As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo 2 Appreciation Thread

2»

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Actually they'd be just better off dropping multiplayer from both Halo 1 and 2 in a remake. It'd cost too much money to work on multiplayer for 2 games. Much rather have online co-op.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    One of the maps names in the achievement list is Longshore.

What makes us think it's not that island map they added as DLC in number two? Don't be getting up my hopes just to crush 'em.

Because that island map was named Relic and a remake name would have something more to do with relics.

plus it makes sense because headlong was right next to some water.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If by Halo 2 multiplayer you mean Halo 1 campaign, yes i will appreciate that a whole lot.
    Playing through that on co-op with one of my best friends is definatly one of my favorite gaming memories.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Things they could do with Halo 1 without changing the game:

- Aim acceleration. Actually make the controls work instead of feeling like you're moving around a mouse cursor with joysticks.
    - Buttons could gain Halo 2/3 usability. In Halo 1, button stuff happens automatically. It should require you to hold a button for a bit to get out of a hog, for example.
    - Remaster the sound. The sound mix was broken in the original game.
    - add the handbrake to the hog.
    - add the ability to swap weapons with AI.
    - give the AI the knowledge they have in 3 (ex: they know to shoot at something with the hog turret if you look at it)
    - give the Chief an actual walk cycle for his animations
    - film support
    - flashlight doesn't have a battery
    - add skulls hidden to the levels

Halo 2:
    - remove the pop in
    - make it so you can actually save and turn on skulls after gaining them
    - tweak the scarab sequence in the city so it's more like Halo 3 where it's AI rather than a scripted moving room.
    - fix 343's animation

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ZuorZuor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I absolutely loved Halo 2's campaign. I played it in one day. I just had to continue. The multiplayer I haven't had a chance to try, I borrowed the game from a friend. I totally need to buy Halo 1 & 2 for my 360 and play them again. They're awesome.

Zuor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mn59EbNFrY

I always loved how people bitched that it wasn't in the final game, even though most if not all the setpieces are in the final game. And looking it, it's really bad in some parts (how the brute just stands there). And thanks to all those assholes, we didn't really get to see any early form of Halo 3, which makes me sad. I like seeing early versions of games.

Also sweet jesus was the first person walking over-exaggerated.

and then the E3 2004 demo, which we are still fucking quoting while playing online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSwnSPtXdO0

rocket hogs!
    WATCH OUT FOR COUNTER SNIPING

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I didn't appreciate Halo 2 so much as be pissed off by it. Fun physics from Halo 1? Gone. A decent weapon you could rely on? Gone (nothing carried enough ammo or was powerful enough in Halo 2 because they wanted to force you to pick up a bunch of different weapons; I hate that). Big levels that felt like big levels? Gone. A full campaign? Gone. And so on and so forth.

Despite how mad I was at Bungie, they did do a couple things very right. The matchmaking system was very good even if I did despise them for how horribly the various maps were balanced. And despite the texture popping, I think what they accomplished on the Xbox hardware was pretty impressive. What they did right in that game could never outweigh everything in it that pisses me off, though. Bungie indicated that there would be a number of things in the second game that never were put in and I will definitely remember that for a long time.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I didn't appreciate Halo 2 so much as be pissed off by it. Fun physics from Halo 1? Gone. A decent weapon you could rely on? Gone (nothing carried enough ammo or was powerful enough in Halo 2 because they wanted to force you to pick up a bunch of different weapons; I hate that). Big levels that felt like big levels? Gone. A full campaign? Gone. And so on and so forth.

Despite how mad I was at Bungie, they did do a couple things very right. The matchmaking system was very good even if I did despise them for how horribly the various maps were balanced. And despite the texture popping, I think what they accomplished on the Xbox hardware was pretty impressive. What they did right in that game could never outweigh everything in it that pisses me off, though. Bungie indicated that there would be a number of things in the second game that never were put in and I will definitely remember that for a long time.

