As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lock this thread.

• Options
    KizKiz Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I only used a handful of grenades on my play through on Normal, but I really started having an easier time once I got used to the melee. At first I found the combos a little hard to do (not sure if it was something to do with the timing/action queuing or what), but getting to grips with that really helped.

Generally if I saw someone start throwing a grenade I'd just shoot them so it'd drop at their feet, bum rush them if they're close enough to get a quick brutal combo on, or if that's not an option, just change your cover.

Kiz on
    PSN: Kiz-ziK | Gamertag: KizziK | Steam: Kizzik
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Great. So the video from a couple weeks ago was a teaser for ... another teaser.

I mean, it was still cool and all, but all I really want at this point is more info on changes to gameplay.

And a co-op mode.
    Fuck you guys.

Dirty on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »
    Hey regarding the first Uncharted, do I miss anything if I play on easy? Cause I'm playing on normal at the moment and its like the pirates I'm fighting must have hijacked a boat full of grenades.
    It takes a bit to get used to the action, but once you do you will be hurling grenades and kung fu-ing with the best of them.

I would give it a bit more of a chance before switching to easy.

Well I've got to the
    flooded city
    section of the game on normal and honestly I'm not having any fun with the combat at all so I'm going to put it on easy.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    I'm holding out hope that 'female lead' actually means like, The Girl Who Double-Crosses Nate And Turns Out To Be The Villain's Girlfriend or perhaps The Sexy Bond-like Villain Who's Always One Step Ahead of Nate.

Female Lead doesn't mean "no Elena, no way, no how", does it?

Does it?

From the new Game Informer:
    Nolan North (Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed) reprises his role as irascible treasure hunter Nathan Drake. Capitalizing on his humor and enthusiasm, several of the brief interjections of dialogue throughout the new game emerged from North watching the game while the team recorded his reactions to onscreen events. These ad-libs are woven into the game audio to great effect.

Joining Drake is a new partner equally enmeshed in the seedy underworld of treasure hunting. Claudia Black (Stargate SG-1, Farscape) plays Australian Chloe Frazer, a tough but reckless treasure hunter who cooperates with Drake on his quest to unravel the mystery of Marco Polo's missing fleet. As for familiar faces like Elena and Sully, Naughty Dog has remained notably silent in response to queries about their inclusion.

To act out the cinematics of the game, Naughty Dog performed full body motion-capture on the characters and recorded extensive voiceover sessions on set as the actors delivered their scenes. Frequently, motion capture is completed separately from voiceovers, sometimes even by other actors. Naughty Dog went to the expense and difficulty of recording dialogue live to capture the real moment-to-moment chemistry between the actors.

The fact that they're keeping silent about it tells me we haven't seen the last of Elena and Sully, if not here then definitely in the inevitable Uncharted 3.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Excellent Trailer. I hope the silence means they (Elena and Sully) show up again in 2 even if it's a minor bit of it. Also managed to complete a easy run and most of the way through a normal run of Uncharted this weekend. Only missing the trophies for completing normal-crushing now. So awesome since I had not played since before the trophy patch prior to mid last week.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Scarab delivers with direct feed in-game goodness.

tamnhnsp080shj25mk34_snapshot20081215125341.jpg

capture10iq2.jpg

capture8vr9.jpg

capture6gm2.jpg

capture7kb9.jpg

capture2yo2.jpg

capture5cl8.jpg

huhhjq.jpg

20f4y7t.jpg

2mobn1v.jpg

un2e.jpg

un2c.jpg

un2d.jpg

un2b.jpg

Good to see ole' half-tuck returning.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Riot shield, eh? Please let there be a shoulder charge melee move with it to knock guys on their ass followed by a nice stomp or head shot.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Those have to be bullshots. The lines are too clean and images too much detail. However it does give a good feel for how the art direction will go and the location. Looking forward to this.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    They presented one of the best looking games of the generation thus far. Not the best but certainly high up there. I wouldn't be surprised if the reality is not far from them.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Those have to be bullshots. The lines are too clean and images too much detail. However it does give a good feel for how the art direction will go and the location. Looking forward to this.

Direct feed images. Not bullshots.

