As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pay for Opera, say Nintendo. Browser update to cost 500 points.

• Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, it's 500 that isn't even nessasary if you've already downloaded the thing.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    Luck3ySe7enLuck3ySe7en The ROKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    So... $5 for a great browser? Seems reasonable.

I don't pay for browsers.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. Are you a browser pirateer? I had to get internet explorer on ebay for $39.99 and that was a good deal. And most recently i got Firefox for 20$ on amazon. Wait a minute, someone's tryin to be sneaky..... o_O

Luck3ySe7en on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Meh, now that I have an EEE PC I never use the Wii's browser anyway.

Out of curiosity though, what does Wii Speak allow for the browser?

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    So... $5 for a great browser? Seems reasonable.

I don't pay for browsers.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. Are you a browser pirateer? I had to get internet explorer on ebay for $39.99 and that was a good deal. And most recently i got Firefox for 20$ on amazon. Wait a minute, someone's tryin to be sneaky..... o_O

it's a personal policy.

the internet is the same everywhere

Evander on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wonder how many people griping about paying for a browser are happily paying for Live?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Some things are worth 5$ and some aren't. It's that simple.

Djiem on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

And some people have different opinions about what is and what isn't.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

And some people have different opinions about what is and what isn't.

Exactly.

Djiem on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i like how so many people are saying "well if it has flash support, it'll be worth it"

but that really doesn't change the incredulity over browsers being free on the pc, now does it?

also, I'm not sure if nintendo is really the one to get "mad" at (though I'm pretty indifferent. $5? Pffft, whatever). I can't see Opera accepting a lump sum of cash for the software and letting nintendo freely distribute the product without paying some kind of royalty. Maybe $5 is "too much," but honestly, I get the impression that people would be in an uproar over a $1 price tag.

Also, opera on the wii has been $5 for a long long time now. Why the sudden rage?

Guek on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will happily pay $5 for this if it has updated Flash, I want to be able to listen to Radio3 on my TV.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The most stable, navigable, and user-friendly browser I have ever used is free.

Even when I was totally in love with my Wii, I can't say that I ever used the Opera browser for anything, except perhaps as a novelty. Trying to type with the remote... a disaster. And browsing my usual pages (gmail, forums, youtube, etc.) takes forever. I suppose this would be useful to someone, but even with the most basic, stripped down, PC I don't see how.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    Also, opera on the wii has been $5 for a long long time now. Why the sudden rage?

Though we are not sure this is the case, MY "sudden rage" is more about the fact that those who got it for free as a reward for early adoption when it was new would supposedly have to pay NOW for the 5$ they've never paid before. I'm not sure if this is the case, but if it is, that is pretty shitty.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Luck3ySe7enLuck3ySe7en The ROKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Even when I was totally in love with my Wii, I can't say that I ever used the Opera browser for anything, except perhaps as a novelty. Trying to type with the remote... a disaster. And browsing my usual pages (gmail, forums, youtube, etc.) takes forever. I suppose this would be useful to someone, but even with the most basic, stripped down, PC I don't see how.

This stable, navigable and user-friendly browser you speak of -- do tell? Netscape?

Luck3ySe7en on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Well, if you read the announcement as "everyone who paid for it gets it free, everyone who got it free pays for it now", then it feels like nintendo is going back on the free browser for early adopters. Obviously we don't lose the browser we already have, but it was assumed that once we had it we were entitled to all the updates. Maybe it is selfishness? Whatever.

Incidentally, there has been a lot of talk about "maybe it doesn't mean that". But, it seems weird to me to have it said that "If you paid for the first version of the browser, you don’t have to pay for this one". Since if it was just a normal upgrade you wouldn't even need to specify that the upgrade cost anything, and the browser stays at the same price. But, maybe it wasn't said that way in the original article and someone paraphrased it weird onto the tubes.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i like how so many people are saying "well if it has flash support, it'll be worth it"

but that really doesn't change the incredulity over browsers being free on the pc, now does it?

also, I'm not sure if nintendo is really the one to get "mad" at (though I'm pretty indifferent. $5? Pffft, whatever). I can't see Opera accepting a lump sum of cash for the software and letting nintendo freely distribute the product without paying some kind of royalty. Maybe $5 is "too much," but honestly, I get the impression that people would be in an uproar over a $1 price tag.

