As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2071! (A Shadowrun Phalla) GAME OVER. Runners win!

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow. I thought there were way fewer bad guys killed than that. Shows how much attention I'm paying :P

Okay, I revise my opinion. Lacking conversion mechanics, the village is doing pretty well!

El Skid on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm betting there were 6 in each faction to start. With 60 people, that's a 1:5 ratio of bad guys to non bad guys right off the bat. Combine that with a fuckton of neutrals, some of which are probably incentivized to group up with a bad group instead of the runners (I don't really know), and you have a gray area holding the initial balance of power together.

The other possibility is 5 in each faction with conversions or 5 without conversions but with more neutrals than we are factoring on.

Or maybe I'm just totally wrong.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CodograzanWardCodograzanWard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    !The_Dagon

I don't know what he means by us being fucked, I thought we were doing pretty good with all of them dying left and right

CodograzanWard on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    With multiple mafia groups I'd say 7 per is more likely, to compensate for crossfire and lack of organization. The whole thing with bugs and conversions scares the crap out of me, as conversions always do.

I still have yet to confirm my pet conversion theory, but like I said in the Zombie phalla back in the day, if we've had certain people converted, then we've already lost, so there's really no point in worrying about it hehe.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I have a feeling this conversion stuff is a red herring.

Drez on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Dagon wrote: »
    Oh well, it's late enough, the vote is pretty solid, and that was my first time trying to go full out phalla lying like that. Live and learn I guess. This is the longest I've survived a phalla, so yay!

Yeah, I'm with Lonestar. And yeah, I'm an evil evil man. But honestly, I enjoy being evil. It's difficult, sure, but it's also pretty exhilarating. In fact, I think my best and favorite badguy was as the Setite in the latest Vampire phalla. I sent so many damn shady PM's, every night I thought I was gonna die. That Set sacrifice was pretty sweet, although I only did it because I thought it meant instant victory for the Setites.
    For the record, Drez, I only roleblocked you the last 3 nights. But you outed yourself too early, and you were an easy target. You were asking for it, really.

One more thing, this village is toast. Seriously. You are all so screwed.

Screwed.

Hey man. It's cool, it's cool. Look. We'll totally reverse the bandwagon and let you li... shhh... hide that gun behind your back man, don't let him see it... uh... let you live if you just, you know... Tell us all your secrets. It doesn't have to be like this. Despite the fact that we're not all on the same team, you could totally be on our tea... Dude, seriously, I know we're going to... look, just keep the concrete mix out of sight too ok... maybe he'll fall for this. After he talks... you know... yes, the bag of lye too. Anyway, as I was saying, we'll totally let you join the runners. There's tradition for it and everything. You just have to shoot everyone you ever worked for. And get a new ID made up, and change towns ... no man, I don't think we need to put his head on a pike. I don't know man, maybe they can trace us with DNA or some shit. We're just gonna shoot him, then give him a classic chicago burial. So. You were divulging all your secrets now yes? Seriously, what the hell is that cheese grater for?
    I sometimes get a cut out of cheese. It's sharp. Insert rimshot noise here, followed by thrown tomatoes.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Alternatively, if there is a conversion mechanic, some of us might be doing alright--if only we get converted!

piL on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Alrighty. Bout forty minutes to go. Vote count, no surprise here, with someone admitting to be a LoneStar agent:
    The Dagon: 21 Votes.
    Gumpy: 1. It's from The Dagon. How surprising.

8 people might want to consider new careers that don't involve being runners in a phalla. Or voting. Voting would be nice. Three of them posted today too. GEEET BACK HERE. Others... they've not posted since day three. May many horrible things happen to you. (Also, I hope nothing bad's actually happened to you, and that you had a safe and happy thanksgiving weekend. But still sad that you've abandoned us runners)
    Unless you are evil. Then just stay away and don't send PMs to Mr johnson. Sooner or later... we'll get you.