Unless you count imageshack reducing image size as bullshotting.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I think he's referring more to the shots being bullshots and not actual ingame engine stuff.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's at least one image in that lot with an obviously painted background. Probably something similar to concept.

Renzo on
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So thats the new sidekick? I was expecting worse, like Chance's youtube worse.
    Judging by the first screenshot, it looks like Mr. Drake will have his work cut out for him. D:

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Marikir wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I think he's referring more to the shots being bullshots and not actual ingame engine stuff.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the devs said that Uncharted 1 used about 30% of the PS3s power whereas this one uses closer to 90%. Take that as you will.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    According to Joystiq, Naughty Dog has confirmed them as all being in game shots. That's insane.

And I rented the first one, going to start on it tonight.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oooo an Australian young, female, sassy side-kick :) This can work.

Also, those screen shots are ridicliously gorgeous!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Listening to the Uncharted soundtrack on my iPod makes the day seem so much more epic.

I'm gonna go replay Uncharted 1 after I finish Valky C and continue to salivate in anticipation of Uncharted 2.

I kinda want to go give everyone at Naughty Dog a high five, and then my money. For more Unchartedy goodness.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well I guess it's time for me to start working on my Uncharted trophies :) , needs to be finished before U2 releases.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I restarted Uncharted last night. Good Lord I forgot how pretty and entertaining this game is!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well I guess it's time for me to start working on my Uncharted trophies :) , needs to be finished before U2 releases.

Why would you give Uncharted 2 an acronym, and especially one like that?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I restarted Uncharted last night. Good Lord I forgot how pretty and entertaining this game is!

I never really tire of the cut scenes either :) played it about 2 and a half times through now

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KizKiz Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anybody else notice a familiar object on the sign for Hotel El Dorado? God damn there's so much character in Uncharted. Those screenshots look gorgeous.

Kiz on
    PSN: Kiz-ziK | Gamertag: KizziK | Steam: Kizzik
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Because when Uncharted 2 releases it will be...a beautiful day.

Error on
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    2mobn1v.jpg

First Impressions:

The Art Direction of this character concept suggests to me that Chloe will be the Catwoman-type romantic foible to Drake's Batman. Not cutesy and innocent like Elena. More of a Femme Fatale. Expect her to help or hinder Nathan as need be only to further her own goals. This would fit right in with the Indiana Jonesish Action Adventure writing. Think Dr. Elsa Schneider from the Last Crusade.

Thus we will have a triangle. Nathan is obviously attracted to the very trusworthy Elena. But then the very hot Chloe, who is much more of a kindred spirit to the likes of Drake and Sullivan, arrives on the scene. However, she cannot be trusted as far as she can be thrown. What kinda hero would Drake be without a Ally/Nemesis love interest?

And that's what I get from one piece of concept art. Mostly because of the color scheme chosen. Black hair to Elena's Blonde. Thick black eyeliner, Red babydoll tee, black undershirt.

Agree? Disagree?

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Error wrote: »

Because when Uncharted 2 releases it will be...a beautiful day.

Eh, I used U2, because it was faster than typing out Uncharted 2... What are we, the acronym police? :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    2mobn1v.jpg
    First Impressions:

The Art Direction of this character concept suggests to me that Chloe will be the Catwoman-type romantic foible to Drake's Batman. Not cutesy and innocent like Elena. More of a Femme Fatale. Expect her to help or hinder Nathan as need be only to further her own goals. This would fit right in with the Indiana Jonesish Action Adventure writing. Think Dr. Elsa Schneider from the Last Crusade.

Thus we will have a triangle. Nathan is obviously attracted to the very trusworthy Elena. But then the very hot Chloe, who is much more of a kindred spirit to the likes of Drake and Sullivan, arrives on the scene. However, she cannot be trusted as far as she can be thrown. What kinda hero would Drake be without a Ally/Nemesis love interest?

And that's what I get from one piece of concept art. Mostly because of the color scheme chosen. Black hair to Elena's Blonde. Thick black eyeliner, Red babydoll tee, black undershirt.

Agree? Disagree?

Women are evil, that's what I think :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just played through Uncharted for the first time yesterday (while unemployed which seems to be a strange coincidence around here).

