As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [chat] and Catastrophe

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Haruki Murakami is pretty fun so far

Elendil on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kaminsky was alone in his Seattle apartment when he discovered a security vulnerability that could leave banks, online retailers, and ISPs open to hackers.
    Ooh, dramatic!

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, do people not get out at all or something?

Multiple people in H/A claiming they've never seen a red right turn arrow. WTF?
    What is a ‘red right turn arrow’? Do you mean ‘no right turns’, or something in the traffic light?
    It's a traffic light with arrows for making a protected right turn, as opposed to a protected left turn. It's identical to a protected left turn signal, but the arrows point right instead of left.

Thanatos on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, like I said, they can also be used in order to eliminate confusion over which light belongs to what lane, and make clear that a particular lane is a right turn only lane.

You would want to prevent right turns on red for intersections that are particularly busy, have poor visibility, or in which it is difficult to determine from the right turn lane what cars may or may not be coming into the lane you're pulling into.

I prefer Darwinism in that case.

DeShadowC on
    edited November 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Well, like I said, they can also be used in order to eliminate confusion over which light belongs to what lane, and make clear that a particular lane is a right turn only lane.

You would want to prevent right turns on red for intersections that are particularly busy, have poor visibility, or in which it is difficult to determine from the right turn lane what cars may or may not be coming into the lane you're pulling into.
    Yes, well, if you're going to kill yourself, doing it at a busy intersection is a great way to insure it costs other people a lot of money and a lot of inconvenience.

Thanatos on
    edited November 2008

What is a ‘red right turn arrow’? Do you mean ‘no right turns’, or something in the traffic light?
    It's a traffic light with arrows for making a protected right turn, as opposed to a protected left turn. It's identical to a protected left turn signal, but the arrows point right instead of left.
    I have no idea what you’re talking about, then.

We have green lights that indicate a single lane is free to turn, but no red arrows.

stilist on
    edited November 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    WELCOME TO MONTREAL

NO TURNING RIGHT ON RED
    Ever?

That's dumb.
    When you drive into Montreal there is a big sign that says that

I thought it was hilarious
    I think they actually made it legal in the province of Quebec, finally.

It's still illegal in New York City, though, and I don't think there's a sign.

Thanatos on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

If they'd raise the interstate speed limits to Autobahn levels, you wouldn't need other driving related Darwinism.

Alecthar on
    edited November 2008

We have green lights that indicate a single lane is free to turn, but no red arrows.
    This is because you're Amish.

Thanatos on
    edited November 2008

Yes, well, if you're going to kill yourself, doing it at a busy intersection is a great way to insure it costs other people a lot of money and a lot of inconvenience.

Survival of the fittest?

Elki if you're still in here, apparently the Iphone doesn't have a default passcode, so you have to sync it up with itunes to remove one.

DeShadowC on
    edited November 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »

If they'd raise the interstate speed limits to Autobahn levels, you wouldn't need other driving related Darwinism.

Honestly I drive way over the speed limit down the interstate, normally 90 in a 65, but would be against them raising the limit.

DeShadowC on
    edited November 2008

This is because you're Amish.
    Yes, the entire state is Amish.

stilist on
    edited November 2008

Survival of the fittest?
    It's cheaper and more convenient all around to have clearer road signs than it is to deal with the fallout from people misinterpreting the signs.

Though, Seattle seems to make a point of making their road signs as confusing as humanly possibly. I do love the arrows that point between two different roads, though.

Thanatos on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll try to take a picture of the red turn arrow outside of where I work tomorrow.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited November 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    The only really appropriate response to this is "no duh."

Thanatos on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Honestly I drive way over the speed limit down the interstate, normally 90 in a 65, but would be against them raising the limit.

When I had only recently returned to the states, I would find myself, completely unconsciously, heading toward 100 on parts of the interstates. It was just habit, hitting that cruising speed and going.

Alecthar on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've never seen one of these arrows either.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    At certain intersections in Alberta and California (and possibly other places permitting a right turn to be made during a solid red light, also known as "right turn on red"), a solid green right-turn arrow will illuminate underneath a solid red light to indicate that traffic coming from the right side of the intersection has a protected left turn (blocking traffic coming from the left side) and thus a right turn can be safely made.
    See, we have this.

stilist on
    edited November 2008
    It's cheaper and more convenient all around to have clearer road signs than it is to deal with the fallout from people misinterpreting the signs.

Though, Seattle seems to make a point of making their road signs as confusing as humanly possibly. I do love the arrows that point between two different roads, though.

Than seriously two options which do you think is more clear.

Option one, "No right turn on red" followed by a picture of a red circle.

Option two, a red arrow pointing right.

My point though was, if you choose to turn right on red when you can't clearly see whether its safe or not, you deserve what happens to you.

DeShadowC on
    edited November 2008
    I've never seen one of these arrows either.
    Yeah, I guess there are different traffic things in most states.

Seattle has the traffic/parking lane, the one-way two-way, and the signless intersection.

The latter is the one that scares me the most, though; I'm convinced that I'm inevitably going to die at one of those.

Thanatos on
    edited November 2008

My point though was, if you choose to turn right on red when you can't clearly see whether its safe or not, you deserve what happens to you.

The problem with your point is that there are people in the other car.

Alecthar on
    edited November 2008
    Elki if you're still in here, apparently the Iphone doesn't have a default passcode, so you have to sync it up with itunes to remove one.

Thanks.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited November 2008

When I had only recently returned to the states, I would find myself, completely unconsciously, heading toward 100 on parts of the interstates. It was just habit, hitting that cruising speed and going.

I drive around 40 miles each way down the interstate between home and work every day, so its honestly not worth it for me to drive slow.

DeShadowC on
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I bailed on Tropic Thunder after an hour.

I'll watch the rest some other time, but I thought it was kinda meh.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
    edited November 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Kinda like your mom.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited November 2008

The way some intersections are constructed, it's possible that you believe it looks clearly safe, when in reality it isn't.

And like I said, not all states use it for that purpose; some of them just use it to more clearly delineate the signal for the right turn lane from the other signals, or more clearly mark that the rightmost lane is, in fact, right turn only.

Thanatos on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nevada and Alaska are the states with the fewest google searches for "Kant"

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited November 2008
    The only really appropriate response to this is "no duh."
    Indeed.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »

Kinda like your mom.

My mom is not here to judge the relative merits of this particular film.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited November 2008
    rockstar-roasted-mocha.jpg

so good

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Podly wrote: »

I kant believe it.

Somebody Hi5 me!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited November 2008
    and the signless intersection.

Ok am I reading this correctly. Intersections with no stop signs, right of ways, or lights?

DeShadowC on
    edited November 2008

Prostitutes and soccer moms?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008

Prostitutes and soccer moms?

Soccer prostitutes.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited November 2008

I kant believe it.

Somebody Hi5 me!
    Awful

I was going to go with (Southern state) has the most, largely due to the widespread misspelling of "can't"

Elendil on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    it's HOCKEY mom

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited November 2008

The way some intersections are constructed, it's possible that you believe it looks clearly safe, when in reality it isn't.

And like I said, not all states use it for that purpose; some of them just use it to more clearly delineate the signal for the right turn lane from the other signals, or more clearly mark that the rightmost lane is, in fact, right turn only.

Fair enough

With your second point though, arrows on the road, plus green arrows instead of red ones, which I've actually seen, should work for that point.

DeShadowC on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    And compared with New York, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts, like ten states have a relative rate of search of about 0%

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited November 2008
    Wait no

West Virginia is the one I want

Elendil on
This discussion has been closed.