As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SR3 OOC] Megacorp Interests

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm also going to suggest investing a little in the Bike vehicle skill, but that's just because I'm imagining you going ramping off the top of a parking garage, driving down a building with awesome Adept powers, and leaping off the bike and using the bike and your body as seperate weapons to take out two guys at once.

I like your style kid!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love adepts. I never can help but see Adepts as like a cross between The Matrix and something even more awesome.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thematically speaking, I might suggest basic wepaons like a simple club, and maybe some Forearm Snap Blades (essentailly, think Wolverine-style claws, but not actualy implanted, rather just anchored to your wrist on an external sheath), for a gun if you want one I'd go simple and concealable over power (frankly with your concept, you wanbt to get in and get dirty anyway, if you're using a gun chances are it's got more to do with running the hell away than killing someone), maybe some Concussive, Gas, Smoke, or Gas grenades, and for armor, DEFINITELY go way, way light. Say, an armored vest with or without plates (I';d suggest without, it's lighter and easier to hide that way). You're an Adept, so no Cyberware for you, definitely, although some sort of recording device (so you can show off your awesome later, if you're so inclined) might be nifty.

EDIT: Then again, there's something to be said for a monofilament whp, although that's military-grade weaponry and getting caught with it is a one-way ticker to a six month prison sentence for a FIRST offense.

SECOND EDIT: Relative damages on those, for you, by the way:
    Club: (Str+1)M Stun (M meaning Moderate, meaning it fills in three wound boxes per strike)
    Knife: (Str)L (L Meaning Light, meaning it fills in one box)
    Forearm Snap Blades (Str)M
    Monofilament Whip 10S (ten meaning it doesn't rely on your Strength, and S meaning Serious, meaning it fulls in 6 boxes)

There are 10 boxes on your little chart for Stun, and 10 for Physical (physical is the kind of damage that kills you). So Light damage takes awhile to hurt someone too badly, Moderate is better, Serious is pretty unpleasant, and the worst, D, is Deadly, meaning it fills in TEN boxes and thus prett much is instant splattery unless you roll well on reducing it down.

Wounds can move up or down from their starting damage level based on the numbers above. The more successes over your opponent you get, the higher you shift the damage up from Light to MOderate, Serious, or Deadly. If they roll better than you, they can shift it downwards.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Haha, awesome. Yeah, I don't think my character would have access to anything that high-end. I do like the simple gun, armor, and the snap blades.

Edit: So I am thinking:

A : Attributes
    B : Adept
    C : Skills
    D : Ork
    E : Resources

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Those're all really cheap, too, so you shouldnt have any problem picking them up and having money left over for some interesting goodies like maybe a Docwagon account (in case you break a leg somewhere you can't get out of yourself).

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    D : Ork

Heh.

I don't know if you caught it, but for some power ideas, I listed this before:
    me wrote:
    4) Tons of other abilities that fit the bill. Boost Attribute/Improved Attribute for being beyond metahuman perfection. Improved Reflexes and Enhanced Perception for finding the way out quickly and fast responses to new changes, like seeing a truck move by to jump on, or oh there's a pipe to climb, or hey someone shot at me keep cool keep moving. Flexability for fitting through small holes, free fall for jumping off of tall things (2 meters ignored height of a fall, at .25 points per level, 1.25 points means you can run off a three story tall building and hit the ground with no ill effect). Great Leap will increase the distance you can jump, and give you extra dice for doing so. Sixth sense means that you will not be surprised. Traceless Walk means you do this all quiet as hell, without knocking stuff over, ignoring motion or pressure sensors, and without leaving tracks in the snow.

I personally think snap blades are silly, but that's just me. Something traditional would probably be cool. Also, your character might be able to make use of a whip pretty well (you can't actually start with a monowhip, but you can set yourself up for it down the line). A chain does (STR+2)M stun and costs 10 nuyen. A whip does (STR)L. And then there's stuff like Kusarigama (STR+1)M.

Those priorities seem pretty good. You're going to be broke, but that's part of the idea I suppose.

Edit: Eventually (not now though), maybe when you initiate which will give you another point of adept stuff to waste away with a point of essence, you should get yourself a point of cyberware. Some internal recording software (simstem!) would be cool. Also, there's a bioware enhancement called Enhanced Articulation. It's very awesome, gives you +1 to Reaction, and +1 die for Combat, Physical, Technical and B&R Skills.

piL on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Nice, I will definitely look into those powers once I get to that step of character creation.

