As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

High speed rail!

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Could freight even be done at these speeds? It seems like most of the ride would be spent speeding up or slowing down.

MKR on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    TheMarshal wrote: »
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    I've ridden the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto. It was about a 3.5 hour trip, very comfortable. The night bus ride back? Very much less so.

I will do fucking backflips if this ever sees the light of day, but the truckers union is going to fight it pretty hard too.

Why would they fight it? Will this rail system be used for commercial purposes as well?

It has the potential to, and that's bad enough. The trucking industry is a massive lobby in this country with its hands in all kinds of shit. They will be leading the fight against this system, whether you hear about it or not.

No, it doesn't have the potential to. The weight of a freight train would cause the tracks to neck and make maintenance all that more frequent and expensive. This is solely for passenger rail, and would help freight carriers a great deal. Less commuter trains on the normal track fucking you with scheduling, and less cars on the highway fucking you with traffic. The only downside to high speed rail is cost of implementation. That's it. Otherwise it's just an argument over where the tracks should run, and what city deserves a stop along the way.

moniker on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It seems odd they wouldn't have another corridor running from AZ through Texas to connect farther east.

Ganluan on
    edited November 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Could freight even be done at these speeds? It seems like most of the ride would be spent speeding up or slowing down.

Technically it could, and if we were talking maglev it might not even have maintenance problems. We aren't, though, and the won't.

Besides, most manufacturers that use freight have a federated supply chain rather than one major central hub. You aren't going to need to send shit rocketing at 300 mph across the great plains, because there's another factory over there making the same shit anyway. This is why there are Toyota plants in Tennessee.

moniker on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Those routes wouldn't come even close to being able to replace trucks.

Also needs a connection between Omaha and Denver.

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2008
    Ganluan wrote: »
    It seems odd they wouldn't have another corridor running from AZ through Texas to connect farther east.

That isn't an actual map.

moniker on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Why are Canadian routes on that map?
    There is a rider attached to the bill for our annexation.

Actually, that's just a map people here put together.

Actually that's not far off. The rest of the provinces got together, and we all decided we didn't need southern Ontario. In fact they seem to be dragging down our economy pretty badly. In these tough economic times you have to make some tough choices, so we're starting by selling southern Ontario. This map is just the first indications. We're still don't understand why Montreal wanted to join in the deal as well. In return we're getting some undisclosed concessions, and a couple more NHL expansion teams.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's a great idea, but I'm in the camp of "improve my commuting options first". I would kill for commuter rail or busing options to change my 40 minute drive (35 miles) to 40-60 min ride where I could read or play DS. I don't mind my commute - with podcasts and audio books it can be a relaxing transition from work to home - but having someone else do the driving would be great.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's a great idea, but I'm in the camp of "improve my commuting options first". I would kill for commuter rail or busing options to change my 40 minute drive (35 miles) to 40-60 min ride where I could read or play DS. I don't mind my commute - with podcasts and audio books it can be a relaxing transition from work to home - but having someone else do the driving would be great.

This is a totally separate issue from inter city travel and really is a city/state deal, although I'm certainly in favor of the federal government helping out the major metropolitan areas that need it.

geckahn on
    edited November 2008

Yeah, I'd like that too, but it's more of a state problem. Which is why I don't agree much with the chat thread map, it does too much work for the states and completely abandons the Northern US.

FyreWulff on
  • TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If this system were in place I'd definitely be taking more weekend trips down to LA. It's either a $100 round trip ticket or a 6 hour drive each way. I'd be glad for something in between.

TheMarshal on
    edited November 2008
    geckahn wrote: »

This is a totally separate issue from inter city travel and really is a city/state deal, although I'm certainly in favor of the federal government helping out the major metropolitan areas that need it.

Although some metropolitan areas spread across state lines. Chicago hits Wisconsin and Indiana, and Metra does service Kenosha. Hell, the suburbs of Milwaukee and Chicago technically touch. The only difference is how much cheese each household owns.

moniker on
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    meh, never gonna happen

oh, and MONORAIL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q44IDYpEeso

illig on
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Yeah, I'd like that too, but it's more of a state problem. Which is why I don't agree much with the chat thread map, it does too much work for the states and completely abandons the Northern US.

northern US? like the northern great plains? nobody lives there, so we didn't cover it. That map is tempered by some reality, as it was made to not be completely outlandish

geckahn on
    edited November 2008

That's because humanity has largely abandoned the northern US.

earth-at-night.jpg

moniker on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    illig wrote: »
    meh, never gonna happen

oh, and MONORAIL

Black president?

meh, never gonna happen

(The point being, you never know. This is an idea that can generate a great deal of traction with the American populace.)

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
    edited November 2008
    meh, never gonna happen

Why wouldn't it pass an overwhelmingly Democratic Congress? Not to mention the fact that a lot of Republicans are from the suburbs, which would still benefit from this sort of thing. We are an urban nation, and high speed rail is beneficial for urban populations.

