As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for fast and free CD Ripper

EdictEdict Registered User regular
Media player takes too long to rip entire CD to mp3. Does anybody know of a fast and free program that can do it quicker?

Edict on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The bottleneck isn't Windows Media Player, the bottleneck is your CD drive. Any program will rip a CD at roughly the same speed from the same CD drive.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    The bottleneck isn't Windows Media Player, the bottleneck is your CD drive. Any program will rip a CD at roughly the same speed from the same CD drive.

This.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    EdictEdict Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the quick replies.

Edict on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I use http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/ but like they said its not gonna be faster.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brian4120Brian4120 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, CD drive will defiantly be the bottleneck. I used Exact Audio Copy for my ripping needs (mainly because of my mom's scratchy disks) All you need is the LAME mp3 plugin and you are set.

Brian4120 on
    I'M HALPING!
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The bottleneck might also be the MP3 encoding code. LAME is also slow. Try using a Helix-based encoder. There might be a slight, probably imperceptible, quality drop. Although if you set it to max VBR and alter the settings to remove the usual lowpass filter it applies, it should be more than good enough.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The bottleneck might also be the MP3 encoding code. LAME is also slow. Try using a Helix-based encoder. There might be a slight, probably imperceptible, quality drop. Although if you set it to max VBR and alter the settings to remove the usual lowpass filter it applies, it should be more than good enough.

If he's using WMP he's not using LAME.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Plus any remotely modern computer is going to be able to encode to MP3 (pretty much regardless of settings or flavor of encoder) in pretty much "real time," which is to say as fast as the drive can pull the data off the CD. Like everybody else said, the bottleneck is almost certainly the drive and not the encoding software.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

That's why I said "Lame is also slow".

Notice the "also".

Plus any remotely modern computer is going to be able to encode to MP3 (pretty much regardless of settings or flavor of encoder) in pretty much "real time," which is to say as fast as the drive can pull the data off the CD. Like everybody else said, the bottleneck is almost certainly the drive and not the encoding software.

LAME tends to max out for me on my Phenom at 24x when modern CD drives can go up to 40x+. My Athlon 3500+ maxed at around 15x. The encoding software can absolutely be the bottleneck on modern computers.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    LAME is slow for a reason too, it doesn't do any short cuts. It's pretty much the best MP3 encoder out there.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It should be noted that speed is often inversely related to quality when talking about ripping and encoding.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    iTunes is retarded fast for some reason that I've never been able to figure out.

Either they harness the powers of evil to rip songs faster than mortal software, or they do some trickery to avoid doing a perfect rip, because they realize the mp3 encoding will make a "perfect rip" unnecessary.

xzzy on