As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy - 'Coz we can't stick to Dissidia.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If that isn't the best goddamn thing I've ever seen, I don't know what is.

FFXII + FFX-2 combat? Holy shit good call, Square.

Anyone else get an FFVII vibe from the trailer/color scheme/etc?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That looked crazy, but beautiful. Since I don't have a PS3 or 360 yet, Atlus might decide which I eventually side with, but I'm sort of leaning towards PS3 at the moment.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If that isn't the best goddamn thing I've ever seen, I don't know what is.

FFXII + FFX-2 combat? Holy shit good call, Square.

Anyone else get an FFVII vibe from the trailer/color scheme/etc?

Actually, I'd say FFXIII has been giving off a strong FFVII vibe. Which isn't a bad thing persay as long as it doesn't try too hard.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really liked FFX-2's battle system (love job classes and the way you switch is pretty cool) but the story and "girl power" theme drove me fucking nuts.

aBlank on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There we go, that's some of what I wanted to see from a FF13 trailer. Actual gameplay!

So far so good on the battle system. Menus are a definite plus, and it certainly seems fast paced and fun judging by what's on that trailer. Nothing in the story so far has disagreed with me, so that's good.

I guess now we know that bullets in the FF multiverse are definitely made of sponge.

Schide on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love everything about X-2

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't remember, is the PS3 and 360 version supposed to release at the same time in the states?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That trailer is so confusing. I mean, it looks awesome, but they keep throwing out more and more names of stuff without any kind of explanation of what they might be. I just kind of blanked out at the end.

God I hope I get the demo from Play-Asia.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    AsianGirl.jpg

Third girl. Looks like a mix of Yuffie and Rikku, but with an even shorter skirt (or is that a speedo?). She's hot, that's all I can say.

OrangeDude.jpg

New guy. I'm not too sold on his design, but something tells me he'll only be a temporary party member. We already got a big, strong male character in the group (Snow).

Goggles.jpg

The young boy character. Like some people have said, he looks a lot like Cid from the shitastic FFU. Maybe this'll be a do over with the character.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    Apparently if you're ever casting one of the big fancy spells like flare or holy, then all other spells start up a queue.

Because of this Fran was taking upwards of 18 seconds to land a single heal, waiting for the holy animation to start and properly finish before she could cast.

Only way I found to help that is to change from Wait to Active in the menu screen, but then you end up getting your butt kicked while you're choosing a spell. Alternatively, turn the battle speed way down because regular attacks will still go during the spell animations. Turn it up when you want a lot of attacks to go, turn it down when you need spells to happen a lot without getting pounded. Changes to the battle speed can be done at ANY time, and take immediate effect.

For me, its my biggest gripe with the game (lack of story development after Bur-Omicase being #2) and why I didn't bother to do the extreme endgame. I wanted to cast big flashy spells, and the game's engine punished me too much for doing so.

Menasor on
    Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I, uh, didn't really care for the trailer. First of all, I wish the damage numbers stayed with the entity that produced them, instead of being tacked to the camera. It's really distracting. Also, there's a lot of flash-in-the-pan, but I have no idea what's going on. I can't tell if it's Devil May Cry style direct action or totally menu based.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I, uh, didn't really care for the trailer. First of all, I wish the damage numbers stayed with the entity that produced them, instead of being tacked to the camera. It's really distracting. Also, there's a lot of flash-in-the-pan, but I have no idea what's going on. I can't tell if it's Devil May Cry style direct action or totally menu based.

It's kinda weird. It's obvioulsy based on menu commands, but it seems like the timing of your attacks might have an impact on your "combo".

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    jynxycatjynxycat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Also, there's a lot of flash-in-the-pan, but I have no idea what's going on. I can't tell if it's Devil May Cry style direct action or totally menu based.

I'm gonna assume that it was just how the trailer was cut. Lots of quick shots, of different battles. I honestly couldn't tell what was going on either, but still, the CGI looks good, the atmosphere looks convincing, and the characters look semi-normal for once.

Not like I needed it from this trailer, but I'm sold.

jynxycat on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »

I agree with you on this.

Just this one thing, mind you!

But this.

Furu on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Furu wrote: »

But this.

X-2 deserves more love.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The trailer was cool and all but come on, a big countdown like that to get everyone riled up and its just ANOTHER trailer? Jeez. I was hoping for a release date or something. And Im not sure how the combat works but it looks pretty badass. Cant wait for it.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So does anyone else think that with the worldwide release of that trailer (and with subs) that maybe, at the very least, we'll get the demo in NA alongside ACC:C the same time as Japan?

I'd like to think this trailer release portends something of that nature, because if I recall Square NA has never released an FF media the same time as Japan.

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Maddoc wrote: »

But this.

X-2 deserves more love.

X-2 was good, the story was shit, but the game itself was really good.

mastrius on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

But this.
    Mwahahaha! Soon you shall agree with me on everything!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So does anyone else think that with the worldwide release of that trailer (and with subs) that maybe, at the very least, we'll get the demo in NA alongside ACC:C the same time as Japan?

I'd like to think this trailer release portends something of that nature, because if I recall Square NA has never released an FF media the same time as Japan.

If this is the case then I really hope they announce it soon so I can cancel my order at Play-Asia. I would like to play the demo in a language I can understand.

If they are releasing the demo in NA, won't it just be the PS3 version? I thought development on the 360 version hadn't even started.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    From what I know theyre finishing the PS3 version and then theyre going to work on the 360 version.

mastrius on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

But this.

X-2 deserves more love.