Tell me exactly what they said was going to be in the final game that didn't make it in, because as far as I can tell the only thing cut was Live co-op, which was never promised.

The physics model from Halo 1 was based on bouncy spheres attached to models. It was also extremely laggy if you tried to put it into an internet scenario. Also, I don't think it would have been fun in Halo 2 to have a hog charge you and then you go flying 300 feet into the air.

And damn them for wanting variety in the weapons! I mean they should just have every Halo multiplayer match start everyone with pistols and set weapons-on-map to none.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

How about the dialogue that was farmed out to a 3rd party that had never seen the game?

"That cave is not a natural formation. Someone built it."

xzzy on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I must be in the minority, but I thought the campaign form Halo:CE was about 1000x better than the Halo 2 campaign.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    xzzy wrote: »

How about the dialogue that was farmed out to a 3rd party that had never seen the game?

"That cave is not a natural formation. Someone built it."

They'd probably have to keep that line, because now it's kind of part of the game.

They could alter that section so it looks more like a cave and less like PERFECTLY CLEAN FORERUNNER TUBE

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I must be in the minority, but I thought the campaign form Halo:CE was about 1000x better than the Halo 2 campaign.

The flood reveal in H1 is one of the best moments in gaming ever.

"Wait, I'm playing an FPS, and there's nothing to shoot. Why is there blood on all the walls?! What's going on!"

People making horror games would do well to study that mission.

xzzy on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    xzzy wrote: »
    SirUltimos wrote: »

The flood reveal in H1 is one of the best moments in gaming ever.

"Wait, I'm playing an FPS, and there's nothing to shoot. Why is there blood on all the walls?! What's going on!"

People making horror games would do well to study that mission.

I was so scared

even when I realized they were weak, I was still scared the first few times playing that level

MrDelish on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Tell me exactly what they said was going to be in the final game that didn't make it in, because as far as I can tell the only thing cut was Live co-op, which was never promised.

The physics model from Halo 1 was based on bouncy spheres attached to models. It was also extremely laggy if you tried to put it into an internet scenario. Also, I don't think it would have been fun in Halo 2 to have a hog charge you and then you go flying 300 feet into the air.

And damn them for wanting variety in the weapons! I mean they should just have every Halo multiplayer match start everyone with pistols and set weapons-on-map to none.

Remember before the first patch they released and how dual magnums were the third best weapon you could use behind the pistol combo and the BR + plasma combo? Man the game was so much more fun before the dual wield nerf and the BR + nade power boost (and less delay on the nades) and stronger beat downs. They really ruined the game by catering the the MLG BR only crowd...which they followed by doing the same thing with Halo 3.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

- Aim acceleration. Actually make the controls work instead of feeling like you're moving around a mouse cursor with joysticks.
    - Buttons could gain Halo 2/3 usability. In Halo 1, button stuff happens automatically. It should require you to hold a button for a bit to get out of a hog, for example.
    - give the AI the knowledge they have in 3 (ex: they know to shoot at something with the hog turret if you look at it)
    - film support

Halo 2:
    - remove the pop in
    - tweak the scarab sequence in the city so it's more like Halo 3 where it's AI rather than a scripted moving room.
    - fix 343's animation

All of these things would ruin the rough-edges charm that these games above a lot of others hold.

Don't fix what isn't broken. Halo 1 is still fun to play, mainly for nostalgia but the experience is still great.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Remember before the first patch they released and how dual magnums were the third best weapon you could use behind the pistol combo and the BR + plasma combo? Man the game was so much more fun before the dual wield nerf and the BR + nade power boost (and less delay on the nades) and stronger beat downs. They really ruined the game by catering the the MLG BR only crowd...which they followed by doing the same thing with Halo 3.

Oh yeah, I remember that SMG + Magnum was the best defense on Headlong 1 Flag.

They did need to up the grenades a bit, they were too weak to get anything done.

