As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dailyshow/Colbert Report: "Where Roe V Wade is two ways to get across a river."

Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
In this thread we will participate in the discussion of the two "Soft News" Comedy programs:

The Dailyshow.
dailyshow500.jpg

and

The Colbert Report.
colbert_report.jpg

What are these programs?

Wikipedia tells us...
The Daily Show (known in its current incarnation as The Daily Show with Jon Stewart) is an American satirical television program airing each Monday through Thursday on Comedy Central in the United States. The half-hour long show premiered on Monday, July 22, 1996, and was hosted by Craig Kilborn, who acted as its anchorman until his departure in December 1998. Jon Stewart took over as host in January 1999, bringing a number of changes to the show's content. Under Stewart The Daily Show has become more strongly focused around politics and the national media, in contrast with the more character-driven focus during Kilborn's tenure.

Describing itself as a fake news program, The Daily Show draws its comedy from recent news stories, satirizing political figures, media organizations, and often, aspects of the show itself. The show typically opens with a monologue from the host relating to recent headlines and frequently features exchanges with one or more of several correspondents, who adopt absurd or humorously exaggerated takes on current events against Stewart's straight man persona. The final act is reserved for a celebrity interview, with guests ranging from actors and musicians to nonfiction authors and political figures.

So let us talk about our two favorouite comedy tv news presenters, and post clips like

Guitmo
Stewart on Crossfire.
Is this enough content for you all?

Lord Of The Pants on
«13456763

Posts

  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    dailyshow500.jpg

    Hmm.

    muldermountlarge.jpg

    !!!

    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

    gilrain on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What, no more Conan?

    TehSpectre on
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Conan thing was ages ago, right?

    Lord Of The Pants on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yes, during the Writer's Strike, so late 2007/early 2008, if I'm not mistaken.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    While "Jon Stewart Touches Children" had me on the floor, the "Our Little Secret" coda damn near killed me. :D

    Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    (Former) Gaming Unplugged columnist and video game reviewer at Snackbar Games
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    While "Jon Stewart Touches Children" had me on the floor, the "Our Little Secret" coda damn near killed me. :D

    I really enjoyed the Plaxico song.

    Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

    Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    "Those of you who watched the Colbert Christmas Special know I can't sing, now you also know I can't dance."

    The song was okay, but the look on Stewart's face for the Children's segment was priceless.

    "It's.... we're still working on it."

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hathaway was right about the crush thing, though; I know a lot of women who harbor a not-so-secret desire for Jon Stewart.

    Quentin on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Colbert reminds me so much of my brother-in-law it's ridiculous. They look somewhat similar, but the way they talk, and their sense of humor is scary-alike.

    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Colbert reminds me so much of my brother-in-law it's ridiculous. They look somewhat similar, but the way they talk, and their sense of humor is scary-alike.
    ITT, Shadowfire reveals that his brother-in-law is Stephen Colbert

    Rent on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That crossfire clip will never get old.

    moniker on
  • GorakGorak Registered User
    edited December 2008
    I take it that by "soft news" you're referring to news that doesn't get a raging hard-on for every government policy and instead has gone down the unconventional route of offering critical analysis of stories.

    I trust the Daily Show more than I trust the BBC.

    Gorak on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I loved Colbert: "I'd like to thank everyone who made the album from my Christmas special #1 on iTunes...
    but I can't, because it is currently #16."

    Tomanta on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gorak wrote: »
    I take it that by "soft news" you're referring to news that doesn't get a raging hard-on for every government policy and instead has gone down the unconventional route of offering critical analysis of stories.

    I trust the Daily Show more than I trust the BBC.

    He means soft news in that it doesn't perform any journalism.

    moniker on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quentin wrote: »
    Hathaway was right about the crush thing, though; I know a lot of women who harbor a not-so-secret desire for Jon Stewart.

    I think a good amount of men as well <3

    TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quentin wrote: »
    Hathaway was right about the crush thing, though; I know a lot of women who harbor a not-so-secret desire for Jon Stewart.

    I think a good amount of men as well <3

    Well, in the general viewership, sure.

    I suspect the man-crushes are pretty open 'round these parts.

    *swoon*

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Gorak wrote: »
    I take it that by "soft news" you're referring to news that doesn't get a raging hard-on for every government policy and instead has gone down the unconventional route of offering critical analysis of stories.

    I trust the Daily Show more than I trust the BBC.

    I don't know, you know, I've read interviews with him and such, and he pretty much flat out says: "My goal is not to get people informed about the news. It's to get laughs." I think for him the extent to which he reveals the "real story" by being funny is in some ways just a nice side effect.

    That is, once he starts to become people's main source for news, then the show is being used in a way that wasn't intended.

    real_pochacco on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS
    edited December 2008
    Gorak wrote: »
    I take it that by "soft news" you're referring to news that doesn't get a raging hard-on for every government policy and instead has gone down the unconventional route of offering critical analysis of stories.

    I trust the Daily Show more than I trust the BBC.

    I don't know, you know, I've read interviews with him and such, and he pretty much flat out says: "My goal is not to get people informed about the news. It's to get laughs." I think for him the extent to which he reveals the "real story" by being funny is in some ways just a nice side effect.

