• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    I don't want to drag the "legal searches" thread further off topic, but I am just incapable of believing Thanatos is right. :? Teachers acting nice to the guy who snitches on them? Bell ringer getting lawyers backing him up the moment the school does something he doesn't like? What the fuck?

American education.

Education is about toeing the line and learning how to fill out tests. How is America's system so wildly different that you can tell everyone how your teachers are corrupt motherfuckers without having to eat shit for years?
    Fear of litigation?
    Word of a teenager against the board of a school? That would never fly on this side of the pond.

Good for your side of the pond?

Next you're gonna tell me the sky is green and the grass is blue over there. :|

Nuclear power and Kentucky bluegrass.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I hear the Grinch died of complications from an enlarged heart.

Someone actually said something like this when my Dad died of an enlarged heart. "He must have loved too much," or something.

It comforted my mum but all I could think was '...really?'

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I can't hate all Christmas music.

I just can not.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will grudgingly modify my "all Christmas music is the worst shit ever to shit" to exclude the Grinch song

I like that song

I saw three ships.

Leitner on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I haven't heard it yet this year, either. Maybe after Thursday.

What's Thursday?

Tav on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Tav wrote: »

What's Thursday?

Thanksgiving in the U.S. The official start of Christmas in our economy.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ACLU sounds really amazing, I guess we have small organisations and NGOs acting local who sometimes try to protect the little man, but nothing on the scale of ACLU. Their total revenue and half a million members are a force to reckoned with, which is very nice.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

What's Thursday?

Thanksgiving in the U.S. The official start of Christmas in our economy.

Oh, right.

Our Christmas lights and crap were all put up in town two weeks ago to try and get people to spend cash.

Tav on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ugh, this teacher is so dumb. She makes all her students revise their paper for her class, no matter what. I got a B. I hate the book this paper is about. I don't want to revise shit. But if I don't revise it I fail the class.

Retarded.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Ugh, this teacher is so dumb. She makes all her students revise their paper for her class, no matter what. I got a B. I hate the book this paper is about. I don't want to revise shit. But if I don't revise it I fail the class.

Retarded.
    what book

Elendil on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Retarded.
    what book

Jane Eyre. :zzz:

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Retarded.
    what book

I have to do that for my criticism class. Except my paper isn't about Jane Eyre, so I don't mind it. My paper is about Venture Bros.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jane Eyre loved the cock. She loved it so fucking much. (Austen, 25-57)

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    oh

One day I should read one of those lady books

Elendil on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The ACLU is pretty rad.

Read up on the Scopes Monkey Trial in the 20s.

They've done tons more stuff, too, from defending KKK members to whatever else. They get a lot of hate for it.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I hate English. Why can't I take physics or accounting or something that I actually enjoy instead of English? D:

Tav on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I need to get me a nice Jonathan Swift collection

The coolest dude

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I need to get me a nice Jonathan Swift collection

The coolest dude
    Ah, the creator of dead baby jokes.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    The ACLU is pretty rad.

They've done tons more stuff, too, from defending KKK members to whatever else. They get a lot of hate for it.
    I read the wiki. :P Scopes is about the evolution, right? I thought the wiki said they lost that one.

And they even protect NAMBLA and the likes, that would take a huge amount of courage over here, I can only think of 3 or 4 lawyers who would even dare to touch a case like that*, no organisation or charity would want to protect outed pedophiles.

*OK, I don't know a lot of lawyers, but stilllllll

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    There is something comforting about the idea of an organization defending the Ku Klux Klan or NAMBLA because it's the right thing to do

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I hate English. Why can't I take physics or accounting or something that I actually enjoy instead of English? D:
    Because you would be a fucking bad accountant if you couldn't write properly.

And you'd be an unwashed scoundrel if you didn't know anything about literature.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Isn't Tav Irish

NO TAV LITERATURE IS YOUR PEOPLE'S THING

Aside from drinking, I mean

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Film and English usually cross-list courses.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm looking at job sites and getting the vague impression that I could be making a lot more money than I am right now.

