â€œRunes of Magic
â€ is a fantasy MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) without monthly costs and free to download. Dive into Taborea, a magical world full of wonders and ancient mysteries. Meet mythical and dangerous creatures and solve the puzzle of the long perished kingdoms.
It's up to you to discover Taborea and write its history!
- Free2play: no monthly fees, free to download
- Regular updates with new content, e.g. classes, races, game modes and much more
- Extensive dual class system with six primary classes and a selectable secondary class.
- Versatile spell and attack combinations
- Over 1000 quests and comprehensive quest series with continuous storyline
- Integrated into an enthralling background story
- Freely accessible game world in atmospheric 3D
- Instanced and persistent dungeons
- Individually developed skills and spells
- Armor sets with special bonuses
- Dynamic item system: Upgrades with hundreds of runes
- Activatable PvP system (Player vs. Player duels) with arena battles and guild wars
- Server vs. server PvP
- Ranking system: ranking lists
- Mounts: various unique mounts
- Epic crafting system with the chance to improve existing items
- Housing from the beginning: personalization of houses through individual furnishing
- Guild houses in special zones
- Reputation system
- Scalable user interface based on the users preference (development of ones own add-ons possible)
- In-game map and radar system to find dealers, resources and quests easily
- Auction house: auction off and purchase in-Game items
- Teleporting possibilities per runes
- Controlling with mouse (point & click) and/or keyboard (WASD or arrow keys) is possible
There are six primary character classes in RoM. These can be further enhanced by choosing a secondary class later on; much like Guild Wars, your choice of secondary affects how you play your character by providing extra utility.
For information on Dual Class skills, please consult the RoM Wiki linked here
, which has a breakdown of the elite skills available and the type of function each class combo provides.
The Warrior is your typical armored fighter; Warriors can use all melee weapon types, and can equip shields and any armor except plate. Warriors use Rage to activate special abilities.
The Scout is a ranged fighter, utilizing bow/crossbow weaponry to fight from a distance. The Scout also has the ability to use small blades if needed. Scouts rely on evasion and leather armor for defense.
Rogues utilize stealth, speed, and all-around underhandedness to get the job done. Wearing leather armor and equipped with small bladed weapons, Rogues use sneak attacks and poisons to deal most of their damage.
Mages wear cloth robes, and obliterate enemies with the power of fire and lightning. There really isn't much else to say here.
Draped in cloth much like the Mage, the Priest can also carry around a shield while doing his holy work. Priests, as you would expect, are the healer class, casting an array of defensive and restorative magics. Priests also have the ability to defend themselves with Water magic.
Knights are a defensive class, being the only class able to wear plate armor. Knights can use one or two handed swords and blunt weapons, carry shields, and have a selection of holy spells that allow them to do damage as well as protect themselves and others.
This was on Youtube, and I felt it provided a good, basic overview of the game, so I'm including it here.
From the website & newsletter:
We are proud to announce Chapter II of Runes of Magic â€“ The Elven Prophecy. During the currently running Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles Frogster already showed parts of the new content, like the new region â€œWeeping Coastâ€.
As the name already suggests, one of the main elements of â€œChapter II â€“ The Elven Prophecyâ€ will be the introduction of the Elves as a playable race, coming along with a huge new background story, new regions and many new quests.
According to the legends, demons of human origin â€“ having degenerated into underworld beings under the influence of the runes â€“ forged an alliance with the nagas in ancient times. Together, these evil forces brought war and devastation to the world of Taborea. An alliance of elves and humans succeeded in banishing the demons into the void and drive back the nagas behind a magical wall. However, when elven prince 'Sigâ€™aylas' removed the holy sword 'Arclight' from the wall to defend his human truelove, the wall perished and the naga threat flared up once again.
That is not all, as there will be also two new character classes coming along with Chapter II. These two classes will add in as a perfect addition to the already huge possibilities of the dual class system.
If you are not interested in testing out a new class or race, you donâ€™t have to worry. New challenges await all experienced players in form of challenging dungeons, raid instances as well as new PvP modes. Due to all that new content, the level cap will be raised to level 55 for all characters with â€œChapter II â€“ The Elven Prophecyâ€.
Another new feature will be the pet system for the World of Taborea. Thanks to that feature, youâ€™ll be able to actively train your virtual companions, so that they can help you in future battles.
Who now thinks, that this would be all, is completely wrong, as the ambience of the game will also be enhanced. The new regions in special, but also the old territories will benefit from an improved graphics engine. Sound and Music will also receive improvements by the renowned sound-studio of Dynamedion, to further extend the game experience.
Already in August, we will deliver the first contents of â€žThe Elven Prophecyâ€œ, like the new region of â€žWeeping Coastâ€œ and raise the level cap to level 52 with this addition to the game.
Just as the base version of Runes of Magic and all subsequent updates, we will deliver â€žChapter II â€“ The Elven Prophecyâ€œ as a free download.
Release of Chapter II is planned for September in 2009!
Beside new Screenshots you will find a brand new trailer for Chapter II â€“ The Elven Prophecy on our website.
(This OP will likely change more as time passes)