As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cool things to do to a spare Mac desktop

Spoom182Spoom182 Registered User regular
I've got a spare mac desktop, and I was wondering what kinds of things you guys would recommend I do with it. It currently has no use at all so if you think up anything I'd be glad to hear it. It's probably three years old at this point, or close to it, and its a monitor and computer in one sort of deal. Thanks for your suggestions.

Spoom182 on

• Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In the spirit of giving you could always let someone who could really use it have it.

Or donate it to a school. I dunno really what you can do with an old iMac.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If it's one of the really old iMacs it's possible no one really wants it. Where I used to work, they still have a few rooms of eMacs and they run like champs (with enough ram anyway).

Anyway, assuming no one wants it or you just want to keep it, you could always rip the guts out of it and turn it into an aquarium or something. Apart from that I don't really have any other ideas.

Trentus on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoom182 wrote: »
    It's probably three years old at this point, or close to it, and its a monitor and computer in one sort of deal.

Then it's either an eMac or an iMac G5. Which version of OS X does it have? Put at least 1GB of RAM in it and a bigger hard drive and it'll run Leopard like a champ - Panther was the newest version when that model came out. It'll be perfectly fine for someone who wants to just get basic desktop use out of it. You could also sell it through a computer store.

If it's an eMac, don't bother trying to upgrade the hard drive. Those computers were not meant to be internally tinkered with.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Macs make good servers. I have a g4 cube I use as a file server and for Bit-Torrent. I can leave it on all the time because its really quiet. Its running Tiger on 1.25 gigs of ram and runs great considering its ancient.

lilB on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What model is it? Either the model name otr a decent description (CRT or flat screen, whether it's white, aluminium or fruity etc)

If it's only three years old it will do basically everything you could want it to do.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Spoom182Spoom182 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's an iMac G5, Mac OS X version 10.4.11. I'm liking that server idea, if nothing better comes up I think I'll look into that.

Spoom182 on
  • Options
    Seaborn111Seaborn111 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    just this last year i bought the top end 24" imac

which left my two year old, then top end, 20" white Core duo to just...chill.

He is now full of all my music, television shows and movies i can cram onto him. Also, media streaming to my xbox360. Best unused computer ever.

Seaborn111 on
    </bush>
    It's impossible for us to without a doubt prove the non-existence of God. We just have to take it on faith that he's imaginary..
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RBach wrote: »

This has been my plan for my TiBook. The goal is to cart it around with my MBP to be linked by an ethernet cable, and have Reason on one screen with MULab on the other. Instant portable dual-monitor setup.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Spoom182 wrote: »
    It's an iMac G5, Mac OS X version 10.4.11. I'm liking that server idea, if nothing better comes up I think I'll look into that.

Sell it, because it's still worth a good deal of money?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.