As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Full time job for someone with no degree..

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have been a stock clerk for two years but it has not been cutting it lately. I am into about 1100 debt and need a full time 40 hours a week job that pays 9.00+ to get everything paid off. I have been checking craigs list for stuff but have found nothing. All the driving jobs I can't do because I got a ticket about 6 months back.

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you live near an airport they often need security guards. The job is slack ass, as mostly you sit around in a booth and your "power" consists of calling the real police if anything happens.

Otherwise, most kitchens are in need of line cooks. The job can suck at times, but if you need money you really can't bitch or be picky. Especially without a degree.

Comahawk on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you type pretty fast and don't have facial tattoos, then try a hospital. And then apply for everything you're even remotely qualified for in the local paper ads, monster.com, etc. Or go get your CDL.

And good luck. Took me 6 months to find a job without a degree, and that was four years ago. And it was part-time until I worked my way to full time.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Comahawk wrote: »
    If you live near an airport they often need security guards. The job is slack ass, as mostly you sit around in a booth and your "power" consists of calling the real police if anything happens.

Otherwise, most kitchens are in need of line cooks. The job can suck at times, but if you need money you really can't bitch or be picky. Especially without a degree.

And not being able to pee for 12 hours straight.

The TSA is also often hiring. Pays more, busier work, but at least they let you go to the bathroom. :P Also the benefits are nice. But you do have to be able to pass a decently extensive background check.

Phoenix-D on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Depending on your state chances are very, very, very good that no resturants will want your help. Besides the fact that resturants usually only hire persons with cooking expirence already on hand, this year, this economy, is ruining the resturant bussiness. Plus there is like 5% or less chance that you'd get 40 hours as a starting cook, and I'd say about a 25% chance to get 40 if you've been working there forever.

I've worked as a cook for about 5 years now, and while I loved the jobs (all four of them) this really isn't the time to get into cooking. But it is true that starting wages for cooks is generally around the ~$9 mark for starting if you have past expirence.

How about postal work? It never seemed tought to me, and I'm guessing that those people make livable wages, plus it is a government job so I'd guess you get some nice perks with them.

Burtletoy on
    edited December 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    How about postal work? It never seemed tought to me, and I'm guessing that those people make livable wages, plus it is a government job so I'd guess you get some nice perks with them.

The USPS is hemorrhaging money. Plus you have to take a test and then wait... and wait... and wait to even be granted the potential of employment.

Op... have you considered just taking a second part time job? It'd suck working extra hours, but I'm sure you can suck it up at least until you get out of debt and save a bit of money.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What about UPS or FedEx?

Any chance of gettimg ore $ from your current job?

MichaelLC on
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    No airport here..

Just checked monster for food jobs and nothing in this town.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited December 2008
    UPS usually only hires part time for package handlers, but if you have a CDL then you could potentially get a great job at UPS or FEDEX. It might be worth the money to take some CDL classes and get your license.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And this is why people go back to school during a recession. Have you considered pursuing a degree?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why aren't you able to move into a more full time and higher paying job at your current company?

I think this is a key question, they already know you, they already know your work ethic and experience and you're better qualified than someone off the street because you require less training.

Pretty much all the "reasons" that you can't get a better job at your current company are compounded when you apply them to a company you are not already known in.

That is - underqualification, poor work history, not getting on with people, not enough hours available because of the economy.... if these are the reasons you'd cite, you are better off investing your time in self-improvement at the current company than trying to prove yourself to a stranger. And nobody can help the current job situation.

onceling on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    No airport here..

Don't trust websites when it comes to resturant work. I've never found any, but was able to walk into a few interviews less than a week after checking.

I wasn't trying to dissuade you too much with my talk about how hurting the resturant bussiness is right now. I just quit my last cooking job I will ever have *crosses fingers* but our one resturant was the only one doing decent from what the managers were talking about. It is possible to get work in resturants, but make sure you ask if the kitchen maganer is available when you go to apply (you should apply around 2:30-4:30 as this is the resturants down time) and if you talk to the manager make sure to talk about all your expirence cleaning and stocking as these things are very important to managers at resturants.

