As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

L5R The Topaz Champion

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Smiling shyly at Hazu, Saburo replied: "Luckily for me that event was basically just a test of quickness, Hazu-san. Any real fight would not have gone anywhere near so well for me, especially using one of these", touching the blunted katana and grimacing, he turned to watch the Crab defeat his opponent.

El Skid on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rika stepped forwards onto the duelling ground, bowing deeply to Harukichi. Her heart was pounding as she faced the most skilled young duellist in Rokugan, as well as her lover. Memories flashed through her mind, of the Crane's beautiful face consumed by passion.
    I must stay focused. My ancestors would never let me live this down, if I failed here. She may be willing to accept life as a ronin, but I owe a debt to my family.
    As she stood, battling with her emotions, Harukichi struck, her face betraying her uncertainty. Rika's long, heavy blade swung out, blocking the awkward strike and then swinging around on the counterblow, barely tapping the young girl's shoulder.
    "Forgive me." The words were barely audible through her mask, but Rika knew her love had heard.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    As Harukichi hears the name of her opponent, her heart sinks. Why did it have to be her? She takes a deep breath and moves out to the competition grounds. She moves to the table with the weapons and choses a simple bokken, a wooden katana. She moves to the center of the ground and faces Rika. She bows deeply to Rika.

Her heart beats rapidly and her mind is clouded by passionate memories of Rika, visions of her intimately heaving bosom, of her milky thighs, of her... Concentrate! Her hands tremble slightly as she grips the bokken. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath and then moves. She is the quicker contestant and she moves first, quickly closing the distance between her and Rika.

She moves to strike with her bokken but finds the tip of the bokken entangled in the folds of her kimono. She sucks in a deep breath and looks down, quickly trying to unentangle the bokken. She quickly recovers, but her amateur mistake causes any confidence she may have had to evaporate. Her focus vanishes and she half-heartedly strikes forward with her bokken.

Her wooden katana does not find its target and only finds Rika's larger heavy blade. Before she can react to the block, Rika's heavier sword swings around and barely taps her on the shoulder. She drops the tip of her sword to the side, knowing defeat. She backs up and bows deeply to Rika.

"Forgive me," she hears Rika speak. She smiles as she bows, her heart fluttering with joy. You lost! You should not be happy! She raises and speaks softly to Rika in reply, "I love you, Rika."

She turns around and begins the walk of shame back to her sensei. She looks at him and he is shaking his head in frustration and anger, but she only wears a bizarre little smile on her lips. No punishment he could give her could break her queerly good mood.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Miya Yoto claps his hands together "The next competition will be, poetry!" He motions toward the audience, "In full view of these good people, the contestants will compose a haiku, the superior poem award the victor one point toward their gempukku. Speaking of which

"Head judge now will be Kakita Hirotada," Miya Yoto Indicates an healthy looking older man with a long full beard. "Contestants take your places and compose your creations!"

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Poetry.

Kiyashi felt no worry on this. This was one of the things he could do. Perhaps he was no expert, but...

As he stepped forth, to be first, he took a breath, and held his head high, speaking clearly and loudly for all to hear.

"Snow falls on Kaiu
    The bird flies in the long night
    Hot blood stains my shell."

He took another breath when it was done. He was sure no one would recognize the meaning; it was too personal, and no one here would likely know of his pain. And yet... it spoke for itself.

And it was enough. He felt it did her memory some justice. Kiyashi gave a deep bow to Kakita Hirotada, and left his sight.

He wanted to be alone for a few moments.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Poetry.

This, he knew he could do. He had only to let his mind wander, and it would come to him...

It was strange. As he moved on in the competition that was to measure whether he was ready to become a man, every contest seemed to be bringing out of him the qualities of an adult. The boy he was just yesterday, overconfident and uncontrolled, was almost strange. The boy who was almost seduced into poisoning a fellow competitor for the promise of sex seemed alien.

Like a caterpillar, he could feel his cocoon drifting away, revealing something... more. More confident. More stable. More.

So I shall create a poem based on what I am to become.... What it is to be a Bushi, to face death and fight on regardless.

