Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Movie Release Awareness - December '08 (Ex-Presidents, Aliens, and Wrestlers)

12346

Posts

  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was a little disappointed by Benjamin Button. It wasn't bad, but
    I thought it was going to be a bit more surreal/fantastical. If you ignore the fact that he ages backwards (which isn't really explored in depth at all), it was kind of a generic romance movie

    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Carrey was a great Riddler, but I'll never look at Jones' Two Face the same way again after Dark Knight. Now that's a Two Face.

    LmDS31r.png
    The 24 Districts: you can't forget about time, but time will remember you. Kill The Past
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I don't care what anyone says, Batman Forever was okay

    It was cheesy and cliched but it had Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones and that guy who played Alfred and it was okay alright? It was at least better than the first one

    Batman and Robin was the terrible one that nearly killed the franchise

    Just so we're clear, by first one, are you making the argument that Batman Forever was better then Batman? That is what you're saying, right? Or, are you saying that it was better then the 1960's Batman movie? You're wrong in either case, but how wrong you ARE varies depending on which movie you consider "first."

    Actually, of the four Burton/Schumacher movies, I'd easily consider Forever to be the best.

    Agreed. I get so visibly angry if I try to watch a Burton Batman movie that people ask me if I'm feeling alright. I didn't even like the first one when I saw it at 9 years old in the theater.

    charliesexy1_zpsy4nxg5nk.jpg

    PSN: krayven1980
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't imagine a nine year old not liking Batman, much less Batman Returns.

    I enjoy Batman & Robin the most because I laugh every time Arnold utters a line, but in terms of quality Returns is my favorite Pre-Nolan film.

  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited December 2008
    When I was 9, Batman just bored the shit out of me. When I was older and a fan of the character, it actively irritated me. I never saw Returns more than the one time in the theater until a couple years ago. I had the misfortune of seeing Danny Devito controlling the batmobile via one of those kids rumble vehicles they have outside grocery stores. It was at that time, I realized Batman Returns is actually worse than Batman & Robin.

    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • thorpethorpe Registered User
    edited December 2008
    The Wrestler was so fucking good you guys and Benjamin Button as an aside is so schmaltzy and sentimental it made me want to puke.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User
    edited December 2008
    There is not enough Gran Torino in this thread. It is truly fantastic.

    The fact that it's absent from the OP while Benjamin Button has "(Yesssssssss)" next to it makes me want to puke. Clint would fuck you up for somethin like that.

    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Clint scares me, though. He looks like a zombie :( Also, my theater doesn't have Gran Torino cause it's dumb. So I can only be excited for Benjamin Button.

    Side note: I work at a theater and we have this rich old doorman (who works so he's not bored) who makes up dumb names for all the movies. Benjamin Button has become Benjy Buttmans. And he brings in a megaphone.

    So every 3 hours it's, "Now seating Benjy Buttmans"

    old people.

    !! ! ! !!
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    thorpe wrote: »
    The Wrestler was so fucking good you guys and Benjamin Button as an aside is so schmaltzy and sentimental it made me want to puke.

    I won't get to see The Wrestler till after January 9th. I so want to see it.

    scale3nk0.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wanted to see Valkyrie, but the thread for it seems kinda... meh.

    What about the other WWII movie coming out, with Daniel Craig? I can't even remember the name. :|

    They've been advertising it quite a bit... is that this year? Or do I need to wait for the next thread? :P

    steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No Wrestler in my town sadly. I really really wanted to see The Spirit Last night but my girlfriend said it looked awful, instead we saw Seven Pounds. A think a more fitting name would be , MakeYouCry2008. I really enjoyed it though.

  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Daniel Craig WWII movie does look pretty good, though I'm worried that they may have taken a few liberties with the story to make it more palatable, which is something I generally don't like.

    Also, I feel like I've seen enough WW II movies.

  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't imagine a nine year old not liking Batman, much less Batman Returns.

    I enjoy Batman & Robin the most because I laugh every time Arnold utters a line, but in terms of quality Returns is my favorite Pre-Nolan film.