Edit: Am I doing this right? I get 30 points to spend on stats, and then add on racial bonuses? If so, does this look like a good starting point?

Body: 8
    Quickness: 6
    Strength: 7
    Charisma: 2
    Intelligence: 5
    Willpower: 5
    Essence: 6
    Magic: 6
    Reaction: 5

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Looks about right.

Pretty exceptionally bright, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Looks about right.

Pretty exceptionally bright, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, it just seemed like having a high intelligence would really help with making the high-speed decisions a speedster would need.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh, like I said, it's definitely not a BAD thing.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hm, having a hard time wrapping my head around exactly how attribute boosts work.

Also, I can't find the great leap or flexibility adept stuff piL is talking about.

Edit: Fixed me typo.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Be more specific about Attribute bursts? Do you mean the Boost power, or something else that I don't recall after not sleeping for this long?

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Be more specific about Attribute bursts? Do you mean the Boost power, or something else that I don't recall after not sleeping for this long?

Yeah I meant to type boosts, typo on my part.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Essentially, every level of the power is one point of a "boost". So say you buy Boost Quickness 4.

Your natural Quickness is 6, so you'll do a test versus a target of 3 (half the un-Augmented rating). You'll boost it by 4 points (the level of the power), up to 10.

When the power wears off, you make a Drain Resistance Test at TN 10 (the augmented rating of the Attribute) to see if it exhausts you, basically. How nasty the Drain gets depends on how high you boosted your rating above your racial max.

Willpower is used to resist the Drain damage. so you'll be rolling your Willpower to avoid being tired out.

It's a Light wound if you boosted to no more tahn your Modified Limit, a Moderate if you boosted to your Racial Maximum, and a Serious if you boosted to anywhere up to 2x the maximum. these are all Stun damage, so at least it probably will never kill you.

Does that help?

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i feel like ghouls are given a bum rap by racists

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Says the man whose character LIKED that bum rap.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Essentially, every level of the power is one point of a "boost". So say you buy Boost Quickness 4.

Your natural Quickness is 6, so you'll do a test versus a target of 3 (half the un-Augmented rating). You'll boost it by 4 points (the level of the power), up to 10.

When the power wears off, you make a Drain Resistance Test at TN 10 (the augmented rating of the Attribute) to see if it exhausts you, basically. How nasty the Drain gets depends on how high you boosted your rating above your racial max.

Willpower is used to resist the Drain damage. so you'll be rolling your Willpower to avoid being tired out.

It's a Light wound if you boosted to no more tahn your Modified Limit, a Moderate if you boosted to your Racial Maximum, and a Serious if you boosted to anywhere up to 2x the maximum. these are all Stun damage, so at least it probably will never kill you.

Does that help?

That helps a ton. Now I just have to try to find the powers like great leap that piL was talking about. But I can't seem to find them in the PDF I bought off of the OP.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That'd probably be because they're in other books, I think.

EDIT: Found them, in Magic in the Shadows. Transcribing, one moment.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Flexibility
    Cost: .5 for one level, 1 for two levels.

Reduces difficulty of Escape Artist checks for the Athletics skill by 1 per level. Can also make it easier to fit into small places.

Freefall

Cost: .25 per level

Ignore 2 meters of falling distance per level.

Great Leap

Each level adds a die to a jumping check, and adds one to your Quickness for determining how far you can jump.

Sixth Sense

Adds one die to all reaction tests for Surprise per level of the power. ONly applies to Surprise.

Traceless Walk
    Cost: .5

You can move over soft surfaces like snow, sand, or thin paper and leave no trace, and you also make no noise from contact with a floor (though your clothes still rustle and such), applying a +4 modifier to anyone's hearing-based Perception checks to hear you. You will not trip ground-based motion or pressure sensors. You can't walk across liquids, but you could walk across, for example, deep snow without sinking.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    <3 Yeah, those all fit my character idea very well.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Definitely all credit to pIL for pointing them out.

I'm just the bookbitch here. *L*

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Okay, how does this look for skills?

Athletics: 6, Clubs: 4, Unarmed: 3, Pistols:4, Stealth: 6, specialization sneaking, Electronics: 5, specialization maglocks, Bike: 4, Intimidation:2, specialization physical.

Still looking at knowledge and language skills.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Potential Edges and Flaws you may want:
    Exceptional Attribute: Costs 2 points, increases your Racial Modified Limit for a given Attribute by 1 (great to get a little more Quickness later).

