As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bigoted charity?

2»

• SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Student political groups tend to be dumb because smart people who want to be involved in politics while in college get involved in big boy politics.

Yeah, my girlfriend (who often takes care of CF kids who have received lung transplants, and still rarely make it to 30) will be annoyed when she gets this link

Eh. It seems as though being involved in the college republicans/democrats has been a pretty good line into real politics for more than a few of my former classmates.

Speaker on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just to check. I mean I'm pretty sure any statements in here that fall along these lines are sarcastic but I can't help but take this issue literaly:

Prejudice can be bi-directional. It's well established in psychological literature. The idea that you cannot be racist against the majority is, I'm afraid, lunacy, and anybody advocating such a thing needs to be heavily frowned upon.

I mean no offense, just take this as a too literal just checking sort of thing, I can't help it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just to check. I mean I'm pretty sure any statements in here that fall along these lines are sarcastic but I can't help but take this issue literaly:

Prejudice can be bi-directional. It's well established in psychological literature. The idea that you cannot be racist against the majority is, I'm afraid, lunacy, and anybody advocating such a thing needs to be heavily frowned upon.

I mean no offense, just take this as a too literal just checking sort of thing, I can't help it.
    Well also it's demonstratably guilty of exactly the kind of unbelievably broad strokes we point commonly point out are the problem of racism. Because last I checked cystic fibrosis was not an unusual lifestyle disease that only affected trust fund kiddies.

electricitylikesme on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Well also it's demonstratably guilty of exactly the kind of unbelievably broad strokes we point commonly point out are the problem of racism. Because last I checked cystic fibrosis was not an unusual lifestyle disease that only affected trust fund kiddies.

Yes that's the underlying reason behind the bidirectionality of prejudice.

Btw, prejudice and racism are the same in this context. Racism is prejudice against a groupings genetic features.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

You're absolutely right, but unfortunately the waters get muddied by white racists who claim that equality means they're being discriminated against. Its basically the same phenomena as religious people arcing up over having to make concessions to the secular world, or sexist men complaining that having to compete with females is unfair.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • AS_hellionAS_hellion Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just think it is odd to think of diseases like this at all. Just about every disease strikes some group more than another, even if the differences are mild. In some cases, the differences can be drastic (see any x-linked disorder), but trying to find some disease that affects both genders, every ethnicity, and every age group equally is retarded. CF is a shitty disease, and more should be done to help the people that suffer it. It shouldn't matter that it is more prevalent in certain populations (in this case people of Northeastern European descent and Ashkenazi Jews).

AS_hellion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, it reminds me of when the first drug that worked better for africans than caucasians for some condition (heart related? Can't remember) came out, and everyone in the US was freaking out about whether it was racist to tailor treatments to your genetic profile. There was even a House episode that mentioned it, I think. And it was fucking stupid, because why wouldn't you want medical care to meet your body's needs exactly?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited November 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Yeah, it reminds me of when the first drug that worked better for africans than caucasians for some condition (heart related? Can't remember) came out, and everyone in the US was freaking out about whether it was racist to tailor treatments to your genetic profile. There was even a House episode that mentioned it, I think. And it was fucking stupid, because why wouldn't you want medical care to meet your body's needs exactly?

Yeah, it was a combo drug of Isosorbide dinitrate/hydralazine (tradename BiDil), used to treat congestive heart failure. This was rather big news in the medical community since blacks respond less well normally to other drugs for CHF (such as ACE inhibitors) than Caucasians. So at least in that respect, it not like it wasn't known that different groups can have variations in physiological response. This is just the first real success at finding a way for everybody to receive an efficacious treatment.

AS_hellion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Firstly, I lost a little brother to CF and uh... pretty much fuck that student council or group or whatever and anyone else involved in that decision. Like, fuck them so much.

Secondly, If you are going to stop helping one charity so you can focus on another, let's not try and downplay or belittle or make racist judgements about the charity which you are getting rid of. Just fucking start supporting another one, and maybe put a little effort into proofreading your justifications for getting rid of the old charity.
    This is fucking stupid.

Shinerama is a brilliant drive to take advantage of drunken idiocy and male posturing and other college mating rituals, turning it all into money for medical research.

If they want to support something else, they should lobby for that; I would understand wanting to support research for a more widespread disease. But cystic fibrosis is a fucking nasty disease, and certainly it's better to use Shinerama for that than nothing.

CF is pretty damn widespread. I mean, if you wanna get your money's worth as far as how many people your donation would affect... This is a good one to throw a few bucks at. And, um, the research that has been funded over the past 18 years or so has done wonders so far. Used to be a kid couldn't expect to even make it to adulthood. For instance, my brother died at age 3 and a half. Now, people with CF regularly make it to their twenties and even thirties, as I understand.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
    edited November 2008
    We have done wonders to treat the symptoms of CF. Unfortunately, it being a genetic disease means we sort of hit a brick wall in terms of actual treatment (short of organ transplantation). The next step (not anytime soon) would be gene therapy, though research for that would benefit a host of diseases, not just CF.

AS_hellion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Heh, I knew I would find some voices saying "yeah, fuck those privileged white males and their CF" among the usual suspects.
    I submit that the only reason the mainstream response is so disproportionate, is that white men were the target of this councillor's motion and for once, they were innocent (at least marginally). And the response is to crucify, beyond reason, the perpetrator who had the nerve to take a swipe at white masculinity.
    I guess my parody on the previous page wasn't so far off the mark :P

Andrew_Jay on
  • Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That forum page was an interesting read, seems that many people defending the CSU's decision mistakenly believe that the resultant media uproar is over changing charities when it is, of course, about their justification for doing so.

