Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Final Fantasy - 'Coz we can't stick to Dissidia.

15758596062

Posts

  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I had that. The artwork for the Ninja Gaiden II one was even better, if memory serves.

    Jragghen on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My uncle has that and it's really cool.

    I found a digital copy but I don't know if it's legal to post...I always like perusing these old mags that treated 8-bit video games so seriously, giving them great exaggerated artwork.

    The last pages frustrated me because they didn't show you the last boss or tell you what happened at the end (as simple as the game was, it was surprisingly interesting when I did find out). Look at this, they don't even show you the last room:
    chaosyt4.jpg

    Level 27? :lol: How times change.

    Still, strategy guides were different back then. The one I have for Lunar(Sega CD) is a godsend just because it tells you what the spells and equipment do.
    (The game doesn't.)

    cj iwakura on
    9LlOwgn.png
    Well, good morning. Welcome to the new scenario. What should we do today?
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The last pages frustrated me because they didn't show you the last boss or tell you what happened at the end (as simple as the game was, it was surprisingly interesting when I did find out).

    Nintendo Power always did that back in the day, to keep the surprise of the final boss, I guess. Gaming life, pre-internet. We were like savages roaming the wastelands. :lol:

    FCD on
    "If anyone tried to steal your WAX LIPS, you would eat their eyeballs and deliver an angry lecture into their empty sockets." Hearts Boxcars, The Midnight Crew
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Those NP Guides are actually issues of the magazine. I think they put them out inbetween regular issues when they were only publishing 6 times a year. Just "The More you know"

    Those older NPs seem hard to find, so I'd say yes, it is pretty rare.

    Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love how in the Sea Shrine picture nobody besides the Knight really seems like they give a shit that the wizard is getting devoured by the cosmic horror tentacles, and even the Knight doesn't seem terribly concerned. The black wizard and the monk are just kind of hanging out.

    I feel pretty fucking old, remembering those old NP strategy guides with the red border. There was one for the four-player hookup that had, like, football players colliding on an NES in space. When you look at a movie like AC or a game like FFXIII and then break out the old NES FF1, it's really mind-blowing to think how much these things have changed in 20 years.

    Hell, it's mind-blowing to me that it's been 20 years.

    Duffel on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I got that as a subscription bonus.

    Much like Dragon Warrior. Ah, the days when free stuff was good.


    And the Black Mage seems like 'would you hurry up, there's disembodied pairs of eyes to slay over here!'.

    cj iwakura on
    9LlOwgn.png
    Well, good morning. Welcome to the new scenario. What should we do today?
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Level 27? :lol: How times change.
    The maximum level for FF1 is either 30 something or 50 (I forget...probably 50). But basically the only way to get to 50 was to fight the Eye in the Ice Cave for hours on end; he's one of the highest enemies that has a set position to be fought repeatedly and is always easy to kill.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FCD wrote: »
    The last pages frustrated me because they didn't show you the last boss or tell you what happened at the end (as simple as the game was, it was surprisingly interesting when I did find out).

    Nintendo Power always did that back in the day, to keep the surprise of the final boss, I guess. Gaming life, pre-internet. We were like savages roaming the wastelands. :lol:

    I always really liked what they did with games around the SNES period. Like how FFIII wasn't a "guide," but was like a series of diary entries, almost, with a short synopsis of what happens, but without telling you how/what there is to fight/where bosses are, etc.

    And how they did the equipment stuff in Secret of Mana.

    And the comics for Super Mario World/Link to the Past/Super Metroid/Star Fox.

    Jragghen on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Some games still do that.

    I know when we had the guide for XII it mentioned the final boss' name, but no pictures, or strategy, or anything. Just the name.

    Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the best path a guide can take is referring to bosses as "the boss", with full strategies intact.

    The guide to Final Fantasy 9 pissed me off so much, because they didn't include like half the stuff.

    Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • prismeclipserprismeclipser Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Jurg wrote: »
    I think the best path a guide can take is referring to bosses as "the boss", with full strategies intact.

    The guide to Final Fantasy 9 pissed me off so much, because they didn't include like half the stuff.

    The best part about that guide was that if you didn't have the internet, you were fucked. My parents didn't have internet until 2005. Final Fantasy 9 came out in 2000. D:

    prismeclipser on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2009
    Jurg wrote: »
    I think the best path a guide can take is referring to bosses as "the boss", with full strategies intact.

