Options

I need tower defense!

2»

• Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Iron Grip: Warlord was pitched to me as a multiplayer tower defense FPS. I've been meaning to check it out.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Iron Grip: Warlord was pitched to me as a multiplayer tower defense FPS. I've been meaning to check it out.

The art direction seems pretty solid, though it does look a little bit dated. iD tech 3 was a good engine, though.

Also the demo is downloading. God, I've got two papers due at the end of the week and I'm playing so much TD. This does not bode well.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just got offered a review code for Defense Grid, I will probably get my Mum to review it. She played it at PAX and loved it.

Edit: I got two codes, impressions in the next 24 hours. Anyone got any specific questions?

LewieP on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I just got offered a review code for Defense Grid, I will probably get my Mum to review it. She played it at PAX and loved it.

Edit: I got two codes, impressions in the next 24 hours. Anyone got any specific questions?

is it worth my money? It looks fun enough... but it is a heluva lot of money for a game that is usually of the free as beans variety.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Not got to play it yet, will tonight :)

LewieP on
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, I sunk another 2 hours into Defense Grid last night. I do enjoy it, and it does have a few unique and interesting game play ideas. I think I could recommend it in the $5 to $10 dollar range, it just seems to be a Flash game with nice graphics, and I don't think that is worth 20 bucks.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    iTouch & iPhone owners:

TapDefense is a great, free tower defense game.

FieldRunners is an even better looking, similarly playing game. It's $4.99 and worth the bucks.

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My two favorite Flash TDs:

Bloons TD 3:
    http://www.ninjakiwi.com/Games/Tower-Defense/Bloons-Tower-Defense-3.html

Great, cartoony style. Simple yet surprisingly deep gameplay.

Desktop Td:
    http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/Game.asp

Just a great maze builder/maul. Lots of replayable modes.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    gah, Lock's Quest is really hard, and the controls are sooo sloppy. Get stuck on more corners, Lock, that'll help!

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Heartlash wrote: »
    My two favorite Flash TDs:

Bloons TD 3:
    http://www.ninjakiwi.com/Games/Tower-Defense/Bloons-Tower-Defense-3.html

Great, cartoony style. Simple yet surprisingly deep gameplay.

Desktop Td:
    http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/Game.asp

Just a great maze builder/maul. Lots of replayable modes.

Bloons is great, perfect balance of simplicity and depth. Thanks for the link.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    towerdefense.net is filled with trojans and other shit, don't go there.

Edit: Fixed, sorry. Specifically it has a really annoying, brand new piece of malware that none of the standard programs catch.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why then did you make it a link?

Oats on
  • Options
    SaeadebSaeadeb Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/473259

A tower defense game released a couple days ago on NewGrounds.

Saeadeb on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by ~ctraxX
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oats wrote: »
    Why then did you make it a link?

I believe the forum software does that automatically. He probably should go back and edit it out, though..maybe throw a space in the URL so the forum doesn't do it again.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well I bit the bullet and bought Defense Grid a couple of days ago (haven't had much time to play with finals week and everything so it's taken me a little bit to play long enough to make a decent post about it). I must say, I'm quite enjoying it. There's not much to say in terms of content: it's tower defense. If you like it, you should like Defense Grid. It does look and run very well, which is a nice change from flash-based games (mostly in the looks department).

I also feel like the balance is a bit more fine-tuned. I'm not terribly good at tower defense games but I'm hacking my way through it. One of my favorite features is the checkpoint system. Every few minutes/waves, it saves a checkpoint which you can instantly reload by hitting the backspace key. This happens very seamlessly and makes correcting a previous mistake quite painless and means screwing up placement early on is much less frustrating than in traditional tower defense games without a save system. It also has a fast forward button for when the action is slow-paced and/or you know your defenses can stand up to what's coming.

The campaign has twenty levels, offering bronze, silver, and gold rankings on each. You get a bronze for beating the level, a silver for beating the level without losing any cores, and a gold for having lots of points. You get points per core you have left at the end of the level, for selling towers, and for having money left over at the end. I mostly get silvers. The game also offers challenge versions of campaign levels which I assume are just harder versions. It also has a mode where you fight endless waves of baddies as long as you can. Add achievements to that list and, if you're a completionist, you'll find plenty to do. If you're just going to run through the campaign once, well, twenty bucks might be a bit high.

This is a minor point in tower defense games but there is a story to it. The narrator who explains the game and the new towers as you go along is the only avenue for the story so far (I'm on the last mission so I don't think it will change) but the narrator is quite amusing and the voice acting is very well done. I won't give away anything about the story but I must say being a bit curious as to how it's going to turn out.

So all in all, I'd say it's definitely worth twenty bucks for me. I like having a game on hand in which I can just waste thirty minutes blowing shit up. If you like tower defense and feel like you could play through the same levels with increased difficulty or new strategy, I would certainly suggest this to you.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Saeadeb wrote: »
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/473259

A tower defense game released a couple days ago on NewGrounds.

I tried this and none of my units will do anything I say. Even if I set the AI to a task they'll do whatever they want.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Litejedi wrote: »
    towerdefense.net is filled with trojans and other shit, don't go there.

I can vouch for this. I got hit by something on their site the other day, and while I finally got rid of it, I was pretty pissed. It's too bad, too; I really enjoyed vector tower defense.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Having played Defence Grid now too, I agree with everything Vi Monks says.

LewieP on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of Immortal Defense, if I remember correctly from the last Tower Defense thread, our very own Fyrewulff is partially responsible for that gem.

Indeed! I also wrote the newly added level editor (well, the starting of it, the author had to finish it but most of the grunt work was mine). More people need to buy it so I can has royalties.

om nom nom royalties om nom nom

FyreWulff on