As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star[chat]

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    hippie I more or less finished my warlock

can't wait to incinerate bitches with ya'll!

A warlock?

Great, one squishy bitch to take up my minor actions replaced by another squishy bitch to take up my minor actions.
    I'm excited about Sunday. I hope everybody makes it because we're gearing up for fun things, it seems. Also I was so happy that you're replacing Goose as he was a... well he was kind of a cunt half the time.

i'm an infernal warlock - I'm apparently not that squishy and can heal myself with my pact boon!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Changing it so Karma only affects those who believe in it... that makes it non-exclusive?

Not exclusive in membership, rather exclusive with regards to other claims about objective reality. Religions tend to be entirely inclusive in membership (Karma affects everybody period no matter what) but exclusive with regards to other theories (Karma and Heaven are mutually exclusive).

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    i'm going to blue dot this

don't infract me!

In the new version of vbulletin, blue dotting something gives you AIDS and SARS and EBOLA and in rare cases ONOMATOPOEIA.

Oh Jesus, it gives you onomatopoeia...that's a bad way to die, man.

Now I'm going to spend all night trying to figure out a way to make this deadly.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Elldren wrote: »
    ... Hinduism isn't exclusivistic.

Certainly some sects are, but other sects emphatically aren't, and most mainstream sects think it's a non-issue.

... I really shouldn't have looked in that thread.

It is in that Nirvana, the Trimurti, Karma, the semi-monist idea of the Atman, and various other aspects of it are not compatible with highly individualistic Judeo-Christian concepts, especially the Christian concept of grace, the savior, and, of course, atheist concepts.

That's ignoring the non-spiritual atheistic Hinduism, though they still get too New Age-y for my tastes.

So... Hinduism is exclusivistic because certain concepts are incompatible with those of religions/worldviews that are exclusivistic? That seems a pretty broad definition.

Well, let me rephrase it. Hinduism is exclusivistic thusly:

"You don't have to believe in Karma, but it still affects you and your future lives."

Just because I don't have to believe in it to ascend to various levels, in contrast to Christian heaven, doesn't mean it's not making exclusive claims. It's supposedly affecting me whether or not I believe, right? If you reduce it to just those who believe in Karma and reincarnation being affected by it, then that aspect becomes non-exclusive.

That still seems an overly broad definition of exclusivism. And as you said the more New-Age-y sects don't even hold that to be necessarily true, but even in mainstream Hinduism the idea that "our religion is the one true religion and you should convert," which to me seems the very heart of exclusivism, is outright rejected.

Notwithstanding, say, ISKCON, which is both New Age-y and exclusivistic.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Uuuuggghhhhhh.

My friend played WoW for like 5 hours today, and now says he's too busy to go to a bar because he's got too much homework to do.

Antisocial moron.

Unless that last part is sarcasm, there have been plenty of times that I would rather play a videogame (which is esentially free if you have already paid or are already paying for it), rather than spend money getting drunk for the bazongillionth time.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

don't infract me!

In the new version of vbulletin, blue dotting something gives you AIDS and SARS and EBOLA and in rare cases ONOMATOPOEIA.

I heard you go out with a bang.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, hippie, casual eddy probably has more hit points then you and generates temp HP every time he kills someone that he has cursed.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Uuuuggghhhhhh.

My friend played WoW for like 5 hours today, and now says he's too busy to go to a bar because he's got too much homework to do.

Antisocial moron.

Unless that last part is sarcasm, there have been plenty of times that I would rather play a videogame (which is esentially free if you have already paid or are already paying for it), rather than spend money getting drunk for the bazongillionth time.

Especially at a bar which tends to be expensive.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Uuuuggghhhhhh.

Antisocial moron.

There is a girl at that bar who has made it very clear that she wants to jump his bones.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Uuuuggghhhhhh.

Antisocial moron.

There is a girl at that bar who has made it very clear that she wants to jump his bones.

This statement irks me. How often are you guys going to a bar to be considered regulars enough to know other regulars.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

don't infract me!

I heard you go out with a bang.

I've heard it's more of a thunk.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Uuuuggghhhhhh.

Antisocial moron.

This statement irks me. How often are you guys going to a bar to be considered regulars enough to know other regulars.

I would love to be a regular at a bar. I'm trying to figure out if I'd be more like Cliff or Norm. I guess I could always be Frasier before he moved to Seattle.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I've never been to this bar before. I could have been clearer in my wording, a friend that is a girl that wants to jump his bones invited him to the bar.

Also, he's level 80 in wow and has 70 heroic boss token things already. Also, I know him far better then you so I can safely deem him anti-social. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Uuuuggghhhhhh.

Antisocial moron.

I would love to be a regular at a bar. I'm trying to figure out if I'd be more like Cliff or Norm. I guess I could always be Frasier before he moved to Seattle.

I didn't think you were old enough to know that show, Alecthar.

I guess that would make you the Creepy Old Guy at the Bar.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Back from a birthday party.

Random observation: the older I get, the less alcohol there is at parties.

