Options

Let's have tea at my [Chat]eau

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I mean I have been firmly pro-loom from the beginning, but I gotta admit that sometimes even I am at a loss (i.e. the recent analysis of Bacon's work in the doodle thread).
    But that is not to say that I think your thoughts on Bacon's piece were dumb, just what you managed to type out. And on the whole, I'd say your grammar has been improving, so don't give up or anything. Just be prepared for the occasional ribbing because that is what people do.

On a different note, the new Mirror's Edge content looks sweet as hell. I've only played the demo, but these levels make me want the game more than the game itself.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    no_toast wrote: »
    Loomdun, having studied English as a third language...

Horray for polyglots! You speak Finnish, English and what other language?

Does pig latin count as a language?
    What about squirrel?

btw, I saw a hawk devouring one in the middle of my campus today. People were gathering around all like "Wow, look, nature!" Silly city folk.

[edit] Man, I'm trying to make a CD for my best friend, but somehow I honestly don't really know what kind of music he likes at all. This is really easy for all sorts of people I don't know as well, yet I can't do it for the guy I've known for 9 years.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Edit: *Badass Christmas/holiday ads. http://www.abduzeedo.com/inspiration-christmas-ads

...except that ACE ad... what the hell.

So, yeah... new pepsi ads Great illustration/design... but what the fuck, seriously.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy shit. These Massive Black videos are amazing, and damn helpful.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    @srsizzy: Squirrel is acceptable, as long as you do not require helium to attain the proper pitch.

@Prospicience: huh... those pepsi ads remind me of these http://www.jimmyr.com/blog/Bunny_Suicide_Comic_Pics_226_2007.php

Suicide bunnies FTW

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just heard that one of the pieces I did for The New York times is going full page! BONUS!

Moss on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Moss wrote: »
    Just heard that one of the pieces I did for The New York times is going full page! BONUS!

Awesome, which ads man? I wanna keep a lookout.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Not ads. I was commissioned by New York Times magazine to illustrate their 'Ideas' issue.

Moss on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Not ads. I was commissioned by New York Times magazine to illustrate their 'Ideas' issue.

Ah nice... sorry, my mind is on ads today haha. Anywho, let us know when they're gonna be in the NYT.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Moss wrote:
    Awesome news

Congratulations!

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ah nice... sorry, my mind is on ads today haha.

It's soul consuming, isn't it?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I don't have a soul... I lost it to advertising.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It isn't so much about your intelligence... just how your intelligence gets perceived because of your writing.

It's not about his intelligence at all. In fact, if he really is dyslexic, his IQ is likely to be higher than normal. It's just that he can't write for shit- at least on his first try.

Wowza. Congrats.

Tam on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Go Moss!

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy crap, Moss, that's fantastic!

Bottle of e-champagne for you! :D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I prefer wine, tyvm.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

I don't have a soul... I lost it to advertising.

AHAHhahahahaha!!! Oh man! This made my day!!! I swear, if I could give out points for coolness, you'd have all of them!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thanks dudes! 'm super stoked. Issue comes out December 14th. I'd post the work but I'm under contract :(

Moss on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2008
    Awesome, Moss!

My sister has said (because she's probably going to move soon and wants to keep her number of possessions down) that I shouldn't send her a Christmas present, and instead either give her nothing, or take the money I would have spent (which would be $0 because I was planning on just painting something for her anyway and I already have all the shit to do so here) and give it to the Salvation Army.

Am I the only one that thinks that either of those things are fucking lame-ass when it comes to giving gifts? Not that giving money to charity is a bad thing, but as a gift it's just so impersonal.

At least my brother knows what's what, and threw out the words "hospital" "quality" and "marauder" as inspiration for his X-mas gift painting. :D

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    It isn't so much about your intelligence... just how your intelligence gets perceived because of your writing.

It's not about his intelligence at all. In fact, if he really is dyslexic, his IQ is likely to be higher than normal. It's just that he can't write for shit- at least on his first try.

So I suppose the question should be, "Is he fully dyslexic, or partially dyslexic?"

[edit]Wow, terrible TOTP

Nappuccino on

• Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    His problems are more than dyslexia, well maybe less: it's more he doesn't put in any effort --- if you can talk you can write, all he has to do is talk into a recorder and write what he hears. It's not that his mistakes are spelling errors and stuff like that; it's fundamental word order and grammar that he is failing at.
    But I think its more likely that he just can't communicate in general.

Virum on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2008
    Awesome, Moss!

My sister has said (because she's probably going to move soon and wants to keep her number of possessions down) that I shouldn't send her a Christmas present, and instead either give her nothing, or take the money I would have spent (which would be $0 because I was planning on just painting something for her anyway and I already have all the shit to do so here) and give it to the Salvation Army.

Am I the only one that thinks that either of those things are fucking lame-ass when it comes to giving gifts? Not that giving money to charity is a bad thing, but as a gift it's just so impersonal.

At least my brother knows what's what, and threw out the words "hospital" "quality" and "marauder" as inspiration for his X-mas gift painting. :D
    I've told lots of people to not get me gifts. They feel obligated, somehow, and I tell them not to feel obligated because it just makes me feel awkward.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Virum wrote: »
    His problems are more than dyslexia, well maybe less: it's more he doesn't put in any effort --- if you can talk you can write, all he has to do is talk into a recorder and write what he hears. It's not that his mistakes are spelling errors and stuff like that; it's fundamental word order and grammar that he is failing at.