X-2 was good, the story was shit, but the game itself was really good.

No, the story of Star Ocean 3: Til the End of Time was shit. The story of FF X-2 was also probably shitty, but that's okay because that's exactly what the game wanted it to be.

This is a game punctuated by magical J-Pop concerts. You can argue against the game's very existence and be justified in doing so, but individual elements are harder.

Wait, not all of them. Fuck Sphere Break.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Fuck Sphere Break.
    Sphere Break was awesome. I'm sorry your third grade math skills aren't good enough to appreciate it. :P
    Kidding, of course. ...well, that second part, anyway.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't remember what Sphere Break was at all because I haven't played the game since a bit after it came out.

I don't know if I ever will again because the story and characters and tone were just really awful and annoying.

Schide on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've had Clash on the Big Bridge in my head for a week and I never even got that far into FFV.

Gilgamesh should show up more often, I think. In secret parts of games, that is. Like a boss for a hidden dungeon. And it'd always be the same one, tearing his way through dimensions with the sword he took from Odin in FFVIII.

Daft idea, but what idea of mine isn't?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    I've had Clash on the Big Bridge in my head for a week and I never even got that far into FFV.

Gilgamesh should show up more often, I think. In secret parts of games, that is. Like a boss for a hidden dungeon. And it'd always be the same one, tearing his way through dimensions with the sword he took from Odin in FFVIII.

Daft idea, but what idea of mine isn't?

I don't know you have a good point here. Gilgamesh has generally been the same in most of the FF's, hasn't he? Which is odd because all repeating characters(like Sid, Cid) other than some summons/epsers have changed between games, but Gilgamesh is very similar.

Topia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well that's because Gilgamesh has a valid excuse for being in each game.
    He hops between dimensions in order to challenge different warriors.

When they kick his ass, he goes and makes a replica of their weapon in order to brag about beating them.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Reznik wrote: »

If this is the case then I really hope they announce it soon so I can cancel my order at Play-Asia. I would like to play the demo in a language I can understand.

If they are releasing the demo in NA, won't it just be the PS3 version? I thought development on the 360 version hadn't even started.

There is not any announced release date for Advent Children on BR in the US, and given that only the first shipment, and only a special version of that shipment is coming with a demo, I'd be surprised if the US sees a demo before *MUCH* closer to the US release...most likely in 2010.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That would be yet another failure on Square's part, and a common trend I'm really sick of seeing with NA demos.

The idea of a demo is for you to experience the game, along with getting a chance to try it early. This bullshit where some demos come out a month or even a WEEK before its official release ruins the number two point.

Remember when we got to try FFVII and FFVIII a year before release? You can see where I'm getting at here.

Anyway, official store page for ACC:C is up.

http://www.square-enix.com/jp/store/ff7acc/

Shit yeah, blood! No more "characters who never get hurt" arguments.

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Fuck Sphere Break.
    Sphere Break was awesome. I'm sorry your third grade math skills aren't good enough to appreciate it. :P
    Kidding, of course. ...well, that second part, anyway.

I loved sphere break. I also love the card game in FF VIII, that shit was too addicting. I also loved blitzball in FF X. Well...maybe i didnt love it. I only played it because if I wanted Wakkas ultimate I HAD to play it. So I did. It grew on me during that forced playing but after I got his weapon I never felt the need to do it again. Sadly they fucked up Blitzball in X-2 and made it some awful bullshit. But anyways, sphere break was fun and I loved sitting there trying to beat the ultimate dude for that dress sphere thing. Or...I think thats what theyre called.

Oh, and you know whats funny? In FF X I got fucking 199 lightning bolts. Fuck that noise. Never tried again after that. (Its not that I was hit at 199, I was counting and thought I had 200, but uhh....guess I miscounted. It was funny too because I was totally saying how funny it would be if someone got 199 in the lightning thing. Figures.)

mastrius on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I just watched the trailer for 13. Everything from the art design to the dialogue was just an awful awful mess.

Prohass on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Prohass wrote: »
    So I just watched the trailer for 13. Everything from the art design to the dialogue was just an awful awful mess.

Did the trailer have the token black guy? If not, that's probably why it was so bad.
    Also, nobody can hate the crazy robot twin Shiva lesbian scissoring bike. One of their faces is the seat.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    AsianGirl.jpg

Third girl. Looks like a mix of Yuffie and Rikku, but with an even shorter skirt (or is that a speedo?). She's hot, that's all I can say.

Thoughts of a :winky: nature are going through my head.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    She reminds me a lot of Seth from Lost Odyssey, just not as cool looking and not 1000 years old with a badass old-man pirate son. Even her stance is the same. If it is indeed her in the trailer saying "This is their best? They're no match for us!" even her personality is similar.

b003.jpg

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Isn't a bad thing, Seth was my favorite character and had a pretty cool design.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man they're not even trying a Fantasy setting anymore.

Might as well give the heroes lightsabers.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

Hello, sir, and welcome to 1997!

Rust on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

You mean they're not trying a medieval setting.

Lightsabers are still a fantasy.

However I agree, I much prefer medieval/steampunk fantasy to modern/future settings.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like having a futuristic setting, although I prefer a "dirty" future to a future where everything is clean, slick and shiny.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I like having a futuristic setting, although I prefer a "dirty" future to a future where everything is clean, slick and shiny.

I don't know...I kind like it. But I tend to like more modern/futuristic setting where people don't seem like they're living in the Dark Ages, it is a welcome change of pace to me as far as JRPGs go. And really...I've been kind of burned out on medieval settings for a while now.

Dragkonias on