    The guide to Final Fantasy 9 pissed me off so much, because they didn't include like half the stuff.

    The best part about that guide was that if you didn't have the internet, you were fucked. My parents didn't have internet until 2005. Final Fantasy 9 came out in 2000. D:

    That guide was a pretty clear attempt to wring consumers for extra cash in a period where paper strategy guides were being phased out for online faqs.

    Square's always been a whore in that respect. See also: Zodiac Spear!

    Rust on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    My uncle has that and it's really cool.

    I found a digital copy but I don't know if it's legal to post...I always like perusing these old mags that treated 8-bit video games so seriously, giving them great exaggerated artwork.

    The last pages frustrated me because they didn't show you the last boss or tell you what happened at the end (as simple as the game was, it was surprisingly interesting when I did find out). Look at this, they don't even show you the last room:
    chaosyt4.jpg

    Level 27? :lol: How times change.

    Still, strategy guides were different back then. The one I have for Lunar(Sega CD) is a godsend just because it tells you what the spells and equipment do.
    (The game doesn't.)

    The NP artwork for FFIV is really, really terrible.

    I'm not going to post it. Someone else post it.

    Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just unpacked the CDs for the first time in awhile and man alive.

    FF:CC has basically the best soundtrack of any FF game.

    It's so good it's scary.

    Especially the beginning and ending tunes, and some of the melodies from the darker levels.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    My uncle has that and it's really cool.

    I found a digital copy but I don't know if it's legal to post...I always like perusing these old mags that treated 8-bit video games so seriously, giving them great exaggerated artwork.

    The last pages frustrated me because they didn't show you the last boss or tell you what happened at the end (as simple as the game was, it was surprisingly interesting when I did find out). Look at this, they don't even show you the last room:
    chaosyt4.jpg

    Level 27? :lol: How times change.

    Still, strategy guides were different back then. The one I have for Lunar(Sega CD) is a godsend just because it tells you what the spells and equipment do.
    (The game doesn't.)

    The NP artwork for FFIV is really, really terrible.

    I'm not going to post it. Someone else post it.

    Their version of Rydia can induce projectile vomiting. Also, Kain with Dreadlocks and green armor.

    FCD on
    "If anyone tried to steal your WAX LIPS, you would eat their eyeballs and deliver an angry lecture into their empty sockets." Hearts Boxcars, The Midnight Crew
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Jurg wrote: »
    I think the best path a guide can take is referring to bosses as "the boss", with full strategies intact.

    The guide to Final Fantasy 9 pissed me off so much, because they didn't include like half the stuff.

    The best part about that guide was that if you didn't have the internet, you were fucked. My parents didn't have internet until 2005. Final Fantasy 9 came out in 2000. D:

    That guide was a pretty clear attempt to wring consumers for extra cash in a period where paper strategy guides were being phased out for online faqs.

    Yeah, that guide was total bullshit. Was there ever a real guide printed for FFIX? Like, from Prima or suchlike?

    FCD on
    "If anyone tried to steal your WAX LIPS, you would eat their eyeballs and deliver an angry lecture into their empty sockets." Hearts Boxcars, The Midnight Crew
  • prismeclipserprismeclipser Registered User
    edited February 2009
    FCD wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »
    Jurg wrote: »
    I think the best path a guide can take is referring to bosses as "the boss", with full strategies intact.

    The guide to Final Fantasy 9 pissed me off so much, because they didn't include like half the stuff.

    The best part about that guide was that if you didn't have the internet, you were fucked. My parents didn't have internet until 2005. Final Fantasy 9 came out in 2000. D:

    That guide was a pretty clear attempt to wring consumers for extra cash in a period where paper strategy guides were being phased out for online faqs.

    Yeah, that guide was total bullshit. Was there ever a real guide printed for FFIX? Like, from Prima or suchlike?

    Piggyback made a strategy guide for FF9 that wasn't so reliant on the internet, but it still had keywords in it. Granted, now the strategy guide is completely useless because PlayOnline no longer works with it.

    prismeclipser on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is made even more hilarious by the fact that FF IX is the most collactathony Final Fantasy game ever.

