As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's have tea at my [Chat]eau

• LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    you would have to stand the animal noises

Loomdun on
    splat
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    loom wrote:
    And I clean my dishes and other peoples dishes when i'm bored.

You should come around to my house next time you're bored, I'm a god damned pig......well right up till it gets unbearable and then I lose the plot and turn into one of those middle aged women who are obsessive about cleaning things with highly abbrasive chemicals and then once it's spotless I turn back into a pig again for 2-3 weeks.

Oh my god, it's like you are my perfect twin! (as far as cleaning and such goes)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    why do people not pay attention in class? Why do they take the class when they don't pay any attention to a teacher who is very good at drawing and showing you the basics? I mean. It baffles me, why are they even taking a human anatomy class if they care so little and complain so much? It's not even required.

Edit: complain complain complain

Loomdun on
    splat
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    I think my goddamn tablet pen slipped out of my bag on the plane :x Its fucking finals goddamn it I need that pen. Where the hell did it go.

Iruka on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    loom wrote:
    And I clean my dishes and other peoples dishes when i'm bored.

You should come around to my house next time you're bored, I'm a god damned pig......well right up till it gets unbearable and then I lose the plot and turn into one of those middle aged women who are obsessive about cleaning things with highly abbrasive chemicals and then once it's spotless I turn back into a pig again for 2-3 weeks.

This is totally me. Living with two girls, one of whom gets really shitty over things not being clean, helps with this. I eat out of disposable plastic microwaveable takeaway containers a lot of the time because I cook in bulk to freeze and reheat, and fuck dirtying up a plate and creating work for myself when I can throw away my troubles.

I am an awful person.

EDIT: I'm so glad I got TOTP for this admission of eco-unfriendly slobbery.

desperaterobots on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Iruka wrote: »
    I think my goddamn tablet pen slipped out of my bag on the plane :x Its fucking finals goddamn it I need that pen. Where the hell did it go.

Fun fact: Digital tablets also respond to magnets put inside of a turkey baster

Fun fact: Previous fact is untrue

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    I wish it were true. I may try it out of desperation anyway.

Iruka on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ohh my god. My friend baked me the most amazing cake for my birthday. This is freaking art.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/Kochikens/birthday029.jpg

And she made me a little Companion Cube charm for my cellphone to go with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/Kochikens/birthday017.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/Kochikens/birthday053-1.jpg

Stupidly happy right now.

Kochikens on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Haha that's fantastic!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey tam, I've restarted the net, illustrated this time (the colours won't be so bright once I've dirtied it up in PS).

heytam.png

Jake! on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kochikens wrote: »
    ohh my god. My friend baked me the most amazing cake for my birthday. This is freaking art.

You have an awesome friend.

yalborap on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man, i could go for a nice cup of coffee and a piece of that cake right now

winter_combat_knight on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So sorry. You cannot eat it. I have consumed it all. That photo is, well. A lie, you might say.

yesmy friend is awesome omg and trust me. It was delicious.

Kochikens on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Jake, what is that?

• GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Iruka wrote: »

Fun fact: Digital tablets also respond to magnets put inside of a turkey baster

Fun fact: Previous fact is untrue

lol

Grenn on
    edited December 2008
    Jake, what is that?

It's a paint/remake of the lamp in my dump thread.

Just sitting on a train trying to decide if the top figure is going to be God, the devil, an alien, the foetus thing from 2001, or some other ethereal figure.

Jake! on
    edited December 2008
    Farout. I always enjoyed that lamp. And well, just about everything else in that thread.

P.S. the foetus thing from 2001 is the Star Child.

• r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kochikens wrote: »

My cake was better :P
    l_241ab0c99d0149078a3ff981d5a00e94.jpg

r-jasper on
    edited December 2008
    Glee! I've been invited to show some stuff in two more exhibitions!

I'm gonna make it after alllllll!

desperaterobots on
    edited December 2008
    Boss Sauce! Do you have anything left over from the first exhibit, or will you need to paint some more?

edited December 2008
    I've got a few bits left over. But yeah I'll need to get my paint on again. Good excuse!

desperaterobots on
    edited December 2008
    congrats DR!

r-jasper on
  • no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've got a few bits left over. But yeah I'll need to get my paint on again. Good excuse!

That sounds great! Are you gonna have same kind of theme with the future pieces?

no_toast on
    edited December 2008
    Dunno! I'm sketching the fuck out of my moleskin at the moment looking for my next groove, but I don't think I'll shake the sci-fi apocalypse thing for a while. It's just too fun. :D

desperaterobots on
    edited December 2008
    why fix it if it's not broken? ;)

r-jasper on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    @DR: That's aces, mate.