    I guess I was an early reader or something, because I'd been reading Batman for a little while before I saw the movie. I've been a huge Batman fan since I was about 6.

    Anyway, even at 9, I wondered just why the hell Batman was killing people in the movie, why Kim Basinger was so damn annoying, why Billy Dee Williams was Harvey Dent, and why there were so many Prince songs.

    charliesexy1_zpsy4nxg5nk.jpg

    PSN: krayven1980
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Just got back from Doubt and I give it a resounding meh.

    I read somewhere (maybe in this thread) that at least the ending was satisfying. Clearly that person has a completely different perception of closure than I do, because the entire film (and especially the ending) really left me wanting.

    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    There is not enough Gran Torino in this thread. It is truly fantastic.

    The fact that it's absent from the OP while Benjamin Button has "(Yesssssssss)" next to it makes me want to puke. Clint would fuck you up for somethin like that.
    I've explained why Gran Torino is missing from the OP.

    It opens wide in January, not December.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shadowfire wrote:
    What about the other WWII movie coming out, with Daniel Craig? I can't even remember the name.
    Defiance, which keeps getting pushed back over and over again.

    Not to mention that it is getting terrible reviews.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I saw Yes Man, which was a bit of cotton candy with Zooey Deschanel thrown in, so it was like super sweet cotton candy.

    Taking a lady friend to Benjamin Button on Tuesday, good date movie?

  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    meatflower wrote: »
    There is not enough Gran Torino in this thread. It is truly fantastic.

    The fact that it's absent from the OP while Benjamin Button has "(Yesssssssss)" next to it makes me want to puke. Clint would fuck you up for somethin like that.
    I've explained why Gran Torino is missing from the OP.

    It opens wide in January, not December.

    Ah. I heaven't read the whole thread so I didn't know.

    It's hard to tell living in Los Angeles (and probably any major city) when a movie is still in a "limited" release nationwide. It's been in most theaters here since mid December.

    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    meatflower wrote: »
    There is not enough Gran Torino in this thread. It is truly fantastic.

    The fact that it's absent from the OP while Benjamin Button has "(Yesssssssss)" next to it makes me want to puke. Clint would fuck you up for somethin like that.
    I've explained why Gran Torino is missing from the OP.

    It opens wide in January, not December.

    Ah. I heaven't read the whole thread so I didn't know.

    It's hard to tell living in Los Angeles (and probably any major city) when a movie is still in a "limited" release nationwide. It's been in most theaters here since mid December.
    Yeah, LA gets every limited release, ever.

    I still haven't gotten Milk or Frost/Nixon.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ebert's review of Benjamin Button makes me laugh uncontrollably for some reason.

    Review enclosed if you don't feel like going to www.rogerebert.com
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

    by Roger Ebert

    "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is a splendidly made film based on a profoundly mistaken premise. It tells the story of a man who is old when he is born and an infant when he dies. All those around him, everyone he knows and loves, grow older in the usual way, and he passes them on the way down. As I watched the film, I became consumed by a conviction that this was simply wrong.

    Let me paraphrase the oldest story I know: In the beginning, there was nothing, and then God said, "Let there be light." Everything comes after the beginning, and we all seem to share this awareness of the direction of time's arrow. There is a famous line by e.e. cummings that might seem to apply to Benjamin Button: and down he forgot as up he grew. But no, it involves the process of forgetting our youth as we grow older.

    We begin a movie or novel and assume it will tell a story in chronological time. Flashbacks and flash-forwards, we understand. If it moves backward through a story (Harold Pinter's "Betrayal"), its scenes reflect a chronology seen out of order. If a day repeats itself (Harold Ramis' "Groundhog Day"), each new day begins with the hero awakening and moving forward. If time is fractured into branching paths ("Synecdoche, New York"), it is about how we attempt to control our lives. Even time-travel stories always depend on the inexorable direction of time.

    Yes, you say, but Benjamin Button's story is a fantasy. I realize that. It can invent as much as it pleases. But the film's admirers speak of how deeply they were touched, what meditations it invoked. I felt instead: Life doesn't work this way. We are an observer of our passage, and so are others. It has been proposed that one reason people marry is because they desire a witness to their lives. How could we perform that act of love if we were aging in opposite directions?

