As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Parents new compaq locking up/freezing.

DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright so i'm home for thanksgiving and my parents were waiting on me to set up their presario SR5605F

Anyway, once I get to the vista installation screens everything just freezes up at the point where I have to set the time. It seems like a complete crash and the screen turns into a smear of blurs, lines, and colors. I figure that maybe it's some driver that needs to be loaded for the video card so this time I breeze through the vista business pretty fast and no problem occurs.

Anyway. A bit later in the day the problem starts to rear its head again. There appears to be no specific cause but every now and then everything just locks up and crashes. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I updated the video card drivers after it happened again but that hasn't fixed anything. Everything is pretty much totally stock, the PC hasn't been out of the box for 12 hours.

steam_sig.png
DasUberEdward on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hopefully you bought it at BestBuy or some other Big Box Retailer. You can most likely exchange it tomorrow.

If it was defective out of the box, troubleshooting this isn't your problem.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I honestly have no idea where they bought it from and they're asleep. Hm. I really just want to put this problem to rest. It seems like a simple driver issue or something. Unfortunately I have no way of transferring a picture of the issue off of my phone until I get back to my apartment.

But the screen turns into what I can best describe as a technicolor mesh with diagonal lines and some other random patterns.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Compaq Presario SR5605F Desktop PC (2.7 GHz AMD Athlon LE-1640 Single-Core Processor, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Vista Premium)

There's your problem! No really though, it could be...
    Compaq Presario SR5605F Desktop PC (2.7 GHz AMD Athlon LE-1640 Single-Core Processor, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Vista Premium)

Those things don't mix all that well. But definately find out where they got it and how long they've had it, all that. If it's unsatisfactory, or not working, then use return policies to your advantage.

Topia on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Topia wrote: »

There's your problem! No really though, it could be...

Those things don't mix all that well. But definately find out where they got it and how long they've had it, all that. If it's unsatisfactory, or not working, then use return policies to your advantage.

I took it out of the box earlier today to plug it in. It's seriously brand spanking new. Yeah I know compaqs are pretty shitty but they needed a cheap computer quickly so they picked this thing up. For their purposes it's perfect I mean aside from hulu and general web browsing they won't be doing anything else.

Maybe type a document. So yeah I could retrofit this with a clean install of XP or something but gee whiz compaq i'd at least expect a functional setup out of the box.

Ranting aside, has anyone ever encountered a problem that causes screens to go all garbled and lock the PC?

(note: sometimes it does it when nothing is happening at all. i've installed a printer and done some other stuff since it last went out and there's no sign of a problem at all.)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Okay so it does have a sense of humor at least. Immediately after my edit the screen went to shit.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It might be a stretch, but is the computer overheating?

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It might be a stretch, but is the computer overheating?

I was going to look into this next. I don't see any reason why it would overheat because there have been instances when it's just sitting idle and it dies out.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If it's brand new, you shouldn't have to troubleshoot jack. It either works or it doesn't. The whole point of buying a prefab, brand-name (even a shitty brand name) computer is so you don't have to do any thinking and the whole thing "just works". This obviously isn't the case. Return it as defective and just get them another computer.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This is mostly a question of why at this point. It bugs the hell out of me.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Garbled screen is usually bad video card, either drivers or hardware. Brand new out of the box, I'd say factory defective video chipset and return it.

Ruckus on