As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Awful and Awesome names, the third

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We have a tank that has that spiked back hairdo and gold hair. I cannot stand that hairdo. Ever. My goal will be to kill people with that hairdo exclusively.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • AlgorefiendAlgorefiend Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you strike them down now they shall come back more powerful than you could possibly imagine... after spending 3 years in the hyperbolic time chamber during thier res wave. *chuckles*

Algorefiend on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you strike them down now they shall come back more powerful than you could possibly imagine... after spending 3 years in the hyperbolic time chamber during thier res wave. *chuckles*

I have no idea what you are attempting to say there at the end of your statement.

Wavechaser on
    edited December 2008
    rez? res? that period of time while you're standing in the graveyard waiting for the spirit healer. That wave.

Algorefiend on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Deathncarnet

:?

Henroid on
    edited December 2008
    I think the whole thing just went over my head or something.

Wavechaser on
    edited December 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »

Mine too.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited December 2008

Most likely. It was a bad dragon ball Z joke, don't worry about it.

Algorefiend on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    What's the limit on guild names? We're thinking of renaming to <Teenage Mutant Lootin' Purples> but I'm pretty sure that's too long.
    Eh, saved you some trouble anyhow, because if it did fit, Teenage Lootin' Ninja Purples would sound a lot better.

SithDrummer on
    edited December 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    What's the limit on guild names? We're thinking of renaming to <Teenage Mutant Lootin' Purples> but I'm pretty sure that's too long.
    Eh, saved you some trouble anyhow, because if it did fit, Teenage Lootin' Ninja Purples would sound a lot better.

Ahahah. Nice.

bowen on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

In Dragonball Z, there is a "hyperbolic time chamber" where time goes as normal inside, but outside time stops. So the characters would go in there for years at a time and train to become more powerful while the outside world didn't change at all. Then they could come back out at the same moment and be as powerful or more powerful than their enemies.

It was gay.

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That was the worst twist ever... a horrible excuse to move a series along. There's ALWAYS someone stronger... and somehow the heroes become the most powerful beings in the world instantly using that chamber method. So cheap.

Edit: I'm a horrible person for trying to counter-justify a freaking cartoon

GPIA7R on
    edited December 2008
    I'm glad to say that I never got on the Anime bandwagon and was likely spared from horrible cartoons. Thank god.

bowen on
    edited December 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm glad to say that I never got on the Anime bandwagon and was likely spared from horrible cartoons. Thank god.

Goku: GRAAAAHHHHHHH!!
    Random Enemy: BARGHAGHAGKAGHAGH!
    Vegeta: Hahahahahaha!

... twenty minutes go by ...

Goku: *pant pant pant* GRAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Tune in next week!

rehtonAesoohC on
    edited December 2008

Goku: GRAAAAHHHHHHH!!
    Random Enemy: BARGHAGHAGKAGHAGH!
    Vegeta: Hahahahahaha!

... twenty minutes go by ...

Goku: *pant pant pant* GRAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Tune in next week!

... wow thats not far off.... Why did i like that in jr. high school

Algorefiend on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I bought the original Dragonball series on DVD for $5 at Wal-mart like...5 or 6 years ago. I had never been an anime fan, couldn't really follow what was going on in DBZ, but Dragonball was pretty entertaining.

Course, I like lots of stupid cartoons. I got really into Xiaolin Showdown for a while too D:

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited December 2008
    I think the only one I could watch was Full Metal Alchemist. Kind of reminded me of the anime from yesteryears for things like The Mysterious Cities of Gold, Belle and Sebastian, David the Gnome, etc.

bowen on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    omega71 wrote: »
    I saw a guild running around earlier today named

<Raid Smart Raid S Mart>

I died a little inside

why, that guild name is rad

Also to get back at me for something, my rogue friend intentionally invited a DK PUG named Bearzwolfz into our Utguarde Pinnacle group over the weekend.

He ended up being not terrible much to everyone's surprise.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We have a tank that has that spiked back hairdo and gold hair. I cannot stand that hairdo. Ever. My goal will be to kill people with that hairdo exclusively.

I have to completely agree with you there. I just want to slap anyone with the spike hair do. There is just somethings that should of -never- been shared between races.

But on a lighter note, I do love the mohawk look on gnomes!

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    I remember seeing a priest on my server named Goodhealz

A quick armory search reveals that he doesn't exist anymore, but there are plenty of other people with that name. Thankfully, the highest level is 47.

I wonder if you could influence peoples' choice to take you along.

I should make an Awfultank.

Given the choice between grouping with Awfultank and XXSSJGOKUXX, Awfultank wins every time.

I think you may be on to something regarding your name influencing whether people group with you, but WoW players have collectively set the bar so damned low, that it would have to be a truly wretched name to drive most people away.

s3rial one on
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Saw the weirdest thing today. Druid ran by me named Blumpkin ( nice ) and was followed by a hunter named Pumpkin.

Talkc on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like to pick Japanese names. Primarily because they are so rarely taken and sound mystical and shit.
    They're what?
    Buuuut, considering most japanese names out there in WoW are modeled after Anime characters, I can't say I entirely blame you.