    That is, once he starts to become people's main source for news, then the show is being used in a way that wasn't intended.

    I always feel like Stewart's being a bit dishonest when he cops out and says it's just a comedy show. He gets political with fair frequency, especially when he has people like Doughy Pantload (Jonah Goldberg) on, but when somebody acosts the issue, he just throws his hands up.

    Regardless, I agree, it is a comedy show, but it's not just a comedy show.

    Wonder_Hippie on
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gorak wrote: »
    I take it that by "soft news" you're referring to news that doesn't get a raging hard-on for every government policy and instead has gone down the unconventional route of offering critical analysis of stories.

    I trust the Daily Show more than I trust the BBC.

    It can get a bit false equivalence-y at times though. They don't want to be too obviously anti-GOP so they through something out there like when they were painting MSNBC as the new FoxNews (but couldn't quite convince themselves). "Bush sucks" isn't that funny anymore but the other way is less truthy.

    They shouldn't be used as a primary source of news, but more of a MST3k-esque voice from the peanut gallery pointing out things from a non-traditional angle.

    PantsB on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The best source for straight up news with no analysis or bias is Jim Lehrer's show

    But they're not as entertaining

    Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Yes, during the Writer's Strike, so late 2007/early 2008, if I'm not mistaken.

    So he'll be back in a couple months, then. Not like Conan will have anything to do once the actors strike.

    BubbaT on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Yes, during the Writer's Strike, so late 2007/early 2008, if I'm not mistaken.

    So he'll be back in a couple months, then. Not like Conan will have anything to do once the actors strike.

    Look for lots of musicians and people with animals.

    Bolthorn on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The best source for straight up news with no analysis or bias is Jim Lehrer's show

    But they're not as entertaining

    That's not true, I'm almost certain I saw some food stuck in Ray Suarez's beard one time and now I always check.

    moniker on
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Quentin wrote: »
    Hathaway was right about the crush thing, though; I know a lot of women who harbor a not-so-secret desire for Jon Stewart.

    I think a good amount of men as well <3

    Well, in the general viewership, sure.

    I suspect the man-crushes are pretty open 'round these parts.

    *swoon*

    Anne Hathaway would totally let him stick it in her pooper.

    Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Yes, during the Writer's Strike, so late 2007/early 2008, if I'm not mistaken.

    So he'll be back in a couple months, then. Not like Conan will have anything to do once the actors strike.

    Look for lots of musicians and people with animals.

    You need 3 guests a show, and they already have musicians.

    Stewart/Colbert can get away with having politicians and authors and professors on all the time. Conan can't. Plus his skits use a lot more actors than the other 2.

    Actually, I'm pretty sure Stewart and Colbert are SAG too. I know they've been in movies, and Colbert probably qualifies as "acting" on his normal show. So they'd have to cross the line just to do their shows.

    BubbaT on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My understanding is that they are part of both the Writers and Screen Actor guilds.

    Raynaga on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I didn't really like the Chris Matthews clip they used to demonstrate he was "quick to anger", since the full clip is actually a pretty good piece.

    Otherwise, the bit was pretty good. I loved the Colmes line.

    TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Raynaga wrote: »
    My understanding is that they are part of both the Writers and Screen Actor guilds.

    FAG's.

    Johannen on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The MST3K analogy is a pretty good one I think. These guys aren't the news, just like Crow and Tom Servo weren't really the subject of MST3K. But you have to be well informed about the news to be able to understand the jokes, just like you actually have to watch the awful movies in MST3K to get their jokes. People learning about current events is a necessary by-product of the setup of Stewart/Colbert's jokes, just like people watching crappy movies is a necessary by-product of the setup of all the MST3K comments.

    KalTorak on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, those bastards! All their writing. And acting.

    Raynaga on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh, the other awesome part last night; the opening rant about the economy.

    "I wish I'd known about this recession earlier, before I bought a scale model replica of the Millenium Falcon".

    That was good.

    "It can do the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs."

    I nearly fell off the couch.

    I don't know why little references (like identifying the species that Solo blew away in the Cantina during one of their shows two weeks ago) still surprise me; clearly Stewart, Colbert and their writing staff obviously include some geeky tendancies amongst them, but it's still unexpected and awesome.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Yes, during the Writer's Strike, so late 2007/early 2008, if I'm not mistaken.

    So he'll be back in a couple months, then. Not like Conan will have anything to do once the actors strike.

    Look for lots of musicians and people with animals.

    You need 3 guests a show, and they already have musicians.

    Stewart/Colbert can get away with having politicians and authors and professors on all the time. Conan can't. Plus his skits use a lot more actors than the other 2.

    Actually, I'm pretty sure Stewart and Colbert are SAG too. I know they've been in movies, and Colbert probably qualifies as "acting" on his normal show. So they'd have to cross the line just to do their shows.