He stepped up to the Kakita with his mind blank, and only the image of the Samurai he would soon be at the center of his conciousness. Bowing to the Crane, he awaited the go-ahead and spoke from his soul, his voice strong and unwavering as a man's voice must be:

"Darkness threatens all
    Bushi stands to face what comes
    Duty knows no fear"

For an instant he saw the Crane's eyes widen, and he knew he had won. Poetry was not about the words you picked or the number of syllables they contained, but of the feelings and imagery you evoked in the listener. He had conveyed the image not just to the Crane's ears but much much deeper.

Maintaining eye contact with Kakita Hirotada, he gave the samurai a deep bow and moved on.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Rika bowed to the examiners as she entered the small room, her armor discarded after the brief battle with Harukichi. Her legs were still slightly shaky from the encounter, and she once again thanked her ancestors for deciding that the Scorpion Clan would wear masks at all times.
    If one abandons honor for love, Harukichi... will it ever last?

"A cherry blossom falls
    to view the lovely leaves
    but lands on the earth"

The bushi adopted a nervous frown underneath her mask as she waited for the nod from the examiners.
    "Well-spoken, Soshi Rika. You have gained another point."

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kakita Harukichi kneels before the examiners and bows deeply to them. She rises and turns, bowing at the hip to her opponent. Her opponent, a Crab, was first to go. He delivers a haiku, predictably about killing or battle or something. She isn't paying too much attention, instead focusing on what her poem would say.

The examiners nodded their thanks to Hiruma Do and then looked to Harukichi. It was her turn to deliver her poem. She nodded her thanks to the examiners and then spoke:

"The Crane spreads its wings
    And lightning comes from the sky;
    Only calm remains."

The examiners nod their thanks to Harukichi and discuss between themselves. She frowns, knowing that the haiku was not her best work. The examiners all turn to face the two of them, "Both poems were very good, but we would like to hear another from each of you."

The Crab begins to deliver his second poem. Harukichi closes her eyes, thinking of another poem. You already know the perfect poem to give. Harukichi smiles, remembering the words she wrote for Rika. The judges turn to her, motioning for her to deliver her second poem. Without hesitation, she speaks once more:

"Two sakura bloom;
    The wind gasps at their beauty
    And the sky blushes."

She bows to the examiners and they briefly look at each other and nod, "Kakita Harukichi, congratulations on your success. You have another point towards your gempukku."

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ah, Go. One of the few aspects of the tournament in which Saburo had not been given at least some training. But the familiar sense of dread was again absent as he walked onto the mat to face his competitor... And found the cool mask of the scorpion who had beaten the Crane under such unusual circumstances. It must be true what I have heard of the Scorpion- they must be trained to unseat the mind of their opponents- why else would the Crane have been smiling after putting in so poor of a showing?

Picking a spot near the scorpion's chin, he gazed intently at that spot and gave the scorpion a bow, careful never to gaze through the eyeholes of the mask.

Remembering at the last moment the way to start a match of Go, Saburo took a white stone and a black stone from beside the board and mixed them in his hand, careful to keep his eyes on the scorpion's chin as he did so. Extending his hands with one rock in each, he nodded his head at the scorpion. "Your choice, Soshi-sama".

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    "Brave efforts on the poetry front," Says Miya Yoto, he calls for some polite applause. "Ah i've just reviewed the standings. Congratulations Hida Kiyashi and Yuritomo Yuriko, you have both earned enough points for your gempukku. The first in this year's competition!"

The crowd is a bit surprised at the succes of a crab and a minor clan member. Especially since yesterday's unexpected favorite Moto Xuren has yet to win a competition today. They still cheer however, especially the poorer seats and stands.

"Next competition, Go! A test of strategy and wits," please take your places. The Go tables are set up and two judges start wandering between them.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Rika smiled underneath her mask as the young Wasp offered her the pick of stones. She paused for a long, undefinable moment as he nervously stared at the smooth white chin of her mask.
    Afraid? The reputation of the Scorpion is truly a blessing.
    She reached out and tapped his left hand, seeing it open to hold the white stone. Kneeling in front of the board, she waited for Saburo to make his move.

Much, much later, the game was drawing to a close, and neither had a decisive advantage. Rika frowned.
    The match comes down to the next few pieces. I can do this. My gempukku awaits.

A short flurry of moves later, and Rika sighed, bowing to Saburo. "Victory is yours, and it was well-earned. Congratulations on your gempukku, Tsuruchi-san."

