As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lock this thread.

• Options
    OneWingedOtakuOneWingedOtaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Hah, I just noticed something. All the enemies shown in Uncharted 2 are white so far. I guess they didn't want to have to deal with accusations of racism this time around. (Although it always made perfect sense to me in Uncharted 1 since you are dealing with modern day pirates and mercenaries. Where do you think modern day piracy happens? South Asia and Africa.)

Wait, there were racism allegations for Uncharted? Wow.

OneWingedOtaku on
    Gamertag:
    OneWingedOtaku.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hah, I just noticed something. All the enemies shown in Uncharted 2 are white so far. I guess they didn't want to have to deal with accusations of racism this time around. (Although it always made perfect sense to me in Uncharted 1 since you are dealing with modern day pirates and mercenaries. Where do you think modern day piracy happens? South Asia and Africa.)

You never watched Yahtzee's review of Uncharted, did you?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/27-Uncharted-Drakes-Fortune

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Marikir wrote: »

You never watched Yahtzee's review of Uncharted, did you?

And that was pretty much the extent of any racism allegations.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also it should be noted that the Yahtzee video has a game spoiler in it.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cakemikz wrote: »
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    Who is the real villain? Hint....you.

Uh...what?

He must be talking about a different game.

No I am talking about how you murder 500 people. You're not even a soldier...just some guy...and you are raping an entire army.

Dude, it's a video game.

Do yourself a favor, never play No More Heroes.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    Who is the real villain? Hint....you.

Uh...what?

He must be talking about a different game.

No I am talking about how you murder 500 people. You're not even a soldier...just some guy...and you are raping an entire army.

Dude, it's a video game.

Do yourself a favor, never play No More Heroes.

I bet he can't even play Mario. He's just a regular plumber, massacre-ing hundreds of helpless little goombas just walking back and forth!

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Were you disturbed when Marcus Fenix called out his kills like he was downing shots? "That's five, motherfucker!"

Did you cry your eyes out after every victory in Shadow of the Colossus?

It's videogame violence. Come on.

Renzo on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    Were you disturbed when Marcus Fenix called out his kills like he was downing shots? "That's five, motherfucker!"

Did you cry your eyes out after every victory in Shadow of the Colossus?

It's videogame violence. Come on.

No who said I did,I'll fight you.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    if i can't murder generic pirates in a videogame without feeling guilty well i don't know if life's worth living

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well pretty much seems like Elenas out.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    MarioG wrote: »

not really. if this new character is a femme fatale - which seems very likely - elena's role will still be relevant, maybe even necessary. unless there's a 'one female character per videogame' limit i'm not aware of

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    MarioG wrote: »

not really. if this new character is a femme fatale - which seems very likely - elena's role will still be relevant, maybe even necessary. unless there's a 'one female character per videogame' limit i'm not aware of

Apparently somebody hasn't read the latest volume of Video Game Characters For Dummies.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Didn't she already get her story? :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    On Crushing Difficulty I found the "repetition" much less "repetitive", it was as if you wanted each fight but also dreaded it. Very tense and excellent stuff.

I have to agree with this whole-heartedly. (As I beat Crushing today. Platinum Trophy woo!) The only repetition I found in any of the fights was taking cover. Since I had to do that in every one of them. Every other fight was something that was not the last one. Heck, in one battle, I managed to mop up with grenades, the next I got a couple headshots and regular shoot-downs, and the next one was all about the Steel fist technique. And it wasn't even because I wanted to change it up; it's just that each one felt like it needed something different. It was hard walking into a room knowing the kind of fight you had ahead of you already, but man, did you feel awesome when you were done.

I sure did.

And I don't know. Hating this game for the violence? He had to be sarcastic or....well, he must not play many games.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Honestly I kind of see where the guy is coming from on the violence. Uncharted is actually a very violent game, with humans versus humans and very little "fantastic" elements to tone it down (think GeoW). It's a bit of a paradox - Nathan is this wisecracking nice guy, but inbetween cutscenes he is slaughtering hundreds of people. I mean, sure handfuls of henchmen usually go down in these types of games/movies. But the treasure is likely not worth the lives of 300+ people - you'd think eventually they would just hand it over!

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    EdS25 wrote: »
    Honestly I kind of see where the guy is coming from on the violence. Uncharted is actually a very violent game, with humans versus humans and very little "fantastic" elements to tone it down (think GeoW). It's a bit of a paradox - Nathan is this wisecracking nice guy, but inbetween cutscenes he is slaughtering hundreds of people. I mean, sure handfuls of henchmen usually go down in these types of games/movies. But the treasure is likely not worth the lives of 300+ people - you'd think eventually they would just hand it over!