Echo on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Uuuuggghhhhhh.

Antisocial moron.

Oh, in that case your analysis is correct.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I've never been to this bar before. I could have been clearer in my wording, a friend that is a girl that wants to jump his bones invited him to the bar.

Also, he's level 80 in wow and has 70 heroic boss token things already. Also, I know him far better then you so I can safely deem him anti-social. :P

I'm not disagreeing with the antisocial part. Bars are expensive and loud though. :P

Plus being 80 means nothing. I mean seriously within 48 hours a guild already was beating raid content.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

:|

So? Maybe he doesn't like her, maybe he doesn't feel like it. Maybe he put off his work playing WoW, but now he does have to study, and it would be stupid of him to delay his work more just because he did it yesterday.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Uuuuggghhhhhh.

Antisocial moron.

I didn't think you were old enough to know that show, Alecthar.

I guess that would make you the Creepy Old Guy at the Bar.

I used to watch that show with my parents when I was little. We now own the seasons up until the one where Diane leaves. So I have reacquainted myself with it.

It has really aged wonderfully, it's still quite funny. Though the Red Sox as perennial losers kind of dates the show.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Echo wrote: »

That doesn't surprise me.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    So you guys remember the inmates in the Philippines that did Thriller (I actually just posted the video in the Awesome Posts forum)?

Apparently this is a regular thing for them.

Soulja Boy/MC Hammer

Low

Black Eyed Peas

Canon in D

There's also a whole bunch others, like Do The Hustle, Jump, and I Need A Hero.

This is like...the best way to get people to conform to your methods I can think of.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    also I get the feeling you're not allowed to get drunk as often when you get older without it being weird

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That still seems an overly broad definition of exclusivism. And as you said the more New-Age-y sects don't even hold that to be necessarily true, but even in mainstream Hinduism the idea that "our religion is the one true religion and you should convert," which to me seems the very heart of exclusivism, is outright rejected.

See the bit right about this post about mutual-exclusivity, that's what I'm talking about. Incompatability with other theories, basically.

Eddy + Inky: I need to read through the PHB in full, but I'm noticing how independent they've made all the classes. This soul stealing thing warlocks do is pretty nifty.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Do any of the classes have buff spells? I was expecting more buff spells, like prayer of fortitude and arcane intellect and stuff.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Echo wrote: »

That doesn't surprise me.

Can't say I'm complaining. More actual talking and discussion, less WOOO BOOZE

Echo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    also I get the feeling you're not allowed to get drunk as often when you get older without it being weird

People start thinking you have a problem if you drink when you're older.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

See the bit right about this post about mutual-exclusivity, that's what I'm talking about. Incompatability with other theories, basically.

Eddy + Inky: I need to read through the PHB in full, but I'm noticing how independent they've made all the classes. This soul stealing thing warlocks do is pretty nifty.

I read it.

I think a distinction should be made between mutually exclusive and exclusivist, though. Especially as that is what impacts actual behaviors and attitudes.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Do any of the classes have buff spells? I was expecting more buff spells, like prayer of fortitude and arcane intellect and stuff.

I get a lot of buffing options, but I've gone for more direct and indirect healing. I'm sad that Bless isn't a basic spell anymore, though, like my other minor action spells.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You talking D&D spells?

I'm so behind on D&D. I had 3rd edition core rules + some splatbooks, but I never really got to play 3rd ed. Haven't kept up on what changed since.

Echo on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    GET LOW

Fourth Edition is fucking awesome quizzy get on aim

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    God damn that jacobkosh guy in the atheism thread is an annoying little shitstain.

Seriously, I would take a hundred Wonder_Hippie's in a religion thread over that guy any day.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I invited myself to AIM.

How 'bout them apples?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why can't we let chat threads go on for a few hundred pages?

I can't handle this sheer number.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I invited myself to AIM.

How 'bout them apples?

AIM is overrated.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I invited myself to AIM.

How 'bout them apples?

AIM is overrated.

I just roll with Pidgin so I can talk with whoever I need to.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I invited myself to AIM.

How 'bout them apples?

AIM is overrated.

I just roll with Pidgin so I can talk with whoever I need to.

gchat is all I use

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I invited myself to AIM.

How 'bout them apples?

AIM is overrated.

Yeah, but... What else is there really that is so significantly superior to AIM, I use use that over what just about most my friends were already using.

AIM isn't bad enough to warrant the inconvenience of using a kickass, indie chat client that no one's heard of.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    God damn that jacobkosh guy in the atheism thread is an annoying little shitstain.

Seriously, I would take a hundred Wonder_Hippie's in a religion thread over that guy any day.

What's he done that's so irritating?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I invited myself to AIM.

How 'bout them apples?

AIM is overrated.

Yeah, but... What else is there really that is so significantly superior to AIM, I use use that over what just about most my friends were already using.

AIM isn't bad enough to warrant the inconvenience of using a kickass, indie chat client that no one's heard of.

google > else

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's still forty minutes to go after my nap. And now I'm cold.

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.