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi, when he entered the Go match, gave a deep bow to Agasha Hanori, along with a faint smile, and a soft whisper. His mind was elsewhere, however, and it showed in his game.

"A match for a Shugenja. Wish me luck, it seems I will need it."

The match didn't last long. Kiyashi made a poor showing, not that that was much of a surprise. Kiyashi stood, and bowed once more to the Phoenix, smiling again, though not very much.

"Congratulations, Agasha-san. You play very well."

And it seemed only fitting that after denying the Phoenix two points, that the third should be gained from beating him. He left the match, still thinking on the last... His mind had not been on the game. Not at all. He had to focus on the next match...

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Bowing to the Scorpion, Saburo finally looked her in the eyes... and barely managed to suppress a smile that would probably have seemed to convey derision instead of the joy he felt inside.

Instead he said: "A very well played game, Soshi-sama. I am sure your final point is near, as well."

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    "The Debate!" Miya Yoto yells, "A contest of reasoning and persuasive speaking. Please move into the chambers appointed for this contest, feel free to talk amongst yourselves while you wait."

Miya Yoto proclaims the first matchup "Bayushi Denbe and Kitsu Konoko,"

"Not ideal," the Bayushi says to no one in particular, "but all i need, is one more point."

"You will not be earning it now," says the Kitsu with a grin. Denbe looks at her with eyes of stone, seems his good humor is flagging a bit.

When a few minutes later the Bayushi emerges scowling, one could easily guess at the outcome.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Waiting for his debate to start, Saburo finds the much larger Crab standing about.

"Kiyashi-san!" exclaims Saburo jovially, "Seems like things are looking up- we are both to be men tomorrow!" his eyes twinkling mischieviously, Saburo gives the crab a smack on his back and grins "How did your game of Go turn out? Are you the clear point leader, now?"

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kakita Harukichi exits from the room where they were holding the Go competitions. Her game had lasted much longer than she had expected. The Usagi was a bizarre player of Go. Her typical strategy was rendered useless by the inexplicable and seemingly random placement of stones on the board. However, she had still gained the upper hand later in the match and had earned the victory.

She finds her sensei waiting for her outside, "Congratulations on your gempukku, Harukichi." He bows slightly to her and she returns the bow with a deeper and more respectful bow. He speaks once again, "Ah, but you must hurry. They have already announced the next competition. You are to debate Agasha Hanori."

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi glanced up in surprise as Saburo shouted, rocking just a little bit as the small man clapped him on the back. Kiyashi's smile was very faint.

"I am afraid I made a poor showing in Go. Go is, it seems, not my game. At least, not when I face a Phoenix shugenja."

He laughed faintly, then gave Saburo a firm nod. It seemed if he'd actually noticed Saburo using his given name, he chose not to take offense or otherwise comment.

"My mind was elsewhere, I think." He cocked his head.

"You did better than I, I am certain."

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It was strange to not have the Crab smiling... Saburo hoped he hadn't been overly friendly and given offense.

"I managed to beat the Scorpion samurai-ko, yes" said Saburo modestly. "So it looks like we're both going to graduate... and by my count we're each a point off the lead at the moment. So cheer up! We're just going for bonus points now anyway, so no need to spend too much time dwelling on past setbacks." pausing to think a moment he continued: "Heck, If I had dwelled on my first days' failures, I'd probably still be in bed right now!"

Saburo wasn't sure exactly why he wanted the Crab back in his usual good mood... but it felt wrong to see him moping like this.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi glanced at Saburo, and took a breath, slowly let it out, then nodded.

"...I suppose you are right. This is no time for these thoughts."

He drew himself back up to his full height, for a moment, and it wasn't until then that it'd become obvious he'd sunken into himself a little. He gave Saburo another nod, this one firmer.

"We are men. And men do not sulk. Come, to the next contest."

It was a mask... but a necessary one.

Wear the mask, become the mask... Or so Kiyashi hoped.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    "Tsuruchi Saburo versus Moto Xuren" the Miya announced.

"That's my call- wish me luck!" without really waiting for a reply, Saburo headed into the tent and faced the judges. Moto Xuren, being a unicorn, looked slightly uncomfortable. Not only was he off of his horse, but he also was not used to regular Rokugani culture, and it showed in little ways in formal situations like this one. Saburo, on the other hand, was well used to dealing with his people and exuded confidence.