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    IX is pretty great. I remember finding the Ocean chocograph and just shouting aloud how happy I was. Also killing Ozma. All that shit. That game was rather tough but oh so good. (tough for the super boss at least...)

    mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FCD wrote: »

    Their version of Rydia can induce projectile vomiting. Also, Kain with Dreadlocks and green armor.

    I must see this.

    Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You really don't.

    Professor Snugglesworth on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just unpacked the CDs for the first time in awhile and man alive.

    FF:CC has basically the best soundtrack of any FF game.

    It's so good it's scary.

    Especially the beginning and ending tunes, and some of the melodies from the darker levels.

    Having the best soundtrack is a side effect of the game having the best atmosphere of any FF game.

    jothki on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You really don't.

    lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • prismeclipserprismeclipser Registered User
    edited February 2009
    This is made even more hilarious by the fact that FF IX is the most collactathony Final Fantasy game ever.

    Friendly monsters, moogle letters, the card game, all those events that happened in towns that had different paths, and the chocobo. You really did need a good guide for that game. And who would have known about that awesome weapon you get at the end of the game if you speed ran it if it wasn't for the guide? Or the trick to it was to open the playstation while the cut scenes were playing so you could skip it otherwise you wouldn't have enough time?

    FF9! *shakes fist*

    prismeclipser on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is made even more hilarious by the fact that FF IX is the most collactathony Final Fantasy game ever.

    Friendly monsters, moogle letters, the card game, all those events that happened in towns that had different paths, and the chocobo. You really did need a good guide for that game. And who would have known about that awesome weapon you get at the end of the game if you speed ran it if it wasn't for the guide? Or the trick to it was to open the playstation while the cut scenes were playing so you could skip it otherwise you wouldn't have enough time?

    FF9! *shakes fist*

    I never attempted that stupid challenge but I can't believe that it comes that close. All the cutscenes can't possibly make up more than half an hour of time, right? I can see how that might be just enough to level up a few more times, but still.

    Anyway I would never do that because you miss so many things permanently throughout the game that this supposedly ultimate sword actually gimps your whole party in the end. It's a wholly wasted 12 hours. I know, bragging rights...

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User
    edited February 2009
    This is made even more hilarious by the fact that FF IX is the most collactathony Final Fantasy game ever.

    Friendly monsters, moogle letters, the card game, all those events that happened in towns that had different paths, and the chocobo. You really did need a good guide for that game. And who would have known about that awesome weapon you get at the end of the game if you speed ran it if it wasn't for the guide? Or the trick to it was to open the playstation while the cut scenes were playing so you could skip it otherwise you wouldn't have enough time?

    FF9! *shakes fist*

    I never attempted that stupid challenge but I can't believe that it comes that close. All the cutscenes can't possibly make up more than half an hour of time, right? I can see how that might be just enough to level up a few more times, but still.

    Anyway I would never do that because you miss so many things permanently throughout the game that this supposedly ultimate sword actually gimps your whole party in the end. It's a wholly wasted 12 hours. I know, bragging rights...

    As someone who has done it, it really is that close. It was a fun challenge, though... and:

    9999 Damage at Level 1

    What FF9 really needed was a new game + where it gave you the Excalibur II back from the start, but nothing else, to make the runthrough worthwhile.

    APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Disc 2 screwed me over. I hate you Iifa Tree.

    EDIT: Oh God, thank you for reminding me of the torture. FFIX is so slooooooooow.

    lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    EDIT: Oh God, thank you for reminding me of the torture. FFIX is so slooooooooow.
    Hahaha, seriously. I was thinking about maybe doing a replay, until I remembered how utterly slow everything is.

    Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    EDIT: Oh God, thank you for reminding me of the torture. FFIX is so slooooooooow.
    Hahaha, seriously. I was thinking about maybe doing a replay, until I remembered how utterly slow everything is.

    Yeah I started a new FF9 game a few weeks ago. I only got as far as the little town where Vivi gets captured. I can't beleive how slow the combat is, even when playing at the fastest speed. I haven't touched it in a week and I'm not sure I will touch it again.

    Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    EDIT: Oh God, thank you for reminding me of the torture. FFIX is so slooooooooow.
    Hahaha, seriously. I was thinking about maybe doing a replay, until I remembered how utterly slow everything is.