Finally: I post too much.
    But here's 1.08a.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just slipped out of my late class to make it in time for the end of the day. I'm going to try and look over the last few pages before the next 15 minutes is up, but if there are any subtleties I should be on the lookout for, let me know.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Never mind. Just clicked 5 pages back, and was instantly greeted by Drez's wall of votes. I always appreciate someone admitting to their crimes when I'm having a late day.

!vote Dagon

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ugh i should be studying for poli sci test but waiting for the narration is just to much fun :D

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bah, just barely missed the vote! D:

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well crap, I just realized I didn't vote earlier. I could have sworn I did, but oh well, too late now. Not that it would have had any effect whatsoever, short of vote manipulation there's no way Dagon is surviving tonight.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    oooh, there results are taking longer, i wonder what happened? Must be something big.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    Mr. JohnsonMr. Johnson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Unfortunate circumstances are delaying narration. I would not advise waiting up for it.

Mr. Johnson on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Everything okay?

Drez on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    what drez said

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Crap, forgot to vote. Oh well, I suck and hate school. Stupid final projects.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aye, I hope everything is okay. =(

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No narration? Hot damn ]=

Hope everything is OK over there

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The case looked desperate. Locus was dead, along with others who had been hand picked by him. The efforts had been cut back, partly from lack of manpower, partly out of fear. The dagon wasn't one to give up so easily though. He'd been locking up suckers left and right since this thing started. He was a machine, smooth and efficient. He was in his office, polishing his badge when his work commlink began to ring. This was odd for two reasons. The first was that he had told all the other officers he had gone home. The second was because it was coming from Wildcat's office, the one directly next to his. The dagon decided to let it ring. The answering service activated. "Hello! you have teached the comm of..."The Dagon"...This subscriber is currently unavailable, please leave your message after the tone!"

*Beep*
    There was heavy panting, and what sounded like water dripping into a pan. "Hey, asshole! I've got your little friend here. Well, what's left of him anyway." The voice sounded haughty, almost cocksure. The dagon could hear muffled curses and screams of rage in the background. "Look, we're on to your little plans and we don't like it one little...bit!"
    There was a muffled cry and then what sounded like..."Is that a fraggin woodchipper?" the dagon whispered to himself. It was in fact a woodchipper, and what started as a high pitched whirring sound soon turned into a low, uneven rumble of screeching gears and metal against bone. There was insane laughter and then the call abruptly ended.
    *beep*
    The window to his office crashed inward and a large, oozing sack flew in and collided with the desk. The resulting mess was unspeakably graphic. The dagon aimed his gun at the door and emptied his clip through it. Holes the size of baseballs provided a glimpse into the office outside. It was perfectly intact, aside from a few now ruined chairs. The dagon approached the door, reloading his gun. He crouched and pressed his back against it. He knew talking to these scum would be useless, his only chance to shoot his way through as many of them as possible before they could do too much damage to him. As he tried to stand to make his last assault, he noticed a warm feeling on his shirt. As he looked down he noticed a long, impossibly thin blade poking out from it.
    Izuvan was waiting outside of the bank. A low end establishment, the place had fairly light security. A security camera here, maybe an alarm or two, but nothin' too serious. He was waiting in front of the place, a crate of credsticks and other valuables under his arm. Devoutly Apathetic was late, and with an in-and-out operation such as this, Izuvan couldn't afford to waste any time. He saw the driver, hauling ass with three lonestar cars behind him. "Aw...shit" was all Izuvan could get out before one of the cops lost control of the car, slamming into him and spraying the precious nuyen into the sky. Devoutly apathetic crashed too, into a lonestar van which had pulled into the intersection to block his escape. He survived the crash, but was taken into custody.

Wildcat, Lonestar lackey-Makes a great mulch
    The Dagon, Lonestar lackey-Impaled
    Izuvan, Ganger-Crushed
    Devoutly Apathetic, Insect convert-Jailed
    Sportzboytjw was incapacitated!

Sorry for the delay. Things are manageable now. PMs are going out shortly

Mr. Johnson on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    PMs sent out. Inbox has been flushed. I'm going to bed.