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    AS_hellion wrote: »
    We have done wonders to treat the symptoms of CF. Unfortunately, it being a genetic disease means we sort of hit a brick wall in terms of actual treatment (short of organ transplantation). The next step (not anytime soon) would be gene therapy, though research for that would benefit a host of diseases, not just CF.
    Therapeutic cloning might help a good deal at some point in the further off future. If we could generate lung tissue that was a perfect match, just without the genetic defect.

electricitylikesme on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

And unfortunately, even organ transplantation isn't a cure all. Beyond the problems inherent in organ transplantation itself (immunosuppressants, graft-host/rejection, etc) its pretty common for CF symptoms to come back in the new lungs. The first funereal I went to with my girlfriend (that was one of her patients) was a 18 year old who had managed to get a lung transplant 2 weeks after her identical twin died of it at age 7. It bought her 10 years of semi-normal life, but its borrowed time. (And if you had asked me her ethnicity, I probably would have said vaguely Asian, certainly not a white male aristocrat)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited November 2008
    PantsB wrote: »

And unfortunately, even organ transplantation isn't a cure all. Beyond the problems inherent in organ transplantation itself (immunosuppressants, graft-host/rejection, etc) its pretty common for CF symptoms to come back in the new lungs. The first funereal I went to with my girlfriend (that was one of her patients) was a 18 year old who had managed to get a lung transplant 2 weeks after her identical twin died of it at age 7. It bought her 10 years of semi-normal life, but its borrowed time. (And if you had asked me her ethnicity, I probably would have said vaguely Asian, certainly not a white male aristocrat)

Indeed, but even now it is the best we can do with current technology. Otherwise it is a (short) life of pulmonary therapy, antibiotics for the pneumonias, and enzyme and insulin replacement therapy for the pancreatic insufficiency.

AS_hellion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So what's to stop the student body from running this event anyway, donating the money to CF research, and telling the student union to go fuck themselves?

Just curious. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Seems like someone making this decision and statement (linked in the OP) should have though first what the reactions would be to something like this...

A general question on the specific subject:

Is the life expectancy still as low as around 35+ years? I have a friend who has CF and he doesn't really have any symptoms (that show at least). He's fit and athletic as a tiger.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited November 2008
    Honk wrote: »
    Seems like someone making this decision and statement (linked in the OP) should have though first what the reactions would be to something like this...

Is the life expectancy still as low as around 35+ years? I have a friend who has CF and he doesn't really have any symptoms (that show at least). He's fit and athletic as a tiger.

Depends on the specific mutation. There are several associated with CF, and depending on which combination you have (being a recessive disease, you need mutant versions from both parents) the severity can change. Also the fact that the life expectancy is around 35 is pretty amazing. Not too long ago kids wouldn't have made it past 10.

AS_hellion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Honk wrote: »

Depends on the specific mutation. There are several associated with CF, and depending on which combination you have (being a recessive disease, you need mutant versions from both parents) the severity can change. Also the fact that the life expectancy is around 35 is pretty amazing. Not too long ago kids wouldn't have made it past 10.

Okay I see. I know very little of the disease, I just read wiki said 36 years, and that's what I was told 11 years ago in relation to said friend.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited November 2008
    The Cat wrote: »

You're absolutely right, but unfortunately the waters get muddied by white racists who claim that equality means they're being discriminated against. Its basically the same phenomena as religious people arcing up over having to make concessions to the secular world, or sexist men complaining that having to compete with females is unfair.

That's not exactly the same though, as it's more subtle. Granted, people can twist words. But it's easy to see through that kind of weasel wording with a little education/information.

That sort of thing is called implicit discrimination/prejudice in the literature. As opposed to the more blatant (explicit) sort of prejudice I was talking about above. Both categorisations get a similar amount of research/study time.

I'd go so far as to say the type you speak of is given more emphasis in recent years, since as far as affecting a persons psychological wellbeing goes, there's no difference between the two. People are just as affected by subtle versus blatant prejudice. Perhaps even more so, because in many cases the affected person feels it would be "unreasonable" to object to it.

Morninglord on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Heh, I knew I would find some voices saying "yeah, fuck those privileged white males and their CF" among the usual suspects.
    I submit that the only reason the mainstream response is so disproportionate, is that white men were the target of this councillor's motion and for once, they were innocent (at least marginally). And the response is to crucify, beyond reason, the perpetrator who had the nerve to take a swipe at white masculinity.
    I guess my parody on the previous page wasn't so far off the mark :P

Well, the danger facing our particular community due to CF was the subject of last months White Male Good Old Boys Club meeting.

Speaker on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, that was my response. "They dare swipe at my whiteness and masculinity?! I will now increase oppression 46%!!"

Yar on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is that what was going on? I was just there for the mint juleps.

moniker on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    Well, the danger facing our particular community due to CF was the subject of last months White Male Good Old Boys Club meeting.
    I heard it narrowly won out over lung cancer for our support.

The clincher was the fact that if you start worrying about lung cancer, you're basically saying we shouldn't be lighting our cigars with $100 bills.

Andrew_Jay on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Speaker wrote: »
    I heard it narrowly won out over lung cancer for our support.

The clincher was the fact that if you start worrying about lung cancer, you're basically saying we shouldn't be lighting our cigars with $100 bills.
    Don't say that, dude. Don't even think it

Rent on