Hmmm.

japan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Isn't Tav Irish

And immigrating to the USA.

--

I'm off to bed, I'm tired and lady friend didn't get online either. :(

Aldo on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There is something comforting about the idea of an organization defending the Ku Klux Klan or NAMBLA because it's the right thing to do

They've gotten so much shit for it over these last 8 years too. A friend of mine and mikemans' was accosted by some jackass because he had an ACLU bumper sticker.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man, some engines make some beautiful sounds. 11,000 RPM on a 1.6L DOHC 4, or 8,500 on a 1.3L twin-turbo rotary, or 4,000 on up on a 4.6L DOHC V8.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The ACLU is pretty rad.

I read the wiki. :P Scopes is about the evolution, right? I thought the wiki said they lost that one.

And they even protect NAMBLA and the likes, that would take a huge amount of courage over here, I can only think of 3 or 4 lawyers who would even dare to touch a case like that*, no organisation or charity would want to protect outed pedophiles.

*OK, I don't know a lot of lawyers, but stilllllll
    They only "lost" the case insofar as it was just a cut and dry thing. He did teach evolution, it did violate the Tennessee law at the time, and the judge ordered him to pay the absolute minimum fine of $100.

But they won the case in the eyes of the American public. Because that was the first court case to be broadcast over the radio, and thousands of people across the country tuned in and followed it. It was called the Trial of the Century for that reason.

And those thousands of people were listening in when Clarence Darrow made a fool of William Jennings Bryan by questioning him on Biblical Literalism.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

And you'd be an unwashed scoundrel if you didn't know anything about literature.

I can write well, I just can't compare and contrast the themes of cultural contexts in The Truman Show and Philadelphia, Here I Come

Tav on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    japan wrote: »
    I'm looking at job sites and getting the vague impression that I could be making a lot more money than I am right now.

Hmmm.

Some of that impression is skilled marketing.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    The ACLU is pretty rad.

I have a friend that works for them, and will eventually be law'ing for them or something once he finishes his social policy Ph.D studies.

But the ACLU apparently doesn't pay much, and Brandeis is like crazy expensive. Grad school debt is scary as hell.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Isn't Tav Irish

huh?

the more you know I guess

Tav on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The ACLU is pretty rad.

I have a friend that works for them, and will eventually be law'ing for them or something once he finishes his social policy Ph.D studies.

But the ACLU apparently doesn't pay much, and Brandeis is like crazy expensive. Grad school debt is scary as hell.
    Yeah, they're pretty underfunded. But that's awesome that your friend is going to work for them.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

I can write well, I just can't compare and contrast the themes of cultural contexts in The Truman Show and Philadelphia, Here I Come

You probably write pretty terribly. And if you don't, then you shouldn't mind English so much. I hate when engineering majors piss about having to take English classes when the vast majority write such fucking horrible papers that I can't believe they made it out of high school. They're the reason engineers get such a bad rap when it comes to writing skills.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Isn't Tav Irish

huh?

Irish literature is astounding.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    The ACLU is pretty rad.

Yeah, they're pretty underfunded. But that's awesome that your friend is going to work for them.

This makes me curious about how much the ACLJ pays. Buncha dirty fucks that they are.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    japan wrote: »

Hmmm.

Some of that impression is skilled marketing.

Hence the "Hmmm". I'm not completely sure how seriously to take the postings (these are agency sites, btw), especially since I'm fairly certain that at least some of them are for positions with my current employer and for those, the payscales are definitely exaggerated.

japan on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Retarded.
    what book

Hate that shit so fucking much. I took a "Womens Literature" class once. I figured it would be books about women, or the role of women in society, or something mildly interesting. No. It was nothing but classic literature by women who for some fucking reason thought that they should be anywhere but the kitchen and decided to blaspheme onto paper. These ill-advised pages were so dry that they made their obviously cobwebbed and unloved girl-bits look fresh and youthful in comparison.

TL DR on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Isn't Tav Irish

huh?