As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dailyshow/Colbert Report: "Where Roe V Wade is two ways to get across a river."

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    As much as I love Amazon, my empathy for him dwindled as he proved to be one of those "really loud obnoxious laugh" type guys... but instead of hidden in the audience, he was on stage.

But in regards to what was otherwise a fairly fluffy interview, while they didn't get along like old college drinking buddies, I'd say it went fairly well. Asking the advantages it has over books (compact, portability, apparently inspires more reading) versus the disadvantages (it's pretty fucking expensive, especially when you account for buying all those books, possibly a second time for favourites you already own) seemed like a reasonable thing to do.
    Kindle books are cheap compared to paper books.

If you buy a bunch to make up the difference in savings to account for the $300 or whatever it is for the kindle itself.

That sentence is a mess, but I think you get what I mean.
    I mean, that seems to be about 100 books, but still

Fencingsax on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    The worst I ever saw was him tearing into Chris Matthew's book a year or two ago; Matthews was clearly taken aback.

I think most people were kind of surprised at Stewart in that interview. His contempt for Matthews' book was almost unlike anything I've seen, even compared to wingnut right-wi...ngers that come on the show sometimes. He just basically goes.

Stewart: Here's Chris Matthews. So, tell us about your book.

Matthews: Well, I named it that because of this.

Stewart: That is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. This book is absolutely stupid. What's wrong with you?

I'm not saying Matthews' book couldn't have been dumb, but Stewart's behavior during that interview was bizarrely hostile. I get the sense he read at least some of Matthews' book and came out of it enraged. Or maybe he hates Matthews. Or potatoes.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Omeks wrote: »
    The worst I ever saw was him tearing into Chris Matthew's book a year or two ago; Matthews was clearly taken aback.

I think most people were kind of surprised at Stewart in that interview. His contempt for Matthews' book was almost unlike anything I've seen, even compared to wingnut right-wi...ngers that come on the show sometimes. He just basically goes.

Stewart: Here's Chris Matthews. So, tell us about your book.

Matthews: Well, I named it that because of this.

Stewart: That is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. This book is absolutely stupid. What's wrong with you?

I'm not saying Matthews' book couldn't have been dumb, but Stewart's behavior during that interview was bizarrely hostile. I get the sense he read at least some of Matthews' book and came out of it enraged. Or maybe he hates Matthews. Or potatoes.

Matthews book was basically how to apply politics and punditry to your life in order to get ahead. Which is a horrible, horrible thing to want to do. Plus he's pretty much the standard model for political pundit who is most likely to get Stewart's ire.

moniker on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=104548&title=chris-matthews

That's the interview, and after seeing it again (it had been awhile) I would agree that the reason Jon was so hostile is that he thought the idea behind the book was basically anathema. It would have not been like him at all to not treat it as such, if that's how he felt.

And for the record, running your life like a campaign does indeed sound horrible.

Raynaga on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm not sure if I'm super comfortable with Jon Stewart trying to take both sides of the tracks, so to speak. Whenever anyone comes after him for anything of consequence, Editing clips together weird, being bias, and so on, he comes right back with "We're the stupid cable news comedy show".

But then he comes back and tries to act like a serious journalist, or a bastion of common sense thinking, for example when he'll interview Bill O'Reilly and so on.

Even worse is when he was on cross fire.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, but i just got done talking to about 5 people who use just the daily show as their primary news source.

ANTVGM64 on
    edited February 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm super comfortable with Jon Stewart trying to take both sides of the tracks, so to speak. Whenever anyone comes after him for anything of consequence, Editing clips together weird, being bias, and so on, he comes right back with "We're the stupid cable news comedy show".

But then he comes back and tries to act like a serious journalist, or a bastion of common sense thinking, for example when he'll interview Bill O'Reilly and so on.

Except that he is a stupid cable news comedy show, and they're supposed to be serious newsmen. Hell, journalists in some respects. There are standards, and people on news shows should at least pretend to want to try living up to them.
    I'm not sure if that makes sense, but i just got done talking to about 5 people who use just the daily show as their primary news source.

That is stupid. It is also about the most searing indictment you can make about how epic journalism in this country has failed. See also: George Will and the 'multi-layer editing process of the WaPo editorial page.'

moniker on
    edited February 2009
    I've never gotten the primary news source bit. Unless you're fairly current with the news, you'd miss half the jokes to begin with.

And overall I think what it boils down to is that Stewart is at heart a comedian, who happens to have opinions about things. He uses and views TDS as a way to make people laugh and as a springboard for his views/opinions. That doesn't make it news. At most, it makes it commentary.

And the fact that he can have a serious conversation with an O'Reiley or go on Crossfire and destroy people is more of a credit to his intellect as a person than a testimony to some aspiration for journalistic relevance.

Two things I would say to support this, the first being a quote from Colbert referring to when Jon took over TDS (paraphrased): 'One of the first things he did was tell us that he expected us to have an opinion. He didn't care what it was, but that we had to have one."

The second being when Ariana Huffington was one TDS and asked him to blog so that he could share his view/opinion on things. His response was "Why, I have a show?"

Being able to hold an opinion and express it using humor, or confronting/debating people whose view differs from his, doesn't equal playing both sides of the track. Nor does it equal what journalism is supposed (and used) to be. The fact that what is called journalism on the cable networks can sometimes seem so similar to what he does is an indictment on them for not practicing journalism at all, not an indictment against him for being or acting like a journalist and then running for cover when he's criticized.

Raynaga on
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm sorry, I'm only getting through some of these videos now:

Canuck Obama?

Optimist Prime?

Felonious Monkeys?

