As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Game of Thrones (Interested?)

AsherAsher Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Critical Failures
AGOT.jpg

What the hell is this?

Put simply, a few years ago, the now defunct company Guardians of Order produced a d20 based RPG based on George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series of Fantasy Novels. To be honest, it was rather good. Unfortunately, it was not good enough to save GOO who promptly went out of business. However, AGOT was one hell of a Swan Song and contains nearly everything you could possibly want for Roleplaying in the Seven Kingdoms within its 500 pages.

I ran a campaign of this a couple of years back and it was some of the best fun I've ever had with intrigue betrayal and attempted murder left right and centre. Unfortunately it eventually petered due to various players having to do things in real life.

So here I am now. Would any one be interested in getting a game going? I will warn you that this will require a lot of organisation to both get going and actually run. Here are a few questions to get things going:

Does anyone actually want to play?

What period do people prefer? At the same time as the books or earlier? In the previous campaign I ran, it was set 90 years before the events of the books. Everything is essentially the same, but with none of the book characters.

What type of game? This is pretty important. There are essentially three types. The first is A Game of Thrones, where players control different houses and vie for supremacy. This is incredibly fun but incredibly complicated. The second is Noble House, where all the players are members of a noble house and the campaign is about the trials and tribulations of that house. The final one is vanilla D&D, but set in Westeros. My opinion is that it is the least interesting, but a campaign set in Nights Watch, around castle black could be interesting.

Vs or Co-Op? In the last game I ran I split the characters up into various houses and two alliances with a few undeclared houses. The constant vying for power made for a great, but complicated game. would people be interested in this or would everyone rather be on the same side.

I think that about covers the basics. Anyone interested?

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
Asher on

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh God, I've never really played D&D before but I want to play this.

Thetheroo on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This does sound interesting, actually.

Play by Post, or what? What sort of playercap?

LaOs on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm thinking Play by Post, mostly because I'm in a different timezone to everyone else. As for player cap, that really depends on the game type people want to go for. In a proper Game of Thrones, big groups isn't such a problem as everyone is divided up into groups. For a Noble house game or something, not more than about 8 players.

One thing you guys need to know is that I prefer being a "hands off" style DM. I try to let the players drive the story when at all possible. In the game of this that I have run, I pretty much just set the scene, introduced all the NPCs and then sat back and watched the fireworks, acting as an adjudicator and playing the NPCs, rather than being a storyteller.

Asher on
    edited December 2008
    I've always wanted to start playing D&D, and this setting looks fantastic. Played a little bit before, but nothing really serious. Would noobs still be welcome to play?

Thetheroo on
    edited December 2008
    Absolutely. If you are familiar with the world, then thats a bonus. I hope to get a game going that is more role playing and character interaction than dice rolling. What are your preferences, game-wise?

Asher on
    edited December 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    Absolutely. If you are familiar with the world, then thats a bonus. I hope to get a game going that is more role playing and character interaction than dice rolling. What are your preferences, game-wise?

Don't really have a preference, but Noble House sounds cool.

Thetheroo on
  • vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hmm I have read the books but I have never played this game yet....I saw the d10 version and wanted to play it but never could find people.

I would be willing to play if you want another.

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd ust like to say, I'm looking forward to watching this game. I never did pick up the RPG book, sadly, but... A Song of ICe And Fire is one of my favorite novel series', and I want to see where you go with it.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
    edited December 2008
    At the moment I want to see how many people would like to play and what kind of game they would like to play. So, at the moment, if you want to play, say so. There are no limits at the moment. It would be great if you said what kind of game you would prefer to play and in what era etc.

Asher on
    edited December 2008
    What would be interesting to set up a time frame would be to have it at the start of the first Winter. Before the Bran the Builder came in. I think that when it was. So I guess really in the past when magic, the dragons and the Wall has not been built.

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire
  • enarch3tenarch3t Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I loved this series, it is most excellent. I wish I had more dependent internet so I could play too, the world is fucking fantastic.

enarch3t on
    edited December 2008
    My only problem would be that I dont own the book so character creation would not be that great or accurate

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Don't own the book, but this does sound interesting. I think I'd favor Noble House, but Game of Thrones could also be fun if I can figure it out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2008
    I'll play, I think. I would prefer some time where the book characters (or most of them, anyway) won't be a factor... so sufficiently prior to the books or sufficiently after.

I'm up for either of the three types, really. My only gaming experience has been one campaign of D&D 3.5E and a couple sessions recently of 4E Shadowrun. I'm enjoying pnp gaming so far though.

[Edit]
    I'd definitely be down for the intrigue of the Game, for the record.

(And I definitely do not have any books for this game--only the novels.)

LaOs on
  • Jukebox HeroJukebox Hero Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Now I'm very familiar with D&D rules, although I've never read these books or seen this version. Would that be a major issue? I mean, I could pick up the books and such, if that were the case... but this definitely sounds interesting to me!

Jukebox Hero on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maybe during the time of the Targaryens? That could be interesting.

I've also read all the novels, but that's it.

Unfortunately, I don't know D&D, but I could learn.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2008
    For setting I would like to play maybe during Robert's Rebellion. That would be pretty cool, or perhaps the Dance of the Dragons?

Thetheroo on
  • MagicManMagicMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Maybe during the time of the Targaryens? That could be interesting.

I've also read all the novels, but that's it.

Unfortunately, I don't know D&D, but I could learn.