The BR WAS -way- overpowered in that patch. Holy crap. They've only said recently (like within the past 2 months) that they regret powering it up that much.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

- film support

Halo 2:
    - remove the pop in
    - fix 343's animation

All of these things would ruin the rough-edges charm that these games above a lot of others hold.

Don't fix what isn't broken. Halo 1 is still fun to play, mainly for nostalgia but the experience is still great.

The unintuitive controls give it negative charm.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The worst part wasn't really that they boosted the BR, but that they nerfed everything having to do with dual weapons and made everything about having a single weapon better. Beat downs = quick and easy with 1 gun slow and hard with 2 and they boosted their damage. Nades can't be used with dual weapons, so they punish you by making them blow up faster and hit harder. They nerfed the shit out of the damage for SMG's and the damage/accuracy of the magnums.

I used to easily take out a BR guy with 1 SMG and 1 magnum, not so much afterwards.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The appearance of not one but 3 button glitches soon afterwards sealed the deal, all 3 of which favored having a BR and only a BR.

BXR - instant kill with a BR at melee range. No need for a close range weapon.
    RXR - doubleshot. Make your BR full auto! no need for the hog turret or the sniper.
    BXB - super fast double melee. Don't have a BR yet? Well, it doesn't matter.

the horrible part is that MLG kids think Bungie actually put those button combinations in the game, and that they add 'skill' to the gameplay.

Halo 1 also had button glitches, but you could punch someone in the face if they used them.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

They did need to up the grenades a bit, they were too weak to get anything done.

The BR WAS -way- overpowered in that patch. Holy crap. They've only said recently (like within the past 2 months) that they regret powering it up that much.

The two things that didn't play out in Halo 2 that immediately come to mind was playing on Earth (one level? That's it?) and melee combos. There were some others, but frankly I just haven't thought about it in a long time so it doesn't really matter.

And who the hell mentioned pistols? Because I sure didn't. I guess having virtually every map turn into a weapons scramble is a vastly superior option to just giving people a decent weapon to start with. Plus I think the rock-paper-scissors view of weapons is total bullshit. Then you get shotguns that are completely ineffective past 15 feet and mounting frustration as you keep dying because you don't have the "right" weapon to counter a sniper rifle with. For all the bitching that people do about the pistol from Halo 1, pistol starts sure did a good job of keeping people from winning because they managed to grab the special weapon first.

Screw competitive play; I just want to be able to fight as soon as I spawn and not have to scrounge for something better.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Playing on Earth was 2 levels. and that is what it was always going to be. the last level was going to some sort of combination of the first 1 or 2 earth levels in Halo 3. Melee combos were dropped because it didn't work well.

And Halo has always been about the weapons rush. If you want everyone to start with the same weapon like competitive players do, you might as well go play Quake. And you countered snipers by sniping him or not running at him blindly. The only uncounterable sniper setup in Halo 2 was due to Burial Mounds' broken spawns.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

The two things that didn't play out in Halo 2 that immediately come to mind was playing on Earth (one level? That's it?) and melee combos. There were some others, but frankly I just haven't thought about it in a long time so it doesn't really matter.

And who the hell mentioned pistols? Because I sure didn't. I guess having virtually every map turn into a weapons scramble is a vastly superior option to just giving people a decent weapon to start with. Plus I think the rock-paper-scissors view of weapons is total bullshit. Then you get shotguns that are completely ineffective past 15 feet and mounting frustration as you keep dying because you don't have the "right" weapon to counter a sniper rifle with. For all the bitching that people do about the pistol from Halo 1, pistol starts sure did a good job of keeping people from winning because they managed to grab the special weapon first.

Screw competitive play; I just want to be able to fight as soon as I spawn and not have to scrounge for something better.

I did!