    The movie's premise devalues any relationship, makes futile any friendship or romance, and spits, not into the face of destiny, but backward into the maw of time. It even undermines the charm of compound interest. In the film, Benjamin (Brad Pitt) as an older man is enchanted by a younger girl (Cate Blanchett). Later in the film, when he is younger and she is older, they make love. This is presumably meant to be the emotional high point. I shuddered. No! No! What are they thinking during sex? What fantasies apply? Does he remember her as a girl? Does she picture the old man she loved?

    Pitt will of course be nominated for best actor and may deserve it because of his heroic struggle in the performance. Yes, he had to undergo much makeup, create body language and perform physically to be manipulated by computers. He portrays the Ages of Man with much skill. That goes with the territory. But how did he prepare emotionally? What exercises would the Method suggest? You can't go through life waving goodbye. He is born looking like a baby with all the infirmities old age. He grows younger, until he resembles Brad Pitt, and then a younger Brad Pitt, and then -- we do not follow him all the way as he recedes into the temporal distance.

    The film was directed by David Fincher, no stranger to labyrinths ("Zodiac," "Fight Club"). The screenplay is by Eric Roth, who wrote "Forrest Gump" and reprises the same approach, by having his hero's condition determine his life experience. To say, however, that Roth "adapted" the original short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald would be putting it mildly. Fitzgerald wrote a comic farce, which Roth has made a forlorn elegy. Roth's approach makes Benjamin the size of a baby at birth. Fitzgerald sardonically but consistently goes the other way: The child is born as an old man, and grows smaller and shorter until he is finally a bottle-fed baby. Not much is said about Benjamin's mother, which is a pity, because he is 5-feet-8 at birth, and I wonder how much pushing that required.

    I said the film is well-made, and so it is. The actors are the best: Taraji P. Henson, Julia Ormond, Elias Koteas, Tilda Swinton. Given the resources and talent here, quite a movie might have resulted. But it's so hard to care about this story. There is no lesson to be learned. No catharsis is possible. In Fitzgerald's version, even Benjamin himself fails to comprehend his fate. He's born as a man with a waist-length beard who can read the encyclopedia, but in childhood, plays with toys and throws temper tantrums, has to be spanked and then disappears into a wordless reverie. "Benjamin" rejects these logical consequences because, I suspect, an audience wouldn't sit still for them.

    According to the oddsmakers at MovieCityNews, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" is third among the top five favorites for best picture. It may very well win. It expends Oscar-worthy talents on an off-putting gimmick. I can't imagine many people wanting to see the movie twice. There was another film this year that isn't in the "top five," or listed among the front-runners at all, and it's a profound consideration of the process of living and aging. That's Charlie Kaufman's "Synecdoche, New York." It will be viewed and valued decades from now. You mark my words.

    It reminds me of his review of Treasure Planet, which was I movie I enjoyed to a degree, but he just couldn't accept the premise and dismissed the movie out of hand.

  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Saw Repo: The Genetic Opera, and man I was dissapointed.

    I'm actually a fan of musicals, rock, and gore, so I had been meaning to see this movie, but at the end it was just very, very meh. It has a sligthly interesting premise, but the story doesn't go anywhere and the music is more repetitive than catchy.

    I think the highlight of the movie was telling a group of girls sitting behind me to shut the fuck up, as they'd been talking through out all the previews and one had just said "I know, let's sing the songs!" as apparently this was the fourth time they seen the movie.

    I then went home and was introduced to the Buffy musical episode, so it ending on a good note.

    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Willeth wrote: »
    ITT: We don't need to fully read others posts.

    True. In addition, we don't need to fully read one another's posts.
  • NatanekoNataneko Registered User
    edited December 2008
    The movie's premise devalues any relationship, makes futile any friendship or romance, and spits, not into the face of destiny, but backward into the maw of time. It even undermines the charm of compound interest. In the film, Benjamin (Brad Pitt) as an older man is enchanted by a younger girl (Cate Blanchett). Later in the film, when he is younger and she is older, they make love. This is presumably meant to be the emotional high point. I shuddered. No! No! What are they thinking during sex? What fantasies apply? Does he remember her as a girl? Does she picture the old man she loved?