    You get your musician to set on the couch and talk about their new album, or tour, or whatever. Then, like I said, you get someone to come talk about animals and bring them on the show, or that wolf couple that was on awhile back, or the pumpkin carving guy, or the turkey lady. Or comedians that aren't members of SAG, people that just do stand up. Heck, have a stand up performance and a musical performance. They'll figure something out.

    Conan would be hosed on skits though. Although weren't most of the skits done during the writer strike just him doing goofy stuff? They could go back to that. You don't need actors to walk around and annoy the other workers at the show. Tour Pierre's apartment just so we can see how geeky the dude really is. That right there might be enough for a week's worth of material before guests.

    Bolthorn on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Oh, the other awesome part last night; the opening rant about the economy.

    "I wish I'd known about this recession earlier, before I bought a scale model replica of the Millenium Falcon".

    That was good.

    "It can do the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs."

    I nearly fell off the couch.

    I don't know why little references (like identifying the species that Solo blew away in the Cantina during one of their shows two weeks ago) still surprise me; clearly Stewart, Colbert and their writing staff obviously include some geeky tendancies amongst them, but it's still unexpected and awesome.

    Solo shot a Greedo, a Rodian (first!), in the cantina. Colbert referenced the aqualish, which is who Ben Kenobi cut the arm off of with his lightsaber, not Han, in his Christmas special.


    :P

    moniker on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Solo shot a Greedo, a Rodian (first!), in the cantina. Colbert referenced the aqualish, which is who Ben Kenobi cut the arm off of with his lightsaber, not Han, in his Christmas special.


    :P

    <--- stands corrected. Point being, the two men and/or their staff wield great power, responsibility and geekery.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Oh, the other awesome part last night; the opening rant about the economy.

    "I wish I'd known about this recession earlier, before I bought a scale model replica of the Millenium Falcon".

    That was good.

    "It can do the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs."

    I nearly fell off the couch.

    I don't know why little references (like identifying the species that Solo blew away in the Cantina during one of their shows two weeks ago) still surprise me; clearly Stewart, Colbert and their writing staff obviously include some geeky tendancies amongst them, but it's still unexpected and awesome.

    Solo shot a Greedo, a Rodian (first!), in the cantina. Colbert referenced the aqualish, which is who Ben Kenobi cut the arm off of with his lightsaber, not Han, in his Christmas special.


    :P

    Star Wars reference in general are not that geeky.

    Facts like knowing who Borsk Fey'lya is or how they explained the "Kessel run in under 12 parsecs." given parsecs are a measure of distance are.

    PantsB on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Oh, the other awesome part last night; the opening rant about the economy.

    "I wish I'd known about this recession earlier, before I bought a scale model replica of the Millenium Falcon".

    That was good.

    "It can do the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs."

    I nearly fell off the couch.

    I don't know why little references (like identifying the species that Solo blew away in the Cantina during one of their shows two weeks ago) still surprise me; clearly Stewart, Colbert and their writing staff obviously include some geeky tendancies amongst them, but it's still unexpected and awesome.

    Solo shot a Greedo, a Rodian (first!), in the cantina. Colbert referenced the aqualish, which is who Ben Kenobi cut the arm off of with his lightsaber, not Han, in his Christmas special.


    :P

    Star Wars reference in general are not that geeky.

    Facts like knowing who Borsk Fey'lya is or how they explained the "Kessel run in under 12 parsecs." given parsecs are a measure of distance are.

    My mom can identify episodes of ST:TOG just by hearing the stardate/location intro sequence.

    Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Oh, the other awesome part last night; the opening rant about the economy.

    "I wish I'd known about this recession earlier, before I bought a scale model replica of the Millenium Falcon".

    That was good.

    "It can do the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs."

    I nearly fell off the couch.

    I don't know why little references (like identifying the species that Solo blew away in the Cantina during one of their shows two weeks ago) still surprise me; clearly Stewart, Colbert and their writing staff obviously include some geeky tendancies amongst them, but it's still unexpected and awesome.

    Solo shot a Greedo, a Rodian (first!), in the cantina. Colbert referenced the aqualish, which is who Ben Kenobi cut the arm off of with his lightsaber, not Han, in his Christmas special.


    :P

    Star Wars reference in general are not that geeky.

    Facts like knowing who Borsk Fey'lya is or how they explained the "Kessel run in under 12 parsecs." given parsecs are a measure of distance are.

    Bothan leader in the Rebel Alliance who was, sadly, not killed getting any information as a spy; and the gravitational pull of blackholes distort time and space thus allowing a ship traveling nearer to them than is safe to cut the distance down.

    ...er, um, *cough* yeah Daily Show. Whooo!

    moniker on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You're mom is a geek, then.

    That's actually pretty awesome.

    Raynaga on
  • AegisAegis Not Quite TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I found it amusing that when Colbert was asked when the last time someone conquered Afghanistan and who that was he answered right away and was right.

    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    I found it amusing that when Colbert was asked when the last time someone conquered Afghanistan and who that was he answered right away and was right.

    Didn't he say that right before the guest came out though? Or was that Stewart? One of them mentioned it previously at any rate and I'm sure they at least do some working together so that they don't excessively overlap jokes. *shrug*

    Aroduc on
This discussion has been closed.