I do go out of my way to kill the goku's/sephiroths/clouds I see, but not anyone with a japanese name.
    I had a Cloud in my group last week, except it was spelled out in romaji: Kuraudo. 40 of them on Armory with that spelling.

At least I count myself among the relatively rarer subset of people who decided to study Japanese on the grounds that it was a challenge, and never even noticed the anime/gaming connection until years later.

SabreMau on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I like to pick Japanese names. Primarily because they are so rarely taken and sound mystical and shit.
    They're what?
    Buuuut, considering most japanese names out there in WoW are modeled after Anime characters, I can't say I entirely blame you.

I do go out of my way to kill the goku's/sephiroths/clouds I see, but not anyone with a japanese name.
    I had a Cloud in my group last week, except it was spelled out in romaji: Kuraudo. 40 of them on Armory with that spelling.

At least I count myself among the relatively rarer subset of people who decided to study Japanese on the grounds that it was a challenge, and never even noticed the anime/gaming connection until years later.

Unless you are in a job with significant contractual entanglement overseas, learning a second language so you can understand cartoons is a good a reason as any.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All my WoW guys are named after characters from Lord of Light. I don't know why, but I like it, especially when the names match the classes.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Got a double whammy here.
    wowscrnshot120408142615fj3.jpg

W2 on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ...is the one on the right calling me a beer noob?

BlueDestiny on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Japanese name thing I avoid. Which is funny since I do speak and read Japanese pretty well. (Not from anime but from 2.5 years in college and well living here) But for my dk I went with one.

Chikan, look it up. The name amuses me. My friend named his Himawari(sunflower) just because he thought it was funny to name a horrible killing machine after a flower. Think he posted that here before.

Still like my original warlocks name, Grana which when you look it up on google it is grain in Italian and brings up articles on grain production. I found it funny.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited December 2008
    A friend of mine always names his character Hakujin (white man, essentially).

rehtonAesoohC on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SabreMau wrote: »
    They're what?

Well chalk that up to personal experience then.

I've never, ever, ever had a name I picked taken. Ever ever ever ever ever. I guess you need to be more original in your foreign word choices. :P

I never pick an anime name jesus christ. Don't even go there, you are retarding yourself just by thinking it of me. Like Im a mirror and you are reflecting your own assumptions of fucking stupid, that's what I think of half of these responses to what I said. :|

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    managed to snag the name playahater for my blackguard.

i'm so street...

manji on
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All my guild wars names are XXX Betty

Smashing Betty (Axe warrior oddly enough)
    Death Betty
    Sneaky Betty
    Caster Betty

Not sure where it came about, but Smashing Betty is my favorite GW toon. Many hours of fun.

rfalias on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    rfalias wrote: »
    All my guild wars names are XXX Betty

Smashing Betty (Axe warrior oddly enough)
    Death Betty
    Sneaky Betty
    Caster Betty

Not sure where it came about, but Smashing Betty is my favorite GW toon. Many hours of fun.

No Bouncing Betty?

GPIA7R on
  • MEGAMERICANMEGAMERICAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Niggdairy, the black tauren female. :lol:

MEGAMERICAN on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Anime is like any other medium, there is good stuff and bad stuff, and more of it is bad than good.

It's the fanboys that refuse to admit that anything some Japanese guy drew/wrote might be as awful as stuff from Hollywood.

I haven't seen any anime that's recent that I thought was any good. Give me PatLabor moves, Macross, or Record of Lodoss War anyday. Cowboy Bebop was ok, but highly overrated, except for the music.

And then the old classics like Akira (which is cool, but some people worship it like a tiny god) Bubble Gum Crisis or even the original Ghost in the Shell stuff.

Bigity on
    edited December 2008
    I liked Kanon and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Beyond that, haven't watched all that much new stuff in the past few years.

SabreMau on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Record of Lodoss War is one of the worst storiesin the history of storytelling my god man.

This isn't really the thread for this man.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Record of Lodoss War is one of the worst storiesin the history of storytelling my god man.

This isn't really the thread for this man.

It was decent, especially compared to alot of the other stuff. Except the main dude was a whiny bitch all the time.

Too bad there are 76 characters on the armory named after em.

Bigity on
    edited December 2008
    'Kay. 96 Slayns in Armory.

And I remember back when there was only one Kyonko.

SabreMau on
    edited December 2008
    I never pick an anime name jesus christ. Don't even go there, you are retarding yourself just by thinking it of me. Like Im a mirror and you are reflecting your own assumptions of fucking stupid, that's what I think of half of these responses to what I said. :|

Haha, are you for real?

o_O

Wavechaser on
    edited December 2008

Haha, are you for real?

o_O

Yes.

Both names I gave examples of were honest to god dictionary taken names referencing a character concept. Not an anime name at all.

A bunch of posts started off about using anime names and one guy was like "I camp everyone using a japanese name"

Damn right I'm going to condemn that kind of prejudice and dickery. You don't get a free ride because it's socially "acceptable" to be a dick to anyone referencing a language.

Morninglord on
This discussion has been closed.