Aptitude: Costs 4 points, -1 target modifier to all tests made with a given skill (ie, you're just awesome at it).

Adrenaline Surge: Costs 2 points, you use the Rule of Six for Initiative, but recieve a +1 to all Combat or Perception tests in combat. You may choose when to use Adrenaline Surge, though if you activate it, you cannot turn it off until the combat ends or the danger passes.

Bio-Rejection: Gives you 2 points (because you're magically active), and makes it so you can never use Cyberware, and any organ or tissue replacements must be cloned form your own body. If that';s too harsh...

Sensitive System: Also gives you 2 points (for being magically sensitive), doubles Essence costs for implants.

Double jointed: Costs 1 point, unusually flexible, you get a -1 on Athletics tests for Escape Artist checks, kinda like one level of the Flexible power.

Lightning Reflexes: 2, 4, or 6 points, each level gives you +1 Reaction.

High Pain Tolerance: 2 points per box you want to ignore wound penalties from.

OR

Low Pain Tolerance: Your wound penalties always act as if you were one wound level worse off.

Quick Healer: Costs 2 points, reduse Healing Test difficulties by 2 after iother modifiers.

Toughness: Costs 3 points, gain 1 Body for purposes of resisting damage only.

Weak immune System: Gives 1 point, reduce your Body by 1 for tests to resist diseases.

Compulsive: Variable points, always a Flaw, essentially dependant on how bad you design your compulsion.

Impulsive: Gives 2 points, You throw yourself into danger without thinking it through, make a willpower test to avoid blindly jumping into the thick of things.

Phobia: Gives from 2 to 5 points, based on how common and severe the phobia is.

Sense of Direction: Costs 1 point, You always know where north is, and can't ever get lost unless someone knocks you out or blinds you or somesuch.

Braggart: Gives 1 pont, If you don't roll two successes on an Intelligence test anytime you get a chance to boast, then obviously whatever people are talking about, you did it better, sooner, faster, and with more style... and have to TELL everyone so.

Dark Secret: Gives 2 points, don't think I need to explain.

Day job: Gives 1 to 3 points, based on how many hours a week you have to spend at this job. It comes with an income, though!

Dependant: Gives variable points, according to needs and inconvenience of dependant.

Distrinctive Style: Gives 1 point, you've got some sort of flair or style that makes you dangerously memorable sometimes. Anyone who tries to track you down or look for you gets a -1 difficulty to do so because, well, you stand out in their minds.

Human Looking: Costs 1 point, you can pass for human... most of the time.

There are bunches more, of course.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    you might ocnsider dropping a couple points into an Etiqutte skill if he's part of a subculture.

Might also consider some biotech for first aid.

Other'n that, looks good.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I always recommend some form of Etiquette for all characters, because you're basically left hanging without it. Even a couple points (maybe specialize on top of that and such) is alright. If you don't have it at all though, you default to charisma, and it basically makes your life a pain in the ass.

Don't forget knowledge skills and languages! :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm almost done with a character sheet for Corinna. She could serve as a face-light in her present form.
    The fact that they require a steady diet of metahuman flesh really doesn't help either.

One possible way to run combat that I've seen used before is having each character state two actions they'd take during the current initiative pass. Such as, glitter rat the mage states his primary action will be shooting Timmy, the combat mage, and then lists how much combat pool he'll use and the modifiers. Secondary action, use the heal spell on cyber-dan, spell pool and modifiers. The primary action is what the character will do on their turn, unless something has happened to make it impossible, such as Bubbles the party troll tank throwing Timmy off the roof (can't shoot him then, right?). So instead, glitter rat does his secondary action, and tries to heal cyber-dan.

How this works, is once everyone has stated their primary and secondary actions, the GM goes through, makes the rolls on the PCs behalf, and then narrates what happens. This way, you have the entire intiative pass with both PCs and NPCs taking their complete turns in a single post. It makes things go much faster than PC 1 takes a combat action against NPC B. GM resolves it, and then we wait for PC 2 to check in, take their action, GM resolves, we wait for PC 3 to check in, etc.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    All right, Thread At Large: Of the four charactewrs i previously proposed, which ones do you guys like?

Jojo, the terrified-of-dying-a-horrible-bleeding-death weapons dealer?

Michael, the smooth operator?

Sammael, the somewhat incompetant fixer?

Or Summer, who might just have you all killed if you aren't making her enough money or if you make her jealous?