    I haven't seen the movie yet, so maybe I'm wrong, but why does he (and a lot of review i've read) get all revolted by the fact that "oooh old man young girl"? I mean, in the movie they are both young, it's just his body is old. Only his body ages backward. right? That's what I got from the preview, why didn't they get that?

  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck my jams are grape, jock, and space Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really liked Benjamin Button.

    I thought it had a nice dual message, which I'll spoiler just in case:
    1) there are some things you can't change about life, and you should accept those things (like the fact that your loved ones will die).

    2) there are many things you can change about life. For those things, you are never too old or too young -- there are no rules to life, no proper way of living.

    The only part I didn't really get was the Katrina tie-in

  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nataneko wrote: »
    The movie's premise devalues any relationship, makes futile any friendship or romance, and spits, not into the face of destiny, but backward into the maw of time. It even undermines the charm of compound interest. In the film, Benjamin (Brad Pitt) as an older man is enchanted by a younger girl (Cate Blanchett). Later in the film, when he is younger and she is older, they make love. This is presumably meant to be the emotional high point. I shuddered. No! No! What are they thinking during sex? What fantasies apply? Does he remember her as a girl? Does she picture the old man she loved?

    I haven't seen the movie yet, so maybe I'm wrong, but why does he (and a lot of review i've read) get all revolted by the fact that "oooh old man young girl"? I mean, in the movie they are both young, it's just his body is old. Only his body ages backward. right? That's what I got from the preview, why didn't they get that?

    A couple members of my family had about the same reaction, but yes, this is how it is handled. They make it painfully obvious that despite the different ages physically, they are the same mentally. I really don't see what the big issue with it is.

    76561198012008588.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, Let the Right One In is apparently one of the best movies of the year. I thought it was some tween horseshit Twilight cash-in, but after seeing several people call it the best vampire movie ever made, I'm interested.

    You'd think it'd premiere here, since it's a Swedish movie, but I guess not.

    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So, Let the Right One In is apparently one of the best movies of the year. I thought it was some tween horseshit Twilight cash-in, but after seeing several people call it the best vampire movie ever made, I'm interested.

    You'd think it'd premiere here, since it's a Swedish movie, but I guess not.

    I loved that movie, and I would hurt you so bad if I could for even comparing it to Twilight. I don't know if it's top ten material(simply because there were so many good movies this year), but it's quite a neat little vampire movie.

    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Willeth wrote: »
    ITT: We don't need to fully read others posts.

    True. In addition, we don't need to fully read one another's posts.
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So, Let the Right One In is apparently one of the best movies of the year. I thought it was some tween horseshit Twilight cash-in, but after seeing several people call it the best vampire movie ever made, I'm interested.

    You'd think it'd premiere here, since it's a Swedish movie, but I guess not.

    I loved that movie, and I would hurt you so bad if I could for even comparing it to Twilight. I don't know if it's top ten material(simply because there were so many good movies this year), but it's quite a neat little vampire movie.

    I think I'm the only person that didn't really like Let the Right One In, though I may very well be weird. I ended up spending a good 2/3 of the movie trying to figure out if
    the main character was supposed to be retarded. Not as in incompetent or anything judgemental, just literally slow. I don't know what it is, but the entire time the actor (who is admittedly just a kid, and I'm not making fun of him) had either a vacant stare or this look of pure innocent delight that just seemed ... off.

    Though I also didn't like The Dark Knight much, despite some really amazing bits, because I thought the plot holes were glaring and just sloppy, so maybe I'm not the person to ask these things.

  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS
    edited December 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So, Let the Right One In is apparently one of the best movies of the year. I thought it was some tween horseshit Twilight cash-in, but after seeing several people call it the best vampire movie ever made, I'm interested.

    You'd think it'd premiere here, since it's a Swedish movie, but I guess not.

    I loved that movie, and I would hurt you so bad if I could for even comparing it to Twilight. I don't know if it's top ten material(simply because there were so many good movies this year), but it's quite a neat little vampire movie.