Oh you guys.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My cycle for any given news story is usually:

Read about it here -> See it on TDS/CR the next day -> Read about it in the Economist the next week

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited March 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    My cycle for any given news story is usually:

Read about it here -> See it on TDS/CR the next day -> Read about it in the Economist the next week

Same, but you can throw in The Atlantic and Yglesias into the mix. Also, the Trib and a few arch blogs for local stuff.

moniker on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You people need to read more Atrios. Atrios is awesome.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Colbert has the power point love child of the OH SNAP! flowchart.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah but he's typically an asshole to Bill O'reilly or Republicans, the founder of Amazon seemed like a generally okay guy at the least, and just wanted to talk about his pet project.

It's nice to occasionally see something like that though, where he shares his honest opinion about a product that would on any other show have just been 10 minutes of "Oh my, this device is so amazing, I don't know how I ever lived without it!"

Vincent Grayson on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    yeah except he came across as having already made up his mind and not really giving it a chance.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Guys, guys, Sandra Day O'Fuckin'Connor is goiong to be in the hizouse.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Guys, guys, Sandra Day O'Fuckin'Connor is goiong to be in the hizouse.

I couldn't have a conversation with her. Up until 2000 I could debate her aversion for bright line legal standards (which is kinda the job of the Supreme Court IMO). After Bush v Gore I could only throw up my hands and go "What the fuck?"

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Son of a cock he's up against Twitter.

yalborap on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

Stewart can really tear through someone's faults when he wants to. My favorite example is still his interview on Crossfire that led to the show being canceled.

I, of course, saw the Crossfire bit, but how did it lead to it being canceled? is there an article on it?

EDIT: n/m. Wiki to the rescue

VoodooV on
    edited March 2009
    VoodooV wrote: »

Stewart can really tear through someone's faults when he wants to. My favorite example is still his interview on Crossfire that led to the show being canceled.

I, of course, saw the Crossfire bit, but how did it lead to it being canceled? is there an article on it?

I'm not seeing the connection on wiki

Variable on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    VoodooV wrote: »

I'm not seeing the connection on wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Stewart#Crossfire_appearance

VoodooV on
    edited March 2009
    oh I looked at the crossfire article. interesting... it leaves out that comment. thanks.

Variable on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

They are making points about the reports on the show and those are comedy skits. They make fun of the news and that's it.

In the interviews Stewart is a smart guy and can debate political points with ease. The skits aren't news or politically pointed but an indictment of the news media. Using those clips to say that's how you guys report the news is dumb, because that's not what those clips do.

Magell on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Watching those clips from the Republican thinger really hurt me.

Henroid on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "From My Cold, Puckered Butt" should be the new title for this thread, because that was comedy genius.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That CPAC footage is, um, unpleasant.

Gim on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah, Daily Show, I was waiting for the Steele / Limbaugh conflict. Thanks, Jon!

Tomanta on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like how the chick on FOX & FRIENDS was jumping the gun on drinking that beer.

It's like before anyone can say anything, she swipes it up and is ready to down it.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
    edited March 2009
    "Its all fun and games, till someone has herpes."

I don't know how that local news anchor pulled off that take without laughing their ass off.

Raynaga on
    edited March 2009
    I must say, I'm tempted to go on the naming site and try to name the capsule Xenophilia, just so people can scratch their heads and wonder exactly what types of experiments are going on there.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited March 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »

I don't know how that local news anchor pulled off that take without laughing their ass off.

Professionalism.

moniker on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »

"There's bacteria on my ball"

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I must say, I'm tempted to go on the naming site and try to name the capsule Xenophilia, just so people can scratch their heads and wonder exactly what types of experiments are going on there.

Even ignoring the Xenu thing, I can imagine this capsule thing could be a bit of an internet fight. Last I heard, "Serenity" was in the lead. I don't want a Whedon/Colbert off. Unless it leads to an interview.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    edited March 2009

Even ignoring the Xenu thing, I can imagine this capsule thing could be a bit of an internet fight. Last I heard, "Serenity" was in the lead. I don't want a Whedon/Colbert off. Unless it leads to an interview.

Wait, "Serenity?" If we hear of any teenage girls being sent up, we'll know exactly what they're studying.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    It obviously should be Venture Industries

moniker on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I'm watching Sandra Day O'Conner on the Daily Show right now, and I believe what she said about Americans not knowing the three branches of government OR what they do. In fact I don't believe, I know, because nobody at my previous job was able to name more than two (most cases, just one - Executive) (haha, Texas).

Edit - What the FUCK, half the states don't require civics / government courses in highschool?

Henroid on
  • ShyftedShyfted Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm really enjoying the interview with O'Conner.

I can also say from personal experience (although I went to a catholic HS) that I never had a required class on civics. The majority of my knowledge of our government came from being on the policy debate team (which was fun as hell because you could link anything to extinction for almost any reason). Looking back on it now I actually can't believe how we don't even have a civics class anymore. You'd think that'd be a pretty important thing to teach.

Shyfted on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    We learned about the 3 branches in social studies. Never heard it called civics or anything.

FyreWulff on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Watching those clips from the Republican thinger really hurt me.

" D: " pretty much summed up my thoughts and feelings on the clips shown.

Edit; I'm Canadian and I named 2 of 'em! I admit that I forgot Judicial.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm embarrassed that it took me a second to recall the three branches. Executive, judicial, and legislative. I kept on wanting to say congressional instead of legislative.

Couscous on
    edited March 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed that it took me a second to recall the three branches. Executive, judicial, and legislative. I kept on wanting to say congressional instead of legislative.

Taking a second is better than simply not knowing, don't sweat it dude.

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.