Absolutely loved the characters, story, environment. But I think I'm leaning towards the "too repetitive" camp. The first 2 hours of the game are absolute gold (working with Sully, interacting with the environment, variety, discovering things from the diary, etc.) Then all that gets thrown out the window for the next several hours as you just move from gauntlet to gauntlet. It's kind of interesting - I like that gunplay in GeoW but the difference is that there's nothing else in that game to look forward to. In Uncharted, the gunplay (where most encounters seem to be about as twice as long as necessary) is keeping me from the adventure so it becomes frustrating. Also, the combat in most areas doesn't even make sense : I'm this agile, smart adventure dude that unearths long-lost crypts and tombs - and there's already a bunch of dudes there to shoot at me? If Nate wanted to find the treasure a lot faster he could just disguise himself as a guard and walk right up to it instead of climbing on vines and scaling building and solving ancient puzzles.

In Unch2 I would love to see something similar to what they did in PoP3 : you can avoid the majority of the combat by killing a leader. I'm also hopeful about the comment in the interview that they will have the player interact better with the environment. The "use the 15 foot jump animation but have him float in midair because the jump is only 2 feet" moments happened a little too often.

I know it feels like I'm dissing the game too much - there was definitely a LOT to like. Naughty Dog has done the hard part : creating an IP with some solid mechanics, art, an intensely likable lead and great atmosphere. Looking forward to 2.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    OneWingedOtakuOneWingedOtaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    On Crushing Difficulty I found the "repetition" much less "repetitive", it was as if you wanted each fight but also dreaded it. Very tense and excellent stuff.

OneWingedOtaku on
    Gamertag:
    OneWingedOtaku.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Really...they are making a sequel to this game? God I hated the first one. The 'adventure' elements were virtually non existent. It was mostly just you killing about 500 people who were always there before you were. Who is the real villain? Hint....you. God, and killing those people wasn't even fun because the combat sucked so much.

I will say it was visually impressive though. And I do wonder how many people you will murder in cold blood this time around.

rts on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Uncharted is surprisingly hard to find where I live.

Those screens on the last page are amazing though.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Whether or not you like Uncharted comes down to if you like the combat or not. Most everyone likes the story (at least till the twist), characters, visuals and even the platforming and puzzles (first time around). But there are a lot of guys to shoot, so if that isn't fun for you, you will not like uncharted. (Its not like PoP, where its mostly platforming and you suffer through battles, but its ok because there isn't that many)

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Who is the real villain? Hint....you.

Uh...what?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Whether or not you like Uncharted comes down to if you like the combat or not. Most everyone likes the story (at least till the twist), characters, visuals and even the platforming and puzzles (first time around). But there are a lot of guys to shoot, so if that isn't fun for you, you will not like uncharted. (Its not like PoP, where its mostly platforming and you suffer through battles, but its ok because there isn't that many)

I actually loved the "twist", but I know a lot of people hated it. Though
    I always thought the idea of the deserted island and village etc was sort of creepy anyway, so to have the 'horror' twist at the end was almost expected really for me

OneWingedOtaku on
    Gamertag:
    OneWingedOtaku.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Uh...what?

He must be talking about a different game.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »

Uh...what?

No I am talking about how you murder 500 people. You're not even a soldier...just some guy...and you are raping an entire army.

rts on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Uh...what?

No I am talking about how you murder 500 people. You're not even a soldier...just some guy...and you are raping an entire army.

So I take it you're not big on India Jones either?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Uh...what?

I guess in theory though, Drake is being hunted by the enemy in the game, so it is natural for him to fight back. I do not think Drake wanted to get into the situations he was in, he was just unlucky and/or careless, and had to end up fighting for his life.

OneWingedOtaku on
    Gamertag:
    OneWingedOtaku.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Uh...what?

You're not killing indigenous people who were just hanging out and having a cocktail party. You do realize this, right?

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wow that is fucking hair i tell you what

sexy snow scenes as well

and a revolver

argh, god, fuck you ps3

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hah, I just noticed something. All the enemies shown in Uncharted 2 are white so far. I guess they didn't want to have to deal with accusations of racism this time around. (Although it always made perfect sense to me in Uncharted 1 since you are dealing with modern day pirates and mercenaries. Where do you think modern day piracy happens? South Asia and Africa.)

greeble on