    Yeah I started a new FF9 game a few weeks ago. I only got as far as the little town where Vivi gets captured. I can't beleive how slow the combat is, even when playing at fasted the fastest speed. I haven't touched it in a week and I'm not sure I will touch it again.

    Much as I love IX, after the superfast combat of X I'm not sure I could go back.

    Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User
    edited February 2009
    I don't think FF9's combat is that bad or that slow mainly because you have four people instead of three which helps to make up the slack for how much slower the ATB is in the game. It's just the loading. Playing it on PSP, PS3 or an emulator makes it a dream, though.

    APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't think FF9's combat is that bad or that slow mainly because you have four people instead of three which helps to make up the slack for how much slower the ATB is in the game. It's just the loading. Playing it on PSP, PS3 or an emulator makes it a dream, though.
    If anything, four makes it even slower. In that video, the random battle swirls start at 15 seconds. The ATB bars pop up at 31 seconds. That is 16 seconds for every battle. Then you factor in how slowly the ATB bars fill, and the length of the spells (level 5 death took about 10-15 seconds) and you have a really tedious battle system.

    Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    FCD wrote: »

    Their version of Rydia can induce projectile vomiting. Also, Kain with Dreadlocks and green armor.

    I must see this.
    I have to see this now as well.

    Darmak on
    eg62xrm.jpg
  • Fig-DFig-D Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I always enjoyed how the secret summon for FF9 was an airship that transformed into a freaking Gundam in a summon animation that lasted like a minute and a half.

    Even so, FF9 is probably still my favorite Final Fantasy and I would rather have a remake of it over FF7.

    Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I could go for a DS port right about now.

    FF IX you say? :P

    Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I always enjoyed how the secret summon for FF9 was an airship that transformed into a freaking Gundam in a summon animation that lasted like a minute and a half.

    Even so, FF9 is probably still my favorite Final Fantasy and I would rather have a remake of it over FF7.

    I think 9 holds up better, and not just because of it's age. It was a callback to snes FF, so I don't think I would want to see it with next gen glossy graphics.

    Kyougu on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I always enjoyed how the secret summon for FF9 was an airship that transformed into a freaking Gundam in a summon animation that lasted like a minute and a half.

    Even so, FF9 is probably still my favorite Final Fantasy and I would rather have a remake of it over FF7.

    I find the PSX version of FF9 nearly unplayable. As mentioned earlier, the slow battle system just feels like they're trying to waste my time. There are also a few other things, like the skill system, that feel excessively grindy.

    If they fix those problems, I might give it another shot. The worst part is that I got almost to the end boss in FF9, but I just didn't care enough to finish it.

    templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Level 27? :lol: How times change.
    The maximum level for FF1 is either 30 something or 50 (I forget...probably 50). But basically the only way to get to 50 was to fight the Eye in the Ice Cave for hours on end; he's one of the highest enemies that has a set position to be fought repeatedly and is always easy to kill.

    Yeah, a friend of mine did that on my copy of the game back in the day. It was even easier if you killed off two of your dudes so that the remaining two got twice as much XP. And the cap was definitely 50.

    Vincent Grayson on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I always enjoyed how the secret summon for FF9 was an airship that transformed into a freaking Gundam in a summon animation that lasted like a minute and a half.

    I hated how unless you had 100 of a certain gemstone, one for each eidolon, in your inventory, the summon attacks did bugger all damage at the end of the game. The first time I summoned Ark was a collosal disappointment.

    Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »
    FCD wrote: »

    Their version of Rydia can induce projectile vomiting. Also, Kain with Dreadlocks and green armor.

    I must see this.
    I have to see this now as well.

    Ask, and ye shall receive.

    Spoilered for hideous, terriBAD artwork. In order from least to most accurate to in-game character sprite.
    RYDIA
    rydia.jpg

    KAIN
    kain.jpg

    ROSA - holy crap, compare this to what she looks like in FFIV-DS.
    rosa.jpg

    PALOM and POROM (Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee)
    twins.jpg

    CECIL (omg, he's not wearing PANTS!)
    cecil2.jpg

    TELLAH
    tellah.jpg

    EDWARD
    edward.jpg

    YANG
    yang.jpg

    CID
    cid.jpg

    Sadly, no FuSoYa.

    El Fantastico on
    akyxa17p3s5g.png
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Sign In or Register to comment.