I am in the same boat...big fan on the books and this looks really really interesting. Would be willing to give it a spin if you were willing to put up with my noob ass.

Note: I have actually played two minor D&D games IRL but the GM was terrible and it was just a really shitty experience.

MagicMan on
  • MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh shits, I would like to play to, but I don't have the books. Guess I'll watch.

Maximus on
    edited December 2008
    Maximus wrote: »
    Oh shits, I would like to play to, but I don't have the books. Guess I'll watch.

Then pick them up! I want to stab you in the back!

Thetheroo on
    edited December 2008
    Max most of us so far do no own the role playing books I dont know if it will be bad or not.

I mean I have a character concept that is similar to Jaqen H'ghar the assassin in Storm of swords

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire
    edited December 2008
    vertroue wrote: »
    Max most of us so far do no own the role playing books I dont know if it will be bad or not.

I mean I have a character concept that is similar to Jaqen H'ghar the assassin in Storm of swords

I.... I can be a Faceless Man?

I am soooooo playing now.

Thetheroo on
    edited December 2008
    I don't expect anyone to actually have the RPG book. I've never seen it about, apart from the copy I own.

I don't mind having some noobs in the game. As I said, knowledge of D&D isn't an overwhelming requirement as I prefer character based games. The system itself is essentially a modified 3.5. The most important modifications come in terms of armour and fatigue. Combat is incredibly dangerous. Armour provides Damage reduction, rather than improving your armour class and if you take a lot of damage in one hit, then there's a good chance you'll go straight down. Also, you get fatigued by simply fighting, so combat is very different to vanilla 3.5. No magic or magic classes, but that's a given considering the world.

Having read the novels isn't necessary, but is preferred. It does make it a lot easier to relate to the world.

For setting, I can see that there are a bunch of ideas being thrown around, lets try to quantify these.

1: The ancient past, the time of first winter, Bran the Builder.
    Not a fan of this one. For me, the attraction of this game is the rich setting. Comparatively little is known about this era.

2: The time of the Targaryens.
    This is a good option. My favoured setting is roughly 100 years before the events of the novels. All the Houses we know and love are present, but the Targaryens rule under a stable and relatively well liked king. It would be possible to do something earlier such as the Dance of Dragons. This could be interesting, but we have less material to work with.

3: The war of the usurper/Robert's rebellion.
    Not so good for a Game of Thrones, but this setting would be rather good for a Noble House game. Plenty of information is available.

4: The events of the books.
    Not a fan of this either. I dislike trying to fit a game around "canon" events. Possibly something to do after the series is finished or Martin kicks the bucket.

What kinds of characters are people interested in playing? Not specifically, but archetypes in terms of Knight, lord, spy etc.
    Edit: Unfortunatly there aren't any rules or Faceless Men (that I can remember). Water Dancer's are imcluded as a prestige class though.

Asher on
    edited December 2008
    I don't expect anyone to actually have the RPG book. I've never seen it about, apart from the copy I own.

I'm going to try and track down a copy, this sounds like something I would like to play with my friends.
    4: The events of the books.
    Not a fan of this either. I dislike trying to fit a game around "canon" events. Possibly something to do after the series is finished or Martin kicks the bucket.

NOW YOU JINXED IT!

Thetheroo on
  • MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man I so want to play a Water Dancer like Syrio Forel...

Maximus on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Noble House does sound cool, if you have too many players already thats fine. But I'd be interested.

Egos on
    edited December 2008
    So we cant play a Faceless One?

Well if we can't then I would like to play a Greenseer if possible.

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire
    edited December 2008
    Probably a knight. Failing that, maybe a priest of some kind.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2008
    It would be pretty cool if we could play as the knights for The Seven...I think they were called the Sword and Stars or something to that degree. Then you could be a priest/knight haha.

MagicMan on
    edited December 2008
    Really, we need to decide the setting and game type. I'm going to work now, so why don't you guys (and anyone else who's interested in playing) vote for preferred setting and game type.

Asher on
    edited December 2008

2: The time of the Targaryens.
    This is a good option. My favoured setting is roughly 100 years before the events of the novels. All the Houses we know and love are present, but the Targaryens rule under a stable and relatively well liked king.

I thikn this one is the best because as I recall most of the houses were pretty well balanced at the time and each house has a decent amount of land. I guess this would mean that from the start everything would be pretty even.

MagicMan on
    edited December 2008
    !Noble house, Roberts Rebellion

Thetheroo on
    edited December 2008
    Noble house, Targaryen era.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've got a copy of the book, but no real time to play. Whee.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited December 2008
    I would be game for Noble House Targaryen era as well

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire
    edited December 2008
    Game of Thrones!!

Actually, Noble House would be just fine. Targaryen era, I think.

LaOs on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A. OMG Want. Game of Thrones is by far one of my favorite settings. Can we run a play by post card game alongside? ;P (Speaking of, did anyone see that it looks like they're reprinting the CCG as a non-CCG?)

B. When the crap does the next book come out? He's killing me.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited December 2008
    Supposedly in April so says his publisers as a "tentative" date

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd probably be down for this.

I'd prefer Game of Thrones, Targaryen era as a first choice. Second choice would probably be Noble House, Robert's Rebellion.

Depending on which kind of game we'd do, I'd probably go with some kind of high int/wis/cha character, like a priest or adviser or something.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There is not nearly enough Greyjoy involvement in this thread. I mean, I'm a Stark man myself, but who doesn't love House Greyjoy?

They do not sow.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.