Plus you can buy off the rural locales with improved broadband access.

moniker on
    edited November 2008

northern US? like the northern great plains? nobody lives there, so we didn't cover it. That map is tempered by some reality, as it was made to not be completely outlandish

Like the completely missing connection for a south trans-atlantic route? Instead we're going to sacrifice redundancy and create more bottlenecks by forcing everyone through Denver?

The routes for the OP are just bad. Would you want to take that San Antonio -> Seattle trip?

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2008

Like the completely missing connection for a south trans-atlantic route? Instead we're going to sacrifice redundancy and create more bottlenecks by forcing everyone through Denver?

The routes for the OP are just bad.

Even including a cross continental route was a bit of a stretch, but because of Denvers importance it was thrown in. High speed rail is for regional travel, anything farther then that and you should get your ass on a plane.

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of these trains.

geckahn on
    edited November 2008

Like the completely missing connection for a south trans-atlantic route?

That would be one hell of a bridge.
    Instead we're going to sacrifice redundancy and create more bottlenecks by forcing everyone through Denver?

The routes for the OP are just bad.

No, you're just expecting people to abandon airplanes; which is never going to happen, nor should it. You don't take a train from Dallas to LA. You fly.

moniker on
    edited November 2008
    except it already takes 3 days via passenger train to go from the middle of the country to the west coast

FyreWulff on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If this is affordable and on time, great.

But my experience with Amtrak is that their trains are neither affordable nor on time.

tofu on
    edited November 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    If this is affordable and on time, great.

But my experience with Amtrak is that their trains are neither affordable nor on time.

I know there's an Amtrak station around here, somewhere.

It's pretty much been a failure.

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2008
    except it already takes 3 days via passenger train to go from the middle of the country to the west coast

then cut out the denver connections. problem solved?

geckahn on
    edited November 2008

No. Because you can't take a train to the middle of the west coast, you have to go all the way down to Los Angeles if you want to get to Seattle.

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2008

So pretend that Denver and Salt Lake City don't get purple lines.

moniker on
    edited November 2008

No. Because you can't take a train to the middle of the west coast, you have to go all the way down to Los Angeles if you want to get to Seattle.

what moniker just said. I dont think you understood me.

geckahn on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

While I agree that historically this would be a city/state deal, I think we're at a point now where interstate commutes are very common. It's less a convenience or public works issue and more a national security/economic issue. If part of a stimulus package was having the feds fund projects to reduce fossil fuels then I could see smaller projects like commuter rails/bus lines would be a great way to stimulate the economy in some areas.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    meh, never gonna happen

oh, and MONORAIL
    Thread fails for its title not being the lyrics to this, and for not having this video in the OP.

As someone who will be riding the Amtrak to OKC Wednesday night for Thanksgiving, I am in favor of virtually any plan that expands the capabilities of passenger train companies.

SithDrummer on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm in for LA to Vegas, but why is the map showing a stop in Victorville? Who in the world goes to Victorville (assuming they have bathrooms on the train)?

BubbaT on
    edited November 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I'm in for LA to Vegas, but why is the map showing a stop in Victorville? Who in the world goes to Victorville (assuming they have bathrooms on the train)?

not at all on purpose, thats just following the highway. I'd assume a LA to LV would be direct.

geckahn on
    edited November 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »

It's MS Paint. This is the same reason why the Chicago station is partly underwater and 40 miles in diameter.

moniker on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Add a line from Portland to Salt Lake down I-84 and I'm all for it.

Fats on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    meh, never gonna happen

oh, and MONORAIL
    Thread fails for its title not being the lyrics to this, and for not having this video in the OP.

As someone who will be riding the Amtrak to OKC Wednesday night for Thanksgiving, I am in favor of virtually any plan that expands the capabilities of passenger train companies.

I was dying to post this <3

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How is this a 1.5 billion measure when the Californian ballot measure to build a new high speed train from San Francisco to LA (which is probably the route most needed anywhere in the US) was a ballot measure for 9.5 billion?

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited November 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »
    How is this a 1.5 billion measure when the Californian ballot measure to build a new high speed train from San Francisco to LA (which is probably the route most needed anywhere in the US) was a ballot measure for 9.5 billion?

It's 1.5 billion direct financing, plus 10 billion in tax free bonds.

This is also the rough draft, and I'm sure we're going to see plenty of changes before we get to a final version.

geckahn on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A northern route through South Dakota to the west coast could probably do alright, if for no other reason then the tourist locations along that way. Train travel to the Black Hills? I think it would rake in the money.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wish the U.K had this, we have the worst rail system I've ever fucking seen.

Johannen on
  • YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Johannen wrote: »
    I wish the U.S. had this, we have the worst rail system I've ever fucking seen.

YosemiteSam on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Johannen wrote: »
    I wish the U.K had this, we have the worst rail system I've ever fucking seen.

Obviously you have not used the rail system in Canada and the US. The UK's system is a complete joy to use, and on the plus side you can practically get anywhere in the UK by train... not so over here.

oldmanken on