And so it was unsurprising when the Moto left the tent a short while later looking harried- while the Moto had escaped outright embarrassment, Saburo had clearly been in another league altogether. Saburo had added another point to his growing total.

It turns out that the tournament is just like Archery he thought to himself. to make a difficult shot, you need to have your head in the right place... skill alone isn't sufficient. I wish I'd figured that out sooner- I'd be winning this thing outright.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi's contest was next.

Saburo had cheered him, somewhat, had helped him to regain his center. He stepped into the room along with Mirumoto, first giving him a bow, then waiting for the contest to begin.

It took longer than he expected. Most of his contests in the Championship had been remarkably short, over as quickly as they began. This one, however, took quite a bit longer. Nearly twenty minutes passed in the room, as Kiyashi, no expert debater but passable, at least against a fellow bushi. Had Otakan been a courtier, Kiyashi would have been out of luck, and he knew it.

And yet, in the end, the other made a point that Kiyashi took just a bit too long to counter, and he countered it ineffectively. Kiyashi bowed to his opponent.

"You have won."

And yet... He felt... better. Somehow.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Saburo was feeling pensive in his room while he changed for the final event of the day- Hunting. He had been busy achieving his Gempukku up until now, but now that he had met-and exceeded- that requirement, he had an amazing opportunity in his hands- the Emperor and his court was in attendance, and the Emerald Champion happened to owe him a favour. The possibilities seemed endless, but slowly he came to a decision.

Taking a quill, some ink and a blank scroll of parchment from his belongings, he carefully began to write a few words to get the ball rolling. He just hoped that he wasn't setting himself up for a huge embarrassment...

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kakita Harukichi faces her opponent in a room, flanked by the judges of the debate competition. She bows to Agasha Hanori. The judges speak first, "Welcome, competitors. The first word goes to Agasha Hanori. You may begin when ready."

Harukichi and Agasha Hanori bow before the judges. Agasha Hanori begins to speak, "Thank you, judges, and thank you, Kakita-san. The most important aspect of the Bushido is Jin, or compassion. The honour of a samurai is the true sword with which he fights for the Emperor and the Empire. As such, honour must always remember why it fights and that aspect is embodied in compassion, a understanding of those who are less fortunate and those that need to be defended."

Agasha Hanori continues his speech, making a powerful justification of the true importance of compassion. Kakita Harukichi smiles, thinking how the Bushido fills her heart with joy, and she finds herself agreeing, for the most part, with the words that Agasha Hanori spoke.

Agasha Hanori finishes his speech and then bows his head to Harukichi. It is now her turn to speak. "Thank you, Agasha-san, for your very moving words. I agree that compassion is extremely important to the Bushido, but I do not believe it to be the most important aspect. It is my belief that Honesty is the most important aspect of the bushido."

"Honour is the fire that burns within all samurai's hearts and Bushido is all of the components of that fire. Compassion is why the fire burns; it is the reason we gather around the fire and the reason we use it. Important, yes, but not essential to the fire itself. Of all the aspects of the fire, the one aspect that is absolutely essential is the fuel. And I view Honesty as being the fuel. One's honesty is a measure of the quality of the fuel. One who is dishonest finds that the fire in their heart burns harshly and produces a foul smoke, making the fire useless. The truly honest samurai finds that their heart burns clean and strong. The fire in the heart of an honest samurai dances beautifully and brilliantly, providing the essential warmth without pushing people away with thick smoke or uncontrolled movement. While all aspects of the Bushido are essential to hone the fire to its true usefulness, it is the fuel which is absolutely essential for the fire to exist and, as I believe, Honesty is that fuel, so that must be the most essential aspect of the Bushido."

The judges nod to Harukichi and the head judge quickly responds, "While both speakers provide a very thorough understanding of the Bushido and the meaning of the Bushido, we believe that Kakita-san's words are elegant and beautiful and more elegantly worded. We award the point to Kakita Harukichi."

Harukichi smiles and bows deeply to Agasha Hanori first and then turns and bows to the judges, "Thank you, judges. And thank you, Agasha-san, for letting me hear your words. They have truly given me insight in to the Bushido that I did not have."