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've been on service calls or home eating lunch quick or etc. while checking in, so I haven't had a chance to read your concepts yet. :P

I'll check them out after work though.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In that case, updated skill list:

Athletics: 6, Clubs: 4, Unarmed: 2, Pistols:3, Stealth: 5, specialization sneaking, Electronics: 5, specialization maglocks, Bike: 3, Intimidation:2, specialization physical, Biotech: 2, specialization first aid, Etiquette: 2, specialization Seattle gangs (assuming we start there).

Knowledges:
    Safehouse Locations:3, Gang Identification:3, Smuggling Routes:4, Background Build/Repair Motorcycles:2, Parkour:4, Motorbike Racing:2. Security Systems: 4, Engineering: 3.

Languages: English: 4, lingo: Seattle street gangs, French: 3.

Edit: I like Michael. No one else has expressed interest in being the face of the group either.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    I've been on service calls or home eating lunch quick or etc. while checking in, so I haven't had a chance to read your concepts yet. :P

I'll check them out after work though.

*L* Well, I was asking the other players, too.

EDIT: Mostly because they're going to be pretty heavily affected by my choice if my character happens to get into the game.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think Michael is the most interesting out of the four characters. He sounds like he'd be a good, solid face.

The magic preponderance so far is amusing. I usually like fielding riggers with all sorts of neat toys, or sams with so much cyber that they pray they never run into a vampire, because 1 point of essence drain and that's it for them. ^_^;

Okay, Infidel, just to make sure we're operating on the same page, here's a sample character sheet for Corinna I threw together. How is this along the lines of what you're looking for in characters?
    Corinna St. John
    Elf, Shaman (Cat totem)
    Lifestyle: Low

Attributes:
    body 2
    quickness 4
    strength 2
    charisma 6
    intelligence 5
    willpower 5
    essence 4.45
    magic 4
    reaction 4

Combat Pool 7
    Spell Pool 4
    Astral Pool 8

Active:
    Biotech [5]
    Sorcery [6]
    Aura Reading [3]
    Conjuring [4]
    Cybernetics B/R [1/3]
    Negotiation/Fast talk [2/4]
    Etiquette/Corporate [1/3]
    Pistols [3]

Knowledge:
    Biology [4]
    Chemistry [3]
    Medicine [4]
    Biotech [4]
    Fences [3]
    Criminal Organizations [3]
    Safehouse Locations [4]
    Scrounging [3]
    Cooking [2]

Language:
    English [5]
    Sprethiel [2]

Spells Known:
    Heal (EC) 4
    Stabilize 3
    Detox 2
    Catalog 2
    Healthy Glow (EC) 1
    Hot Potatoe 2
    Improved Invisibility 4
    Trid Entertainment 2
    Lightning Bolt 2
    Stunball 3

Cyberware:
    Eyes, Cyber Replacement 0.20
    + Eyes, Microscopic Vis. 0.10
    + Eyes, Retinal Clock 0.10
    + Eyes, Thermographic 0.20
    + Eye, Rangefinder 0.10
    Knowsoft Link 0.10
    MultiSlot Chipjack 4 0.35
    Expert Chipjack Dvr [3] 0.30
    Smartlink II 0.50
    Transducer

Bioware:
    Nictitating Membranes 0.10
    Sleep Regulator 0.30

Gear:
    Ordinary Clothingx3
    Tres Chic Clothing
    Armor Jacket
    Secure Long Coat
    Jazzx10
    Long Haulx10
    Freeze Foam (1 liter)x4
    Freeze Foam Solvent (1 liter)x4
    Bio-Monitorx2
    Medkit Rating [6]x6
    Antidote Patch [6]x6
    Stimulant Patch [6]x6
    Tranq Patch [6]x6
    Trauma Patchx2
    Stimulant Patch [3]x3
    Stimulant Patch [2]x2
    Earplug Cell Phone
    Cyberware ToolKit
    CUS:Hip flask
    CUS:Cheap Vodka (1 liter)x3
    CUS:Cheap Gin (1 liter)x3
    Flashlight, pocket
    Binoculars, Low-Light
    Personal Comm Unit Rating [2]
    Restraints, Plasteelx2
    Shades, Low-Light
    ActiveSoft Gen. [3]3
    ActiveSoft Gen. [3]3
    ActiveSoft Gen. [3]3
    Cyberceck Carrying satchel
    Combat webbing

Weapons:
    Ingram Valiant Smart2
    Fore Grip
    Sling
    ammo:50-Rnd Clip (EX Explosive)
    ammo:50-Rnd Clip (Regular)

Ares Predator III
    Quick Draw Holster (Conc.)
    ammo:15-Rnd Clip (Regular)
    ammo:15-Rnd Clip (Gel)
    ammo:15-Rnd Clip (Flechette)

Morrissey Elan Smart2 (HOPist)
    ammo:5-Rnd Clip (EX Explosive)
    ammo:5-Rnd Clip (Flechette)
    ammo:5-Rnd Clip (Regular)
    Quick Draw Holster (Conc.)