No, no, you see, mercenaries are not people, their mercenaries. You shouldn't feel bad for killing them. Also, if it’s you or them, are you gonna bite the bullet, or let them have it. Survival of the fittest and Nathan is a beast :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    EdS25 wrote: »

No, no, you see, mercenaries are not people, their mercenaries. You shouldn't feel bad for killing them. Also, if it’s you or them, are you gonna bite the bullet, or let them have it. Survival of the fittest and Nathan is a beast :)

Not to mention, for a good part of the game he's,

Story Spoilers:
    Just trying to leave with Elena. And then trying to get El Dorado first to get it somewhere safe, since he knows of the terrible power it holds.

Really, they're just in his way of pretty decent goals, trying to kill him. I can't blame him.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All the bad guys are action movie goons. They actually JUMP if you shoot them when they're near a railing. It's meant to be like an Indiana Jones action/adventure. The bad guys are just that: bad guys.

Renzo on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy SHIT guys. I rented Uncharted (I couldn't wait for a PS3 game any longer) and I am 100% with everything about it so far. The music, the graphics (holy shit the graphics), the combat, voice acting... etc. You name it, this game has it.

I just got to chapter 6. I was really getting pissed at that final room in chapter 5 (bunch of columns in the room, guys pour out from all sides) but I felt like I accomplished something when I finished it.

I am not going to read anything in this thread as I'm sure everything is an unmarked spoiler, but holy mother of shit. I am already looking forward to finishing this game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Uncharted is simply one of the finest experiences gaming has to offer. I have high hopes for Uncharted 2.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Uncharted is simply one of the finest experiences gaming has to offer. I have high hopes for Uncharted 2.

It really is. I don't want to say that I didn't believe you guys... But I figured (like I have done with the Gamecube) most people were saying that this was a fine game because they had to justify their console purchase. Holy shit did I get a rude awakening. Really brought me down to reality.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

It really is. I don't want to say that I didn't believe you guys... But I figured (like I have done with the Gamecube) most people were saying that this was a fine game because they had to justify their console purchase. Holy shit did I get a rude awakening. Really brought me down to reality.

Now try Siren. And LBP, and MGS4 and Valkyria Chronicles. Also next year we got KZ2, God of War 2 and ooh-de-lally Heavy Rain.

Also, about Nate killing hundreds of people: once a mercenary pirate starts shooting at you, you're allowed to shoot back. I'd go so far as to say once anyone starts shooting at you, actually. These guys could have tried to talk it out, but no - always with the shooting.

Nate only did what I would have done in his position. Except he - y'know - lived.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh God... I forgot about Siren. I couldn't even beat the original one because it was too scary for me (and I love scary games) haha. I'll still give it a shot. :P

I'm really liking Nate as a character. I think one of the best subtle things they added to the game is when he says stuff under his breath. Stuff like "okay" and "oh boy" while bullets are flying at him make him seem... Human.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh God... I forgot about Siren. I couldn't even beat the original one because it was too scary for me (and I love scary games) haha. I'll still give it a shot. :P

I'm really liking Nate as a character. I think one of the best subtle things they added to the game is when he says stuff under his breath. Stuff like "okay" and "oh boy" while bullets are flying at him make him seem... Human.

Yeah the little touches like that really go a long long way. I like when he reloads and mutters "okay..." gearing himself up to engage in a firefight yet again.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited December 2008

All the subtle conversation in the game is really, really good and it enhances the game so much. You wouldn't think it would, but just the little things really do it. Like getting a headshot and hearing Nate go "Oooh, that's gonna hurt in the morning." Or him helping Elena off the waterski and they actually say things to one another. I don't know why, and it sounds not as good typed up, but it's just such a nice touch.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My two faves are the way Nate'll go 'oh nonono' when a grenade lands near him or the ledge he's shimmying across starts to crumble, and when he'll pick up a new gun and say 'that's what I'm talkin' about!'