@Jake: Wtf, why have I never seen your thread before? Those paper things are awesome. It makes me want to make stuff like that for presents...though I don't feel as though I have the time.

You know what else is aces? Finally being able to say you're in a relationship. Aww yeah.
    Albeit, it is a very unserious/uncertain one, but when it's with your childhood crush/long-time best friend, you take what you can get (even if it's just holding hands at a bus station for a few minutes).
    Ugh, I am a happy person lately.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited December 2008
    That's cute srsizzy. Top stuff.

desperaterobots on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MKR on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MKR wrote: »

I did not find most of those to be mind-blowing. But there was a couple of interesting pieces. A lot of photo paint over or direct photo manipulation though.

rts on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MKR wrote: »

I did not find most of those to be mind-blowing. But there was a couple of interesting pieces. A lot of photo paint over or direct photo manipulation though.

Ya I was a little depressed on digital art when I realized how common those practices where. Mainly why I'm trying to do everything off computer, for better or worse. I also remember seeing a lot of these a few years ago and being far more impressed, but that's probably a testament to how terrible I was back then. ;D

Still really like em and all.

Shiboe on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The practices of photo paint-over and photo manipulation as mediums for art is incredibly common, which is really sad in my opinion. Even Spectrum, which boasts the best scifi and fantasy artwork each year, is full of that kind of work.

I was always of the opinion that photography should not be called painting.

rts on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    well fuck, i missed the james bond discussion.

posting my choice for best actors and actresses to play james bond anyway.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=965118511747363792&ei=r101Sd2rKpLAqAK5-sCqCQ

ManonvonSuperock on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I saw the Bodies exhibit last night. It amazed me and creeped me out.

MagicToaster on
    edited December 2008
    srsizzy wrote: »
    @DR: That's aces, mate.

@Jake: Wtf, why have I never seen your thread before? Those paper things are awesome. It makes me want to make stuff like that for presents...though I don't feel as though I have the time.

Cheers, I think its going to be my xmas present to people this year, printed but not constructed, then I can post em out easily.

Mars: cheers, but I think I prefer space foetus ;)

Jake! on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    The practices of photo paint-over and photo manipulation as mediums for art is incredibly common, which is really sad in my opinion. Even Spectrum, which boasts the best scifi and fantasy artwork each year, is full of that kind of work.

So in your mind, photo manipulation is the same as photography?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Jill Greenberg would beg to differ.

*Well, not entirely. But, she says that painting has more of an influence than photography does on her work.

Prospicience on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Can digital art ever really be considered "mind blowing"?

To me, digital art is, by its very nature, meant to be 'computer asisted' to some degree, in order for artists to produce work quickly and efficiently. I would go so far as to say it's even throwaway.

Yes, you get fabulously talented people producing work in a digital medium but I don't think it's anywhere as mind blowing as "the real thing."

A recent visit to the Tate Britain was mind blowing. HUGE paintings which took years. Even seeing them on a computer screen just doesn't accurately convey the amount of time/effort involved in such undertakings.

Also, by way of sharing the work of a contemporary artist I love, check out some of Dave Cooper's work/process:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davegraphics/sets/72057594073366629/

Grenn on
    edited December 2008
    Have you ever actually done digital work? It's no more "computer assisted" than traditional painting is "mass produced paint assisted."

edit: http://mkr.deviantart.com/favourites/#_browse/digitalart

I guess what I'm saying is that the time and effort involved do not automatically correlate to value.

MKR on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This will not end well.

MKR, that's a pretty bold statement. Personally both mediums are amazing to me and I respect them both (a shitton if you will). But, just a few things that set traditional apart from digital: A. there's no ctrl-z in real life, which leads to B. it takes a hell of a lot longer (am I wrong here?)

Prospicience on
    edited December 2008
    This will not end well.

MKR, that's a pretty bold statement. Personally both mediums are amazing to me and I respect them both (a shitton if you will). But, just a few things that set traditional apart from digital: A. it takes a hell of a lot longer (am I wrong here?) B. there's no ctrl-z in real life.

It just bugs me when someone (Grenn) suggests that one is better than the other because of the tools. There are digital painters who do it all on one layer, and a good digital piece can take a long time. Pixel art especially.

<3 digital and traditional.

MKR on
This discussion has been closed.