    Though I also didn't like The Dark Knight much, despite some really amazing bits, because I thought the plot holes were glaring and just sloppy, so maybe I'm not the person to ask these things.


    I. WILL. EAT. YOUR. SOUL-L-L-L-L-L!

    ...it's in the shape of a giant c**k.
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So, Let the Right One In is apparently one of the best movies of the year. I thought it was some tween horseshit Twilight cash-in, but after seeing several people call it the best vampire movie ever made, I'm interested.

    You'd think it'd premiere here, since it's a Swedish movie, but I guess not.

    I loved that movie, and I would hurt you so bad if I could for even comparing it to Twilight. I don't know if it's top ten material(simply because there were so many good movies this year), but it's quite a neat little vampire movie.

    Though I also didn't like The Dark Knight much, despite some really amazing bits, because I thought the plot holes were glaring and just sloppy, so maybe I'm not the person to ask these things.


    I. WILL. EAT. YOUR. SOUL-L-L-L-L-L!

    It's not my fault! I want to love it, because Ledger is amazing and there are some great scenes, but the plot just has so many stupid, unnecessary holes in it!
    Like the part where Jokers escape from the police station could have been stopped by the simple precaution of NOT locking a cop in a cell with the lunatic.

    Or when the Joker is chasing Dent in the police car and they randomly pull out of the tunnel and there just happens to be one of Joker's henchmen in just the right place to bring down the helicopter that comes by.

    Or after that when batman decides not to hit the Joker on his bike he decides to wreck instead of just, for example, driving around him and then coming back to kick his ass.

    And so on.

  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Registered User
    edited December 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    Just got back from Doubt and I give it a resounding meh.

    I read somewhere (maybe in this thread) that at least the ending was satisfying. Clearly that person has a completely different perception of closure than I do, because the entire film (and especially the ending) really left me wanting.

    Eh, I mentioned that I really liked the ending. I'm guessing you're probably the type of person that hated the ending to No Country, eh?
    Seriously though, a lot of the movie is about ambiguity and not knowing for sure, I think it would have been a happy little copout for you to find out if Flynn was guilty. Moreover, the direction it took Meryl Streep's character was really interesting to me. Here we have the total relentless and aggressive pillar of the movie and at the end she's a blubbering mess in front of the most innocent character. This wasn't closure as far as content of the story goes, but it was closure in terms of the message

    Also, I saw Gran Torino a few days ago and it's 'meh'. It's god damned hilarious because it's basically Clint Eastwood throwing out a racial slur every minute and just being a badass. At one point he literally tells some hooligans to "Get off my lawn." Also, every performance (with almost no exceptions) besides his own is so fuckawful it's distracting. It's really not a great movie and I'm not sure where the hell his head was at for this.

    Werehippy - While TDK wasn't entirely free of plot holes, all of those you mentioned are very easily explainable. Please let's not turn this into a TDK debate thread, but I do think if those things are in the way of you liking the movie and can be easily addressed, then I'm going to go for it.
    1 - Them locking a cop in there at the door wasn't an issue, it was the guy being a dumbass and falling for Joker's taunting that resulted in him escaping. An armed cop doing his job probably wouldn't have allowed for Joker to escape there.

    2 - Uhm, Joker led the people down the tunnel, why wouldn't he have people posted up to take care of the chopper that almost certainly would be there at the end of the tunnel he knew they were going to be forced to go to? Joker proved himself to be a master of planning, that one wasn't unbelievable at all.

    3 - Batman pretty much struggles with the decision of whether or not just to murder Joker right there, and only at the very last minute decides to refrain from it. Batman just "driving around him adn then coming back to kick his ass." would have diminished the difficulty of the decision Batman was grappling with the entire movie to break his one rule for the Joker.

  • lonelyahavalonelyahava One day, I will be able to say to myself "I am beautiful and I am perfect just the way I am"Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well yeah, Valkyrie's ending is pretty expected....

    Also haven't gotten Milk here yet...

    Stupid limited releases....