Vibro Knife(EDG)

Vehicle:
    Yamaha Rapier

Edges/Flaws:
    Dark Secret->Organ legger (-2)
    Hunted Lev 1->Aztech (-2)
    Compulsive moderate->Drinking (-2)
    Bonus Attribute Point(WIL) (2)
    College Education (1)
    Good Looking and Knows It (1)
    Friendly Face (1)
    Extra Contact (1)

Contacts:
    Contact [1]
    Contact [1]
    Contact [1]

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well, here's my character so far:
    Lifestyle: Squatter

Body: 8
    Quickness: 6(7)
    Strength: 7
    Charisma: 2
    Intelligence: 5
    Willpower: 5
    Essence: 6
    Magic: 6
    Reaction: 6(8)

Combat Pool: 8

Active:
    Athletics: 6
    Clubs: 4
    Unarmed: 1
    Shotguns:4, specialization Enfield AS-7
    Stealth: 5, specialization sneaking
    Electronics: 5, specialization maglocks
    Bike: 3
    Intimidation:2, specialization physical
    Biotech: 2, specialization first aid
    Etiquette: 2, specialization Seattle gangs (assuming we start there).

Knowledge:
    Safehouse Locations:3
    Gang Identification:3
    Smuggling Routes:4,
    Background Build/Repair Motorcycles:2
    Parkour:4
    Motorbike Racing:2
    Security Systems: 4
    Engineering: 3

Languages:
    English: 4, lingo: Seattle street gangs
    French: 3

Adept Powers:
    Improved Reflexes: 2
    Improved Quickness: 1
    Enhanced Perception: .5
    Great Leap level 4: 1
    Free Fall level 4: 1
    Traceless Walk: .5

Gear:
    Sap
    Knife
    Club
    Streetline Special
    1 spare clip
    20 bullets
    1concealable holster
    Enfield AS-7 Shotgun w/ integrated laser sight, shock pad, gas vent II and a 50 round drum full of EX explosive rounds*
    Flashpack
    2 IR Smoke Grenades*
    2 HE offensive grenades*
    Ordinary Clothing
    Armored Jacket
    Earplug Cellphone
    Pocket Flashlight
    Wireclipper
    Climbing harness, kit, gloves and rope*
    Survival kit*
    10 day ration bars
    340 yen left.
    Items with a * indicate items that are worn for missions and not day to day.

No clue what to spend the rest of my money on.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    weapon fetish

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    well... i hadn't considered that a magic weapon in SR3 costs at minimum 190,000 nuyen. They're cheaper in 4e.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Giving those characters an once-over, they look right to me.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm almost done with a character sheet for Corinna. She could serve as a face-light in her present form.
    The fact that they require a steady diet of metahuman flesh really doesn't help either.

One kg a month, it's not too bad. My rigger probably made enough dead metahumans a month to feed all the ghouls in Seattle.

Edit: So I had another concept for a character if for whatever reason I suddenly lose want of the decker. Make a rigger, and make him super skilly. He would be The Engineer, and would be designed to basically fix anything. Enhanced Articulation for the extra B/R, all kinds of shops and kits so he can even fix guns and whatnot in the field. Demolitions too. On top of that, I was thinking of making super cheap drones (maybe not even wheeled!), and then basically packing around turrets to guard off certain ways as things go.

And yes, I would be a dwarf.

But for now, I'm still working on the Decker. I have him half done mechanically, and I'm going to go ahead and type up a basic background/concept just to formalize the deal.

piL on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor, you need to buy a lifestyle [page 61 of the rulebook].

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    maybe he doesn't have a lifestyle

maybe he's not even alive!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like that psycho black widow chick you made Krata. Sounds like it would be awesomer as an NPC though. My second fave is probably Michael also.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor, you need to buy a lifestyle [page 61 of the rulebook].

Oh right, hurm..

Squatter sounds about right.

Inquisitor on