First off, Flash support would make the $5 a lot more palatable because it would be a significant value-add. To be able to, say, stream from hulu or Pandora to my entertainment center without having to hook up my laptop or PC would be pretty spiffy, and the Wii would be convenient for this. This is something that might actually be worth $5 to me.

And yeah, I think the sudden rage is from the mass of us here who waited in line for a Wii back towards launch, and have supported the console from the outset, which are the only people that are still going to have the free version, being charged for it now.

It's a way of pissing on your most loyal customers.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Though we are not sure this is the case, MY "sudden rage" is more about the fact that those who got it for free as a reward for early adoption when it was new would supposedly have to pay NOW for the 5$ they've never paid before. I'm not sure if this is the case, but if it is, that is pretty shitty.

You don't HAVE to pay for anything.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Wii browser has full usb keyboard support.

Also it is miles ahead of typing anything on the PSP or PS3.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Some people don't like the idea of paying for a browser they own for free, others bitch for bitching's sake.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I do find it pretty amusing that MS, the company that basically invented the idea of "free" browsing is the only one without a browser on their console.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My cousin asked me outright to get her "internet on the Wii". Not only because "the TV is bigger" but because "the computer is so sloooow!"

I won't refuse to get it for her, hell it's only 5 bucks and it might make her happy, but I need to get some education into that girl.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

This stable, navigable and user-friendly browser you speak of -- do tell? Netscape?

Firefox.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    5... 5 dollar....

5 dollar browsers....

It's go go going strong.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    OmegasquashOmegasquash Boston, MARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    My cousin asked me outright to get her "internet on the Wii". Not only because "the TV is bigger" but because "the computer is so sloooow!"

I won't refuse to get it for her, hell it's only 5 bucks and it might make her happy, but I need to get some education into that girl.

Tru dat. Or just run a defrag/reformat on her PC. My Wii browser was always slower than my PC (until I deleted it because I needed the space).

Omegasquash on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Let me see if I have this situation straight before I start calling everyone who's complaining completely insane.

You helped test a browsers release, and therefore received the browser free.

Now a new version of the browser, which you did not help test, is being released.

And there is a chance that if you choose to upgrade to this new version that you did not test, you will have to pay the price that the current browser has cost for over a year.

And you see something wrong with this.

Is this about right or am I missing something that would make that position anything other than retarded?

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I don't know where you have gotten this "it was free because we were testing it" thing from. I always considered it an early adopter gift.

I mean, we'll be testing this upgrade in the same way that we supposedly tested the old one (by using it until the novelty wears off).

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Usually I really enjoy the forums, but this thread is full of idiocy.

Just let me get this straight:
    - Opera was released as v1.0 at the launch of the Wii for free, partly probably as a beta test, partly as a gratification for early adopters

- Around 2 years later, a significant update comes up, one could say v2.0 (tabbed browsing alone would justify that) and you are actually bitching that you do not get it for free?

Then, to the people bitching about browser costing money - they always cost something. You are just apparently to daft to realise that you either pay it through the operating system (are you seriously thinking Apple and Microsoft don't roll the price into the OS price) and/or you are just putting the cost off onto other people - in most cases the people that actually spend their free time developing Firefox - and that time is never really for free. Free Software does not mean that the product is free, it means that everybody can join in and help improving the code by having the ability and possibility to gain inside into the system - when did you contribute the last time? Most likely never. IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT SHOULD BE FREE AS IN FREE BEER.

Personally, I paid for Opera when it wasn't free yet for the desktop and I would still happily do that, because that means that I support the people that work on the product and allow them to improve their product and drive innovation and perfomance. If not for the ruinious war between Microsoft and Netscape we might have by now much more companies competing and driving new developments in the field - something I would much rather see then the tragedy the market was in the late nineties/till 2005.