I like firefox it gives me a grammar correction thing, I can right click on stuff and it corrects it for me.

If I wasn't putting effort in my stuff I would just type how I did at the beginning without any punctuation and merely placing what sounds right when my head thinks of stuff like this

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    Awesome, Moss!

I've told lots of people to not get me gifts. They feel obligated, somehow, and I tell them not to feel obligated because it just makes me feel awkward.

Dammit, man! Now I feel obligated to send you a present just out of spite.

It's not supposed to be about social obligations or the actual objects received or given (though it is nice if you actually like the gift), the act of giving is more of a mild display of goodwill/friendship/affection, like a hug/bro-hug.

So when people are like, "Hey I don't need a hug from you" or "You should go hug someone that's actually sad instead, I bet the homeless people on the corner could use a hug", it's sort of off-putting.

If there's logistical reasoning behind not wanting a physical object, one could at least argue down to a card or humorous .jpg instead of nothing, which just makes the gifter feel bad.

Maybe I just take Christmas presents way too seriously.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Virum wrote: »

I like firefox it gives me a grammar correction thing, I can right click on stuff and it corrects it for me.

That's a spell check, not a grammar check.

I like this new half-comprehensible language style of yours, Loom. You ought to try correct punctuation now.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I thought I did have proper punctuation. There is a period and a comma in there.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You actually had a comma splice in there (I think that's what its called.)

And missed a period.

I like firefox. It gives me a grammar correction thing. I can right click on stuff and it corrects it for me.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    Awesome, Moss!

Dammit, man! Now I feel obligated to send you a present just out of spite.

It's not supposed to be about social obligations or the actual objects received or given (though it is nice if you actually like the gift), the act of giving is more of a mild display of goodwill/friendship/affection, like a hug/bro-hug.

So when people are like, "Hey I don't need a hug from you" or "You should go hug someone that's actually sad instead, I bet the homeless people on the corner could use a hug", it's sort of off-putting.

If there's logistical reasoning behind not wanting a physical object, one could at least argue down to a card or humorous .jpg instead of nothing, which just makes the gifter feel bad.

Maybe I just take Christmas presents way too seriously.
    It has more to do with the types of gifts people get when they're just feeling obligated to give something. Like some cash or a gift certificate or hey you're a dude, dudes like SPORTS right here's this SPORTS item and also my whole being against wasteful consumerism just buying stuff because. Your paintings are different. They are priceless personalized objects that I can view and tell people about and would make me feel genuinely bad if I were ever to get rid of it or lose it.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Soooooo. I like warcraft 3

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I saw some talk about Zuda in a different thread. Would somebody mind filling me in on what it is/how it works?

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    KAWNRAWKNGLAKWERNGWALKGWAKNGWANRGWAG

i'm going crazy, I want to work on my stuff. But I can't work right now unless I'm around people

Edit: so instead i'm going to play warhammer on my computer tonight and call my super, duper, best, friend.... FOREVER, tomorrow And strap him against something somewhere near me so that my mind can focus on art.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have to come up with 2 paintings this weekend. Small ones. But entirely from scratch. I can not find the motivation.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    @ Loomdun and DR: I find that 1) getting some good, but relaxing music (the kind of stuff you can semi-block out) and 2) a place in the house/room that you never do anything else in are the two best ways to get the creative juices flowing.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Interesting! I was talking about this with some friends the other night, dedicated painting studio versus bedroom. I'm pro bedroom, because I find if I have dedicated work space then I'm able to close the door on it and avoid it. But if I've got a canvas half finished on an easel and i wake up to it every day, by fuck am I going to finish it just to make myself feel less awful.

I'm sure I'll wind up painting tonight when I'm bored though. I just need to start, that's the hard part. Then I'll be up til 3am working.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, really, what my two steps to is just help to get all the other distractions out of the way so its easier to focus on what you're doing :)

ex: I used to try drawing with a tablet/ at my desk, but i've since given up (more or less) because I would always feel compelled to use my computer as well.... a computer. Every 5 min or so, I'd have to go to some website somewhere. Going to a room down the hall with nothing else there made me forget I even had a computer and that distraction because nill :D

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    I usually paint with DVDs playing so my mind can be occupied while I'm working. Maybe it's the fact I've burned through my whole collection. And I don't really want to just listen to the sopranos, it's too good! (I have recently discovered this show and I love it)

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think I'd be too distracted if I were to draw and listen to a movie... mostly because I'd spend more time watching it than drawing lol. Although, I have done the "watch a movie and pause it randomly, then draw what's there" exercise before... that's pretty fun

Nappuccino on

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I usually paint with DVDs playing so my mind can be occupied while I'm working. Maybe it's the fact I've burned through my whole collection. And I don't really want to just listen to the sopranos, it's too good! (I have recently discovered this show and I love it)

Try painting without any sound period. It sounds crazy but it really works.

Godfather on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh, my. I forgot how much I enjoy the Henry Rollins Show. Classic.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is it just me, or is there far less art in these forums than, say, 6 months ago? 3 months? I don't know.

Next semester, I will have work to contribute to changing that.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
This discussion has been closed.