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    As the debates wind down, Miya Yoto starts to draw names for the hunting competition teams. "Two teams of four, two of five." He says, arm deep in the urn containing your names. "The object is to retrieve the egg of the Tsu fish out of a puddle in the forest. " He leans out of the urn clutching five mons "Doji Wakao, Kakita Shino, Mirumoto Otakan, Akodo Shotaka and Yuritomo Yuriko."

Bayushi Denbe seems quite nervous as he paces about the courtyard. "If i win this, i earn my gempukku. If he not its in the iaijutsu competition." He pinches the bridge of his nose.

"Team two! yells the Miya "Hazu, Hiruma Do, Kitsu Konoko, Tamori Gojinka." Hazu seems quite pleased at this setup. "You have two hours, starting now, its half an hour away from here, go quickly." Hazu and the Hiruma take off running, the shugenja stand back slightly bewildered for a few moments before taking off after them.

"Team three, you will be leaving in half an hour. Your team composition is: Bayushi Denbe, Tsuruchi Saburo, Hida Kiyasho, Soshi Rika, Kakita Harukichi." Bayushi Denbe walks up to any of you near and says "Seems the fates know how friendships lie ey? Yes they do." He's clutching his katana in anticipation. "This should be doable, assuming none of us are slow runners."

"Team four, also leaving in little over half an hour. Shiba Takako, Agasha Hanori, Moto Xuren, Usagi Kamahime."

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi had spent the last hour of the debate competition recentering himself, trying to remain cool and collected in the face of memory. He succeeded... though only just.

Kiyashi glanced at those surrounding him, and smiled. He could definitely accept this team. He laughed, when Denbe spoke, and flashed him a bit of a grin; a bit of that Kiyashi Saburo wanted to see again showing through.

"You needn't worry, Bayushi-san. We will succeed. There is no other acceptable outcome."

He dropped his voice to just above a conspiratorial whisper, just loud enough for the others to hear.

"Besides, the Wasp here is small and quick, not unlike a rabbit. A remarkably ferocious rabbit. We will find ourselves inspired by his example, if nothing else; of that I am sure."

He gave Saburo that same grin, brief though it was, and prepared himself to set off when the race was called. It was nearly time.

And failure was not even a consideration in Kiyashi's mind, now.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Saburo grinned at Kiyashi in return- this was more like the boy he knew, man-sized though he might be.

"I'm afraid the Hare is in another group, Hida-san. You'll have to do with a ferocious stinging insect instead." he replied, smiling impishly.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Harukichi looks at her teammates, "Two Scorpions, a Crane, a Crab, and a Wasp. Either this is a parable of Shinsei or a joke. Seeing as how there is no sake house around, I will assume this is a parable and that means there will be a valuable lesson inherent in it. What do you say we make the lesson that even though our clans may disagree, we make powerful allies when it is required of us?"

She smiles to her teammates and then slyly grins to the Scorpions and says in an obviously playful manner without a hint of malice in her voice, very clear that she means no disrespect and is simply making fun, "But if we have to cross a river, please don't sting us."

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Denbe gives a hearty laugh, "If we cross a river, i'll not be on your backs, don't you worry." He says to Harukichi.

Time passes. Miya Yoto calls you to attention. "On my mark, your two hours will commence!

Bayushi Denbe sets himself in a runner's stance and motions for you all to do the same.

"Commence!" yells Miya Yoto. You take off running. Its a somewhat painful half hour run to the forest and when you get there, it is painfully still. Bayushi Denbe looks into a puddle or two. "The Tsu fish eggs should be around here somewhere." A soft rain starts to fall. Its sticky and smells faintly of rotten eggs. "Gah, don't tell me this is normal in crane lands." Denbe slips on a wet branch and gives a small scream.

"Over there," he says drawing his katana,"that is most definitely not normal in crane lands." In a small clearing the first team to leave lies dead. Hazu's sword is in his scabbard, his sword arm hacked off before he could draw his blade. Hiruma Do's neck has been messily severed. Tamori Gonjinka died from a slash across her chest so brutal it nearly bisected her. Kitsu konoko was stabbed through the heart and her head smashed with a rock. Whoever did this knew what they were doing, taking on four samurai.

Denbe walks in among them. "None of us, the contestants i mean, could have done this," he says "So many other ways to end the competition."

"Boss!" you hear a voice cry. "More of them, haha."

