remixes of every single series' main theme is present (White Reflection and Flying In the Sky are personal favorites), and that's pretty neat right there. Honestly, I played a lot of mecha games whilst I was in Japan, and ACE 2 is easily the best of them.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Also remixes of every single series' main theme is present (White Reflection and Flying In the Sky are personal favorites), and that's pretty neat right there.

I noticed that in the gameplay vids. Using the 'Do You Remember Love' theme over the assault on Bodolza in the Macross segment was a nice touch.

How mixed-up are the mecha from different series? It seemed like each level was set in a particular series, and played out faithfully apart from the Albion's presence and the player's choice of mecha.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    Also remixes of every single series' main theme is present (White Reflection and Flying In the Sky are personal favorites), and that's pretty neat right there.

I noticed that in the gameplay vids. Using the 'Do You Remember Love' theme over the assault on Bodolza in the Macross segment was a nice touch.

How mixed-up are the mecha from different series? It seemed like each level was set in a particular series, and played out faithfully apart from the Albion's presence and the player's choice of mecha.

From what I could tell, pretty faithful, except that there's lots of interactions between characters from different series. Hearing Heero talk about Domon Kasshu and Amuro Ray is pretty cool, and the shouts of joy when Amuro shows up in vGundam is pretty awesome. There's also a lot of crossover in the mission briefings. It switches from Lt. Burning to a couple of characters from Na Na Nadeisco for a bit, then to generals from original Gundam, then to this weird mustache guy from a series I've never seen, then back to Burning.

Scenes in-game do play out accurately, as in the beginning of the game when you go through the storyline of Stardust Memory. However, there's a lot of elements within the missions that are used to link together the stories, like when the Albion is out gathering forces and you hear rumors of a man named Domon piloting a mysterious and incredibly powerful Gundam. Hearing in-character fanwank for Amuro Ray and the cast of Robotech is pretty freakin' sweet, though.

LibrarianThorne on