  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Saw this trailer in front of The Day the Earth Stood Still

    How did I not know that there was a new movie in the "Liam Neeson: Ultimate Badass" genre coming out?
    I would like to subscribe to that movies newsletter.

    Jan 30? I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it
    Honestly what more could anyone ever want in a movie beyond Liam Neeson kicking the shit out of everyone and being bad ass?

    I saw that movie a few weeks ago. Either there was an early European release or the Asian mall I bought it from sold me a pirated version. It is a badass movie, basically Commando with Liam Neeson.

    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Who lives Who dies Who Guacamoles? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well yeah, Valkyrie's ending is pretty expected....

    Also haven't gotten Milk here yet...

    Stupid limited releases....
    I already made that joke. Also, Milk is pretty good, although it also has a predictable ending.

    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gran Torino is really good.

  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Well yeah, Valkyrie's ending is pretty expected....

    Also haven't gotten Milk here yet...

    Stupid limited releases....
    I already made that joke. Also, Milk is pretty good, although it also has a predictable ending.

    do they kill hitler????!?!?!?

  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's funny, cause for the last few years Eastwood has been firing on all cylinders, but his two releases this year weren't as well received as say..Mystic River or Million Dollar Baby.

    And I thought I couldn't be more hype for the Wrestler, but after reading Bret Hart's book, I find myself being wrong.

    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Willeth wrote: »
    ITT: We don't need to fully read others posts.

    True. In addition, we don't need to fully read one another's posts.
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I didn't get a chance to see Changeling, I'll have to wait for the DVD.

  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mattie wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Saw this trailer in front of The Day the Earth Stood Still

    How did I not know that there was a new movie in the "Liam Neeson: Ultimate Badass" genre coming out?
    I would like to subscribe to that movies newsletter.

    Jan 30? I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of it
    Honestly what more could anyone ever want in a movie beyond Liam Neeson kicking the shit out of everyone and being bad ass?

    I saw that movie a few weeks ago. Either there was an early European release or the Asian mall I bought it from sold me a pirated version. It is a badass movie, basically Commando with Liam Neeson.

    If there was ever any chance I wouldn't see this movie, that right there demolished it.

    Also, the movie apparently came out in Europe months ago and is only now reaching the US.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax Who lives Who dies Who Guacamoles? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    geckahn wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Well yeah, Valkyrie's ending is pretty expected....

    Also haven't gotten Milk here yet...

    Stupid limited releases....
    I already made that joke. Also, Milk is pretty good, although it also has a predictable ending.

    do they kill hitler????!?!?!?
    Yes, Hitler died July 20 1944.

    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    werehippy wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So, Let the Right One In is apparently one of the best movies of the year. I thought it was some tween horseshit Twilight cash-in, but after seeing several people call it the best vampire movie ever made, I'm interested.

    You'd think it'd premiere here, since it's a Swedish movie, but I guess not.

    I loved that movie, and I would hurt you so bad if I could for even comparing it to Twilight. I don't know if it's top ten material(simply because there were so many good movies this year), but it's quite a neat little vampire movie.

    Though I also didn't like The Dark Knight much, despite some really amazing bits, because I thought the plot holes were glaring and just sloppy, so maybe I'm not the person to ask these things.


    I. WILL. EAT. YOUR. SOUL-L-L-L-L-L!

    It's not my fault! I want to love it, because Ledger is amazing and there are some great scenes, but the plot just has so many stupid, unnecessary holes in it!
    Like the part where Jokers escape from the police station could have been stopped by the simple precaution of NOT locking a cop in a cell with the lunatic.

    Or when the Joker is chasing Dent in the police car and they randomly pull out of the tunnel and there just happens to be one of Joker's henchmen in just the right place to bring down the helicopter that comes by.

    Or after that when batman decides not to hit the Joker on his bike he decides to wreck instead of just, for example, driving around him and then coming back to kick his ass.

    And so on.


    Your reasons for not liking The Dark Knight reek of someone who was looking for a reason to not like the Dark Knight. Just letting you know.

    On a different topic... I actually kind of enjoyed The Spirit. It didn't take itself seriously at all, and that really made it watchable.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
Sign In or Register to comment.