Burtletoy on
    edited December 2008
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    What about UPS or FedEx?

I forgot to mention one of the big reasons I am looking for another job besides the money is that I slept with my boss.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    And this is why people go back to school during a recession. Have you considered pursuing a degree?

I have almost two years of school here and I am waiting for my lease to be up to so I can transfer out of state.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Why the fuck do I need a degree to sale cell phones???

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    well, for one thing, the correct question would be "why the fuck do I need a degree to sell cell phones?"

So, in a way, I think you just answered your own question.

The real answer, though, is that there are enough desperate people out there with college degrees that companies can afford to be picky.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ever work stage crew in high school? I supported myself as a stagehand for 2 years. Pay is 17/hr or was, but the hours are less dependable and you won't be able to get 40/week at first.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Echoing something that was said above, Hospitals are where it's at. I worked as a parking lot attendant (collecting peoples money for the paid parking areas) for a while and got $12/hour. It wasn't 40 a week but it wasn't bad. Hopefully the hospitals in your area are hiring. One of my old friends stuck around and got in to some training program to be an X-ray tech and is making a career out of it.

Smurph on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Don't just check Monster. Apply in person to places that seem interesting. The best jobs are often not advertised. Ask your family and friends if they know anything good going.

Howabout training in some sort of trade? To get good money you need to have some sort of scarcity value to your skills.

CelestialBadger on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    UPS has seasonal part time package handlers right now, all over the place. You can easily make about $160 extra a week, which Isn't much I know, but with good budgeting, can help you get out of debt alot faster.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What about UPS or FedEx?

I forgot to mention one of the big reasons I am looking for another job besides the money is that I slept with my boss.

I'm assuming things went sour? No chance of asking her for a recommendation?

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    UPS has seasonal part time package handlers right now, all over the place. You can easily make about $160 extra a week, which Isn't much I know, but with good budgeting, can help you get out of debt alot faster.

That's what I was thinking, but might be too late; probably did all hiring in Oct/Nov.

Any Targets, ShopKos, Wally Worlds around? They'll need people through January for all the returns, I'd guess.

MichaelLC on
  • CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I know its a couple of months away but the 2010 Census is going to be hiring in January. Takes a long time after taking the simple aptitude test until you'll get a call but its flexible hours and good money. I made 9.75/hr working in the payroll department. No driving around BS, just sit in the office and add up time sheets for 4 hours a day. Can be really good money to supplement you when it gets started.

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png
  • ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Don't just check Monster. Apply in person to places that seem interesting. The best jobs are often not advertised. Ask your family and friends if they know anything good going.

Word. Only chumps look for part-time jobs on the internet. You need to be scouring local newspapers/classifieds and, more importantly, walking into every single business in your city, wearing a tie, carrying a resume, and charming the pants off the manager.

Zsetrek on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

That's what I was thinking, but might be too late; probably did all hiring in Oct/Nov.

Any Targets, ShopKos, Wally Worlds around? They'll need people through January for all the returns, I'd guess.

While they need people around until January, they typically do all of their hiring in Oct/Nov so everyone is trained by black Friday and the holiday season.

VisionOfClarity on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zsetrek wrote: »

Word. Only chumps look for part-time jobs on the internet. You need to be scouring local newspapers/classifieds and, more importantly, walking into every single business in your city, wearing a tie, carrying a resume, and charming the pants off the manager.

Double ditto. You gotta walk up to the desk, put on your best smile, and say "You know, this place is fantastic/excellent/rad/bosshogg. I would love to work here. Is the manager in at all?" And then you sex up the manager with your words. Then you go to the store next door and do it again.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • CorakCorak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ruzkin wrote: »
    And then you sex up the manager with your words.

But you know... just with words. Actually doing it is what got you in trouble in the first place. :P

Corak on
    I live!
  • DanMachDanMach Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    IT! The glorious field of IT...

I work in IT, and make more then the rest of my peers by a decent %.

Yay!!!

No college degree.. just a decade+ of personal experience and an unbelievably amazing interview skill set..

:)

DanMach on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, you might want to check to see if there are any call centers near your area, as they usually need people.

noir_blood on