Three men with katanas drawn and one man, their boss, walk into view.

"Well little samurai, today is an inauspicious day for you. You caught my men having a little fun, can't have word getting out till we're long gone. You have to die now. Ki-yaaa," he yells, drawing his weapon.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Saburo gazed in shock at the dismembered bodies of his erstwhile opponents. He'd never seen dead bodies before, but with mounting anger he tore his gaze away from them and onto their murderers.

Drawing his bow, he shouted at them, hatred in his voice "You'll not take us, filthy brigands!". Without hesitation, he knocked and fired a fleshcutting arrow at the leader in one sinuous motion. "Feel the sting of a Wasp!"

The arrow flies true and sinks into his throat with a sickening Thunk. Dropping his weapon, the Leader brings both hands to his throat and sinks to his knees. Finally, with a final gurgling sound, he falls sideways to the ground, apparently unconscious.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kiyashi had not even come close to keeping up with Saburo, but he had at least proven he could run. He was the last into the clearing, but not by terribly much, and still making decent time, and had just begun to help Denbe hunt for the eggs when the Scorpion shouted out, and his head snapped up and around. What the...

That's when the tang of blood caught him on the wind, and he saw the bodies. He caught sight of Hiruma Do's headless corpse, and his first thought was that no dishonor was worth having the body desecrated...

And then the other voice, and the four men walked into the clearing.

He had come unarmored, because, well... There was little point in armor for this competition.

He had not, however, come unarmed. Fury entered him, even as Saburo's arrow let fly. He let out a long, wordless cry as his own katana entered his hands... he was not carrying his heavier weapon; who'd have thought he'd need it? But he never went entirely unarmed, nor did any Crab. The katana sang from its sheath as he saw them coming, and the Crab chose this moment to channel every moment of the disappointment, rage, or sadness from earlier into the battle about to start.

They would bleed, or he would.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Harukichi comes in to the clearing and sees the corpses of the other teams and recoils in horror. She sees Hazu lying dead and, for whatever reason, his death was the most infuriating to her. Her hand instinctively flies to the tsuka of her blade.

"Whoever is responsible for this will pay dearly," as she says this, the voices of the brigands is heard and they come in to sight. The leader is quickly taken out by a well-placed arrow to the neck of the leader. She screams out in quenched fury and begins to quickly move towards one of the thugs.

The thug readies his blade, seeing her charge, but he has no idea what he is facing. At precisely the right moment, when the rapidly closing distance is just right, her blade flies forth from her saya, the very tip of the blade slashing across one of the thug's eyes, cleanly blinding him in that eye. The blade continues its arc until the blade lingers straight behind her; she continues her charge, moving right past his left side. She quickly turns around and redeposits her katana back in its saya in one clean and swift motion.

"Which one of you dogs is next? Your actions here will send you to your death and I will be more than happy to deliver you to whatever hell the heavens see fit to deposit you in," she screams out to the thugs, her voice filled with righteous fury and utter indignation.

All the while, her eyes quickly dart from the thugs to Rika, feeling a sense of worry. She is a powerful bushi. She'll be fine. Nevertheless, she was constantly prepared to leap to her defense should the need arise.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Rika had remained silent as the group entered the forest, feeling something foreboding hanging on the edge of the future. Her instincts proved true as the small group stumbled upon the dead bodies, and her jaw clenched as the honorless bandits responsible emerged from the woods.

A kiai split the air as she moved forwards, her speed catching all those around her by surprise, even as Saburo fitted his arrow to his bow. Her blade flashed as she unsheathed it, cleaving one of the thugs in half as the Wasp's arrow found its mark.
    Blood, the same color as my robes. This honorless dog considers himself a worthy foe? Ancestors... Harukichi... see my blade. I am strong. I do not falter. I do not hesitate in battle.
    The bushi began to half-turn, spotting Harukichi blinding one of the bandits that advanced upon her.
    Why is it that I hesitate around you?

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The one eyed thug aims a brutal slash at Harukichi but misses the mark, likely due to his sudden lack of depth perception. The second thug manages to slash Bayushi Denbe on the thigh, it is a deep gash and starts bleeding immediately. He returns the favor however by stabbing his assailant painfully through the stomach. The thug manages to stay on his feet, but he's near falling down in any case.