Mr. Johnson on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow... that was fantastic. :^:

edit: And uh oh... DA was a convert. :|

Darian on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Started Good, sold out by Gumpy to bugs, then cops.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    By the way, I targeted Wildcat.

Yay!

edit: I guess I was wrong about converts. edit2: Apparently I'm blind and missed his bold, underlined text.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    OH SHITZ- CONVERSIONS D:

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hmm... wait, does that mean that Gumpy's been working with the bugs and cops?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That depends... how much do we trust the word of a jailed insect?

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Unless he was truly "converted" to it, and he was angry about having been converted.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I'm getting concerned suddenly. How are we going to root out converts? I don't think Gumpy's power can do that, can it?

Also, once their dead, their roles were no longer listed. I wonder if they keep their role-powers.

Finally, I think Devoutly Apathetic is going to be going to a very special prison. One that works more on IV drips and paracritters than bars and cuffs.

piL on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Okay, this is what I know. DA was a neutral that could win with any group EXCEPT Lonestar. DA and I had been in talks for days and he was helpful to me. I did float his name to two people - Gumpy and Frosteey - as him being a helpful person. I cannot, however, figure out how DA would know that Gumpy double-crossed him, if he did. I don't even know if they had communicated with each other whatsoever. He may have been guessing. It's also possible that after Krata outed himself, DA asked to be converted. That is possible, I don't know. I do think DA was on the level for most of the game, though. Which brings me back to my point. Can we assume that a seering is even worth anything? I mean Inquisitor seered Frosteey, but wouldn't that make him a perfect conversion target? Frosteey has also been somewhat hostile in nature toward me which just may be his personality, or maybe something else. Maybe HE sold out DA. The only other thing I can aay is that Gumpy called out The Dagon AND Wildcat who I finally managed to kill last night. So I am inclined to trust him at least in being willing to help the runners. However it's entirely possible that he similar to DA and can win with the insects OR the runners BUT NOT lonestar. Thoughts?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    To be wholly accurate, Frosteey brought DA up to me first as an "unknown" and I expressed that killing him would be very bad. When I mentioned DA to Gumpy, he responded that DA wasn't worth killing. Another thing - I'm on my Kindle which makes it difficult to search and I cannot remember - was Maximus an insect or lonestar?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Don't trust Frosteey? I get that feeling as well, but it's just a feeling. I've got nothing to really back it up other than the same "rubbing me the wrong way" impression.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Maximus was an insect, for clarification.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thanks. Now, considering Gumpy has called out enemies in both baddie factions coupled with my conversations with DA, I am wholly unable to put his final comment into a framework I understand. Hmmpf. Maybe he was forced to say that. However I am willing to bet that DA was converted the night he was incapacitated. Wait a minute! Can someone go check the frequency at which pople have been "incapacitated"? I bet if it is a regular period (every two/three days) it is a prelude to being converted to an insect. Maybe some kind of cocoon stage? Which would make abotkin and Crownaxe insects, if I'm right. Sound plausible? If I were making converts, I might select little-known, minimally active posters too. They have a good chance of survivng for a long time as no one knows who they are.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    crap, let me look.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Day 3
    Day 4
    Day 7

Nay, there's no real pattern. Maybe they've been getting blocked?

But either way, we can't really assume that it's part of the conversion ability though. It's an interesting theory, but it could just be a regular incapacitation.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I spoke with Ahava, and she claimed to be a docwagon tech (which she was), and that she could guard people so that they went down a step in damage when attacked: killed -> incapacitated, incapacitated -> nothing. So there seem to be some attacks that incapacitate only, and some effects that turn kills into incapacitations.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh, and there was, of course, Devotly Apathetic on Day 8.

Well, I guess we could check by killing Crownaxe, Egos, and/or Abotkin to test the theory, that would give more information. (they're the people who have been incapacitated)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I forgot last night, Sportzboytjw was incapacitated as well.

That makes:

Day 3
    Day 4
    Day 7
    Day 8
    Day 9

The people still alive who have been incapacitated are:

Crownaxe
    Egos
    Abotkin
    Sportsboyjw

VThornheart on