As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cross-Post iPod Help

VaregaVarega Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Crossposted from Tech subforum
I got a quick question regarding iPods and their anti piracy measures.

A woman at work has a corrupted install of iTunes. She, without trying to repair it, uninstalls iTunes and reinstalls it. The music that she has burned, has that been lost? And does a new install of iTunes require a complete wipe of an iPod and resync? I'm not very familiar with iPods, so I'm kinda at a loss.

Also, she has an account with iTunes with purchased music. Is that purchased music redownloadable at no charge?

League of Legends:Varega
Varega on

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    On a PC, at least, the default location for iTunes to store downloaded music is separate from the iTunes program files, so they could still be there. Check in her 'My Music' folder. With the new install she should be able to re-authorise that computer to play the music tagged to her account.

As for the music downloads, Apple generally only allows you to download it once unless there are some very very exceptional circumstances, such as a corrupt file. It's why iTunes often prompts you to back up your music. As above, check to see if the music files are still in her My Documents / My Music folder.

If she's using a Mac, though, I can't assist.

Edit: the iPod will probably require the full wipe and reset, I would think, but there may be ways around it that I'm not aware of.

Wildcat on
  • EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mac is the same way. All the music is in her "Music" directory under iTunes. I can't see why re-installing would be a problem.

All you have to do is de/re-authorize iTunes and if you have any DRM'd media it will be playable again.

She should be able to re-connect the iPod and go through the same authorization process. At worst it will require a restore.

No, her music isn't gone unless she's manually deleted it from the computer.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"