"BASTARD," yells Denbe, clearly unhappy at his wound.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sabruro looks slightly pale as he watches the thugs get cut down where they stand. I've never shot at an real target before he thinks, looking slightly pale. But this is what he had trained for all his life, what he would be doing for as long as his fingers could still draw a bowstring... he might as well accept it. Besides, he thought, it's them or us, and they started this.

Seeing his fellow competitor in danger, Saburo turned his bow on the thug attacking Denebe. His hands shaking slightly, he loosed another fleshcutter arrow, and watched it fly true into the heart of the thug, killing him instantly.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Rika turned smoothly, her robes flowing behind her as she stepped back towards the final bandit, still reeling from Harukichi's perfect strike to his face. The dog shrieked as her giant blade tore open his back, severing his spine with ruthless power.
    And so you have been avenged, fellow Samurai.

"Kakita-san, are you harmed?" The tall Bushi's voice was tinged with genuine worry, careless of the fact that it was her Clanmate who had been injured.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    "SON OF A WHORE," screams Denbe as he kills the thug that injured him. As his sword slides out of the man's skull he answers an unspoken question. "Two others are still alive, i'm sure one of them will be able to talk." He talks a look a the state of the rest, specifically the leader with an arrow sticking out of his throat, choking on the ground. "Hah," he laughs, "well, maybe not."

He leans against a tree and sits down on the ground, tears a strip of silk of his shirt and daubs it on his wound. "Continue the hunt without me and send someone back to collect these dogs. I'll guard them, i want to see them them flogged and hanged.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Kiyashi gave Denbe a firm nod. He had certainly mastered the art of letting his rage focus into his battle... evne if it had gotten him hurt. Still, he had done well.

"Of course, Bayushi-san." He reshouldered his weapon, and looked at the others, then down at the bloodstained ground.

"Pathetic." That, of course, was directed at the corpses, specifically the attackers, not the dead contestants. Kiyashi waved the others back forward.

"Come, we can do no more here. Let us get where we go as soon as possible; the sooner we arrive, the sooner they can send the magistrates to collect our foes." He gave one more firm nod to Denbe, and grinned at Saburo.

"A worthy bow indeed."

And with that, he turned and headed on, this time deciding to keep a bit of an eye out for... further ambushes.

KrataLightblade on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Numbly Saburo reshouldered his bow, still looking quite pale as he surveyed the carnage of both ambushes. Smiling unsteadily at Kiyashi and giving a forced smile at the complement, Saburo shook his head in an attempt to refocus his mind.

"I'm guessing the eggs are around here somewhere. Perhaps Bayyshi-sama and one other should make some sort of litter for Bayushi-sama and one of the unconscious ambushers while the rest of us collect the eggs, so we can try and get back in time? I would suggest ignoring the competition, but I believe at least one of us hasn't got their last Gempukku point... and if that's the case we should really make an effort."

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    "Aaah you're right, i should at least tie their hands," says Denbe. "But you get on and hunt for that damn egg, some peasants will undoubtedly be assigned to carry our assailants out of here." As you get to hunting around for puddle containing the Tsu fish egg Bayushi Denbe yells "If you're late plead that our circumstances allowed it!" Clearly he wants the last point to get his gempukku.

After some looking around a fish egg is found and you can set off back to the academy, leaving Denbe to guard the thugs. The run back is easier, seeing as you know exactly where you are going. Luckily, only one of your number was injured. As you arrive at the dueling academy Miya Yoto smiles and says "Ah you have made it just in time, show me the egg please?" as an afterthought he adds, "Where is bayushi denbe?" You are apparently the last team to arrive, besides the dead team, obviously.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Saburo looked around at his team-mates and noted that of them all, he seemed to have the most breath left- so he reasoned he would be the best one to break the news to everyone. With a brief pause to catch the remainder of his breath, he stepped forward, looking only slightly self-conscious.

"Miya-sama. I'm afraid we have some bad news to report. There were some scum laying in wait near the fish eggs we found, and... I'm afraid they had already slaughtered the entire second team of hunters by the time we got there. We defeated them, and Bayushi Denbe-sama was wounded- he volunteered to remain and guard the unconscious brigands while we informed everyone back here." Saburo's voice, which was always quite emotive, carried a profound and sincere sadness at the loss of the competitors.

El Skid on