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would still totally take a Halo 1 System Link set up over any of the others, any day. Also, having been out of the loop for 2 years and not having an xbox 360, I've only played Halo 3 once at college, it was fun; i could still own everyone despite not knowing any of the maps or weapons...Maybe its just the change I'm not used to, if i get a chance to play it more I'll probably like it better.

But yet, going back, Halo 1 System Link will always hold a special spot in my heart.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man.

I was watching that E3 video on the last page. Is it just me or did it sound like they had Legends of The Hidden Temple as the music?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sorry I had to go guys, I had to play with some RL friends unfortuantly.
    That last stand round was sick, good hog driving :P

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The worst part wasn't really that they boosted the BR, but that they nerfed everything having to do with dual weapons and made everything about having a single weapon better. Beat downs = quick and easy with 1 gun slow and hard with 2 and they boosted their damage. Nades can't be used with dual weapons, so they punish you by making them blow up faster and hit harder. They nerfed the shit out of the damage for SMG's and the damage/accuracy of the magnums.

I used to easily take out a BR guy with 1 SMG and 1 magnum, not so much afterwards.

Dual SMG or dual spikers are incredibly deadly, especially if you surprise someone with them. Will beat an AR quite well, assuming the AR doesn't start at midrange. Against a BR, dual wielding is the same story as it was in H2.. you're fodder.

xzzy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    (Yes, I understand that there is a TBK thread [proud member here!], but it focuses only on Halo 3).

If you're a proud member of TBK how come I've never seen your gamertag online playing with us, and you never post in the threads?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    User Name v2User Name v2 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    (Yes, I understand that there is a TBK thread [proud member here!], but it focuses only on Halo 3).

If you're a proud member of TBK how come I've never seen your gamertag online playing with us, and you never post in the threads?

I played with you guys a bunch during the end of Halo 2's life cycle.

User Name v2 on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I dont like the way Halo 2 muddied the perspective. To me this would be my ultimate Halo game:

- 2 crashed ships, one covenant, one human.
    - The human ship is trashed, but the covenant one is in better condition, and they have reinforcements coming to wipe out human survivors
    - Its up to the MC and 500 surviving marines and crew to fight thier way towards and onto the covenant ship, and take off before the covenant reinforcements arrive.

I understand this doesnt involve the Halos or the Flood. Which is exactly why it would be good. A nice focussed story that showed the MC knee-deep in a battle against an entertaining and threatening foe, with a very specific focus and goal. Free up the narrative for more characterisation and less planet-hopping 'turn off the reactor by pressing this button' bullshit.

I wanna see soldiers dying in the cheif's arms, desperate pushes across valleys of the enemy, vast convoys speeding towards an epic last ditch siege; swarming a downed covenant cruiser, killing every last one of the mother-lickers before getting the hell out of there, with whats left of your men.

All this ceaselessly confusing star-wars epic space opera mess just gets in the way of the core badassary of the Halo universe: the MC, his babe, and his tough-talking multi-ethnic gung-ho marines.

Prohass on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

So you were a proud member. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    User Name v2User Name v2 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

So you were a proud member. :P

umm yeah i guess =/

User Name v2 on
  • Options
    Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Multiplayer in halo2 had a really easy learning curve, it actually made me a bad sniper (i was godly in halo:ce) since everyone else caught up to me, and the game does half the sniping for you. That said, since everyone had a chance at killing even the best player, even with the worst weapon (lol needler), and that communist factor made it really fun for all.

Single player you shouldn't talk to me about, Elites were fun to kill, the juiciness that splashed out when you shotgunned them was extremely satisfying, then we had Brutes, big nasty rats who rushed you and clubbed you, there was nothing entertaining or cool about them. They did improve them in halo3, but... still big rodents. Also flood continually got more lame, melee can't be used to kill a stray infection form now? :(

Halo2 was the weakest of the 3 games, the easy to pick-up and play multiplayer made it very popular though, meaning i always had people to play with, which was brilliant. It was however full of cheaters as soon as you got over level 30.

Delicious Steve on