We're going to be adding some advertisements to the forums! If you notice any weirdness around this or spot bad/inappropriate ads, please make a thread in the bugs forum.

Matches v Lighters

2»

• Vindicta_Vindicta_ Registered User
    edited November 2006
    I'd say go with a lighter. Matches will get destroyed over time in your pockets if you don't get to use them. Also my cousin had an unfortunate accident involving sweatpants and strike anywhere matches in his pocket in grade school, lets just cut it short and say he went home without pants that day.

Vindicta_ on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Vindicta_ wrote:
    I'd say go with a lighter. Matches will get destroyed over time in your pockets if you don't get to use them. Also my cousin had an unfortunate accident involving sweatpants and strike anywhere matches in his pocket in grade school, lets just cut it short and say he went home without pants that day.
    I don't know about pants, but I've had a box of matches in my bag for two years and they work fine.

Faricazy on
  • Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Blaket wrote:
    Cold Koala wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    I say carry a Bic and a box of wooden matches. Because sometimes matches don't cut it, and there are some things you wouldn't want to light with a Zippo.

:?:

Setting: Illegal weapons lab. (Or, if you will, methamphetamine laboratory.)

Occurrence: Imminent police raid.

Setup: Many explosives, plus sloshed-around liquid combustibles.

Procedure: Bend down with hand to light aforementioned liquids using lighter. //not advisable
    Alternative Procedure: Drop match, then run like hell as it falls. //Better idea.

Better example that I saw and laughed heartily at on the weekend.

My friend got an old 44 gallon drum and turned it on it's side for a fire/spit roast. He put his wood and whatnot into the fire and decided to help it a bit by throwing some petrol on there as well. As he only had a bic, he tried lighting a cigarette then chucking that in there, no luck, so instead he lit the bic, and stuck his hand in there.

Picturing him diving for cover as the fireball exploded out of the drum still makes me smile thinking about it.

Note: Please don't do this.

Best example: pipe or bong. Pipe/bong + Zippo = No
    Nope, Im sorry, this myth is false.

I use my zippo on my pipe and bong with great success each time.

I don't know how that got started, but its not true. We were passing around our pipe and zippo tonite infact.

Filler Inc. on
    edited November 2006
    ALocksly wrote:
    I recall an anectdote I heard once where one of the physicists observing a nuclear test set up a parabolic reflector with an unlit cig held by a wire at the focal point. After the detonation he walked over, pulled it out and took a puff. Lighting a cig with a nuke.

Can anyone comfirm/deny this story? Supposedly the scientist was someone of note.
    Sounds fake since you have to suck in the flame for it to light...

Filler Inc. on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Filler wrote:
    ALocksly wrote:
    I recall an anectdote I heard once where one of the physicists observing a nuclear test set up a parabolic reflector with an unlit cig held by a wire at the focal point. After the detonation he walked over, pulled it out and took a puff. Lighting a cig with a nuke.

Can anyone comfirm/deny this story? Supposedly the scientist was someone of note.
    Sounds fake since you have to suck in the flame for it to light...

Um. I think a focused beam of nuclear light would probably negate the need for toking. You can set fire to a cigarette just by holding it in a flame for long enough. Taking a drag while you do it just speeds the process up. But yeah, toss a cigarette into the sun and it's not going to stay unlit for very long.
    milehigh wrote:
    I smoke a cigar now and then, and all the aficionado's at the place I smoke generally use the butane lighter/torches from a distance (toasting), and say lighting with a match can make the cigar take on the flavor of the match.

I'm sure I'd heard something like that somewhere before as well. I would've thought it would only be after the match was initially light and the sulfur head was still burning though. I guess petrol lighters would probably taint the flavour pretty bad as well.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2006
    Filler wrote:

I don't know how that got started, but its not true. We were passing around our pipe and zippo tonite infact.
    That sounds like a fun way to burn your fingers making everything taste like lighter-fluid while simultaneously wasting it at an alarming rate.

ViolentChemistry on
  • ALockslyALocksly Registered User
    edited November 2006
    Apologies for ressurectuing this thread but it took me a while to track this down.

The nuclear cigarette lighter:

But 'Project Orion' isn't just about the Project itself. It's also about the people, and that, to this reader was equally fascinating. No reader will forget Ted Taylor "Adding to his already considerable reputation by holding up a small parabolic mirror and lighting a cigarette with an atomic bomb. The fireball was twelve miles away."

http://trashotron.com/agony/reviews/dyson-project_orion.htm

“The following year, at the Nevada test site, Taylor held up a small parabolic mirror and lit a cigarette with an atomic bomb. The fireball was 12 miles away. “I carefully extinguished the cigarette and saved it for a while in my desk drawer at Los Alamos.” He remembered.”

http://makezine.com/images/07/strangelove.pdf

so...confirmed

Also if anybody cares, the critical clue to finding this came in the form of a personal e-mail from author Spider Robinson.

Well, it blew my socks off.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
    edited November 2006
    Filler wrote:

That sounds like a fun way to burn your fingers making everything taste like lighter-fluid while simultaneously wasting it at an alarming rate.
    Nope. Works fine, burns your fingers a lot less then a bic will, and it wastes the weed with the same rate as the bic.

However, if you want to get properly fucked and use the weed to its fullest, vaporizer. I love my vaporizer. I love it, love it, love it.

Filler Inc. on
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2006
    Alot of my friends smoke and I don't but they always need a light. I carry around a Zippo and its great. Does not blow out and can take alot of abuse. My Zippo has been washed like 3 times and it still works fine.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • coma whitecoma white Registered User
    edited November 2006
    Filler wrote:
    Filler wrote:

Nope. Works fine, burns your fingers a lot less then a bic will, and it wastes the weed with the same rate as the bic.

However, if you want to get properly fucked and use the weed to its fullest, vaporizer. I love my vaporizer. I love it, love it, love it.
    he meant the zippo wastes a lot of fluid, not weed.

coma white on
    closuresig.jpg