Edit: yeah Siren is worth a purchase. I paid close to $70 for my import Blu-ray and couldn't be happier. It's not scary like... Fatal Frame scary. More of a... well, it's scarier than Dead Space. But you know how Dead Space keeps you in this constant state of on-edge-gotta'-be-fucking-aware-of-what's-going-on? That's Siren Scary. Also crazy atmosphere and story, and phenomenal audio work. It's in my top games of the year, along with MGS4 and Valkyria.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Maaan. I don't want to return this game tonight (the first one). I'm really liking the character development. It's a blast to actually play.

urahonky on
  • Options
    OneWingedOtakuOneWingedOtaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    1 year tommorow (Christmas) since I got Uncharted 1. Since then I've beaten it 4 times on every difficulty and loved every second of it. Damn fine game.

OneWingedOtaku on
    Gamertag:
    OneWingedOtaku.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    iirc Uncharted was the name of Elenas station/journal thing. So we can easily presume she is in Uncharted 2.

Like we said, she always gets her story.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Finally got around to playing this. Around Chapter 18 right now, and I have to say that it's probably one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I ever had.

The game is just plain FUN. The combat feels just right, with a good dose of strategy and challenge, and I love that the platforming and puzzles are easy. Nothing is worse for me than getting stuck, which never happens here. Game just keeps on flowing.

And of course the characters! Elena is such a nice change of pace, as I expected her to be a damsel in distrests, but surprised to see that she handles herself pretty well through out the game.

Even the twist works for me. I'm so looking forward to the sequel now.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    While I would say everyone should buy it, I wouldn't say it's worth a PS3 on its own, though it does come close.
    Im sure you can find a let's play on youtube somewhere if you just want a catchup on things to get hyped for uncharted 2. It has some of the best dialogue in any game, period. It is genuinely funny for one.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r9opp1MsNQ&feature=channel_page

I'm sure you can find the rest of the thing by following this guys channel.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So I'm doing my Crushing run through... Man the thing that really pisses me off about this game is the shitty hit boxes. From bots hiding behind rocks, and their head poking out.. me shooting at it and it do nothing, from me shooting guys in the head, and it not registering as head shots... ERRRRR Poor hit boxes really piss me off, other than that, I love this game :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So I'm doing my Crushing run through... Man the thing that really pisses me off about this game is the shitty hit boxes. From bots hiding behind rocks, and their head poking out.. me shooting at it and it do nothing, from me shooting guys in the head, and it not registering as head shots... ERRRRR Poor hit boxes really piss me off, other than that, I love this game :)

Enemies in this game are really erratic with their movements. It's possible you're not actually making headshots.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Uncharted was great, felt like you were in an action movie.
    And I too loved how real Drake seems with the mutterings and the wincing and stuff.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I know it's been said a bunch in this thread, but this is one damn fine game.

I can not wait for the second.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Enemies in this game are really erratic with their movements. It's possible you're not actually making headshots.

Yeah. I never had any problems when I actually hit them properly.

Anyway, best part about Drake and the games animations is when a bullet would fly past his head and he'd move his head away to dodge it. I'm really looking forward to what they do in Uncharted 2, as they'll undoubtably improve upon it.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Still one trophy left, Crushing difficulty.

The water room in Chapter 5 is killing me.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Still one trophy left, Crushing difficulty.

The water room in Chapter 5 is killing me.

let me remember

make sure you're going into the fray with the m79 and a decent handful of grenades. jump down, take cover, hit the two guys on the columns each with m79 grenades and the guy down below with pistol shots. the next guys will come from your left, so get behind one of those columns, probably around the spot you just shot dead the guy down below. when the next wave comes use a grenade or two, and a spare m79 shot, if you have one.

now as soon as those dudes (four of them i think it is) are down, you're going to have to bolt for the other side of the room - where they came from. even more importantly, there's a moss shotgun leaning against a low slab, so grab that on your way. the next part will be easier if you have hand grenades left, but you're basically going to have to carefully pick them off with the pistol before they get to you; they'll flank. the shotgun guys in the last wave will get right up close, and that's what your moss (plus a bit of clever blindfire) is for. if you're feeling eager, leave a shotgun dude for last and brutal combo him after he's taken a shot; the extra ammo never goes astray in crushing

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh man, I'm gonna try this shit right now.

I've been attempting it with the handgun and AK47.

EDIT: I've got 40 pistols shots, 3 shots in the M79 and 2 grenades. Here goes nothin'...

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OH MY FUCKING GOD IT WORKED HOLY SHIT THANK YOU BSJEZZ

You're my new favorite person!

From what I hear, that's the greatest brickwall in the game (besides the obscene Chapter 4 that I already passed).

UnbreakableVow on