Edit: Removed stupid comparison.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Firefox.

You, sir, are a fool. Opera is faster, never crashes, and has far more customisability than Firefox.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    12gauge wrote: »
    - Opera was released as v1.0 at the launch of the Wii for free, partly probably as a beta test, partly as a gratification for early adopters

You didn't get this straight at all.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Threepio wrote: »

Ok, cross that out, it was gift for early adopters - why should you get v2.0 for free too?

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Ok, cross that out, it was gift for early adopters - why should you get v2.0 for free too?

It's always nice to give a gift that you can charge for later.

Perhaps we should avoid using the term "gift" - as it was listed as a "feature" the first time around.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    While it is lame that they are charging for this now, I would never use it anyway. I almost never browse the web on either this or my PS3, and I stream YouTube/Hulu/Netflix/My own shit through PlayOn or Media Sharing on my 360. I have absolutely no reason to even touch the Wii Opera Browser.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Wii browser has full usb keyboard support.

Also it is miles ahead of typing anything on the PSP or PS3.

including ps3's full usb keyboard support?
    and ps3's predictive dictionary is leagues better because it actually saves what you type so you whenever you type it again it'll be instant.
    not to mention the upgrade of the ps3 browser has all of the features of wii's except it's free.
    :/

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ok so let's look at my question again with it just as an "early adopter" gift.

You received something for free as an early adopter.

They then started charging for it.

Now they are releasing an upgrade for it, and there is a chance that if you choose to upgrade to the new version, you will have to pay the price that the old version has had for over a year anyways.

If you don't want to pay for the new features? Don't upgrade it! Or do, because right now we're not even sure if you'll need to pay for it if you do.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    If you don't want to pay for the new features? Don't upgrade it! Or do, because right now we're not even sure if you'll need to pay for it if you do.

Well yeah this is what is going to happen. This is the whining thread - if you don't like your username here's the place to ask tube to change it and he'll flip a coin.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Then, to the people bitching about browser costing money - they always cost something. You are just apparently to daft to realise that you either pay it through the operating system (are you seriously thinking Apple and Microsoft don't roll the price into the OS price) and/or you are just putting the cost off onto other people - in most cases the people that actually spend their free time developing Firefox - and that time is never really for free. Free Software does not mean that the product is free, it means that everybody can join in and help improving the code by having the ability and possibility to gain inside into the system - when did you contribute the last time? Most likely never. IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT SHOULD BE FREE AS IN FREE BEER.

Edit: Removed stupid comparison.

I'm not sure what the hell you're on about but it ain't right.

People are upset because an item that was previously free now has a cost attached to it. That's not very difficult to understand. The only caveat here is that the implementation of cost was rolled out gradually and the people who thought they would not be affected by the pricing of the software are now forced to deal with it.

Does it have to be free? No. Should it be free? That's debatable.

It is important to recall that those who initially received the channel for free could have reasonably assumed that after two years there would be continued support.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

But where does it say that people who got it when it was free now have to pay for the upgrade?

It doesn't.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Honestly if its a matter of choice its not that big a deal. Nintendo have done some dickish moves of late with their updates and blocking freeloaders etc, but i expect that from any company trying to prevent piracy on their console. The only time a software update charging me has pissed me off is that from Apple with the ipod touch, early adopters who hacked their machine found the extra applications that were present on the iPhone. Apple decide to officially charge £11.99 for something that was already there. If that wasn't bad enough, Apple promote the application store potential and shit but decide to charge early adopters £6 or so to be able to buy applications and put them on their ipod touch.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

Opera Wii -did- start as a beta test. Which is why it was free.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    are we absolutely sure that the existing version will no longer work once the new build is released?

Guek on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    are we absolutely sure that the existing version will no longer work once the new build is released?

I'm absolutely sure that the opposite is true.

As sure as anyone can be about these things.

I mean my old photo channel with MP3 support still works.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky